Italy - Sailing yacht sank off Italian coast, 15 rescued, 7 missing, 19 August 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There is no way that I would feel safe with a tilt of this magnitude. The people don’t look concerned though.

The sides don’t look as tall as they look on a regular yacht. I’m not familiar with the details but I’d call it a large sail boat.
A sailing yacht is a sailboat, any boat with a mast and sail, regardless of size and type, is a sailboat. Yacht is a boat type with a length of more than 10 metres (33 feet), and they can either be sail- or motorpowered.

In this photo taken previously it looks like the yacht is about to turn over. The water is right up to it.
View attachment 526068
It seems to be under full sail, and it has a keel, its not about to turn over, it's a normal tilt for sailboats, and it was built for that. If the mast was to break, then there might be danger, as that would shift the balance of the yacht.

A sailing yacht is a sailboat, any boat with a mast and sail, regardless of size and type, is a sailboat. Yacht is a boat type with a length of more than 10 metres (33 feet), and they can either be sail- or motorpowered.

This is so interesting
(from links above)

"The term, yacht, originates from the Dutch word jacht (pl. jachten), which means "hunt", and originally referred to light, fast sailing vessels that the Dutch Republic navy used to pursue pirates and other transgressors around and into the shallow waters of the Low Countries."

1724318895991.png

An 18th - century Dutch "jacht"

Italian prosecutors will now look to explain why the Bayesian sank when other nearby boats managed to stay afloat during the freak storm.

Part of that investigation will centre on the ship's keel, which was partially elevated at the time of the storm.

The keel, which extends like a giant fin underneath the boat and acts as a counterweight to the tall mast, was not fully down despite poor weather being forecast hours earlier.

It comes as an unearthed video from 2019 shot in Auckland, New Zealand, showed what should happen when a ship like the Bayesian overturns in stormy weather.

Earlier today, the Mail's Robert Hardman revealed CCTV footage of a tornado pushing a large superyacht with a similar mast style to the Bayesian onto its side.

But rather than capsizing, the mast quickly flips straight back up to its upright position.

Italian prosecutors will now look to explain why the Bayesian sank when other nearby boats managed to stay afloat during the freak storm.

Part of that investigation will centre on the ship's keel, which was partially elevated at the time of the storm.

The keel, which extends like a giant fin underneath the boat and acts as a counterweight to the tall mast, was not fully down despite poor weather being forecast hours earlier.

It comes as an unearthed video from 2019 shot in Auckland, New Zealand, showed what should happen when a ship like the Bayesian overturns in stormy weather.

Earlier today, the Mail's Robert Hardman revealed CCTV footage of a tornado pushing a large superyacht with a similar mast style to the Bayesian onto its side.

But rather than capsizing, the mast quickly flips straight back up to its upright position.
So if I'm understanding this correctly they had sixteen minutes to evacuate?

"The dynamic of the sinking is seen and read from AIS (Automatic Identification System) data and lasted sixteen minutes.

"We have given this data to the prosecutors at Termini Immerse. From the images it looks as if the yacht had been taking on water for four minutes."

The identities of the bodies have now been confirmed

It’s the daughters body that is still missing - I hope they find her today.
There were six guest cabins and six separate families/couples I believe, or have I got that wrong? I wonder if Hannah was sharing the master suite with her parents?

Last edited:
Is it possible Hannah, the only remaining missing person, might still be afloat somewhere? I know she could be in the yacht, but what are the possibilities that she might have put on a life vest, was carried away by a current, but survived? Possible? Hoping anyway. I don't know the paths of currents there. But since the water is very warm, if she didn't go down with the boat, it might be a factor in helping her survive until found.

'Mistakes were made' - CEO of The Italian Sea Group​

12:50 BST​

The Bayesian yacht
Image source,Mateo Brenninkmeijer
Image caption,
The Bayesian yacht
"Everything that was done reveals a very long list of errors," according to Giovanni Costantino, CEO of The Italian Sea Group, which owns Perini Navi - the company who built the Bayesian.

