GUILTY IN - Mercedes Lain, 11 mos, extreme danger Plymouth, 12 Aug 2021 *3 Arrests, includes parents*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Deleted my post. So sorry. You’re right. Bad decision made in heated moment.

It's all good...I was confused for a bit thought he was giving an actual address with house #, then understood when he said wooded area near the intersection near Marshall county line. I mapped it then made sense to me.

Felony NEGLECT????

Does that mean he left her there to....

Omg. No. I just can't.

Or is that a preliminary charge as he was acting custodian and steeper charges will follow, pending autopsy and COD/MOD?

Heart sick.

JMO

I know that addiction changes people, impedes judgement ,but WHY??? Why does it come to this?? Why continue to have children? Why are they able to decide they need a 'babysitter' but choose someone who has no business being near a baby, instead of someone who loved her and who could keep her safe? Why do these people never say - in moments of intermittent sobriety between highs - my kids deserve better? Why isn't there a moment of Either, I can't raise them right, so I'm going to give them up so I can get high OR I need help so someone take the kids while I go seek help?

WHY do they think they can do both drugs and parent without hurting, endangering or killing themselves or their kids? Why do they think they can be fully present and give these tiny human beings all the love and guidance they need when drugs become the priority?

I understand that true addiction leads to people choosing drugs over choosing their loved ones. But I cannot understand not having any ability to sense that one's children shouldn't pay and suffer for your own demons.

Imaging where baby Mercedes should be -warm, happy, and secure in a clean home with toys, learning to walk and speak her first words and feeling nothing but love .. Instead of where she is right now, in a tiny body bag headed to the morgue for her autopsy.

:(

On Wednesday, Miller told police that he was at a residence in Mishawaka “on or about August 14” and woke up to find Mercedes had died. He then told investigators he disposed of her body at a Starke County property located at 1025 E. and 50 N. He eventually led officers to the scene, where they found the girl’s remains.

Missing 11-month-old Mercedes Lain found dead in northern Indiana, police say

Felony NEGLECT????

Does that mean he left her there to....

Omg. No. I just can't.

Or is that a preliminary charge as he was acting custodian and steeper charges will follow, pending autopsy and COD/MOD?

Heart sick.

JMO
No. Stop. He couldn’t have. No! No one could do that to a baby, right?

okay, so I now see he claims he woke up and found her dead. Sure. Just a coincidence. I am so interested in these autopsy results.

eta:
Her parents, Tiffany Coburn and Kenneth Lain, were charged with neglect of a dependent for handing the child over to Justin Miller, who was also charged with neglect of a dependent, resulting in death. A conviction on that charge could carry a 20 to 40-year sentence.

“We’re still…we haven’t even had an autopsy yet. Actually, she was wrapped in…it’s not in the affidavit. I can’t go into it,” he said.

“The conversations and the timelines that were provided were so garbled. You’ll also see there was evidence of drug use,” said Chipman. He said the parents finally told police they handed their child off to Miller so they could have some peace and quiet for the weekend. Miller never returned her.

Chipman said there was no proof the parents knew anything about what had happened to the girl, and they were quite upset when they were informed the child was found dead.
Mercedes Lain Found Dead in Starke County - 93.1FM WIBC

Last edited:
Heartbreaking ! Agree with all comments above. We really need to start holding CPS more accountable for their lack of effort to protect children that have been reported ( according to family) and also have the history of these ! Prayers to Mercedes, you have been let down by those who were to protect you. I am sorry!!!!

I know that addiction changes people, impedes judgement ,but WHY??? Why does it come to this?? Why continue to have children? Why are they able to decide they need a 'babysitter' but choose someone who has no business being near a baby, instead of someone who loved her and who could keep her safe? Why do these people never say - in moments of intermittent sobriety between highs - my kids deserve better? Why isn't there a moment of Either, I can't raise them right, so I'm going to give them up so I can get high OR I need help so someone take the kids while I go seek help?

WHY do they think they can do both drugs and parent without hurting, endangering or killing themselves or their kids? Why do they think they can be fully present and give these tiny human beings all the love and guidance they need when drugs become the priority?

