IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately I've been thinking of the Spierer family. Wasn't LS's sister to be married this month? It seems like I read recently (twitter Find Lauren maybe?) that October would be a difficult month for the family ... in my mind I was thinking that comment referred to the upcoming wedding. If the Spierer's were having a wedding, I imagine they would turn their focus on that happy event ( maybe take some time to do some healing too?) and then maybe, hopefully come back with a vengeance ( time for a civil suit?..)
Just thinking out loud. Good night!

Yes, this article mentions that RS was planning an October wedding. There may be no maid of honor, since that was to be LS's role. So even though the wedding is a happy event, LS's absence will keep it from being as happy as it should be.

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/st...d-the-truth-we-want-to-know-what-happened.sto

Another body has been found in the White River in Indianapolis. I suspect it is Waltton Ward. He had met a girl on the internet and went to meet her at Peppers, a bar known for jam bands. He called 911, but the call was disconnected. The 911 operator never tried to call him back or do any followup.
I'd bet this girl he met online had some thugs waiting outside in a car.

Thanks Jacobite. That link has an extra "http" though, here's the corrected address: http://www.wthr.com/story/19885850/lauren-spierers-mother-reaches-out-in-facebook-post

And CS's post:

We still need your help…..
Posted: 26 min 3 sec ago

I know someone has the information that could help us find Lauren. Maybe you feel it is too late to help Lauren and so why bother. What you might not be considering is the heartache your lack of action has caused our family and friends. The not knowing is almost unbearable. When I asked someone recently, why they thought no one was coming forward they gave two reasons…one was people are afraid that by sharing what they know they might get into trouble. The other reason was fear of being exposed through the media. Truly, could those be the reasons you are hesitating? If you know what happened the night of Lauren's disappearance, or if you have any information, please get in touch with me, either through this Facebook page or through any of the other avenues we have provided. Even if it is just to start the conversation, even if it is just to say you have information. If you have written an anonymous letter and feel you now have the courage to come forward, I beg you to do so. What we want more than anything is to show Lauren the respect she deserves by bringing her home. Hasn't she already paid for her mistakes with the ultimate sacrifice? Please…anything small could be big.

Charlene Spierer

http://www.findlauren.com/updates#announcements

When I asked someone recently, why they thought no one was coming forward they gave two reasons…one was people are afraid that by sharing what they know they might get into trouble. The other reason was fear of being exposed through the media.

I can see that these could be factors. I would also guess that only the person(s) who committed the actual crime know what happened, even if some people are suspicious that things don't really add up.

I wonder this about the friends and roommates of the POI though -- Do they think things don't add up? Only HT, as far as I know, has ever spoken up on their behalf. Do their friends and acquaintances support them? Do they have doubts? Do they have girlfriends or even girl friends who are cool with hanging out at their apartments or going home with them alone?

...I know my first instinct would be to believe my friends, if they said they had nothing to hide. It would make sense to me if they said their dads thought they should get a good lawyer, or that they were following their lawyers advice. At this point though, I think I would have some nagging questions. Like: Don't you wonder why, if your friends have nothing to hide, they wouldn't simply take a real polygraph? Why have they been so reluctant to cooperate fully with LE and the Spierers? Why, when two POI have the same lawyer, would one take an LE polygraph, but the other, one of the last to see Lauren, would not?

Maybe I would think they don't know anything that is relevant but might be worried about getting in trouble for other stuff that could make them look bad or have legal consequences. But almost 1.5 years later, Lauren's still missing and it's clear that refusing to fully cooperate with LE has consequences too. Several of the POI remain under suspicion and comparing the one person who has been forthcoming and taken an LE-administered polygraph (DR) to the others, I would say the consequences of being honest - even if it doesn't paint you in the best light - seem better than being known as a POI in a missing person case.

The other obvious consequence is that their lack of full cooperation has no doubt, hindered the investigation. Maybe in the first week, if I believed a random kidnapper was about to be caught, I might have thought the actions or knowledge of the POI about that night may not be relevant. But again, more than a year later, there are no signs of a random kidnapper. All signs of trouble begin and end with CR, MB and JR. Even if they are innocent of harming Lauren (especially if they are innocent!), full cooperation could have answered some important questions and allowed resources and brain power to diverted elsewhere, especially in the crucial early stages of the investigation and search.

So legally and/or personally, what risk would these guys have that outweighs that? Would, for example, covering up sharing a few lines of coke (hypothetically) make their actions make sense? Covering for someone else? Or would it only make sense if they had something bigger to hide?

Obviously, they have the right to hire a lawyer (or a high profile team of lawyers) and to refuse to take a polygraph, and these things do not imply guilt. They don't necessarily make sense either though...

...These are just the thoughts that would keep me up at night, if these guys were my 'friends'.

CS mentions that perhaps someone sent an anonymous letter and she encourages such a person to come forward.

I wonder if they have received an anonymous letter that gives more information than has been made public, but gives too little information to find Lauren.

Another body has been found in the White River in Indianapolis. I suspect it is Waltton Ward. He had met a girl on the internet and went to meet her at Peppers, a bar known for jam bands. He called 911, but the call was disconnected. The 911 operator never tried to call him back or do any followup.
I'd bet this girl he met online had some thugs waiting outside in a car.

The body found on Saturday has been identified as Roger Wightman, age 45, a homeless veteran (I wish those two words never had to be used together that way).

