GUILTY IN - Owen Collins, 3, Bluffton, 17 Jan 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The difference between drugging and beating would show up on the autopsy. Drugging is systemic and partially burning a body won't hide it. Beating is easier to hide, but if bones were broken or broken and and re-healed, that will show up. If the child shows neither, it will be more difficult. Wishing the medical examiners wisdom as they go about their work.

I also believe they can analyze the hair follicle to determine if this was a one time thing or if they had done this to Owen and his brother many times before.

Thank you so much for those links twall. It is so moving to see how many came out to show their care for a child they never knew, but whose story touched their hearts as it does ours here.

There are some interesting comments on the Blufftucky FB page in the Posts to Page area.

People being snarky about their own town of Bluffton and being rude about Kentucky all at once. Someone's idea of humor to indicate that their town is as backwards as they apparently feel the state of Kentucky is. Considering the grammar and spelling issues of the posters there they probably should be more concerned about the impression they are giving than their negative opinion of the state of Kentucky. just sayin.

ETA the content is still there for me. I am signed into FB - are you? You must be logged in to see it I think.

It's a community. I see it. There's a post on the main thread (down a bit) and on Posts to Page.

Considering it's regarding censorship, I don't know how much longer it will be there, though.

Interesting reading re: collateral parties of current perps that we can't mention or sleuth ourselves. :silenced: and quietly :thinking:

:moo:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also believe they can analyze the hair follicle to determine if this was a one time thing or if they had done this to Owen and his brother many times before.
Yes, for some substances. Not sure which, but medical examiners would know. Owen has a brother who was probably treated the same way he was. Take a hair sample from the brother and analyze that... Not sure if there's enough of Owen's own hair left to check, considering the way they tried to burn the body, but if his big brother tests positive, they'll have them on child abuse charges regardless of what happened to Owen himself.

The trouble with drug testing unfortunately is that most drugs don't stay in the body very long, and the only drug that really does stay around for a long time is marijuana, which when compared to things like meth, has such low potential for toxicity and addiction that it's hardly even an issue. But ironically, it's the one drug you'd be able to detect weeks after ingestion even with a urine test. Stuff like meth metabolizes out of the body pretty quickly. (This is one of the reasons why I don't think drug testing is very useful, as companies tend to catch casual pot smokers and miss crackheads, all while believing they've caught everyone; but that's neither here nor there.)

So I checked up on hair testing for drugs a bit... interesting idea, there, by the way; I hope they think of it rather than just doing a urine test. Owen's brother would show results around now or a few days from now as his hair grows long enough for the exposed portion to exit the scalp. Methamphetamines can indeed be detected that way. And if Owen actually died of a drug overdose, then naturally his body wouldn't have had time to metabolize all of the poison.

I'm not sure what kind of a dose you'd have to ingest for it to show up in your hair, but it's safe to say that if hair testing is useful at all, it should be able to detect a dose high enough to kill a toddler. If Owen's brother got a similar dose, surely it'll show up on him too.

But then we don't actually know that the story about giving the kids drugs is even true. It's colorful and memorable, but for all we know this was just a "simple" case of neglect or abuse, or even a natural death followed by panicky meth-heads thinking they'd killed their kid... Well, okay, that last one is a bit farfetched, but it's theoretically possible.

The 16-year-old's name has been released but I'll keep it redacted here just in case since he hasn't officially been charged as an adult. That will be decided on February 6.

He was charged with:

-Neglect of a dependent resulting in death, a level 1 felony
-Two counts of neglect of a dependent, a level 5 felony
-Three level 6 felonies - abuse of a corpse, obstruction of justice and altering the scene of death.

In the two counts of neglect of a dependent the State alleged [redacted] to have let Collins be around meth and the chemicals used to manufacture the drug.

[redacted] attorney had tried to close the hearing because of [his] age but the judge, citing Indiana law, said because the charges were of felony level he did not have to make it a closed hearing.
A waiver has been filed to try [redacted] in adult court because of the felony charges that have been filed against him. There will an 8:30 hearing Feb. 6 to decide if they will wave him to adult court.

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20150126/NEWS/150129735

Also from the link I noticed this description of Owen: 3 feet, 1 inch tall, blond, with blue eyes and a 10-inch scar over his left eye.

ETA: I checked another news source and it stated Owen had a 1-inch scar over his left eye, not 10 inches. I think the above link just had a typo. Whew!

Owen is 3-foot-1 with blond hair, blue eyes and has a one-inch scar under his left eye. He was last seen wearing dark pants.

http://www.journalgazette.net/news/...ffton-police-search-for-missing-child-4553078

Seriously, what in the world is that?

I didn't have the heart to quote your post MsMarple, but I thank you for it. :heart:

How did a scar of that size and magnitude come about?

:scared: - terrified, in fact, for every bit of abuse Owen (and his brother) experienced before he took his final breath.

Whoever hurt him must be brought to justice! May every single person be cowering in fear at this very moment!

:eek:verreaction:

:tears:

:rose:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, not wishful thinking with how the felony murder statute reads. Still hoping...and waiting along with you!

Recent cases have made me realize I must have just been lucky with the meth addicts I've known.

My favorite Aunt was a meth addict for years.
She still would have given you the shirt off her back and she adored my kids.

Her son (my favorite cousin) was always the same way.
He put others before himself and never would have dreamed of hurting a child.
In fact, he's in jail now because he beat the crap out of a friend (not meth addict) who abused a child (shaking.)

I literally would have trusted these people to babysit before I would have trusted my own mother.
(Not that I ever trusted ANYONE to babysit anyway!)
My mother was a pill addict and was very mean to just about everyone.
I guess my meth addict experience has just been very fortunate. :twocents:

O/T I have a question. I have noticed in the Bluffton news that the some articles name the youth who has been charged. I am Canadian, here MSM are not allowed to name youth who are charged unless they have been charged as adults. Is it different in IN ?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CKS
Back