GUILTY IN - Owen Collins, 3, Bluffton, 17 Jan 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
OT is there a way to link using Tapatalk? I'm sure you'd appreciate a kink from me.[emoji3] thank you Tlcya for cleaning up after me..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder after the tox screen comes back if there will be further charges?

OT is there a way to link using Tapatalk? I'm sure you'd appreciate a kink from me.[emoji3] thank you Tlcya for cleaning up after me..

Not a problem georgiasblu, many of my friend/members use tapatalk and I am used to pulling and posting links for them :)

I personally do not post to WS from my phone so I am not sure if there is a user friendly way to post links. I just use the tapatalk version to check in a read occasionally. All posting comes from my PC or laptop. Maybe one of our more proficient members will chime in.

Sorry all for the OT

I use tapatalk and sometimes I can start a post, press my home button to exit, open my browser and copy the link, reopen tapatalk and add the link to finish my post, sometimes it closes it out though , so...

other times I post half of what I want, get the link and come back and edit the post to add the link.

When I want to snip and or post a link, I copy (highlight the text) from the webpage I'm viewing. Then, I click the icon at the bottom of the page ;a square with an up arrow that stands for "Email Page" - another menu pops up and I choose "Mail"

The page switches to outgoing mail on my iPhone. It contains the name of the article and the URL/link. I paste the snip into the email. Then I highlight to "select all" to copy the title and move it to the body of the message. Finally, I copy everything and I also save the draft just in case I make a mistake.

You can simply copy & paste the link (minus the snip & the article title & post it onto the thread). From your post, you can make edits as well. Whatever is easier for you.

I then post the reply here (either in the quick reply box at the bottom or by clicking the dots at the top right and creating a full post. Tapatalk automatically formats the URL tags for you.

This is what works for me for iPhone. Sorry for the long O/T. HTH....

I can't believe they have not shut down ZB's fb page yet. I can't stop reading over there. I'm thinking and I could be wrong that they haven't shut it down yet as they are waiting for something or someone to slip up. To many people hung out with these people and knew them and knew there was a drug problem. Poor sweet Owen never had a chance with these monsters.

BLUFFTON, Ind. (WANE) – The two adults charged in the death of a 3-year-old whose body was found badly burned in the woods in rural Wells County are each facing six felony charges.
Zachary Barnes and Breanna Arnold both face the following charges:

• Neglect of a dependent resulting in death – level 1 felony
  • Two counts of neglect of a dependent – level 5 felony
  • Obstruction of justice – level 6 felony
  • Altering the scene of death – level 6 felony
  • Abuse of corpse – level 6 felony
http://wane.com/2015/01/22/charges-filed-against-those-accused-in-3-year-olds-death/

Thank you georgiasblu for the heads up on this new info.

These guys are never going to see the light of day. Rightfully, thankfully.

How can I/we take this horrible situation and help in a positive way...as Kimi said, Owen's life "Meant Something!"
People ( we, I) can complain about the problem(s) all day long...How can we help make Owen's life and death mean something in the big scheme of things?! Maybe help educate people about the disgustingness and dangers of meth? Like really spread the word that its not cool folks...I mean, at least weed is natural, kwim?...Flood the internet with more pock mark photos and true accounts just like this...thinking out loud...)...Man, meth is so horrible!

(Eta, Btw, Ftr, this post is huge progress for me. Normally it would be nothing but curse words and expletives.)

(I don't think these people will be respected much in prison either jmo)

I'm afraid they will not get murder charges because they will say it was unintentional:(

I agree. For felony murder to apply it would have to be intentional. Indiana does not have a second degree murder statute but I was hoping to see an involuntary manslaughter charge but my hopes are vanishing. Now hoping for the max sentence (40 yrs.) on the neglect of a dependent resulting in death charge along with consecutive sentences to serve on the other charges. Knowing the area the state will drop some charges and let them plea out. At least Indiana recently changed the law as to where 75% of the sentence has to be served before chance of parole, it used to be 50%.

I agree. For felony murder to apply it would have to be intentional. Indiana does not have a second degree murder statute but I was hoping to see an involuntary manslaughter charge but my hopes are vanishing. Now hoping for the max sentence (40 yrs.) on the neglect of a dependent resulting in death charge along with consecutive sentences to serve on the other charges. Knowing the area the state will drop some charges and let them plea out. At least Indiana recently changed the law as to where 75% of the sentence has to be served before chance of parole, it used to be 50%.

I fully expect them to plead their case, that it wasn't intentional. They'll find defense attorneys who will help them to build upon this with their life histories - which may or may not contain the cycle of drugs and/or abuse. That's what they do and I encourage you to prepare for it. Their lives are on the line. Their rights now matter more than Owen's ever did or will as a victim. That is the current system - and the Constitution guarantees the rights of the defendant(s) only.