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=5634020&nav=9Tai

However, Walton Ward's mother says that her son's body was found in the White River. Maybe there were two bodies in the White River? Maybe Walton's mother jumped to a bad conclusion?

Just noticed that there is no date on the article about Roger Wightman...

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/loca...TV_News+(WISHTV.com+|+Indianapolis,+IN+-+News)

to play devil's advocate - i'd never take a lie detector test no matter how innocent i was of a crime. they're not admissible in court because they're unreliable. you're not helping your case by taking one even if you're innocent, however you are opening yourself to the scrutiny of the masses by refusing. the bright side is the masses don't convict you of a crime, the courts do. my 2 cents.

to play devil's advocate - i'd never take a lie detector test no matter how innocent i was of a crime. they're not admissible in court because they're unreliable. you're not helping your case by taking one even if you're innocent, however you are opening yourself to the scrutiny of the masses by refusing. the bright side is the masses don't convict you of a crime, the courts do. my 2 cents.

Yeah, I know they are not admissible in court, and see your point. At the same time, they are still an important investigative tool, and (generally) an easy way to clear your name, if you are innocent. And the fact that they are not admissible in court means that you are not going to get wrongly convicted by a `failed`polygraph too, right?

If I had nothing to worry about, and taking an FBI polygraph would mean moving the investigation of a missing friend ahead and giving some peace of mind to her parents, I would do it without question. I believe most people would.

Wow, glad I stopped by because I didn't see Charlene's update in my FB newsfeed and I was just sitting around deciding what to do for lunch when I pulled down my Favorites.

Absolutely, Abbey! I would most certainly take a real polygraph to help find a missing friend! wtf, how could a friend hesitate?! Is our only hope that these guys might come to their senses IF they grow to become independent, mature adults with a soul?

Ah, but there is a court of public opinion and CR is guilty by a jury of peers.

Reason #1: People are afraid that by sharing what they know they might get into trouble.

What kind of trouble might this be?

* Arrested by police for a crime?
* Beat up or taken out by someone scary, rich, or otherwise powerful?
* Other...?

Reason #2: Afraid of being exposed through the media.

* A tipster can remain anonymous so this would imply a role such as an accessory or a level of guilt, does it not?

Yeah, I know they are not admissible in court, and see your point. At the same time, they are still an important investigative tool, and (generally) an easy way to clear your name, if you are innocent. And the fact that they are not admissible in court means that you are not going to get wrongly convicted by a `failed`polygraph too, right?

If I had nothing to worry about, and taking an FBI polygraph would mean moving the investigation of a missing friend ahead and giving some peace of mind to her parents, I would do it without question. I believe most people would.

totally respect where you're coming from but - how many people do you think hear that someone "failed" a polygraph and think "well polygraphs are sometimes wrong"? probably never. how many hear that someone "passed" one and think that proves innocence? probably most of the time. i'm not interested in subjecting myself to anything that doesn't prove anything - including psychics, astrologists, or lie detectors. i'm also not interested in living out my days being "convicted" by the public because i subjected myself to something that doesn't prove anything.

i bring this up solely as a means of stating that sometimes a person's refusal to take a polygraph doesn't mean they're guilty of anything. we all have to live within our own sense of right and wrong, fair and unfair. my 2 cents.

If LE is fairly sure of what happened but do not have the evidence to prove it, then that *might* explain why the nephew of my friend who was a Sports that night was never interviewed. I ran into my friend a few weeks ago and asked him. I was surprised to hear this.

Ah, but there is a court of public opinion and CR is guilty by a jury of peers.

exactly. i'll stop posting OT after this, and i hope beyond hope to never be suspected of anything nefarious (other than never remembering to return library books on time), but if i was a name in a case like this i'd lawyer up immediately and the last thing i'd do is say or do anything that local yokels and the internet could scrutinize for the next fifty years. i'd be willing to help le but not flame the fires of public opinion.

totally respect where you're coming from but - how many people do you think hear that someone "failed" a polygraph and think "well polygraphs are sometimes wrong"? probably never. how many hear that someone "passed" one and think that proves innocence? probably most of the time. i'm not interested in subjecting myself to anything that doesn't prove anything - including psychics, astrologists, or lie detectors. i'm also not interested in living out my days being "convicted" by the public because i subjected myself to something that doesn't prove anything.

i bring this up solely as a means of stating that sometimes a person's refusal to take a polygraph doesn't mean they're guilty of anything. we all have to live within our own sense of right and wrong, fair and unfair. my 2 cents.

" we all have to live within our own sense of right and wrong, fair and unfair."

Yeah, who cares about the suffering of others.

exactly. i'll stop posting OT after this, and i hope beyond hope to never be suspected of anything nefarious (other than never remembering to return library books on time), but if i was a name in a case like this i'd lawyer up immediately and the last thing i'd do is say or do anything that local yokels and the internet could scrutinize for the next fifty years. i'd be willing to help le but not flame the fires of public opinion.

"local yokels"

Nice.

...but if i was a name in a case like this i'd lawyer up immediately and the last thing i'd do is say or do anything that local yokels and the internet could scrutinize for the next fifty years. i'd be willing to help le but not flame the fires of public opinion.

Well, if this case is any indication (Compare DR to JR/ MB/ CR) -- local yokels and the internets will scrutinize your refusal to take a polygraph more than the results anyway ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackojohnnie