IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They're going to have to get the body anyway, and I would certainly hope they do an autopsy anyway. If (say) the perp said "she OD'ed on coke and we panicked", you'd want to verify that in case she had something else in her system or died by another cause.

I think the police would have a lot more leverage after the body was found to get an appropriate sentence.

With all due respect to the family, this girl has been missing for 2 months. It's been in the 90's for quite some time in Chicago and I can only imagine the heat wave that hit Southern Indiana. I certainly hope and pray that there is enough to do a successful autopsy with toxicology and come up with a conclusive cause of death. If she is in the landfill, trash is moved constantly and if memory serves, Lori Hacking was found rather quickly with rather difficult autopsy results. I pray that this beautiful little girl is found and the monster that did this to her will not get off on a technicality due to the condition of the body. Look at the Caylee case, unable to determine cause of death (though I won't mention what I think of that jury because I do believe in the justice system) but enough reasonable doubt to acquit. There are 10 POIs with their mouths sewn shut. 10 POIs that all have a %age of culpability - all "could have" been the one. I pray to God that video is the smoking gun, that they have 10 more videos confirming what they know, and LE is just waiting for a body, intact so that this poor family can put their little girl to rest peacefully and some POI will feel the prick of a needle delivering his final dose. So poignant for such a dispicable crime.

I talked to a family friend and former investigator about searching landfills and he said that they are either searched really early in the investigation (mostly because of physical evidence) or as a last effort (mostly because they exhausted all other options).

So, it does not leave much room for middle ground. He said that most investigators do not want to think about them because they are usually spending time searching leads. Initially on the premise that the victim is alive, and later on the premise that they are dead locally. Only after most leads have been followed up on do they allow themselves to think about landfills.

Also, he pointed out that 'last efforts' are usually at least 6 months down the line and that this 2-3 months missing is quite interesting.

He believes that two scenarios exist. Either there is so little physical evidence and so few leads that they are out of 'ideas' (for lack of a better word) and 'need' the body or more evidence. Or, one that I am hoping is true in this case, the investigation is very close to an arrest, but would like to 'slam dunk' it (his words) to make sure they have the right person.

Now this is a guy who rarely talks about his past profession. But, when he does, he is very insightful. It is weird that this is the first time we have discussed this case together as I got a big impression that he has been following it closely.

I talked to a family friend and former investigator about searching landfills and he said that they are either searched really early in the investigation (mostly because of physical evidence) or as a last effort (mostly because they exhausted all other options).

So, it does not leave much room for middle ground. He said that most investigators do not want to think about them because they are usually spending time searching leads. Initially on the premise that the victim is alive, and later on the premise that they are dead locally. Only after most leads have been followed up on do they allow themselves to think about landfills.

Also, he pointed out that 'last efforts' are usually at least 6 months down the line and that this 2-3 months missing is quite interesting.

I can only think that the 2-3 months and FBI involvement is because this case might have become bigger than LS, not that LS isn't enough, of course. But if there is a DD involved, or a drug ring, which contributed directly to LS' death or disappearance, it might be an additional motivator.

Furthermore, being able to contribute to a bigger solution might be giving her parents patience re: the landfill search. They can't change what's happened, obviously, but they may be able to help stop something similar from happening. Perhaps that will be LS' legacy.

In terms of the actual search, I wonder if any drugs/paraphernalia might also be searched for? Perhaps that's too specific, but if it was part of a "crime scene," maybe it was disposed of somehow as well. I may be thinking too much here, i.e., getting caught in detail.

PS: The other case I follow also had FBI involvement at one point. I suspect it was because a child *advertiser censored* ring could have been involved.

This tweet several minutes ago: http://twitter.com/#!/michellesigona

"I will have a live report in the 12-noon hour on MSNBC.. update on the missing college student, Lauren Spierer investigation @NewsOnLaurenS"

Possibly related is a tv program director from the D.C. area who has been posting recently on the LS case discussion FB page. She seems to think there is more than one investigation going on.

I can only think that the 2-3 months and FBI involvement is because this case might have become bigger than LS, not that LS isn't enough, of course. But if there is a DD involved, or a drug ring, which contributed directly to LS' death or disappearance, it might be an additional motivator.

Furthermore, being able to contribute to a bigger solution might be giving her parents patience re: the landfill search. They can't change what's happened, obviously, but they may be able to help stop something similar from happening. Perhaps that will be LS' legacy.

In terms of the actual search, I wonder if any drugs/paraphernalia might also be searched for? Perhaps that's too specific, but if it was part of a "crime scene," maybe it was disposed of somehow as well. I may be thinking too much here, i.e., getting caught in detail.

PS: The other case I follow also had FBI involvement at one point. I suspect it was because a child *advertiser censored* ring could have been involved.

Keylime, your post somewhat coincides to what I just posted via the D.C. person. I hope so anyway.

As an aside, since yesterday, I've been reviewing the Jim Behrman case, Bloomington year 2000. FBI joined that search two years after her disappearance. There was an unprecedented draining and searching of part of Salt Creek. Authorities were certain they were on the right track and she would be found. They came up empty and she was later found by hunters in a completely different area.