I know I sound like a broken record, but we need to change this. But, I digress,,,

When you sit back and really look at this case, how can this level of child abuse NOT be proven intentional beyond a reasonable doubt? The chemicals used to make it are likely carrying clear warning labels. The perps are likely users who know what the drug does to their own minds. Did they really believe that exposing the children to those poisonous, mind-altering chemicals and watching the damaging effects, no matter the euphemistic label they put on it - wasn't going to hurt them? I'm sorry, but their feigned ignorance is not an excuse for intention! Just because they say it does not make it so. It does not relieve them of the responsibility of common sense - no matter how much their actions represent idiocy!

That's like allowing your child to walk on thin ice, near a swimming pool unattended, near a hot stove or open fire. Then, they get hurt (or worse) and your excuse is you didn't intend for it to happen. I believe that intent will not be enough to shield their actions leading up to Owen's death.

Neighbors will testify to the cycle of abuse as ear and maybe even eyewitnesses, if people are willing to do right by Owen now that he's gone! :cry:

I can't imagine Owen had never been screened by a single healthcare professional his entire life. The doctor(s) can be subpoenaed. Standard screening questions and trainings that mothers are asked about drug use can be asked and brought in. If Owen was withheld care, that can be brought in. The prosecutor and the State are now Owen's voice. Their job is to make the case for intentional child abuse. I still believe there's a way this can be done (maybe not exactly as I've posted) to get to felony murder. These perps don't deserve a chance at freedom.

The State has a tough hill to climb, no doubt. Thank you twall for bringing this important info to the thread. People need to know the laws of their state, because it matters when cases like these occur.

Perhaps I will be wrong, and Felony Murder won't be proven. As sad as that would be IMO, maybe Owen's legacy will be amending the law to include 2nd degree murder. All I know is that if his death does not result in major change - his loss was a more than a major turning point in our society. I have faith in the people of Indiana.

:praying:

#JusticeForOwen

I agree. Kimi_SFC it seems obvious to me that putting poisonous chemicals into someone cup is just that - poison.

Imo - No different than the mom that just put poison in her kids apple juice or a perp slipping someone GHB (or worse). That is something that was thought out and done - not oops I left my kid unattended for a few minutes and they got into something and died! A real parent that does have that happen calls 911 immediately for help to save their kid. Owen's "mom" and her friends instead went into their bedroom to go get high UNTIL the next effing day!!!! What? how could it possibly be anything less than murder? They put poison into two kids cups, they then went into the bedroom, got high and didn't come out until morning. She finds him and his lips are blue, they don't call for emergency help- they wrap him in caran wrap.

I dont know the different terms for different states, but I do know that someone can be charged with vehicular homicide for getting into an "unintentional" accident that killed someone. Just by being negligent to common laws creates the homicide charge. There is absolutely no "unintentional" harm in putting illegal drugs in a toddler's bottle. There just isn't. That is intent to harm, if I have ever seen it. You didn't give him too much apple juice, not realizing that it had sugar and could cause cavities. You put crystal meth in his bottle. And you killed him.

I dont know the different terms for different states, but I do know that someone can be charged with vehicular homicide for getting into an "unintentional" accident that killed someone. Just by being negligent to common laws creates the homicide charge. There is absolutely no "unintentional" harm in putting illegal drugs in a toddler's bottle. There just isn't. That is intent to harm, if I have ever seen it. You didn't give him too much apple juice, not realizing that it had sugar and could cause cavities. You put crystal meth in his bottle. And you killed him.

A million times this ^^^^

:goodpost:

Excellent in fact. :tyou: mpnola!

Am I th r only one who wonders if this "drugging" story is made up? If true, while incredibly stupid and dangerous, it certainly as we have seen, isn't charged the same as a beating that turned deadly.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

I don't know if we'll ever find out the whole truthful story. I've been trying to get a feel of things by reading on Facebook, but all I see is a bunch of immature teens and young adults pointing fingers and spreading rumors. Hopefully the autopsy and toxicology results will shed some light. Was he really drugged? When DID he pass? I think he'd been dead longer than they said he was.

The difference between drugging and beating would show up on the autopsy. Drugging is systemic and partially burning a body won't hide it. Beating is easier to hide, but if bones were broken or broken and and re-healed, that will show up. If the child shows neither, it will be more difficult. Wishing the medical examiners wisdom as they go about their work.

They think it was so fun to give those babies drugs. I just can't get over how stupid someone can be. And then to burn the child. OMG they deserve to go to prison, they are not humans at all.

I am thinking very much about Owen this morning. I am going to have my kids grow up with so much love, because we all start out as small innocent children. What went wrong with some.

I don't know if we'll ever find out the whole truthful story. I've been trying to get a feel of things by reading on Facebook, but all I see is a bunch of immature teens and young adults pointing fingers and spreading rumors. Hopefully the autopsy and toxicology results will shed some light. Was he really drugged? When DID he pass? I think he'd been dead longer than they said he was.

I think so too. And then I think of the older brother. Poor boy would have known something was wrong with Owen. He probably tried to tell the parents and was ignored or punished.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuLuWooWoo
Back