GUILTY IN - Skylea Carmack, 10, Gas City, Grant County, 31 Aug 2019 *stepmom arrested* *appeal filed 2022*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Could be money? I just posted upthread you get about 850.00 per semester, per kid, for school supplies.
Indiana schools right ? I’ve checked a couple sources and it appears that there isn’t a reimbursement program for home schooling but they are allowed to attend gym and music at the school - just checked one district so far JMO

I am beyond words I am so sick of this but it does not matter how I feel it only matters how out of control some parents (I use that word loosely) have become. What is happening in our world that allows this to happen?

After reading the convo's between the ex wives (4 or 5 of them) I need to wash out my eyes with disinfectant soap.

It's too bad that LE didn't insist on searching the house and property sooner.
Even though they were lied to and told that Skylea had run away, they should've cleared the house first.
Imo.
Made sure she wasn't hiding in the basement or a cupboard.
Yeah, I'm a little surprised too that LE didn't start the search with the house and any out buildings. I know when little ones (like 2 or 3 year olds) go missing it's the first place LE looks. It wouldn't have been too far out to imagine a 10 year old hiding out nearby in order to upset the parents.

OTOH, even if LE had entered the shed right away would they have checked beyond obvious hiding places? I'm pretty sure most of us would have looked in containers but we've seen cases play out like that so any LE not experienced with child homicides might not have even thought about it. I dunno.

The stories of Skylea running away before probably didn't help either. I wonder how early LE suspected foul play.

After reading the convo's between the ex wives (4 or 5 of them) I need to wash out my eyes with disinfectant soap.

It's too bad that LE didn't insist on searching the house and property sooner.
Even though they were lied to and told that Skylea had run away, they should've cleared the house first.
Imo.
Made sure she wasn't hiding in the basement or a cupboard.
I just rewatched the press conference and realized they said A.C. reported her missing IN PERSON at the police station. She went there because she didn't want them at the house.

Words appropriate for WS are hard to find. I'm heartsick, profoundly sad and so very angry all at the same time. Nalani and now Skylea...and all those before them. What is happening in our country that this has become the suspected/expected outcome when a child is missing? The life of a precious child should be protected at all costs by those who are supposed to love them. Yet cases like these become more and more frequent. Even if I try to extend the benefit of doubt and consider that a person can "snap" and kill a child without premeditation, I cannot get my head around hiding them or throwing them away like trash. I just don't understand how someone can do this...

Precious Skylea....rest easy in the arms of loving angels.

So why didn't she send them to school? She's barely able to control herself over spilled noodles but she wants them with her every second of every day?

IMO she wanted to hide her from mandatory reporters. The only teaching going on was teaching Skylea a lesson. Also, a lot of these types can't be bothered to get up and get their kids off to school. In their mind it's easier to let the kids run wild all day. And I just bet that Skylea spilled noodles because she was the cook, housekeeper, and whatever else was thrown her way.

Amanda Carmack: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Spet 4, 2019

"Amanda Carmack, the stepmother of once missing Indiana girl Skylea Carmack, is now accused in the girl’s murder. Skylea, 10, disappeared on Saturday, August 31, 2019. On Facebook, Carmack, who had six other children in the home, posted about depression and complained about parenting issues....

Here’s what you need to know:..."

Amanda Carmack: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Attachments

• Pose.JPG
    Pose.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 95
I don’t know if Skylea had official diagnosis of disability (there are some indicators she might have). If so, her fate was even more predestined, as multiple studies have shown more frequent abuse of disabled children and adults.

Maltreatment of Children with Disabilities - Fact Sheet

To add to it, the stepmom, in her writings (quite literate, she knows when one should use “continually”, and when “continuously”) seems to demonstrate symptoms of a mental illness. And she knows it. Into this mix, you throw in drugs that she likely consumes (self-acknowledged marijuana in high amounts, at least, but I doubt that was all), and it makes the situation volatile and potentially critical.

I have questions about the father, too. Hadn’t he guessed that things were not OK? What about his sense of smell? The corpse lying in the shed for several hot days, and none the wiser? What about flies? Is the father so overworked, trying to feed this huge family, that he delegates all decisions about the household to his wife, and merely checks out? Or is his wife so volatile that he is afraid of her and sides against own kid? Very likely.

One wonders how they all managed, financially, probably, extremely poorly, and how did end up with so many children in the house when they obviously can’t take care of themselves. Homeschool? Give me a break.

And I bet I shall soon read about the CPS failing the family. CPS is underfunded, and they see so many similar families, and their hands are tied, because there are not enough reliable foster parents around.

Last edited:

Some things that stand out to me:

She chose the worst of the two group shots as her cover page. Not the one in which Skylea fake smiles for the camera and both dogs are present. She chooses the one in which Skylea morosely stares at the camera.

I see that one child is blocked in the fake smiles photo but there was no way she could try for another? Most of those kids were old enough to pose for a few seconds for a camera.

And the youngest? He looks pretty big to be wearing nothing but a diaper. Maybe he's tall...

The whole thing reeks of dysfunction. Maybe that's only hindsight. I don't know.

Some concerning word choices there..."Alpha", "control"..."I can be scary"...MOO

She seems to have been even more transparent in her instability in her FB blog at first glance.

Excellent first post, @Shiba !
And welcome to Websleuths :)

What also struck me in one of the FB photos was the children watching a christmas movie . The floor looks filthy, with what appears to be shredded toilet paper scattered about and ground into the carpet.
You can be poor -- and still be clean and respectable.

One of the first FB videos which has since been deleted was about the CBD oil --- and probably other posts will be removed .

You can be poor -- and still be clean and respectable.

This is absolutely spot on
In my career, the number of houses that I searched under police search legislation made me realise this in the very early days of my police career.
There were homes that I went into where you had to wipe your feet on the way out , upon leaving, they were that filthy and disgusting with animal faeces and urine littering the floor alongside mouldy food and discarded used nappies ( diapers), cigarette butts and used needles... the list goes on! And I used to say then that soap and water costs very little in our westernised world . There were homes that I went into ( not necessarily for search purposes) where it was clear that the household was poor but they had pride and what they did have was clean and smelled good including themselves. No excuse whatsoever in this day and age .

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back