IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it hard to believe that 10 POI's all had a part in this. In fact, I think it's likely just 2-3 max. I think that the more people involved in a crime, the more likely someone would have cracked by now. I don't get the feeling these were "bad" kids. I think they were probably good kids, caught up in the party crowd, who made a really bad choice. IF the boys are involved, I really think it was probably some cover up of an accident or OD. I don't think there was a murder. I think they all acted out of fear. A couple or few may be able to contain that, but not likely 10.

Regarding her being in a car at the airport, while stranger things have happened, I don't see the likelihood of any student taking a car to the airport and leaving it to fly home for the summer. A. If they have a car, they'd likely drive home. B. It would be VERY expensive to pay to park a car at the airport for the entire summer. I have kids their ages. If my kids drove home for the summer, there's NO way they would not have been back in their car by now. In fact, we probably would have gotten a quick kiss and they'd be off to see friends within a few minutes of getting home for the summer.

I question at what point Lauren realized she lost her keys.
The call to DR was made at 4:15 and then she walks off into the darkness towards Smallwood. How did she think she was getting into that building? or was that her intention when she left JR's? She may have went to JW's, or known someone who had a key to let her in.
Is there an employee from Smallwood or someone else out there with a key to her apartment?
JMO
I do not assume she was as messed up as some on here and she could have sobered up enough to walk off from JR's with a plan to "call it a night and get some sleep"

LE needs to RULE IN that it's most likely something that occurred with her friends, OR RULE IT OUT so that stranger abduction search techniques can take the fore. ASKING businesses to give their videotapes? What about a search warrant so that they MUST and quickly, too??? TOO LITTLE AGGRESSION and aggression is needed. Sorry, just frustrated.

LE needs to RULE IN that it's most likely something that occurred with her friends, OR RULE IT OUT so that stranger abduction search techniques can take the fore. ASKING businesses to give their videotapes? What about a search warrant so that they MUST and quickly, too??? TOO LITTLE AGGRESSION and aggression is needed. Sorry, just frustrated.

I agree about the tapes. Also, if they haven't gotten them by now, it may be too late. Many businesses cycle over their tapes after a couple of days. It's a shame that they weren't received within a day or two. Yes, it seems to me as though LE is not assertive enough.

It doesn't appear as though there's any/enough evidence to rule in or out either way (friends vs. stranger). There could have been something on one of those business's tapes to have done that.

@ Elmomom and Mamamia: I just came across a blog site I didn't even know existed. IU provost wrote a letter to parents and new students who were/are here for orientation.

http://protect.iu.edu/lauren#provost

In it she mentions Lauren and here is a brief excerpt of the topic we were discussing the other day:

During New Student Orientation, you will learn more about IU's programs and the measures that can and should be taken to increase your level of personal safety. I urge you to take seriously these messages and to incorporate these recommendations and behaviors into your daily life.

I am just trying to wrap my mind around these kids’ statements and actions. Maybe the key to all of this is “between the lines,” so to speak. And, no, unfortunately, I don’t have the answers. I wish I did!

HT, in initial MSM interviews, made a point about what a wonderful guy JW is, and that she and LS had just met CR at the 500 a few days before and she didn't really know him. I think her inference was that she, HT, preferred JW over CR, whom she considered shady.

It has been reported that there were fights at the 500. TonyGatto.com has screen shots of tweets by AB about the fights.

It seems that LS and CR were attracted to each other. Perhaps LS sided with CR at the 500 fights and HT sided with someone else.

BTW, I am a little surprised that HT and LS were at JR's "all the time" freshman year, but they didn't meet CR until this year's 500.

Maybe JR and CR just met this year, but they did get arrested together outside of Smallwood on Halloween, 2010, if memory serves.

Another LS roommate, BW, also stated in an early MSM interview, that JW is a really nice guy. So at least two of the roomies were standing up for JW early on.

BTW, the WIBC radio interview posted earlier said that BW had been talking to the Spierers and was doing what she could from her home in the northeast to help find Lauren. So maybe she is the one friend who has talked to LS's parents.

Also, in an early MSM sound bite, MB said, “She WAS our friend.” (Emphasis mine) Maybe he was just nervous and didn’t get the tense right.

How’s that for a disjointed response? ;)

I hear ya.

Yes, I think HT may not have wanted to party with LS that night because she was miffed. Who wants to see their dear friend jilt a boyfriend when they like and care for said boyfriend.

I am surprised that HT and LS had not met CR before too. He may have been visiting on Halloween rather than living there. 5 North has a history of being a party house.

. . .Regarding her being in a car at the airport,
while stranger things have happened, I don't see the likelihood of any
student taking a car to the airport and leaving it to fly home for the
summer. . .
It isn't likely that a college student suddenly goes missing in the
mysterious circumstances that this one did & yet she is missing.
The likely possibilities have already been thought of & so far have not
appeared to yield the desired result.

So it is not unreasonable to begin to look at those less likely
possibilities.

