GUILTY IN - Ryan Martin, 29, murdered in suspect Talmadge Jasper's home, Lafayette, 23 May 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
https://www.jconline.com/story/news/crime/2019/05/30/affidavit-details-lafayette-mans-plans-kill- his-exs-boyfriend/1278757001/

Just thought I would post this again. Wish the probable cause affidavit was available.
I missed "multiple head wounds."

"An autopsy indicated that Martin's cause of death was blunt force trauma from multiple head wounds and ligature strangulation, according to the affidavit."
@Boxer @Boxer I missed that to. I pulled up the other ones and looks like jc online posted this in another. this one says manual strangulation. Sometimes I wonder if news or the paper know what is the truth. Moo
LAFAYETTE — Police suspect 19-year-old Talmadge Russell Jasper killed 29-year-old Ryan A. Martin of Lafayette, whom officers found inside Jasper's Pheasant Run apartment on Thursday.

Tippecanoe County Coroner Donna Avolt confirmed Martin as the victim Friday morning.

Skyler Renn reported at 8:05 a.m. Thursday that Jasper, her ex-boyfriend, was inside Martin's home at 10 Kenosha Court. Renn had a protective order that barred Jasper from contacting her, according to Lafayette police.

Jasper was not at the house when police arrived, according to police.

During that investigation, Renn told police she had not heard from Martin, her boyfriend, that day and had expected him home from work that morning. Her calls to Martin's phone were going to voicemail, according to a probable cause affidavit.

While police investigated a missing persons report on Martin, they learned that he had been seen in Jasper's apartment earlier that day, according to the affidavit.

ea32b4e8-4dc4-4ad8-9806-7550b41a7d3f-Jaspers_apartment_2.jpg

Lafayette police investigated the killing of 29-year-old Ryan Martin, who was found inside his suspected killer's apartment at Pheasant Run Apartments.
RON WILKINS/JOURNAL & COURIER
Jasper told police that Martin gave him a ride home from work Thursday morning and stopped in at his apartment, according to the affidavit. But Martin left after receiving a phone call or text, Jasper told police, according to the affidavit.

But Martin hadn't left.

Police got a search warrant for Jasper's apartment in the 3100 block of Eagles Way Drive in Pheasant Run Apartments at 8:30 p.m. Thursday.

1337b445-55a7-4c88-a58c-063d85a16616-Jaspers_apartment.jpg

The entrance to Talmadge Russell Jasper's apartment, where police Thursday night found Ryan Martin's body hidden in a closet. Jasper is jailed on preliminary charges of murder, residential entry and invasion of privacy.
They found Martin's body inside the bedroom closet at Jasper's apartment, and it appeared he'd been beaten, according to the probable cause affidavit.

Friday afternoon's autopsy indicated Martin died from
LAFAYETTE — Police suspect 19-year-old Talmadge Russell Jasper killed 29-year-old Ryan A. Martin of Lafayette, whom officers found inside Jasper's Pheasant Run apartment on Thursday.

Tippecanoe County Coroner Donna Avolt confirmed Martin as the victim Friday morning.

Skyler Renn reported at 8:05 a.m. Thursday that Jasper, her ex-boyfriend, was inside Martin's home at 10 Kenosha Court. Renn had a protective order that barred Jasper from contacting her, according to Lafayette police.

During that investigation, Renn told police she had not heard from Martin, her boyfriend, that day and had expected him home from work that morning. Her calls to Martin's phone were going to voicemail, according to a probable cause affidavit.

While police investigated a missing persons report on Martin, they learned that he had been seen in Jasper's apartment earlier that day, according to the affidavit.

Lafayette police investigated the killing of 29-year-old Ryan Martin, who was found inside his suspected killer's apartment at Pheasant Run Apartments.

Jasper told police that Martin gave him a ride home from work Thursday morning and stopped in at his apartment, according to the affidavit. But Martin left after receiving a phone call or text, Jasper told police, according to the affidavit.

But Martin hadn't left.

Police got a search warrant for Jasper's apartment in the 3100 block of Eagles Way Drive in Pheasant Run Apartments at 8:30 p.m. Thursday.

The entrance to Talmadge Russell Jasper's apartment, where police Thursday night found Ryan Martin's body hidden in a closet. Jasper is jailed on preliminary charges of murder, residential entry and invasion of privacy.

They found Martin's body inside the bedroom closet at Jasper's apartment, and it appeared he'd been beaten, according to the probable cause affidavit.

Friday afternoon's autopsy indicated Martin died from blunt force trauma to the head and manual strangulation, Avolt said.

Avolt said.

