IN - Mark Sandifur, charged with child molesting, Flora, 28 Aug 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Also we have some great sleuths in here. Apparently MJS was also arrested 2/13 before for rape by force but was found not guilty at trial... Anyone know how to find out how he was found not guilty?
That prior case can be found in MyCase. It lists some witnesses for him who must have given testimony that helped the jury find him not guilty IMO.

Also we have some great sleuths in here. Apparently MJS was also arrested 2/13 before for rape by force but was found not guilty at trial... Anyone know how to find out how he was found not guilty?
That prior case can be found in MyCase. It lists some witnesses for him who must have given testimony that helped the jury find him not guilty IMO.

Anyone know, is this going to trial soon? Is Indiana still on an upswing with the covid-19 cases?
EDIT...
Never mind I found it.
05/13/2020
Hearing Scheduling Activity
Jury Trial originally scheduled on 05/11/2020 at 9:00 AM was rescheduled to 08/17/2020 at 9:00 AM. Reason: Court's Own Motion

Last edited:
Thank you for the update @sunshineray! I don't know know why I haven't kept up posting on this thread - I can't even find it in my bookmarks.

I have made a note of the trial on 8/17/20 - was wondering if there might be any hearing before the trial?
TIA! :)
Nothing else except the jury trial is scheduled for him. Looks like there are 3 days set aside for it. Here's the last entry:

08/17/2020 = Jury Trial
Session: 11/18/2019 9:00 AM, Rescheduled
Session: 11/19/2019 9:00 AM, Cancelled
Session: 11/20/2019 9:00 AM, Cancelled

Session: 02/10/2020 9:00 AM, Rescheduled
Session: 02/11/2020 9:00 AM, Cancelled
Session: 02/12/2020 9:00 AM, Cancelled

Session: 05/11/2020 9:00 AM, Rescheduled
Session: 05/12/2020 9:00 AM, Cancelled
Session: 05/13/2020 9:00 AM, Cancelled

Session: 08/17/2020 9:00 AM, Judicial Officer: Diener, Benjamin A.
Session: 08/18/2020 9:00 AM, Judicial Officer: Diener, Benjamin A.
Session: 08/19/2020 9:00 AM, Judicial Officer: Diener, Benjamin A.

Thanks @FrostedGlass - wondering if this is going to be a Bench Trial - you know, with the Judge instead of a jury. Otherwise I believe this trial is not going to be happening....
I don't see any notation of it being a bench trial; only "Jury Trial". I agree with you about the likelihood of it not happening. IIRC, didn't each county submit its own plan for when it would resume normal court hearings? From the snip below, the courts have latitude to act as they see fit; maybe the counties with low Covid-19 cases will proceed as normal and others will stick with the current plan? According to the Indiana dashboard, Carroll Co. has had only 185 cases and 2 deaths.

The Indiana Supreme Court issued a statement to all courts on July 17 regarding extending the deadline and other things. Here's a snip from it:
"The Supreme Court’s May 29, 2020 order addresses tolling and permits courts to extend criminal trials beyond the August 14, 2020, tolling deadline based on a finding of congestion of the court calendar or locally existing emergency conditions for good cause shown. Non-emergency proceedings can be continued, if possible, by agreement of the parties. In civil cases, the parties can request motions for continuances or to extend procedural deadlines as provided in the Trial Rules.
• Remote proceedings, subject to constitutional limitations and as directed by the Supreme Court’s order—which has been extended through December 31, 2020— are still possible and encouraged."

He is still scheduled for Monday.

DoxPop has a schedule for almost all Indiana courts. At the link, click on the area below the IN map that directs you to court cases. From there, click on your county of interest; you can scroll by the day or week. Click on each court date to find the details.
Doxpop

I was really excited to find the schedules because IN has begun live streaming its court cases. Here's a link to the portal
IN Courts Public Portal

Monday, August 17th:
*Trial set to begin (@ 9am CT) – IN – 13 year old (August, 19, 2019 & goes back a year, Flora) - *Mark Joe Sandifur (36/now 37) arrested & charged (8/21/19) with 3 counts Level 4 felony charges of child molesting & 1 count of Level 1 felony charge of child molesting. Plead not guilty. $100K Surety bond (10% cash). Bond posted by mother & released (9/2/19).
Trial set to start on 8/17/20 (thru 8/19/20)
8/23/19 Update: Initial hearing. Charges read, defendant requests counsel; court finds defendant is not indigent & will have to seek counsel on his own. Plead not guilty. $100K Surety bond (10% cash). Omnibus hearing on 10/6/19 & trial set on 11/18/19. Additional term of Defendant's bond is that Defendant shall have no contact with A.S., the alleged victim M.S, and Parties minor children, L.S and J.S. Mother posted bond.
9/26/20 Update: Defendant's Motion to Vacate No Contact Order, filed September 6, 2019, is submitted to the Court. With the agreement of the parties, hearing on Defendant's Motion is continued without date to be rescheduled upon written motion.
10/15/19 Update: Defense files motion for continuance. 11/15/19 Update: Hearing on Motion to Vacate No Contact Order is set for 12/4/19 at 10:00 a.m. & moved to 12/6/19 & pretrial conference hearing also as 10/16/19 was rescheduled and jury trial cancelled for 11/18/19. Next pretrial hearing on 2/10/20.
12/17/19 Update: The Court now grants Defendant's Motion to Vacate No Contact Order as it relates to Abigail Sandifur. Defendant shall have no contact with alleged victim, M.S or the minor children L.S. and J. S. And trial moved to 5/11/20.
5/13/20 Update: Jury Trial originally scheduled on 5/11/20 at 9:00 AM was rescheduled to 8/17/20 at 9:00 AM. Reason: Court's Own Motion (COVID-19).

Does anyone know if we can watch the streaming of the court hearing today ??
I cannot seem to find it anywhere.
TIA

Does anyone know if we can watch the streaming of the court hearing today ??
I cannot seem to find it anywhere.
TIA

Apparently some Indiana court sessions are live streamed. FrostedGlass posted a link above. This particular one doesn’t seem to be streaming today. Because the charges involve a minor, it wouldn’t surprise me if it is not streamed at all.

Apparently some Indiana court sessions are live streamed. FrostedGlass posted a link above. This particular one doesn’t seem to be streaming today. Because the charges involve a minor, it wouldn’t surprise me if it is not streamed at all.
Thank you-- I gave up looking after searching for all morning LOL

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CapeCodTodd
Back