IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I genuinely hope you are correct, Barry. A few cases have been solved lately that were pretty old and seemed cold. That gives me hope. The thought of logging into websleuths 20 years from now and this case sitting in the cold cases or missing but not forgotten sections makes me sick.

There appears to be monkey business concerning Lauren's cellphone. Something seems very strange about the 4:15 AM call as well.

I follow too many cases. Or maybe I'm just getting old. :) There was extensive discussion about the WH last summer, but I couldn't remember if cameras were confirmed or not. So, I did a search on Lauren's threads.

B'town went over to check and he said there were none on the outside of the building. He wasn't sure about inside the restaurant, but he didn't see any through the windows. You can read B'town's post at this link.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #7

Another member who is local said the WH does have a camera on the inside aimed at the door. And I do remember that there are two or three on the outside of the law office which I believe is on the northeast corner of the same intersection.

Also, here's a link to an interactive map that shows most if not all of the downtown Bloomington security cameras.

http://www.bloomingtonsecuritycameras.com/map.html

I wonder if LE checked the Waffle House receipts to see who paid their bill and left about that time of day. Of course if they paid cash and there was no camera, it would be hard to identify who that might be. One hopes they talked to the wait staff promptly.

Lauren last used her cellphone from Smallwood at 12:16 AM. Yet, she is expecting Jesse to contact her to meet up later. Why no activity after that? Perhaps she was missing her cell much earlier than we think. This would also explain why she would call David to ask about her lost phone when he did not go to Sports. Next, the 4:15 AM call from Rosenbaum's cell appears to have used a Martinsville tower. I may be able to explain that because of the weather. However these things have raised suspicion. And, it appears Lauren was set up by someone she knew and likely trusted.

Means, motive, opportunity. I feel that it's all there in some way, shape or form, just waiting to be all tied together. IMO, there are some clever people involved with this, but as is usually the case, not as clever as they think. This will be solved, I'm confident of that.

The first one who pops into my head when I read that is DB.

What I find puzzling is how the references to him in the mainstream and social media have disappeared. I wonder if LE suspects him but does not have enough evidence to arrest, and LE also does not want information leaked that would prejudice a jury.

Lauren last used her cellphone from Smallwood at 12:16 AM. Yet, she is expecting Jesse to contact her to meet up later. Why no activity after that? Perhaps she was missing her cell much earlier than we think. This would also explain why she would call David to ask about her lost phone when he did not go to Sports. Next, the 4:15 AM call from Rosenbaum's cell appears to have used a Martinsville tower. I may be able to explain that because of the weather. However these things have raised suspicion. And, it appears Lauren was set up by someone she knew and likely trusted.

Any proof that there was a ping from a Martinsville tower? I know there was a rumor about that, but I have never seen confirmation from a reliable source.

I watched this program the other night about a frat boy who shot and killed a KY football player (who was sitting on a porch one night) over a fraternity-related issue. The shooter is the son of a prominent and wealthy businessman. His conviction was overturned and he plead guilty to the lesser charge of manslaughter. Served a total of 4 years. Over the past few years he has been cited for drunk driving, harassment, and driving w/suspended license.

Nice-looking college boy from a good, upstanding family, right?

http://www.state-journal.com/news/article/5144891

Something about the story around DB's tweet bothers me ... the one about eating corned beef at the Runcible Spoon. If DB was in fact doing so, I'd assume that JR would be with him. Another poster suggested that, I believe. And as the mom of a college student, I'd expect it ... my kid wouldn't go to a restaurant for breakfast/lunch alone. Maybe DB would ... IDK. But it does make me wonder a bit about the tweet. For one thing, who/what would the tweet be for in the first place? It's not like the Runcible Spoon is famous or anything, right?

I'm running late to pick up my daughter, but if anyone has thoughts on this I'd be interested to hear them!

Well, I think I'm in the minority, based on previous conversations about DB, but I don't think the tweet sounds weird, and there hasn't been enough information to even convince me that he was with JR and LS that night. Without that information, it's hard to speculate whether he would have been with JR the next day or not... but based on the fact that he was never mentioned as a POI, or named in anyone's story about what happened, my guess is that this is because he was not around. If it turns out he was, then yes, I would find the whole thing odd and suspicious.

On another note: In case anyone read my post a few pages ago about the woman found rolled up in a carpet in an alley in my city that was suspected to be an overdose / panic situation -- Her 23 year old friend was just arrested in that case and was charged with committing 'an indignity to a human body'. He only faces 5 years, max. if convicted, but that's not a charge anyone is ever going to forget about.At least her family will, at the very least, have some kind of answers about what happened.

I still hold out hope that answers will be found in Lauren's case as well.

Something about the story around DB's tweet bothers me ... the one about eating corned beef at the Runcible Spoon. If DB was in fact doing so, I'd assume that JR would be with him. Another poster suggested that, I believe. And as the mom of a college student, I'd expect it ... my kid wouldn't go to a restaurant for breakfast/lunch alone. Maybe DB would ... IDK. But it does make me wonder a bit about the tweet. For one thing, who/what would the tweet be for in the first place? It's not like the Runcible Spoon is famous or anything, right?

I'm running late to pick up my daughter, but if anyone has thoughts on this I'd be interested to hear them!

I can tell you for a fact and based on first-hand experience as a customer, that the kids eat there as a group, especially after partying. They're hung over and they chow down. I've overhead their conversations. You can just tell by looking at them that they're still kind of drunk! Sometimes they're in their jammie clothes, you know?

It is tweet-worthy. It's unique because it's in a house and one of the few places where you can sit outside and not be on a main street. Generous, good food at great prices, a little grungy and has been around forever. (Back in the day it was the only place you could order a NY bagel and lox. Real boiled bagels made on the premises.) Apparently the Corned Beef is popular.

Well, I think I'm in the minority, based on previous conversations about DB, but I don't think the tweet sounds weird, and there hasn't been enough information to even convince me that he was with JR and LS that night. Without that information, it's hard to speculate whether he would have been with JR the next day or not... but based on the fact that he was never mentioned as a POI, or named in anyone's story about what happened, my guess is that this is because he was not around. If it turns out he was, then yes, I would find the whole thing odd and suspicious.

A lohud article (now gone) quoted HT as stating that JR had a friend from home with him that night. CR's attorney said that three or four other people saw LS after CR went to bed. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/0...ompanion-has-no-memory-last-moments-together/
MB and JR are two. DB would make three. Unknown abductor would be four. JR and DB have a known connection - a start-up media application at U. Michigan. Also, they are both AEPi members. http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-laur...udents-disappearance-20110613,0,5114556.story See also the LinkedIn page of DB at U Michigan.

I find it very curious that the media has neither implicated DB or cleared him.

I find it very curious that the media has neither implicated DB or cleared him.

There is nothing to clear him of, because he has never been named a POI, and as far as I know, his name has never even been reported by the media. I'm pretty sure it only came out because someone sleuthed JR's friends on Facebook and determined he was a friend and in Bloomington from the Runcible Spoon tweet. So, let's say he is the out of town visitor mentioned by HT -- There are still two possibilities: Either, he was in town but not with JR / LS that night. Or, everyone involved is protecting his identity and he has somehow managed to stay out of the whole thing.

I don't know the answer, but I think the first case seems more likely.

The quote from Salzmann is puzzling. How would he know how many people saw Lauren after Corey, when Corey doesn't remember anything and MB claims he didn't leave with her. I haven't given it too much thought though, based on other misleading things that Salzmann has claimed on behalf of his client.

I can tell you for a fact and based on first-hand experience as a customer, that the kids eat there as a group, especially after partying. They're hung over and they chow down. I've overhead their conversations. You can just tell by looking at them that they're still kind of drunk! Sometimes they're in their jammie clothes, you know?

It is tweet-worthy. It's unique because it's in a house and one of the few places where you can sit outside and not be on a main street. Generous, good food at great prices, a little grungy and has been around forever. (Back in the day it was the only place you could order a NY bagel and lox. Real boiled bagels made on the premises.) Apparently the Corned Beef is popular.