I understand that true addiction leads to people choosing drugs over choosing their loved ones. But I cannot understand not having any ability to sense that one's children shouldn't pay and suffer for your own demons.

Imaging where baby Mercedes should be -warm, happy, and secure in a clean home with toys, learning to walk and speak her first words and feeling nothing but love .. Instead of where she is right now, in a tiny body bag headed to the morgue for her autopsy.

:(
Why? Ask CPS they are the ones that kept closing the case. They had the ultimate power,now they are nothing more than accomplices in my very blatant unadulterated opinion.

No. Stop. He couldn’t have. No! No one could do that to a baby, right?

okay, so I now see he claims he woke up and found her dead. Sure. Just a coincidence. I am so interested in these autopsy results.

eta:
Her parents, Tiffany Coburn and Kenneth Lain, were charged with neglect of a dependent for handing the child over to Justin Miller, who was also charged with neglect of a dependent, resulting in death. A conviction on that charge could carry a 20 to 40-year sentence.

“We’re still…we haven’t even had an autopsy yet. Actually, she was wrapped in…it’s not in the affidavit. I can’t go into it,” he said.

“The conversations and the timelines that were provided were so garbled. You’ll also see there was evidence of drug use,” said Chipman. He said the parents finally told police they handed their child off to Miller so they could have some peace and quiet for the weekend. Miller never returned her.

Chipman said there was no proof the parents knew anything about what had happened to the girl, and they were quite upset when they were informed the child was found dead.
Mercedes Lain Found Dead in Starke County - 93.1FM WIBC
Pfffft They could have had the willing family members take her, but noooooooo. I bet they weren't even feeding ML properly if at all. I bet there wasn't a diaper bag,with provisions to care for her. I bet starvation,dehydration, will be a contributing factor in her death,along with meth,or other intoxicants. MOO

Oh, my heart. Here we are once again.

I am currently going back to college to get a degree in Criminal Justice with a minor in Sociology...... my goal is to eventually get into the state of LA CPS system. I can't take it anymore. These babies have to be taken care of. :(

Oh, my heart. Here we are once again.

I am currently going back to college to get a degree in Criminal Justice with a minor in Sociology...... my goal is to eventually get into the state of LA CPS system. I can't take it anymore. These babies have to be taken care of. :(
I’m so proud of you. Very proud. I have a double Psy/Soc. My initial desire was to become a psychologist. It didn’t take too long for me to determine what I really wanted was to help myself and my family, so I pivoted toward Sociology. My professor was once an inmate himself - white collar crime - so I ended up with a public state service career in Corrections and Investigations. The sociology will help you so much - community and social dynamics surely play a big role in your goal. Good luck to you. Education is very vital in our society. Knowledge is so powerful. We will always have children in this world that are left to fend for themselves. We need more people like you.

Lain and Coburn tried numerous times to contact Miller; when they finally got a hold of him, he said he’d dropped the girl off with a neighbor. However, that turned out not to be true.

Coburn dropped a duffel bag off at a different neighbor’s house; the bag contained a safe that police believe contained “illegal narcotics.”

Police said Miller told them that Lain contacted him on Aug. 12 to discuss buying synthetic marijuana. The conversation then turned to difficulties the parents were having with the little girl.
Missing 11-month-old Indiana girl found dead, investigators say | WGN-TV

Coburn dropped a duffel bag off at a different neighbor’s house; the bag contained a safe that police believe contained “illegal narcotics.”

Police said Miller told them that Lain contacted him on Aug. 12 to discuss buying synthetic marijuana. The conversation then turned to difficulties the parents were having with the little girl.
Missing 11-month-old Indiana girl found dead, investigators say | WGN-TV

Miller, who the affidavit describes as a relative of the parents, told officers he had used synthetic marijuana several times during the time he had Mercedes in his care.

Kenny Lain and Tiffany Coburn both face one count each of neglect of a dependent for allegedly giving their child to Miller to care for, Chipman said. They also are expected to appear for initial hearings on Friday, he said.
Body of missing 11-month-old girl found in northern Indiana

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arling
Back