Is one of the reasons Casey is "unpopular" (per Baez) because she is pretty?will re o

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It took a moment to read all the posts before weighing in. The entire supposition is a joke, were it not said in such seriousness. Her alleged attractiveness is both relative and transitory. If she were walking the University of Pittsburgh's campus, her only second looks and/or catcalls would be from 30something city workers hanging out solely to bird dog the ladies. If she were in some sort of pageant, she would place in the bottom third. If she were in the Army, she would be a 10 ((c(2a) c=civilian, 2a = 18 year old average male). It is usually a self-declaration of perceived attractiveness that invites the scorn in the 1st place. eg. "Don't hate me because I am beautiful, hate me because I have the chutzpah to stand here and say I am." It is very much like trying to give yourself a nickname (Juanny C.), it ain't gonna stick. This is not a hater rant, I hope it does not come off as one. My friend thinks ballerinas are sexy, I can't get excited about who I perceive to be as way too skinny. My point is that his very supposition adds to her unpopularity. Beauty is indeed firmly in the eye of the beholder.

Baez stated at least twice in open court yesterday that KC is "unpopular". He stated this when he argued that a 600+ dollar forgery/fraud charge would be treated differently... were it someone else's crime --instead of unpopular Casey Anthony's.

Here is something that I hope deserves it's own thread...KC definitely is a sensation. If you can imagine her much older and perhaps homely..do you think that she would be treated differently? Do you think one of the reasons for her unpopularity (aside from the demise of her beautiful daughter) also has to do with KC's attractiveness? It is a valid question.

I don't think that she is unattractive but I think she falls short of any special treatment because of her appearance. She isn't ugly but she certainly isn't a what I would call beautiful so I honestly don't feel that it has anything to do with her being popular or unpopular. With her hair as long as it is now, I actually think she is a far cry from even pretty in the court room but that's just my opinion. There are many women out there that I would call beautiful, but KC certainly isn't one of them.

Actually .... I do think that KC is pretty ..... pretty much history! It is in KC's destiny. :behindbar

JB: KC, my density has brought me to you. :nluv:

KC: :waitasec: What? :slap:

JB: Oh, what I meant to say was...

KC: Wait a minute, don't I know you from somewhere?

JB: Yes! Yes! I'm Jose, :talker: JB :talker: from the Geraldo Show! I'm your density. I mean... your destiny. :behindbar

Justice for Caylee.

Hi affinity, thanks for a thought-provoking question. I tried a thought experiment based on your question. Please remember that what follows is purely hypothetical and that even my hypothesizing below is impacted by my own actual perceptions of this case... BUT. Hypothetically,

IF I were a juror who really had not been exposed in depth to this case--and I think such folks do exist--and I had made it through what is going to be a rigorous jury selection process... I would likely come in to the first day of trial nervous, aware that this is a case involving a child's murder, and wanting to do my best to remain unbiased & consider the facts at hand before coming to any conclusions.

Casey enters the courtroom. Whether I am male or female, I will likely at first glance perceive that this is a young woman who is attractive by contemporary standards. Petite and slender, nice figure, big eyes, "put-together." This may initially predispose me to be sympathetic to her. It may make me feel jealous of or even intimidated by her. It may make me think "Wow I wish I were first seeing her in a bar instead of across a courtroom"... Even if she smiles at or interacts with her legal team in ways that could be deemed 'familiar' I may be inclined to write it off to nervousness--this is a delicate young woman who doesn't seem the type to have had experience with the big bad justice system, right?

And then come the witnesses, and the evidence. I watch Casey react. Assuming that her reactions will not be wildly different from what they have been thus far, my thought-experiment-juror-self sees the eye-poking and finger-checking, sees the dry Kleenexes, sees the Ice Face, sees the Angry Face, sees the Wrist-Grabbing, sees the pictures of vibrant, innocent Caylee. I watch the solicitous defense team and notice who knows what else. I listen to evidence about 31 days of "ugly coping" and I hear the tapes of her taking LE all the way to Universal before her story collapses in the face of the evidence. Et cetera. And then they wrap up argument.

If I was initially jealous, I can now use the evidence presented to support a finding against her. If I was sympathetic or physically attracted at first, I have a lot of evidence to consider that might make me reconsider what "beauty" means.

But when I finally go to that jury room to begin deliberations, I suspect the LAST thing on my mind is going to be how attractive Casey is. If it does enter my mind, it may simply make me think how she spent those factual 31 days out partying, flaunting her looks--which would make me tend to judge her more harshly, perhaps. But a juror is not judging a defendant's morals; they are evaluating the facts presented by each side of the case. I want to believe that my hypothetical juror would be able to set aside Casey's physical appearance, however they reacted to it initially, and make a decision based on the evidence presented.