Thanks, Jupiter! It sounds like a cool place ... with lots of character ... and one you normally wouldn't go to alone. I also can't see DB being in Bloomington and not seeing JR ... they appear(ed) tight. I also wonder if DB knew anyone else in Bloomington. Maybe he was coming in as LS was going out or something? Long shot ...

There is nothing to clear him of, because he has never been named a POI, and as far as I know, his name has never even been reported by the media. I'm pretty sure it only came out because someone sleuthed JR's friends on Facebook and determined he was a friend and in Bloomington from the Runcible Spoon tweet. So, let's say he is the out of town visitor mentioned by HT -- There are still two possibilities: Either, he was in town but not with JR / LS that night. Or, everyone involved is protecting his identity and he has somehow managed to stay out of the whole thing.

I don't know the answer, but I think the first case seems more likely.

The quote from Salzmann is puzzling. How would he know how many people saw Lauren after Corey, when Corey doesn't remember anything and MB claims he didn't leave with her. I haven't given it too much thought though, based on other misleading things that Salzmann has claimed on behalf of his client.

I'd think that DB would have been in contact with JR is he was in Bloomington, based on their school history, etc. But that doesn't mean he hadn't already seen him, either.

I agree that the quote from Salzmann is odd. I have major doubt about CR's amnesia, but I also can't rule out that he returned to 5 North and passed out. Under either scenario, he couldn't verify when she left, or, for that matter, what MB did after the fact. If CR passed out cold, MB himself could have left without anyone knowing, for instance.

What you wrote about the woman found rolled up in a rug is sad. It seems like a short sentence for the suffering her family must have gone through ... but I'm glad they have closure.

B'town went over to check and he said there were none on the outside of the building. He wasn't sure about inside the restaurant, but he didn't see any through the windows. You can read B'town's post at this link.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #7

Another member who is local said the WH does have a camera on the inside aimed at the door. And I do remember that there are two or three on the outside of the law office which I believe is on the northeast corner of the same intersection.

Saw this post, so I went to Waffle House for a cup of coffee to go. There are no cameras inside or out that I could see.

As for cameras pointed at the door, there are 2 entry doors. Both of them have a device above the door that could be mistaken for a camera, but if you look closely its just scent sprayers, like they have in restrooms.

Does anyone know if 10th and College Village Apts have video cameras inside the building like SW does? Looking at the picture with the handrail, there is a door. Unless this is an emergency door that would set off an alarm, someone could exit, abduct LS, and never be seen by either camera.

Its not an emergency door.

I'll go find out if there is a camera inside.

To the best of my judgment, there are no cameras that have a view of the College Avenue west sidewalk until you arrive at Smallwood.

True, with one "possible" exception.

10th & College Apartments has 2 cameras pointed along the covered area of the building, on the East side that faces College St. They mostly see the covered area, but there are tiny gaps that can see the sidewalk just a bit. But identifying someone at night that passed by there, "if" the camera frame was just right? That's a big maybe.

10th & College Apartments - East Side
2rc8ug3.jpg

True, with one "possible" exception.

10th & College Apartments has 2 cameras pointed along the covered area of the building, on the East side that faces College St. They mostly see the covered area, but there are tiny gaps that can see the sidewalk just a bit. But identifying someone at night that passed by there, "if" the camera frame was just right? That's a big maybe.

10th & College Apartments - East Side

Indeed. Though I seem to recall the vantage of those particluar cameras to be concentrated on the entrances with pretty narrow focus.

Thanks for checking out the other stuff, if you are feeling particularly
sleuth-y, at one point the rental office for that building (entrance on 10th just east of the parking garage) had a large video display along the west wall (turn to the left when facing the desk) with a mosaic of all the security camera footage. This may of course have changed in the years since I saw it, but is what I'm basing my above opinion on.

Indeed. Though I seem to recall the vantage of those particluar cameras to be concentrated on the entrances with pretty narrow focus.

Thanks for checking out the other stuff, if you are feeling particularly
sleuth-y, at one point the rental office for that building (entrance on 10th just east of the parking garage) had a large video display along the west wall (turn to the left when facing the desk) with a mosaic of all the security camera footage. This may of course have changed in the years since I saw it, but is what I'm basing my above opinion on.

Good call.
I'll see about dropping in there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members