I remember a case where an old lady died in her own home and was
considered missing for quite sometime until the time came to move
the furniture in the house and she was found dead behind some large
book case or something that she had fallen behind. A very odd case
to be sure and yet sometimes odd is what happens.

Like that young male college student that was missing & he had died from
an accident when he wandered into a maint. room that was supposed to
always be locked (only that one night it was not locked and he got
against some high voltage stuff.)

Leaving a car behind to fly home rather than drive might well depend
on where that person's family lived.
Someone from out of country or whose family lived several states away
might choose to fly home. Not sure why you find that so hard to
envision.

And while I do not know exactly why a car might not be used
if driven home and parked I can certainly see it as being one of those
oddball events that sometimes crop up in cases.

Even in the event of foul play an airport has been known to be used
to stash a body in a car parked in long term parking and so perhaps an
airport is not such a poor idea of a place to look.

And that is just one of several possibilities.

Show me some evidence that a crime happened & I will gladly begin
looking for 'who done it' possibilities to the exclusion of other possibilities.

So far I have seen wild speculations about drugs. Even LE has
not come out & said drugs were involved.

I have read speculation of a conspiracy of silence covering up either
a speculated overdose or a speculated accident or a speculated
murder. Yet there is no public evidence of any of those things.

Since there is currently no public evidence whatsoever of a crime
perhaps I might be forgiven for speculating of noncrime possibilities
while we all wait to see if any evidence of an actual crime comes to light.

A general comment:
I will comment that in general past cases which I have read searching
for a body was often the one weak link in the investigation.
Often I would read that a body was found in an area already searched
multiple times. Sometimes this was due to a dump happening after a
search had taken place but often it was just that the body was difficult
to spot. Hopefully everyone will keep their eyes open.

A previous poster said some kids in this group are likely to fly home and have their car delivered to them. I guess via a hired driver or shipped on a trailer. If someone from Bloomington goes to the airport to fly to another country they would get a ride or take a limo or shuttle unless they intend to hand their car off to someone else at the airport.

So for the first time, I'm really getting a different take on JW as a result of reading the excerpt below from this site http://mobile.dailypress.com/p.p?a=rp&postId=404357&m=b&sessionToken=&postUserId=49:

Wolff's friend told Fox59 News that Wolff was watching basketball several hours before Spierer disappeared and was under the impression his girlfriend was staying home at her apartment at Smallwood Plaza. He said Wolff went to bed at 2:30 a.m., about the same time Spierer and Rossman were coming home from Kilroy's Sports Bar.

The friend said Wolff received no phone calls or visitors in the hours after his fraternity brothers confronted Spierer and Rossman at Smallwood. The friend said Wolff called Spierer's cell phone the next day when it was answered by an employee of Kilroys'.

Just seems all too convenient that he knew so little and had such little info and activity while all this was happening.

Regarding cr's attorney claiming three or four other witnesses saw ls after cr, perhaps he was trying to be careful not to implicate the three boys known to have seen her. In other words, the 3 are mb, jr, and jrs friend and the 4th could be an unknown abductor.

A previous poster said some kids in this group
are likely to fly home and have their car delivered to them. I guess via a
hired driver or shipped on a trailer. If someone from Bloomington goes to
the airport to fly to another country they would get a ride or take a limo
or shuttle unless they intend to hand their car off to someone else at the
airport.
I hope you will forgive my not taking that as an absolute. Yes many might
well do as you have said but a car can be left in long term
parking & I see nothing to indicate that all students make the same
choice. I have not read anywhere that parking is not available
at the airport but let me know if that is the case.

(Any large airport in the state would work for the scanario.
I am not thinking of a small operational airport.)

I happen to know that some people do indeed fly and leave their
car in long term parking (in another airport) and then go pick it up when
they return.

Those I know of aren't at that airport or that college but it happens.
And it only takes one person in the right place at the right time to make it
happen in a case such as this.

I personally think someone may have come forward by now if it was an accident. Someone must be worried about his DNA being on her. Way back in a whole other life i was quite the partygirl and guys will do some strange things-cocaine doesnt help. Moo

I hope you will forgive my not taking that as an absolute. Yes many might
well do as you have said but a car can be left in long term
parking & I see nothing to indicate that all students make the same
choice. I have not read anywhere that parking is not available
at the airport but let me know if that is the case.

(Any large airport in the state would work for the scanario.
I am not thinking of a small operational airport.)

I happen to know that some people do indeed fly and leave their
car in long term parking (in another airport) and then go pick it up when
they return.

Those I know of aren't at that airport or that college but it happens.
And it only takes one person in the right place at the right time to make it
happen in a case such as this.

I see no reason for her to have crawled into the back seat of a nearby car, after locating magnetic keys to this car no less, when there are friends in apartments all around her. The only thing that allows me to accept your scenario is that anything is possible. I think abduction is much, much, much more likely. I don't find it too boring to look at the same limited evidence and speculation over and over again but from different angles. Frustrating, yes. To each our own.

