GUILTY IN - Owen Collins, 3, Bluffton, 17 Jan 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have not read any reports that name the minor. generally, news media stateside does not name minors charged with crimes unless they are being charged as adults. Previously the 16 year old had simply been referred to as an unnamed 16 year old or "Face" which is apparently his streetname/nickname.

Can you link to the article from the local Bluffton source where you see his name printed. TIA

I pmed you the link. I do not know how to redact from articles so I did not post
I have not read any reports that name the minor. generally, news media stateside does not name minors charged with crimes unless they are being charged as adults. Previously the 16 year old had simply been referred to as an unnamed 16 year old or "Face" which is apparently his streetname/nickname.

Can you link to the article from the local Bluffton source where you see his name printed. TIA

I will post some snips and redact his name to initials. Thanks kdgdid. I also want to ask a mod to weigh in on this minor when one has time.

The minor is charged with the crimes relating to Owen's death and the disposal of his remains just as the adults in the home are. I know that until he is charged as an adult we cannot use his name here. Where I am a a bit unsure is, can we sleuth him as he is charged in this crime so long as we do not name him in the threads? Or must we wait until charged as an adult? Thanks for all you do mods.

Behind the alias is 16-year-old ZB who allegedly confessed to helping put Owen's body inside a box, taking him out to the woods, and lighting him on fire.

Unlike Owen's mother and her boyfriend who were dressed in jail garb and protected by bullet proof vests for their court appearances last week, B entered the Wells County Courthouse in jeans and a t-shirt.

His parents were next to their son as the five charges against him were read

http://www.21alive.com/news/local/C...nvolved-In-Death-Of-3-Year-Old-289804781.html

Interesting snip from the new article. Makes me wonder about some stuff said on the blufftucky local FB page.

21Alive has also learned, through a close family friend, that Owen's 6-year-old brother was staying with family after his mother's arrest. However, he has since been placed in foster care.

http://www.21alive.com/news/local/C...nvolved-In-Death-Of-3-Year-Old-289804781.html

Maybe LE read those comments too and have removed him so they can do a very thorough investigation into those allegations. Please let this little boy have a chance at a real future, put him in the arms of parents that will love him.

I will post some snips and redact his name to initials. Thanks kdgdid. I also want to ask a mod to weigh in on this minor when one has time.

The minor is charged with the crimes relating to Owen's death and the disposal of his remains just as the adults in the home are. I know that until he is charged as an adult we cannot use his name here. Where I am a a bit unsure is, can we sleuth him as he is charged in this crime so long as we do not name him in the threads? Or must we wait until charged as an adult? Thanks for all you do mods.

Behind the alias is 16-year-old ZB who allegedly confessed to helping put Owen's body inside a box, taking him out to the woods, and lighting him on fire.

Unlike Owen's mother and her boyfriend who were dressed in jail garb and protected by bullet proof vests for their court appearances last week, B entered the Wells County Courthouse in jeans and a t-shirt.

His parents were next to their son as the five charges against him were read

Let's wait until he's formally charged. Thanks for asking. ,)

Hoping for max charges and max penalty here. Wtf did they think was gonna happen when they drugged (i.e. poisoned) a kid?! How would that ever, EVER, possibly end well!

About the minor-someone asked this on a social media news page and according to the reporter the judge is allowing the public to attend the minor's hearings before he is formally charged as an adult since it is such a high profile case therefore the media outlets can publish his name at their discretion.
I did not know this was even an option until this case!

About the minor-someone asked this on a social media news page and according to the reporter the judge is allowing the public to attend the minor's hearings before he is formally charged as an adult since it is such a high profile case therefore the media outlets can publish his name at their discretion.
I did not know this was even an option until this case!

Is it a linkable social media page? Because that would help. I thought I had read that the hearing to determine if he will be charged as an adult is set for February 2.

Barker didn't show any emotion as the judge revealed the prosecutor on the case wants to see him tried as an adult. A hearing on that request is scheduled for February 6th at 8:30a.m.

In the meantime, Barker will be held in the Delaware County Juvenile Detention Center.

Oops, sorry the 6th. Regardless, adult charges are not decided yet, although the Prosecution is pushing for it. I hope they get it.

Why was this "kid" allowed to be living with them in the first place? Shouldn't he have been in school?

I realize its the least of the trouble they are in, but can they still be charged with providing drugs to a minor if he ends up being charged as an adult?

Recent cases have made me realize I must have just been lucky with the meth addicts I've known.

My favorite Aunt was a meth addict for years.
She still would have given you the shirt off her back and she adored my kids.

Her son (my favorite cousin) was always the same way.
He put others before himself and never would have dreamed of hurting a child.
In fact, he's in jail now because he beat the crap out of a friend (not meth addict) who abused a child (shaking.)

I literally would have trusted these people to babysit before I would have trusted my own mother.
(Not that I ever trusted ANYONE to babysit anyway!)
My mother was a pill addict and was very mean to just about everyone.
I guess my meth addict experience has just been very fortunate. :twocents:
Thanks for that reminder. We see so many stories here where the people addicted to drugs are complete villains. But good people get addicted, too. My uncle was an alcoholic who died of liver failure and he was a really decent guy who never hurt anyone.

What addiction does to good people, is take away their ability to do the good they would normally have done; their addiction is sucking away their energy and their focus and keeping them either high or on the hunt for more of their drug. When someone does something like killing little Owen, we can't say, "Oh, they're meth addicts; it was inevitable," because we'd have to ignore all the meth addicts who don't kill their kids, all the people who are just addicted and trapped and wouldn't hurt an innocent child no matter how high or desperate they got.

There's a third variable here, one that makes people more likely to do meth and more likely to hurt others--call it sociopathy, call it inability to understand consequences, call it impulsivity.... It's the mindset that says, I care about me, now, and I don't think about anyone else, or even about my own future. That's something that makes people vulnerable to drug addiction as well as more likely to commit violent crime. But it's those decisions, that personality type and lack of caring, that causes both things. Drug addiction alone, without that "I don't care about others" mentality, won't turn anyone into a violent criminal. It may ruin their lives, but it won't make them a cold-blooded killer.

This is good news. Thank you twall.

So, is it still wishful thinking to hope for Felony Murder Charges? :thinking: :waiting:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbm

Oh, I'd say, "Just watch -- it should happen in a flash!" I think it would be a prosecutor's duty in cases like this. Anything less would be irresponsible, IMO.

Oh, the wonders of meth. Slow death or fast death -- this drug gives you a choice.It's slow-dripping horror. Grrrrrr. Unimaginable. SMH.

Recent cases have made me realize I must have just been lucky with the meth addicts I've known.

My favorite Aunt was a meth addict for years.
She still would have given you the shirt off her back and she adored my kids.

Her son (my favorite cousin) was always the same way.
He put others before himself and never would have dreamed of hurting a child.
In fact, he's in jail now because he beat the crap out of a friend (not meth addict) who abused a child (shaking.)

I literally would have trusted these people to babysit before I would have trusted my own mother.
(Not that I ever trusted ANYONE to babysit anyway!)
My mother was a pill addict and was very mean to just about everyone.
I guess my meth addict experience has just been very fortunate. :twocents:

bbm

And I, and the rest of us, I'm sure, am (are) very glad you're here with us!! Bless your heart! :blushing:

Hoping for max charges and max penalty here. Wtf did they think was gonna happen when they drugged (i.e. poisoned) a kid?! How would that ever, EVER, possibly end well!

They didn't care -- it was fun!

Grrrrr.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MADELINE123654