GUILTY In - Halee Rathgeber, 20, Fatally Shot, Warrick County, 24 April 2017 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Any news? Does IH have a new attorney yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder why they took the death penalty off the table already?
this is 100% speculation.. it sounds like death penalty necessitates a "more experienced" attorney, so maybe they're going away from that in hopes of a less experienced attorney so a conviction is more likely.

this is 100% speculation.. it sounds like death penalty necessitates a "more experienced" attorney, so maybe they're going away from that in hopes of a less experienced attorney so a conviction is more likely.

It seems that attorney isn't experienced for death penalty or life cases. This is snipped from the article.
The public defender said he wasn't certified to defend cases that include the death penalty or life in prison.

Sometimes the death penalty is taken off the table if the suspect provides certain information.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

It seems that attorney isn't experienced for death penalty or life cases. This is snipped from the article.
The public defender said he wasn't certified to defend cases that include the death penalty or life in prison.

IMO, counties have more than one public defender. If they have a dedicated public defender's office, surely there is at least one certified lawyer in the bunch. If not, I am sure the county could appoint someone who is certified to defend Isaiah Hagan. So ...... wonder why death penalty taken off the table so quickly? Maybe because he is cooperating with LE. :dunno:

IMO, counties have more than one public defender. If they have a dedicated public defender's office, surely there is at least one certified lawyer in the bunch. If not, I am sure the county could appoint someone who is certified to defend Isaiah Hagan. So ...... wonder why death penalty taken off the table so quickly? Maybe because he is cooperating with LE. :dunno:

I believe a defendant for a death penalty case is required to have two qualified and experienced death penalty defense attorneys. I wonder if the cost is too high for the county to prosecute a death penalty case? Isn't it an election year - would that play a role in this? IDK just a few quick thoughts that popped into my head.

I look for news everyday. Nothing lately. I hope her family is doing ok, they were all so close, it must be really hard.

I look for news everyday. Nothing lately. I hope her family is doing ok, they were all so close, it must be really hard.

Me too.

I did notice that the case is now available to view on Doxpop (or maybe it's been there for awhile, I'm not sure). It's case # 87C01-1705-MR-000203

The most recent thing I see is that his lawyer filed a motion to be moved out of Pike County jail. Hmm, I wonder why. I don't think it's a rough place.

Me too.

I did notice that the case is now available to view on Doxpop (or maybe it's been there for awhile, I'm not sure). It's case # 87C01-1705-MR-000203

The most recent thing I see is that his lawyer filed a motion to be moved out of Pike County jail. Hmm, I wonder why. I don't think it's a rough place.

Ohhh thank you!

Doxpop says there is a hearing scheduled for tomorrow on IH's motion to relocate the defendant. A progress hearing is set for June 5th.

Doxpop says there is a hearing scheduled for tomorrow on IH's motion to relocate the defendant. A progress hearing is set for June 5th.

I'm confused....I know big shock- LOL!
Doxpop states there's an Attorney Progress Hearing scheduled for 5/25, tomorrow at 9:30am. I was thinking the order to transport the defendant was to attend the hearing. Prior to the last attorney rescinding a court hearing was scheduled on 5/25 at 9:00am. Was a new motion to relocate IH due to changes with defense attorney and hearing time change?

According to Doxpop the motion to relocate IH was denied. Below are the minutes from Doxpop.

Court does not grant Defendant's motion but will allow Defendant to be brought to the Warrick County Security Center three (3) days per week to meet with his attorney beginning Tuesday, May 30, 2017; Wednesday, May 31, 2017; and Thursday, June 1, 2017. Defendant shall be transported to the Warrick County Security Center and shall remain on each of those days from twelve o'clock noon (12:00p.m.) until ten thirty (10:30p.m.), at which time he shall return to the Pike County Jail. Thereafter that schedule will continue on the following weeks until further order of the Court. State advises the Court that it will provide Attorney Phillips with partial discovery by tomorrow and will provide the remainder of discovery as soon as possible. Attorney Phillips requests that Defendant be relocated to the Vanderburgh County Jail; State has no objection. Sheriff Kruse advises the Court that Vanderburgh County Jail will not take Defendant.

Attorney Phillips requests that Defendant be relocated to the Vanderburgh County Jail; State has no objection. Sheriff Kruse advises the Court that Vanderburgh County Jail will not take Defendant.

This is probably because Vanderburgh County jail is overcrowded as it is, they can't take more people in and they're allowing house arrest for as many people as they can.

Article from March 2017:

The sheriff responsible for the safety of Vanderburgh County and Evansville told the committee his county leaders have rejected pleas for a larger jail.

“I have guards working consecutive 16-hour shifts in my jail,” said Sheriff Dave Wedding. “That’s unacceptable. They’re gonna get hurt, they get complacent, they get angry, it may cause them to assault a prisoner because they’re mad because they haven’t slept.”

Wedding said he has been thwarted in attempts to seek DOC funding for added space and programs to supervise offenders released from custody.

And when you have guards working long hours under these demands, things like this might just slip under the radar: http://www.courierpress.com/story/n...cer-prescription-drug-dealing-case/102191526/

It's probably safer for IH to be where he is anyway... JMO

This is probably because Vanderburgh County jail is overcrowded as it is, they can't take more people in and they're allowing house arrest for as many people as they can.

Article from March 2017:

And when you have guards working long hours under these demands, things like this might just slip under the radar: http://www.courierpress.com/story/n...cer-prescription-drug-dealing-case/102191526/

Is the Pike County jail far from Evansville?

About 45 minutes, it's a straight shot from Evansville/Newburgh if you take I-69.

Thanks- that's a long round trip for his lawyer if he's going multiple times a week. I'd guess that's why they wanted him closer.

Article from March 2017:

Maybe IH is related to a person who works at the Vanderbaugh County Jail and that's the reason VCJ won't take the defendant. I thought I read that somewhere, but I can't seem to find my source. Since I can't link a source this is not based on fact and only speculation.

As always.....MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine
Back