@Boxer this one says manual strangulation. Sometimes I wonder if news or the paper know what is the truth. Moo

What we don't know is if this going to TJ's apartment was a regular morning thing after coming off shift or a one-off. I think it probably was a regular occurence and SR only got worried when she saw TJ there and no RM, so called the police straightaway, because of the PO.
The other thing I wonder is indeed if SR knew something about TJ and had recently shared it with RM. TJ found out via RM and so killed him and was heading for SR to kill her too. This is the only motive I can see for this murder. TJ planned it from the night before when he told the girls to be gone by 7p.m. which must be just prior to when they return from that shift IMO. If it is not usual for RM to pop in to TJ's in the early morning, then I still believe that was the motive, to prevent them talking about something TJ has done. This is an additional reason for the rule 9 and the new PO for SR.
The motive for the murder is the important feature of the case, i think.
AJMO.

This fits in well with some of the thoughts I have. Jmo.

@Boxer @Boxer I missed that to. I pulled up the other ones and looks like jc online posted this in another. this one says manual strangulation. Sometimes I wonder if news or the paper know what is the truth. Moo

ea32b4e8-4dc4-4ad8-9806-7550b41a7d3f-Jaspers_apartment_2.jpg

But Martin hadn't left.

1337b445-55a7-4c88-a58c-063d85a16616-Jaspers_apartment.jpg

Friday afternoon's autopsy indicated Martin died from

But Martin hadn't left.

Friday afternoon's autopsy indicated Martin died from blunt force trauma to the head and manual strangulation, Avolt said.

Avolt said.

@Boxer this one says manual strangulation. Sometimes I wonder if news or the paper know what is the truth. Moo

The JCOnline article I cited was written 5/30/2019, the same day as TJ's arraignment hearing. MOO I believe the articles you have cited were written prior to the arrangement and the autopsy, so those articles state similar COD's pulled from the probable cause or police reports but not the autopsy report to the court.
"Multiple head wounds and ligature strangulation" from JCOnline from reporting on 5/30/19 is as official information as we will have until court records unsealed.
MOO TJ is being charged with "intentional murder," murder in the first degree with good reason.

https://www.jconline.com/story/news/crime/2019/05/30/affidavit-details-lafayette-mans-plans-kill- his-exs-boyfriend/1278757001/

Nothing new.
Little girl learns to live without her Dad.
Privileged recent HS grad gets 3 square meals and an institutional life for foreseeable future.
Too bad TJ didn't react pro-actively to his own bad behavior- I am sure he had warnings that he was capable of violence- by joining the army or air force and seeing the world instead of diminishing the world for others and himself.

6/7/19 motion for discovery by TJ lawyer
9/27/19 pretrial conference with Judge Steven P. Meyer
10/22/19 Trial date

Nothing new.
Privileged recent HS grad gets 3 square meals and an institutional life for foreseeable future.
Too bad TJ didn't react pro-actively to his own bad behavior- I am sure he had warnings that he was capable of violence- by joining the army or air force and seeing the world instead of diminishing the world for others and himself.

10/22/19 Trial date

06/07/2019
Motion Filed
Motion For Pre-Trial Discovery
Filed By:
Jasper, Talmadge Russell
File Stamp:
06/06/2019
06/07/2019
Motion Filed
Amended Motion For Pre-Trial Discovery
Filed By:
Jasper, Talmadge Russell
File Stamp:
06/07/2019
06/08/2019
Automated ENotice Issued to Parties
Motion Filed ---- 6/7/2019 : Patrick Franklin Manahan;Patrick K Harrington Motion Filed ---- 6/7/2019 : Patrick Franklin Manahan;Patrick K Harrington

09/27/2019
Pretrial Conference
Session:
09/27/2019 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Meyer, Steven P
10/22/2019
Jury Trial
Session:
10/22/2019 8:30 AM, Judicial Officer: Meyer, Steven P

From MyCase

What is a motion for discovery? What will they be looking for here?

06/07/2019
Motion Filed
Filed By:
Jasper, Talmadge Russell
File Stamp:
06/06/2019
06/07/2019
Motion Filed
Filed By:
Jasper, Talmadge Russell
File Stamp:
06/07/2019
06/08/2019
Motion Filed ---- 6/7/2019 : Patrick Franklin Manahan;Patrick K Harrington Motion Filed ---- 6/7/2019 : Patrick Franklin Manahan;Patrick K Harrington

09/27/2019
Pretrial Conference
Session:
10/22/2019
Jury Trial
Session:

From MyCase

MOO it is a standard request. The defense is allowed to see all the evidence the state has against the defendant.

06/07/2019
Motion Filed
Filed By:
Jasper, Talmadge Russell
File Stamp:
06/06/2019
06/07/2019
Motion Filed
Filed By:
Jasper, Talmadge Russell
File Stamp:
06/07/2019
06/08/2019

09/27/2019
Pretrial Conference
Session:
10/22/2019
Jury Trial
Session:

From MyCase

I am citing to the federal rule, but typically the state rules mimic it for the most part for rules of evidence. "Discovery" in general includes any discoverable evidence in a case (anything deemed relevant, that is not protected by privilege). Certain discovery evidence must be produced, and other discovery evidence only has to be produced upon request. I'm guessing this Motion for Pre-Trial Discovery relates to the Defense requesting pieces of evidence. It could be a lot of things, but the statute kind of defines the areas that must be requested.