The FBI gets involved in cases for a number of reasons these days, it does not have to mean that multiple states or certain crimes are involved...they offer assistance or agree to help in order to provide better access to their labs, forensics, etc...I wouldn't read too much into the fact that the FBI is involved. JMO

Keylime, your post somewhat coincides to what I just posted via the D.C. person. I hope so anyway.

As an aside, since yesterday, I've been reviewing the Jim Behrman case, Bloomington year 2000. FBI joined that search two years after her disappearance. There was an unprecedented draining and searching of part of Salt Creek. Authorities were certain they were on the right track and she would be found. They came up empty and she was later found by hunters in a completely different area.

The tweet is intriguing ... can't wait for more info. I have butterflies today, not sure why. I get that the FBI involvement is no guarantee, but it's a good sign, IMO. Nothing against the BPD, but like cluciano notes above, the FBI brings more labs and forensics, etc.

I guess you never know how a case might turn. I think about this one upside down sometimes, like what if something unexpected happened before LS even met up with CR at JR's that started a ball rolling. But there's nothing to support that, of course, so it goes nowhere.

If nothing else, FBI involvement and landfill searching might get someone who knows something, yet has been keeping quiet on advice from their attorney to finally come forward through their attorney.

Also BBM:

"amid pressure from members of the public who have used social media sites to question why the 550-acre landfill hadn't already been searched"
http://www.lohud.com/article/201108...ll-may-searched?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|News

I was just reading up on the case of Jennifer and Abby Blagg, who were murdered by Michael Blagg in Grand Junction, CO several years ago, and Jennifer (wife) was eventually found in the local landfill, which was searched 7 months after they went missing. Abby (little girl) was never found. The search at the landfill was extremely difficult, time-consuming, dangerous, etc. and took quite a while before they found Jennifer. I think it was done after they had evidence that MB had disposed of some items in a dumpster at his work, but not sure of the timeframe between the dumpster evidence and the landfill search; I seem to recall the landfill search was kind of a "last ditch" effort, since they had searched everywhere they could think of.

I read a book about this case some years ago, and it described the landfill search in some detail, and it was a huge job...they had to search the trash by the square foot, basically and were working in triple-digits heat. They did know the general area of the landfill that needed to be searched, but had to remove 7 months of trash...in Lauren's case, one would hope it will be far easier, if indeed the trash was set aside...

I was just reading up on the case of Jennifer and Abby Blagg, who were murdered by Michael Blagg in Grand Junction, CO several years ago, and Jennifer (wife) was eventually found in the local landfill, which was searched 7 months after they went missing. Abby (little girl) was never found. The search at the landfill was extremely difficult, time-consuming, dangerous, etc. and took quite a while before they found Jennifer. I think it was done after they had evidence that MB had disposed of some items in a dumpster at his work, but not sure of the timeframe between the dumpster evidence and the landfill search; I seem to recall the landfill search was kind of a "last ditch" effort, since they had searched everywhere they could think of.

I read a book about this case some years ago, and it described the landfill search in some detail, and it was a huge job...they had to search the trash by the square foot, basically and were working in triple-digits heat. They did know the general area of the landfill that needed to be searched, but had to remove 7 months of trash...in Lauren's case, one would hope it will be far easier, if indeed the trash was set aside...

Saw that case on Dark Side Of The Mesa - 48 Hours Mystery .... it was a good show and they showed the landfill being searched - just about when ready to give up they found his wife wrapped up in something...
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/10/05/48hours/main647548.shtml

This tweet several minutes ago: http://twitter.com/#!/michellesigona

"I will have a live report in the 12-noon hour on MSNBC.. update on the missing college student, Lauren Spierer investigation @NewsOnLaurenS"

Possibly related is a tv program director from the D.C. area who has been posting recently on the LS case discussion FB page. She seems to think there is more than one investigation going on.

Do you have a link for this TV program director person?

Looks like the issue at VA Tech has put off the LS story

from Twitter feed: VA Tech breaking news creates change in show rundown for a Lauren Spierer update @NewsOnLaurenS - will tell you when it will air again soon

OT a little but i just realized something coincidental....
I have followed the cases of:

1. Jodi Huisentruit
2. Lauren Giddings
3. Lauren Spierer
4.Maura Murray
5. Brittanee Drexel

It seems all 5 of them have some serious movements/developments happening now...

I wonder if there is something cosmically to explain that? (i SOO miss the forensic astrology forum)

ETA I removed Holly Bobo's name as i had meant to put Maura Murray

OT a little but i just realized something coincidental....
I have followed the cases of:

1. Jodi Huisentruit
2. Lauren Giddings
3. Lauren Spierer
4. Holly Bobo
5. Brittanee Drexel

It seems all 5 of them have some serious movements/developments happening now...

I wonder if there is something cosmically to explain that? (i SOO miss the forensic astrology forum)

Well.. I have a nasty sinus headache, if that means anything... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back