He tells Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera:

• the yacht shouldn't have been at anchor
  • the stern hatch was clearly open
  • the ship's keel - the blade sticking into the water from underneath - should have been lowered
  • people shouldn't have been in the cabins
  • the crew should have known about the incoming storm

"Ask yourself," he says. "Why were no fishermen from Porticello out that night? A fisherman reads the weather conditions and a ship doesn't?

"The storm was in all the weather charts. It couldn't have been ignored."

Costantino says the sinking could have been avoided. It is good practice, he says, to have a guard on the bridge when a ship is anchored.

A guard would have seen the storm coming and the necessary measures would have been taken, he adds.

Bayesian live updates: One person still missing as officials work to identify five bodies found on Sicily yacht

Clearly, the designers are throwing the crew under the bus in that article. It'll be interesting to see what the crew's take on things is when they speak to the media.

The Italian authorities will investigate to see if criminal charges should be brought against anyone, but under international maritime law responsibility for determining why a ship foundered rests with the country of registration, so even though the Bayesian sank in Italian waters, it's the UK's Marine Accident Investigation Branch that should lead that part of the investigation. The MAIB have announced that their invesigation has started.

Clearly, the designers are throwing the crew under the bus in that article. It'll be interesting to see what the crew's take on things is when they speak to the media.

The Italian authorities will investigate to see if criminal charges should be brought against anyone, but under international maritime law responsibility for determining why a ship foundered rests with the country of registration, so even though the Bayesian sank in Italian waters, it's the UK's Marine Accident Investigation Branch that should lead that part of the investigation. The MAIB have announced that their invesigation has started.

Sensing trouble for the Captain after the investigation is completed. Hope I'm wrong. Feel dreadfully sorry for him and the crew right now.

I do think there will be some kind of trouble. Reading more about Lynch's wife she sustained most/all her injuries on deck, which she said she and her husband weren't scared when the ship tilted but went on deck to inquire what was going on. It might have been a case of too much luxury with Lynch being complacent and staying put so other guests did too waiting to hear what Angela said and the crew not requiring passengers to go on deck and get lifejackets on. It seems like the crew took it as an emergency but not enough of an emergency to inconvenience luxury passengers, so I think that's why most of the crew survived while others like Mike Lynch voluntarily stayed in their cabins. Also with the investigation, I could see how the portholes were left open as a matter of luxury to cool the ship even though it wouldn't be safe...keeping the ship cool by leaving the portholes open and not evacuating the passengers to the deck to put on lifejackets would be a consistent pattern of behavior if you're more focused on luxury rather than safety, which that could cost the captain if he put passenger safety second.

It seems to be under full sail, and it has a keel, its not about to turn over, it's a normal tilt for sailboats, and it was built for that. If the mast was to break, then there might be danger, as that would shift the balance of the yacht.

having never been on a boat like that, I would need to be sedated

:(

'We are grieving for our loved ones and all of those affected by the tragedy.

Our parents were incredible people and an inspiration to many,
but first and foremost they were focused on and loved their family
and spending time with their new grandchildren.

Together for five decades,
our only comfort is that they are still together now.

This is an unimaginable grief to shoulder.'

Rest in Peace

Twenty-two people were aboard the superyacht Bayesian when a powerful storm off Sicily capsized the ship and sent it to the bottom of the sea.

Eleven were guests of host Mike Lynch, a British tech tycoon who had invited them to join a cruise to celebrate his recent acquittal on fraud and conspiracy charges. Ten were members of the ship’s crew.

Fifteen people were rescued after the storm. Seven, including Lynch, did not survive...

Last edited:
I find it curious the captain from the other boat (the one that caught it all on CCTV, and was relatively close) was awake and had taken action due to the weather.
But then I also think about what logical action you would take- even if the alarm was sounded for the guests (and we don’t know it wasn’t, even if it was a crew member verbally trying to tell guests) and the sleeping guests woke and started putting on life vests- they could still have potentially been in the rooms that effectively got sealed by sliding mattresses as the ship tilted. Even raising the anchor is a slower process than most of us think, so all the crew could have been alert, and it was still unavoidable.

Note to self if I won the lottery and owned a yacht, attach the mattresses with straps to the bed.
Bbm.
Agreed !
And maybe everything should be attached that can be -- tables, seats, etc. ?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heypig06
Back