Rule 16. Discovery and Inspection (again, this is the federal rule; in the actual case at hand Indiana state law will dictate)

Thank you! That just confirms to me that I do not care how good of a job he had, he very likely has family paying for it then or has some asset to tap which seems highly unlikely at his age. I have seen where those $$ run out fast, sometimes they start with a private attorney and end up with a public defender is that right, or is the private attorney required to stay on even if not being paid?

Thanks again, appreciate the knowledge.
There is some Judge discretion on this, especially as it gets closer to trial dates, but for the most part, a failure to pay would be a breach of contract and the attorney would be able to remove him or herself from the case. The Judge ultimately rules on the Motion to Withdraw as Counsel though, so it is the Judge's call.

There is some Judge discretion on this, especially as it gets closer to trial dates, but for the most part, a failure to pay would be a breach of contract and the attorney would be able to remove him or herself from the case. The Judge ultimately rules on the Motion to Withdraw as Counsel though, so it is the Judge's call.

Thank you so much for the response. I thought so but was unsure so in general, an attorney can ask to be removed in that case and it is likely it will be allowed, but there is a possibility the judge may deny that request? Do I have it about right?

MOO it is a standard request. The defense is allowed to see all the evidence the state has against the defendant.
I am citing to the federal rule, but typically the state rules mimic it for the most part for rules of evidence. "Discovery" in general includes any discoverable evidence in a case (anything deemed relevant, that is not protected by privilege). Certain discovery evidence must be produced, and other discovery evidence only has to be produced upon request. I'm guessing this Motion for Pre-Trial Discovery relates to the Defense requesting pieces of evidence. It could be a lot of things, but the statute kind of defines the areas that must be requested.

Rule 16. Discovery and Inspection (again, this is the federal rule; in the actual case at hand Indiana state law will dictate)

Thanks for the responses.

Nothing new.

10/22/19 Trial date
@Boxer what makes you say he is Privileged? It MOO that lots of your post seem like a personal attack on TJ? Did you know him? Or maybe you knew RM. It's very said that RM daughter has to grown up without her father. There will he a trial and all the facts will come out IMO it seems like there is so many twist and odd things in this case. Who really knows what happen. It will be interesting to see the facts.

@Boxer what makes you say he is Privileged? It MOO that lots of your post seem like a personal attack on TJ? Did you know him? Or maybe you knew RM. It's very said that RM daughter has to grown up without her father. There will he a trial and all the facts will come out IMO it seems like there is so many twist and odd things in this case. Who really knows what happen. It will be interesting to see the facts.

MOO my sympathy goes to the victim. TJ like everyone makes choices. TJ's choice to kill deprived a man of his life.
I doubt a trial, MOO it's more likely to be a plea bargain.

Last edited:
@ilovechili
I would think the lawyer would tell them from the start what the cost would be or ball park figure . I'm sure they would have had to lay down a large amount of money. That's just MOO.

This case has very limited if any of the evidence available.
A gag order is in place.
Facts we do know.
There is a deceased RM.
TJ was arrested.
It is connected to a Protective Order in place regarding a person know to both the victim found and TJ the accused.
Some statements made in MSM regarding time line.
Both RM and TJ were employed at the same company.
RM has a child now fatherless.
TJ with no children has caused a great deal of pain to his own immediate family.
Mental illness gives no pass to take another life.
MOO nobody is making judgment on what is unknown.
Rather on what we do know.
TJ is innocent until proven guilty.
RM has no voice.

This case has very limited if any of the evidence available.
A gag order is in place.
Facts we do know.
There is a deceased RM.
TJ was arrested.
It is connected to a Protective Order in place regarding a person know to both the victim found and TJ the accused.
Some statements made in MSM regarding time line.
Both RM and TJ were employed at the same company.
RM has a child now fatherless.
TJ with no children has caused a great deal of pain to his own immediate family.
Mental illness gives no pass to take another life.
MOO nobody is making judgment on what is unknown.
Rather on what we do know.
TJ is innocent until proven guilty.
RM has no voice.
@Steph8angels I would think TJ lawyer would be able to to get the evidence even if it is sealed. I'm not sure how that works I always thought state had to provide that. I could be wrong. I would have to disagree on people not judging on the unknown. It seems like everyone has him already found guilty already. We don't know all the facts like was there other people there? Was there a fight between them? Maybe some kind of deal gone bad. I dont follow or comment on to many things like this. It's hard to keep an open mind. Moo people and I'm not saying I haven't been guilty in the past to go by what we hear on the news. But I always try to remember that the news only wants to boost their ratings and try to make us believe what they want us to. No matter what it's sad for both families. My heart breaks for everyone involved.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishbl
Back