MOO, my friends. Thanks all for putting up with a long entry with no clear conclusions, and for your input on an interesting question!

Actually .... I do think that KC is pretty ..... pretty much history! It is in KC's destiny. :behindbar

JB: KC, my density has brought me to you. :nluv:

KC: :waitasec: What? :slap:

JB: Oh, what I meant to say was...

KC: Wait a minute, don't I know you from somewhere?

JB: Yes! Yes! I'm Jose, :talker: JB :talker: from the Geraldo Show! I'm your density. I mean... your destiny. :behindbar

Justice for Caylee.

oh gosh that was beautiful, that was. :biglaugh:

also thank you (whoever it was :blushing:) that linked manywhitehorses. I do know the case and I do know that lots of people dont. the missing white female effect has been long known - this is why I love WS so much, with lil adji's face and story all over the place. they all deserve equal thought from us.

The reason Casey is unpopular is because she didnt report her daughter missing and then sashayed in with that smirk.

She's unpopular because it's pretty darn apparent she murdered her precious little girl.

I don't think she's pretty--but if others do, I'd have to argue that that'll buy sympathy, rather than handicap her. There have been many well-documented studies showing that preferential treatment is given to people who are physically attractive.

It won't work against her. Baez is grasping at straws.

in response to the thread question, I assumed by "unpopular" he was referring to the extremely negative image of her that's been constantly broadcast in the media over the past year and a half, the intense negative coverage portraying her as guilty, etc.

Not only is KC unpopular...but everyone on Team Anthony have also become unpopular as a result. I can't think of one sympathetic character in the whole bunch that could help this case. RIP Caylee...

in response to the thread question, I assumed by "unpopular" he was referring to the extremely negative image of her that's been constantly broadcast in the media over the past year and a half, the intense negative coverage portraying her as guilty, etc.

The media would not be broadcasting if the A's were a little less forthcoming with material such as stating every other person in Orlando is the Nanny and hanging on to assumptions of guilt when there is 0 evidence to prove anyone other than their princess killed her child.

Also - Gag Order = JB says "No thanks" = Media free for all

Maybe if KC would have known she would be this "unpopular" for killing her child she would not have gone through with it. Let's hope in the future someone like KC has second thoughts about doing something to their child because of this very fact. JMO

Personally, I don't really think KC's looks are what made this case what it was today. Andrea Yates and Susan Smith's cases drew HUGE attention (in fact, believe it or not I'm sure more people know about SS than KC), and they were not attractive at all. However, unlike AY and SS, KC never once fessed up to what she did. Instead, she went out partying while her daughter was dead and then continued to stick to her lame story even when most of it was proven to be lies and human decomp was found in her car. I think the fact that she is so bizarre/sociopathic (mixed with the fact that her daughter stole America's hearts) is what makes this case huge. Also the fact that her family and defense team won't shut up and try to make their way onto every news station and program.

No I don't believe that KC is unpopular because she is pretty. I've never thought she was pretty, but that may be because by the time we saw her, we already knew that her daughter had been missing for 31 days..she had a ridiculous story to tell, followed shortly by pictures of her partying her @ss off with not a worry in the world. :furious: That tends to color ones perception of pretty, imo. She's not ugly I don't guess, but if I were to have passed her on the street before all this happened, I wouldn't have thought..."that's a pretty girl"

KC has no one to blame but herself for the negative attention she has received, as well as the amount of it..Cindy and George have certainly helped perpetuate it by their own ugly, selfish actions and half-truths, so keep patting yourself on the back Cindy..:sick:..Their entitlement issues certainly gave us insight as to why KC IS the way she is....apple/tree theory :crazy:

But, the bottom line imo is she brought this negative attention on herself, for better or for worse. She is a GROWN woman, she's not a kid and no matter what one believes..her daughter was murdered while in her care, at the very least. What I believe is that Caylee was murdered by her mother's own hand...All JMHO and all that...

I think KC is an average looking person that committed a horrific crime, so if anything.. looking average and not like the monster I believe her to be would benefit her. She may have a juror look at her and say.."that young lady couldn't commit such a crime" then the same juror will hear opening arguments and change her mind, lol!...

BTW, mikeysmommy..I totally agree with your earlier assessment..and like you, I mean absolutely no disrespect to horses...THAT was funny..imo..

Personally, I don't really think KC's looks are what made this case what it was today. Andrea Yates and Susan Smith's cases drew HUGE attention (in fact, believe it or not I'm sure more people know about SS than KC), and they were not attractive at all. However, unlike AY and SS, KC never once fessed up to what she did. Instead, she went out partying while her daughter was dead and then continued to stick to her lame story even when most of it was proven to be lies and human decomp was found in her car. I think the fact that she is so bizarre/sociopathic (mixed with the fact that her daughter stole America's hearts) is what makes this case huge. Also the fact that her family and defense team won't shut up and try to make their way onto every news station and program.

