GUILTY IN - Skylea Carmack, 10, Gas City, Grant County, 31 Aug 2019 *stepmom arrested* *appeal filed 2022*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Was hoping that she was seen on someone's home security. :(

As far as the other siblings being taken by cps--- I'd like to think that there are no grandparents or aunts/uncles to watch them ; hence the need for cps's involvement.
Little AJ Freund Jr's sibling was removed from the family home while he was still 'missing'.

Since the above post states she'd run away before... how was it handled then ?
Was she disciplined ?
Or just hugged and admonished not to do that again as it's so dangerous ?

I'm assuming the family didn't call 911 when she ran away before--- because they found her in time ?

Speaking of the 911 call-- was there one this time ?

Was hoping that she was seen on someone's home security. :(

As far as the other siblings being taken by cps--- I'd like to think that there are no grandparents or aunts/uncles to watch them ; hence the need for cps's involvement.
Little AJ Freund Jr's sibling was removed from the family home while he was still 'missing'.

Since the above post states she'd run away before... how was it handled then ?
Was she disciplined ?
Or just hugged and admonished not to do that again as it's so dangerous ?

I'm assuming the family didn't call 911 when she ran away before--- because they found her in time ?

Speaking of the 911 call-- was there one this time ?
I read that she usually runs away to her paternal grandmother's house so there's at least one grandparent IMO.

Several things jump out at me from this article.
1. If her stepmother and 6 siblings saw her leave with a blanket, pillow and backpack why didn't they stop her or follow her or call someone to come stay with the young kids while they followed her.
2. If she had done this before and the police had checked the previous places, what kind of places were they? Was it a neighbors shed or did she go to a persons/friend/family members home. In other words did she run to a person or run to hide.
3. When she did this before what direction did she go, toward the park and the river or the opposite direction into more homes?
Things to ponder.

Oh, and one more thing, if she is hiding and afraid to come out as the father suggests where is she getting food and drink?

1. If her stepmother and 6 siblings saw her leave with a blanket, pillow and backpack why didn't they stop her or follow her or call someone to come stay with the young kids while they followed her.
2. If she had done this before and the police had checked the previous places, what kind of places were they? Was it a neighbors shed or did she go to a persons/friend/family members home. In other words did she run to a person or run to hide.
3. When she did this before what direction did she go, toward the park and the river or the opposite direction into more homes?
Things to ponder.

Oh, and one more thing, if she is hiding and afraid to come out as the father suggests where is she getting food and drink?
Father of missing 10-year-old from Gas City speaks out

"Her father said Skylea has a history of running away but usually she goes to his mom’s house."

Things to ponder.

I’m bothered by how specific the description is of what she was wearing, and what she had with her.

I remember one recent case where the things that were missing were oddly specific, even down to the number of juice boxes the kid brought with him.

In that one, we all knew he never left that house alive.

Not saying that happened here, but it’s unusual.

I want to know if she typically brought those items when she ran away.

The encouraging thing is that she has a pattern of this type of behavior (running away).

Without that, foul play would be even more likely.

The discouraging thing is obviously the fact that she hasn’t been found yet.
Yes, running away at only 10 years old when you need the security of your family and a normal 10 year old would be petrified to do this, tells me she has a pretty horrible home. Then to have to be home-schooled in this environment instead of being with your peers is equally depressing. CSP has to have some reason to take this situation in hand.

Things to ponder.

This is neglect.

Things to ponder.

I'm not sure if it's been said they saw her leaving with these things but maybe I missed it. I just assumed they noticed them missing after they realized she was gone.

10-Year-Old Indiana Girl Vanished 3 Days Ago; 'Optimistic' Police Seek Public's Help to Find Her

SFA:
Slocum says the girl, who is home schooled, didn’t have a cell phone and possibly left carrying a pink backpack, a purple autism awareness blanket and a pillow.