I happen to also know people who leave their car in long term parking, but certainly not for an entire summer. At $12 per day (Indy's current rate) X 84 days (time between June 4 and when he'd presumably need to return for fall semester), that amounts to over $1,000. Regardless of income, I can't imagine parents making that foolish decision so it still seems very unlikely. I will agree with the poster that unlikely things do happen - that's part of the coincidences of life. I'm open to all theories - however there are some that just seem farfetched compared to others. That doesn't mean that I disrespect the intention of those who come up with them though. I think that right now, with virtually no word on any evidence, everyone is grasping, so I understand that.

Regarding the drug theory, yes that's speculation, but it's speculated because of rumors and comments from her friends, as well as LE publicly saying that they've received tips that this is what may have happened. We have reports of circumstantial evidence, which points to questioning her frame of mind (leaving her cell and shoes at a bar, losing her purse along her route, and HT saying that LS had gone out to party.) I'm not saying that she ODd either, but until I begin to hear reports that anyone flew home and left a car at an airport, this just seems too unrealistic comparatively.

I happen to also know people who leave their car in long term parking, but certainly not for an entire summer. At $12 per day (Indy's current rate) X 84 days (time between June 4 and when he'd presumably need to return for fall semester), that amounts to over $1,000. Regardless of income, I can't imagine parents making that foolish decision so it still seems very unlikely.

What if it was someone who was flying home for a short break before returning for a summer session or internship?

What if it was someone who was flying home for a short break before returning for a summer session or internship?

The second summer session began June 17, according to IU's calendar, so the student would have returned by now. As for an internship, if a kid hasn't started one by now, it's not likely. There are only 6 weeks of summer left. Most internships are for the entire summer. The greatest reason that I think this isn't only unlikely, bur nearly impossible, is that by now, there would be an odor emitting from a car. Those lots are monitored by security. Someone would have noticed by now. But hey, again - anything is possible. I just think this one is "out there", along with some others that I've read, but I wouldn't discount anything at this point. I just hope LE is focusing on the most realistic of theories. The obvious things should be ruled out before starting to grasp at straws IMO.

www.truecrimereport.com/2011/06/lauren_spierer_missing_in_indi.php
im just going back through news articles and found this one-it says in it that she was seen arguing with 3 men that morning-I know there was the fight at smallwood-could this be what they were talking about? I imagined it involved a larger group of guys. And i hope i posted the link correctly-im new to this and using my phone!

Yes, I think that's what they are referring to. BTW, there are many errors in that report. One would have to read all the updates to correct the misinformation previously published.

So for the first time, I'm really getting a different take on JW as a result of reading the excerpt below from this site http://mobile.dailypress.com/p.p?a=rp&postId=404357&m=b&sessionToken=&postUserId=49:

Wolff's friend told Fox59 News that Wolff was watching basketball several hours before Spierer disappeared and was under the impression his girlfriend was staying home at her apartment at Smallwood Plaza. He said Wolff went to bed at 2:30 a.m., about the same time Spierer and Rossman were coming home from Kilroy's Sports Bar.

The friend said Wolff received no phone calls or visitors in the hours after his fraternity brothers confronted Spierer and Rossman at Smallwood. The friend said Wolff called Spierer's cell phone the next day when it was answered by an employee of Kilroys'.

Just seems all too convenient that he knew so little and had such little info and activity while all this was happening.

All of your bolded type seems like a normal night. It is only when we know what happened that you associate suspicion with it. If I told you that I spent a night hanging out with buddies and went to bed at 2:30 you would say OK and think nothing more of it. I wish people would be more honest and just say they think JW is the culprit because he is a jilted boyfriend. There really is no evidence that points to him, except when people create their own stories or associate their emotions with his behavior. This is different than JR where a lot of his story doesnt make sense AND can not be verified.

All of your bolded type seems like a normal night. It is only when we know what happened that you associate suspicion with it. If I told you that I spent a night hanging out with buddies and went to bed at 2:30 you would say OK and think nothing more of it. I wish people would be more honest and just say they think JW is the culprit because he is a jilted boyfriend. There really is no evidence that points to him, except when people create their own stories or associate their emotions with his behavior. This is different than JR where a lot of his story doesnt make sense AND can not be verified.

To me it is the same as we have with JR. What we know, according to MSM, is that JW's friends had a confrontation over LS with CR at a little after 2:30. It DOESN'T make sense that he was not informed of this. His room mate says they all went to bed. As far as I am concerned, as long as the room mate is asleep, there is no alibi, and there certainly is no way to know whether or not JW had any incoming calls or texts.
Hearing your GF has left her phone at a bar, not being able to find her the next day, then calling her parents and alerting LE within hours - it is not normal or expected behavior given the facts that we know.
Add to that, JW has left town, does have a lawyer and is having his home still searched by LE as of last week.
Honestly, he's not my first suspect, but in no way is he my suspect just because of my emotions or feelings. He is a suspect because there is no reason NOT to suspect him given all that we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18