GUILTY IN - Mercedes Lain, 11 mos, extreme danger Plymouth, 12 Aug 2021 *3 Arrests, includes parents*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If only they had given their baby to a responsible relative.

I speculate very few details of their story are true, though. From the type of drug they wanted to the reason why they abandoned their baby. If it was really for a "break," they would have chosen someone trustworthy.
Drugs can bring out evil in some. JMO.

Last edited:
I'm tremendously saddened, angered and frustrated at these events, and for poor little Mercedes. This is 100% another death that CPS should have prevented. I know so many of us feel deeply for the little ones left in these situations and are angered at the child protection agencies that seem to be doing nothing for the kids left to grow up in these dangerous, trauma inducing environments.

Not all hope is lost.

If you're able and motivated to help, every state (except ND) has a CASA program- (Court Appointed Special Advocates) which helps give abused and neglected children a voice, a mentor, and a protector- someone who will speak up for their needs and best interests.

I know that for Mercedes and so many other children like her, we can only seek justice now. But if it may help relieve our collective grief and start the process of healing, there are so many children who need the passionate, compassionate, headstrong child advocates that so many of us WS users are.

Rest peacefully, Mercedes. I hope you get justice and your siblings are soon able to grow and flourish under the care of loving adults. MOO.
Eloquently stated. Thank you.
upload_2021-8-19_16-47-17.jpeg
https://www.giveachildavoice.us/

I just found this thread and also saw this link from People mag. -- Please excuse if it's a repeat.

That sweet, perfect, beautiful and precious little human being. I too hope, as @Rose in SC said above, this little girl had someone who truly loved her and showered the love all over her in her short little lifetime.
Just dammit.
-------------------------------
Missing 11-Month Old Indiana Girl Found Dead in Woods as Parents, Caretaker Arrested

Police say Mercedes Lain was found Wednesday night after 9 p.m.

By Chris Harris
August 19, 2021 10:55 AM

-----------------------------
Missing 11-Month Old Indiana Girl Found Dead in Woods as Parents, Caretaker Arrested

Last edited:
It must vary by state. I listened to the podcast on the Hart kids called Broken Harts and they described how the kids came to be in the system prior to adoption. One set of kids were placed in foster care when their single mother was found to have an alcohol problem. That's all. She had a sister, or some family member who offerd to take the kids but was denied. The kids were put up for adoption within a year of being removed and the mother didn't seem to be given much time at all to recover or improve. I was shocked at how quickly the kids were put up for adoption!! Even when there was a family member willing to take them. And that turned out just great in the end...
orrin and orson seem to have been adopted out quick as well. of course we dont know the particulars.

Lain and Coburn tried numerous times to contact Miller; when they finally got a hold of him, he said he’d dropped the girl off with a neighbor. However, that turned out not to be true.

Coburn dropped a duffel bag off at a different neighbor’s house; the bag contained a safe that police believe contained “illegal narcotics.”

Police said Miller told them that Lain contacted him on Aug. 12 to discuss buying synthetic marijuana. The conversation then turned to difficulties the parents were having with the little girl.
Missing 11-month-old Indiana girl found dead, investigators say | WGN-TV
The wording is slightly vague regarding who was selling and who was buying. Since the parents had the drugs, did they call Miller in anticipation of selling some to him? and did he say he had no money but would watch the baby for them in return for some of that weed? I'm pretty sure he wasn't babysitting out of the kindness of his heart.

<modsnip>

I would bet that many posters here do help children and families with kids who are in need or struggling in real life, and I'm not sure that these parents didn't have clean, sober, family and friends who would've been willing to care for Mercedes. But they chose to leave her with a fellow drug user.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would do that, let's not forget this sweet babe had family willing to take her, but So called CPS kept closing the case. So the so called parental units handed her off to their Druggie cohort out of spite for the family who did all they could for ML. MOO
I disagree, Family did call CPS, IIRC however I have not read on MSM that they would take her until after she was missing and that was in comments so not anything we can rely on. I think this child was failed by many. Obviously the parents suck IMO but I think there was failure all across the board. IMO

I would bet that many posters here do help children and families with kids who are in need or struggling in real life, and I'm not sure that these parents didn't have clean, sober, family and friends who would've been willing to care for Mercedes. But they chose to leave her with a fellow drug user.
I've recently read that two different family members are raising the older three children. They also said they called and reported to CPS, but they closed the case each time.

My guess is, the parents may have thought they wouldn't get Mercedes back if she went to family, I doubt either work so that may have been how they have a roof over their heads and food. Also, since the Father is already known to trade children for drugs. There may have been something beneficial for him with Justin Miller as well, who knows. None of those people are going to tell the truth, so anything they have told LE is suspect. I will be even more devastated if the autopsy indicates SA.

I've recently read that two different family members are raising the older three children. They also said they called and reported to CPS, but they closed the case each time.

My guess is, the parents may have thought they wouldn't get Mercedes back if she went to family, I doubt either work so that may have been how they have a roof over their heads and food. Also, since the Father is already known to trade children for drugs. There may have been something beneficial for him with Justin Miller as well, who knows. None of those people are going to tell the truth, so anything they have told LE is suspect. I will be even more devastated if the autopsy indicates SA.
It's sickening knowing they could get just maybe two short years,get out and breed more victims. MOO

Exactly - we don’t know what we don’t know but someone knew this baby was in the hands of these people - someone saw her and reported it in Mishawaka - and now she’s dead - where was he staying with the baby?? How can this have happened ? How can it be prevented ?
Heartsick over this baby girl
JMO

If only they had given their baby to a responsible relative.

I speculate very few details of their story are true, though. From the type of drug they wanted to the reason why they abandoned their baby. If it was really for a "break," they would have chosen someone trustworthy.
Drugs can bring out evil in some. JMO.

Exactly. I’m sure there were multiple options for childcare. I believe they “rented out” their baby to some scummy drug dealer. For drugs.

Like Shaniya Davis.

I know that addiction changes people, impedes judgement ,but WHY??? Why does it come to this?? Why continue to have children? Why are they able to decide they need a 'babysitter' but choose someone who has no business being near a baby, instead of someone who loved her and who could keep her safe? Why do these people never say - in moments of intermittent sobriety between highs - my kids deserve better? Why isn't there a moment of Either, I can't raise them right, so I'm going to give them up so I can get high OR I need help so someone take the kids while I go seek help?

WHY do they think they can do both drugs and parent without hurting, endangering or killing themselves or their kids? Why do they think they can be fully present and give these tiny human beings all the love and guidance they need when drugs become the priority?

I understand that true addiction leads to people choosing drugs over choosing their loved ones. But I cannot understand not having any ability to sense that one's children shouldn't pay and suffer for your own demons.

Imaging where baby Mercedes should be -warm, happy, and secure in a clean home with toys, learning to walk and speak her first words and feeling nothing but love .. Instead of where she is right now, in a tiny body bag headed to the morgue for her autopsy.

:(
I had a biology teacher in high school ( for 2 of my high school years my school had one of the highest teen pregnancy rate in the whole country) who advocated licensing for parents. Just how it sounds. The big flaw was there isn't a male birth controls. Well that and we live in a free country. But seriously, in most states if you're a felon you loose your right to vote, get a DUI you loose your right to drive, pimp out your kid.... You see where I'm going with this right?

Because social workers/CPS do not want the foster children to become attached emotionally to their foster families.

That's completely not accurate. I work for CPS/Foster Care, and in my 32 years I have never heard of a Caseworker being told to discourage foster families from forming a bond with the child. In fact, we work hard to place a child with a family who is a good match for the child, in the hopes that if the child can't return to their parent, then the foster family will become a permanent resource through adoption, or as a support in a teenager's life once they turn 18 and go out into the world on their own.

Those bonds can extend far past the child's return to his/her home, and those foster parents may end up being part of that child's life forever. We see former foster families who still refer to kids who were placed with them as their brother/sister, who spend holidays and vacations together, and who act as grandparent to the foster child's own children. One of my best friends' parents were foster parents back in the last 60s/early 70s -- when my friend's dad died a couple of years ago, six of those former foster kids showed up at calling hours, Greg hadn't seen them since around 1976, but his parents had made that much of an imprint on those kids' lives.

Bonds are formed, or they're not -- we're all people, and some people just don't get on well with each other. Many kids come into care with behavior problems and conditions that prove too much for one foster family, so we have to move the child to a different setting in the hopes that they can provide what the child needs. When kids have to be moved to another foster home placement, sometimes it's DSS's fault for not picking the right foster home, sometimes it's the foster family's fault because they have a personality clash with the child, and sometimes it's the child's fault because they think if they misbehave enough we'll run out of options and have to send them back home sooner. Regardless of the reason, it's not because CPS doesn't want them to form a bond with one another.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyTheSleuth
Back