Israel - Palestinian militants launch massive attack, 7 Oct 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly don’t want to see children from ANY side suffer.
They have nothing to do with choices and decisions made by adults.

However, I think it’s important to face the truth, and the truth is that Hamas was VOTED in by the adult population in Gaza.

They seem to enthusiastically embrace Hamas to lead them and govern over them.
Therefore, IMO, it’s difficult to say they are not part of Hamas. Maybe officially they are or they aren’t, but clearly they have endorsed them.
<Snipped for focus>
Hamas was elected to lead Gaza in 2006 by receiving ~45% of the popular vote. After assuming control, they violently eliminated all political opposition. There has not been an election since 2006

It would have been nice if Hamas would have prepared all of the Gaza citizens before it's terrorist attacks on Israel citizens, knowing that Israel must respond to protect it's citizens.

Furthermore, it would be nice if Hamas would not hide behind Gaza citizens instead of facing Israel's military.

It seems apparent to me who bears the greatest guilt of all citizens' threat to life.

Just my thoughts.

Otis
Palestinians would have tried to exit Gaza in mass therefore alerting outsiders that an attack was about to be waged.
Hamas wanted a surprise. IMO.

This is very good news for the family- and it might be good news for the Israeli military as well.

Note that the hostages were released by the Al-Qassam Brigades- not by "Hamas". This implies that the Al- Qassam brigades are either an autonomous part of Hamas, or an entirely separate group.

Regardless, the hostage release could indicate that Hamas is not unified and that some factions are thinking about getting out. A fracturing Hamas would be good news for the IDF.
Al Qassam Brigades are part of Hamas' military arm.

I certainly don’t want to see children from ANY side suffer.
They have nothing to do with choices and decisions made by adults.
Very true. Adults, making adult decision, however, works for both sides.

Hamas clearly started the current war- and war criminals must be punished

Adults in Israel voting for politicians must surely know that corralling people into smaller and smaller areas via "settlement" construction is just not a good idea in the long run.

The pace of corralling has evidently picked up with the current Israeli government. How many adult Israeli's voted for them? Were there any warning signs that corralling was not being taken well by those being corralled?

Last edited:
Palestinians would have tried to exit Gaza in mass therefore alerting outsiders that an attack was about to be waged.
Hamas wanted a surprise. IMO.
So, Hamas put it's success of killing Israel citizens before the welfare of it's own citizens.

To me, that is a clear indication of who bears the most guilt of the harm and death of Palestine and Israel citizens.

Just my thoughts.

Otis

I feel so cynical but honestly when is aid sent to these countries ever used for the intended purposes?

MOO, but similar to giving cash to a questionable bum on the street. Sigh.

~

I have mostly been reading and reacting, in a state of shock and awe. Horrified. Praying for Israel and any innocents that are in Gaza.

My husband was deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan years ago. He observed the Arab civilians there have little hope, limited potential/growth for their future, and a bred hatred/jealousy of the Western world and especially Jewish people. I have seen numerous videos on social media of Palestinian children (encouraged by filming adults) joining in the attacks, especially on Jewish children.

We also were (safely, in the US) celebrating the conclusion of Sukkot. The final day is/was a rest and reflection Sabbath following a week of Tabernacle. Hamas took advantage of this Holy day. It is heartbreaking.

Do not be fooled by Hamas claiming to have released hostages.
This is a lie. In reality, the Israelis that they and their mouthpieces at Al-Jazeera are claiming to be“released hostages” are Israelis who were temporarily captured on Saturday but never taken to the Gaza Strip.

3m ago

Biden warns Iran to 'be careful'​

During his speech to a group of Jewish community leaders in Washington, Joe Biden warned Iran to “be careful”, adding that the US is sending more military assistance to help Israel fight Hamas militants.

Biden’s remarks marked the first time he connected the US deployment of a carrier fleet near to Israel to concerns Iran might seek to become involved, Reuters reported. The US president said:

We moved the US carrier fleet to the eastern Mediterranean and we are sending more fighter jets to that region, and made it clear to the Iranians: Be careful.
US officials have said they have not been able to establish a direct link between the Hamas attack but are searching to see if they can find one.

8m ago

Biden: Hamas attack on Israel 'deadliest day for Jews since the Holocaust'​

Joe Biden addressed a round table of Jewish leaders in Washington on Wednesday, where he described the bloody assault on Israel by Hamas as "the deadliest day for Jews since the Holocaust”.

The US president said Saturday’s attack was “sheer evil” and a “campaign of pure cruelty against the Jewish people”.

“Silence is complicity,” Biden said. “I refuse to be silent”. He said he had spoken again today with Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, and that the US is “surging” additional military assistance to the Israel Defense Forces.

He said the US was “working on every aspect” of the hostage crisis in Israel, but that “the idea that I’m going to stand here before you and tell you what I’m doing is bizarre”.

So, Hamas put it's success of killing Israel citizens before the welfare of it's own citizens.
I think this is a very valid observation.

It maybe occurring on both sides as leaders benefit- or even stay employed by a perpetual conflict. For example, the Israeli leader was apparently warned that Hamas was planning something "big"- but ignored it.

Though I doubt the Netanyahu would deliberately endanger thousands of Israelis- his party and government clearly has a vested in interest in a continuing conflict.

So, I could see a "They do "X"- then that gives us an reason to do "Z"- ooops we really miscalculated how horrific "big" was.... .