I remember the Susan Smith case well. It was shocking at the time. One commentator stated her hinky meter went up when Susan showed up at a press conference all made up with a pretty (90's) bow in her hair. Prior to that it was a horrible carjacking crime...but this commentator said after she saw Susan's appearance she knew right then and there she was lying and had killed her own kids. This was before anyone suspected her. Based on this little bit of intuition...KC has raised more hinky meters than we can count!

Casey is unpopular (and that's putting it mildly) because of her actions. Her parents have contributed to the media interest and the public's disgust. I can't remember a case, ever, where a defendant and her family have insulted the memory of a two year old child like these people have. The truth, from any of them, would have helped LE in getting justice for Caylee. They are not interested in getting justice for Caylee's death, they chose the murderer a long time ago.

There are MANY forums on WS; not just the Caylee Anthony case. I believe MANY other cases are covered like the CA case. JonBenet, Haliegh, Adji, etc. (...)

Respectfully snipped for focus.

BonKai, you're right, there are so many forums on WS. Many of these cases are picked up by the national media. But the national media does not/cannot pursue every case. Also while folks in some areas may feel that a case local to them is getting national attention, that may not be so. Cases in point:

- Haleigh Cummings (FL): CA media has not covered this story; viewers out here who do not watch Nancy Grace on the reg would not know a thing about this case
- Caylee Anthony (FL): CA media has not covered this story for months; when Casey was arrested there were "blurps" but if you don't watch NG you wouldn't know it existed
- Abraham Shakespeare (FL i think): Made the SF Chron briefly today when remains were found but has quickly been supplanted by stories about state budget and medical pot
- Hasanni Campbell (CA): Huge local story out here a few months ago, made barely a ripple in media past Denver. If they can prove his death and link it to the parents, I think this case has the potential to be a big national-news case (MOO)
- Laci Peterson (CA): Made major national media eventually, but at first was a local missing person case. Became national due to SP's behavior, and, perhaps, the fact that both parties were fairly photogenic.

IMO, a lot of people come to WS because they are poking around looking for more information about a local case that has grabbed their attention. They don't immediately understand how significant the site is, in so many ways. After experiencing the site for a while, they begin in their own time to understand these things. But in the beginning, many people here are just following up on a case that has been compelling to them, for whatever reason.

To illustrate: I lurked on WS for months following a case that is happening in the state I was born in. During that lurking time, and in large part because Caylee is prominently featured on the home page here at WS, I became interested in the Anthony case in Florida--far from both my home state and my current home, and a case that I honestly had seen no media about, at that time. I don't know much about FL law but gosh I've learned a lot, and I still ask stupid beginner questions. And I post more about this case than about cases in my own state, because I feel comfortable here. After many months here, I have begun to venture into threads about cases that don't have some personal connection for me. In those threads I still lurk a lot because I don't feel informed enough to have a say...

To sum up: I think that we are each drawn here for our own individual reasons. And the "national" media is not as "national" as we might think it is. And I wish we lived in a world where a site like this was not necessary. Ideally, WS would be gathering cobwebs because there wouldn't be so many cases for us to talk about. (/ENDidealisticfantasy) I honestly appreciate the people I have met at WS, and I know I have learned so much here, from my first post on one thread onward.

And by now I am not even sure if this post is remotely on topic anymore.

Group hug, anyone? :grouphug:

This my reason for being so interested in this case. It has nothing to do with what any of the players look like. I find Casey to be completely average looking. Caylee was a completely average looking kid.
What drew me here was hearing Cindy on Greta. She was so cold, and strange acting that I googled this case. WS was one of the top hits, and I've been here ever since.
When I heard that first police interview with Casey, I was shocked. I had to keep picking my jaw off the floor. Her carefree, bold lying to those seasoned detectives was just off the charts.
The bad behavior from the perp, her family, the lawyers, etc. still intrigues me.
Regardless, I'm here to the end. I want to make sure this sociopath is punished and never takes another breath as a free woman.

Respectfully snipped for focus.

BonKai, you're right, there are so many forums on WS. Many of these cases are picked up by the national media. But the national media does not/cannot pursue every case. Also while folks in some areas may feel that a case local to them is getting national attention, that may not be so. Cases in point:

- Haleigh Cummings (FL): CA media has not covered this story; viewers out here who do not watch Nancy Grace on the reg would not know a thing about this case
- Caylee Anthony (FL): CA media has not covered this story for months; when Casey was arrested there were "blurps" but if you don't watch NG you wouldn't know it existed
- Abraham Shakespeare (FL i think): Made the SF Chron briefly today when remains were found but has quickly been supplanted by stories about state budget and medical pot
- Hasanni Campbell (CA): Huge local story out here a few months ago, made barely a ripple in media past Denver. If they can prove his death and link it to the parents, I think this case has the potential to be a big national-news case (MOO)
- Laci Peterson (CA): Made major national media eventually, but at first was a local missing person case. Became national due to SP's behavior, and, perhaps, the fact that both parties were fairly photogenic.