She has run away before, he says, but “we checked the locations she had gone to previously but so far we haven’t found her.”

“We are still remaining optimistic until something changes,” he says. “All the scenarios are on the table and we are remaining optimistic until we have evidence to believe otherwise.”

Police have reviewed some video footage from area homes and so far she hasn’t been captured on any of the surveillance tapes.

BBM:

There's a whole lot of prevarication in the language LE is using right now.
They're qualifying and hedging on a lot of their comments.
"Possibly, but, but, until, until..."
Which makes sense, given they're still not certain what scenario they're looking at here.
Clearly, they haven't definitively established that she did in fact run away from home.
I did note that LE stated they would remain hopeful "until," not unless, something changes and "until," not unless, they have evidence otherwise.

The fact that SC has purportedly run away before leaves that very much of a possibility here.
We all know that the best predictor of behavior is past behavior.
I do wonder if she's ever run away overnight before, though.
This is hugely, hugely unusual behavior for a 10-year-old.

I'm concerned reading the description that she "possibly" left with a pink backpack, purple autism awareness blanket and pillow.
I'm surprised we weren't told what thread count the pillow had, what with that level of detail.
To me, that reads like someone provided a highly specific description and LE are the ones characterizing it as "possible" that she had those when she left the house, i.e., they're not necessarily convinced they're being given the facts.

I've seen here that her mom states she's not autistic.
What's up with the blanket, then?
Is she or is she not autistic?
If she is, that's important information.
If she's not, why is it being emphasized that she was carrying an "autism awareness" blanket?
Flag.

Also of concern is the lack of physical sightings and/or video footage of her from surrounding homes. Depending on how close to her home those cameras are that LE mentioned, the fact that she wasn't captured by any of them is very foreboding news.

I am certain that LE has been working to determine when and where the last independent sighting of SC was.

Because SC appears to have a history of running away, I'm more hopeful than I usually am in these cases that we may not be looking at a case of foul play.

But if she hasn't ever run away overnight before, and cameras in the area didn't capture her, and there have been no confirmed sightings of her since she was reported missing, then it's really not likely that this is a voluntary runaway scenario, or at least it's highly unlikely that she's remaining voluntarily missing.

I wonder if any polygraphs have been administered to any of the adults in SC's life.

JMO.

Last edited:
To me its weird they cannot find her on any security footage. If she ran away, someone must have seen her.

Also what i find unclear is if someone saw her leave or that they found out she wasnt there anymore.

If someone saw her leave, in what state was she in?

I dont like this one bit. Gonna sit on my hands for now.

WHERE is her MOTHER?
Looking for her daughter. Asking for people to be aware. Answering questions about her daughter. Not being detained by the police unlike other people in the family that had Skylea on their care when she went missing. Her mother doesn't have custody of her, the father didn't even bother to let her know that her daughter was missing. So, her mother seems to be doing as much as she can in this messed up situation.

Google Maps
This is a Google street view of her last known position. I don't know if it is her home or not. What I do see are smaller homes that are unlikely to have any security cameras. If she headed toward the park and the river then there might be cameras on the businesses that direction, but any other direction is just more residential.

No sign of missing Gas City 10-year-old after 3rd day of searching
Skylea’s father, Kevin Carmack told us he thinks Skylea ran away ‪Saturday around 4 in the afternoon. He was at work and Skylea was at home with her stepmom and six other children in the house. But Kevin said Skylea’s stepmom waited until that night to report her missing. He said – because of that delay – the Department of Child Services took the other six children from the home to investigate.

We asked DCS about that investigation but a representative said DCS cannot legally comment.

“She’s just so little and so innocent, it’s not fair. Why would you let her leave? That’s what doesn’t make sense to me,” said Brandenburg.

Brenda Helmuth is Kevin’s mother and Skylea’s grandma. She said Skylea’s stepmom texted her about ‪9:30 p.m. Saturday to ask if she had seen Skylea.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back