Last edited:

Israel ground attack in Gaza a ‘challenge’ – risk analyst​

As we have been reporting, the Israeli military says it has thousands of troops ready near the border of Gaza for a potential ground invasion.

Noam Ostfeld is a former member of the Israeli Defence Force’s intelligence wing and currently works for the risk assessment company Sibylline as a Middle East analyst.

He told the BBC it appears Israel intends to target the underground tunnels that Hamas uses, which he describes as a “challenge”.

“They are very fortified, they are very narrow, often poorly lit or sometimes even no light at all.”

Another option Ostfield says is being discussed is a “commando force” to go in and rescue the more than 100 Israeli hostages.

“In general this is a very hard territory to fight in.

"Gaza is a very dense urban area. Any ground entry to Gaza would be very challenging and will probably have a lot of casualties on both sides.”

White House vows to 'get Americans home'​

As we have been reporting, up to 150 people have been taken hostage by Hamas militants last Saturday, and some of them are believed to be US citizens.

I spoke to National Security spokesman John Kirby at the White House a little while ago. Here are his answers to my questions:

How concerned is the president that Israeli troops are going in without the hostage situation being resolved?

KIRBY: "We are concerned - the conditions, the locations they’re in - not just Americans but others too. I won’t speak for the Israelis on what they may or may not do but Gaza is already a warzone because of the strikes."

But what if some of the casualties end up being American hostages?

KIRBY: "Hostage recovery in a time of war in a warzone is dangerous business and any time you’re moving to get hostages out, there’s always the risk harm could befall them, because you’re going to get them.

"It’s a constant give and take and it’s the pros and cons when you weigh what to do.

"Let’s not assume it’s an operation to get them - it could be a negotiation. We’re exploring those options as well."

The hostages are likely to be US-Israel dual citizens - so who is ultimately responsible for their safe return?

KIRBY: "I won’t speak for Israel but for the president - if you have an American passport you’re an American and we will treat you like any other American.

"We are not shirking our responsibility to get our Americans home."

Irish-Israeli woman missing after music festival attack confirmed dead​

Irish-Israeli woman Kim Damti, who had been missing in Israel since Saturday's attacks by Hamas, has been confirmed dead.

Ireland's foreign minister said it was devastating that the hope she might be found alive "has now been extinguished".

Kim Damti, 22, was at the Supernova music festival in Re'im in southern Israel when she was last seen.

More than 260 bodies have been recovered from the site.

Micheál Martin, who is tánaiste (deputy prime minister) as well as foreign minister, said he had spoken to Damti's family and sent them heartfelt condolences on behalf of the Irish government and people.

"We are with them in their grief," he said.

"For anyone to lose a child is devastating. To lose a child in such circumstances is indescribable," he added.

Three Canadian citizens confirmed killed, military planes to start evacuating citizens​

Three Canadian citizens had been killed in Israel since Hamas attacked the country on Saturday, and three more were missing, Canadian Foreign Minister Melanie Joly said earlier.

During a press conference, Joly said Canadian military planes would start flying out citizens and permanent residents from Tel Aviv to Athens as a first step.

She added that more than 4,700 Canadian citizens and permanent resident in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank had registered with the government, but did not give any details on how many of them wanted to be evacuated.

An older 2021 article.

Hamas: The Palestinian militant group that rules Gaza​

Hamas is the largest of several Palestinian militant Islamist groups.
Its name is an Arabic acronym for the Islamic Resistance Movement, originating as it did in 1988 after the beginning of the first Palestinian intifada, or uprising, against Israel's occupation of the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Under its charter, it is committed to the destruction of Israel.

Hamas originally had a dual purpose of carrying out an armed struggle against Israel - led by its military wing, the Izzedine al-Qassam Brigades - and delivering social welfare programmes.

But since 2005, when Israel withdrew its troops and settlers from Gaza, Hamas has also engaged in the Palestinian political process. It won the legislative elections in 2006, before reinforcing its power in Gaza the following year by ousting the rival Fatah movement of President Mahmoud Abbas.

Since then, militants in Gaza have fought four major conflicts with Israel, which along with Egypt has maintained a blockade on the strip to isolate Hamas and to pressure it to stop attacks.

Hamas as a whole, or in some cases its military wing, is designated a terrorist group by Israel, the United States, European Union and United Kingdom, as well as other powers.

Suicide bombings​

[…]

3m ago
Israel’s prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu, in a joint statement with defence minister Yoav Gallant and opposition party leader Benny Gantz, said the leadership of the new national emergency government stands united.

Netanyahu said:

We have put aside every other consideration because the fate of our country is at stake. We will work together, shoulder to shoulder, for the citizens of Israel and for the State of Israel.
Israel is fighting “with full force on all fronts”, he said, adding that “every Hamas member is a dead man”.

Just have to say, I'm not lacking compassion, nor was I "slightly inconvenienced". 252 people died that day I can't even describe all the destruction of houses, businesses, fire stations, ect.

The point is, lack of electricity sucks but it's survivable.

Just have to say, I'm not lacking compassion, nor was I "slightly inconvenienced". 252 people died that day I can't even describe all the destruction of houses, businesses, fire stations, ect.

The point is, lack of electricity sucks but it's survivable.
I am afraid it’s not survivable when you are relying on medicines refrigeration, on incubators, ventilators, scanners, dialysis machines …

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angelicamcolon