IMO, a lot of people come to WS because they are poking around looking for more information about a local case that has grabbed their attention. They don't immediately understand how significant the site is, in so many ways. After experiencing the site for a while, they begin in their own time to understand these things. But in the beginning, many people here are just following up on a case that has been compelling to them, for whatever reason.

To illustrate: I lurked on WS for months following a case that is happening in the state I was born in. During that lurking time, and in large part because Caylee is prominently featured on the home page here at WS, I became interested in the Anthony case in Florida--far from both my home state and my current home, and a case that I honestly had seen no media about, at that time. I don't know much about FL law but gosh I've learned a lot, and I still ask stupid beginner questions. And I post more about this case than about cases in my own state, because I feel comfortable here. After many months here, I have begun to venture into threads about cases that don't have some personal connection for me. In those threads I still lurk a lot because I don't feel informed enough to have a say...

To sum up: I think that we are each drawn here for our own individual reasons. And the "national" media is not as "national" as we might think it is. And I wish we lived in a world where a site like this was not necessary. Ideally, WS would be gathering cobwebs because there wouldn't be so many cases for us to talk about. (/ENDidealisticfantasy) I honestly appreciate the people I have met at WS, and I know I have learned so much here, from my first post on one thread onward.

And by now I am not even sure if this post is remotely on topic anymore.

Group hug, anyone? :grouphug:

Thank you for what I think is an outstanding and thoughtful post. Almost identical reasons for me lurking, reading and finally joining. Where I live in the NorthWest coast - there is no press at all on CA unless it was caught on CNN . Casey's coldness, her behaviours, the many unbelievable twists and turns of this case make it very very interesting to read about and follow.

And like you, I never knew how much I didn't know until I started reading the experts in this case on WS.

This my reason for being so interested in this case. It has nothing to do with what any of the players look like. I find Casey to be completely average looking. Caylee was a completely average looking kid.
What drew me here was hearing Cindy on Greta. She was so cold, and strange acting that I googled this case. WS was one of the top hits, and I've been here ever since.
When I heard that first police interview with Casey, I was shocked. I had to keep picking my jaw off the floor. Her carefree, bold lying to those seasoned detectives was just off the charts.
The bad behavior from the perp, her family, the lawyers, etc. still intrigues me.

Regardless, I'm here to the end. I want to make sure this sociopath is punished and never takes another breath as a free woman.

I agree! What did it for me was hearing KC's first phone call home where she asks for TL's number. I was so taken aback at how someone who's daughter had been supposedly kidnapped seemed pizzed that her friends and family were worried about her!

Yes, remember recently after Casey was incarcerated that young mother said she had been attacked outside her car, and she passed out and woke up a few miles away and her baby about a year or 18months old was missing? The baby was found dead and tossed on the side of the freeway not that far from the scene of the crime? She was also a very good looking girl - I think more attractive than Casey, and her baby was gorgeous. I think the difference was she confessed fairly quickly. She tried a fairly elaborate tale, got caught out and instead of deny deny deny including her family denying on her behalf, she folded. I guess another difference was the child's body was found fairly quickly. But we heard almost nothing about it after the initial news reports.
I think Casey may have been treated differently because of her and the family's antics. I mean - who sells pictures of the child they murdered to fund their own defense? Who else starts a charity on behalf of their missing grandchild and lives off the proceeds? We could go on and on - as "they" say - you couldn't write this - no one would believe it even for fiction.

This case is of Stacy Barker and her daughter Emma from CA. This case still has little press. There is a lot of similarities between these cases. Young single mother with a young daughter. I think Stacey and Casey even look a little like each other. I agree and think the reason this case did not get the press immediately, is because of the Anthony's and their antics.

I remember the Susan Smith case well. It was shocking at the time. One commentator stated her hinky meter went up when Susan showed up at a press conference all made up with a pretty (90's) bow in her hair. Prior to that it was a horrible carjacking crime...but this commentator said after she saw Susan's appearance she knew right then and there she was lying and had killed her own kids. This was before anyone suspected her. Based on this little bit of intuition...KC has raised more hinky meters than we can count!
I agree. I watched her press conference with my husband where she pleaded with the "black man" who had kidnapped her children. I immediately told my husband her tears were phony!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV