Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Status #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Radiation Levels - As of this morning, background radiation levels from our stations on the West Coast still look pretty normal, when disregarding the randomness of background radiation in the first place. As an indication of foreign radiation moving into the environment, such as a gamma laden cloud, keep on the lookout for a sustained increase and trend in background levels over time, to where multiple stations start averaging first in the 40's, the 50's, and 60's to 100 CPM range. Keep in mind that spikes and troughs in readings for any one minute are not relevant - only average readings at a sustained rate are meaningful.

and

High readings in CO - The Radiation levels on the stations in Colorado are higher on average than the others because some are at elevations as high as 8,000 to 9,000 feet, where there is less atmospheric shielding from the cosmic rays that make up most of what we call the background radiation count. As an example, I have taken a Geiger Counter on a passenger plane flight and recorded readings up to 800 CPM at 40,000 feet! So those high readings are quite normal for certain Colorado stations.

and

Accuracy of Readings - While most visitors to the Radiation Network welcome the service, a few have questioned the accuracy and legitimacy of the radiation readings. That healthy skepticism is a good thing, especially given the sensitive nature of this subject matter. I can only say that we don't have an agenda, other than the collection and reporting of Radiation levels taken on a scientific basis. Since our network is of a server/client nature, we exercise some control over the issuance of Monitoring Station participation in the first place, and retain the ability to shut down any station that abuses its license. Having said that, I am very pleased with, and proud of the makeup of our Monitoring Stations. These are largely just individuals like you and me who are concerned and aware, diligent in recording readings, and interestingly, many of them are ham radio operators at the same time. (MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER ABOUT THIS NETWORK, IMO.)

http://radiationnetwork.com/Message.htm

Anyone know why the one reading near San Francisco/San Jose reads zero? Is it down or is there no radiation right now?

http://radiationnetwork.com/

Oh, aren't these individual people posting the readings?

Disclaimer: I do not own or know how any of these geiger counters really operates with this site.

I wouldn't read anything sinister into it. Could be just a malfunction of some sort.

And/Or be thankful your reading is 0?

Is this the second time that "Safe" levels have been arbitrarily raised, or is this still related to the first time?

God keep them.

I think that would be the second time... I believe they raised it to 100 the first time.

I can't get out of mind reading that the elderly especially are suffering and cold...I feel so guilty being warm and comfortable in my house, no matter that I have a bug and am somewhat disabled and have some money problems. I am living in luxury right now in comparison. I don't think I'll even be able to sleep, thinking of those scared, cold, confused people who did nothing to end up in this nightmare.

Indonesia is getting a bit huccupy in the last 24 hours.....

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.php

Thanks Mommy, That is always a grounding site to read, showing all the activity. Last night on Portland's news they said there were several small earthquakes at Mt St Helen's !!! The reporter said he was quite surprised to see that. It made me think of Herding's post about how the activity on the West side of the Ring of Fire might be having consequences on the East side of it.

Thanks Mommy, That is always a grounding site to read, showing all the activity. Last night on Portland's news they said there were several small earthquakes at Mt St Helen's !!! The reporter said he was quite surprised to see that. It made me think of Herding's post about how the activity on the West side of the Ring of Fire might be having consequences on the East side of it.

Hasn't St. Helens been "active" again for a few years now?? I kinda forgot about that... ( I am from Ptown ;) ) But is it getting worse?

I just feel that the Japan disaster is not the last of them for this year.... And I hope I am wrong, but the more I read, the more it seems so...

I can't get out of mind reading that the elderly especially are suffering and cold...I feel so guilty being warm and comfortable in my house, no matter that I have a bug and am somewhat disabled and have some money problems. I am living in luxury right now in comparison. I don't think I'll even be able to sleep, thinking of those scared, cold, confused people who did nothing to end up in this nightmare.
Yes, yes and yes. I learned from Katrina that nothing is forever. I'm grateful for each moment of normalcy and have come to cherish the words "routine" and "mundane". A roof, a warm bed, food in the fridge, and a clean bathroom with privacy is all that I need and hope to maintain in the way of material needs.

Like everyone else, my heart has been full of sorrow all week. Focusing on the nuclear crisis has turned my attention away from the stories of the eq/tsunami victims. But the 30 school children still waiting to be picked up from school really brought it home for me. :( It hurts.

Yes, yes and yes. I learned from Katrina that nothing is forever. I'm grateful for each moment of normalcy and have come to cherish the words "routine" and "mundane". A roof, a warm bed, food in the fridge, and a clean bathroom with privacy is all that I need and hope to maintain in the way of material needs.

Like everyone else, my heart has been full of sorrow all week. Focusing on the nuclear crisis has turned my attention away from the stories of the eq/tsunami victims. But the 30 school children still waiting to be picked up from school really brought it home for me. :( It hurts.

What brought it home the hardest for me is a nine year old boy printing the names of his entire missing family on a sign and walking around with that and a sign that promises to come back tomorrow. he should be worrying about homework and making it to school on time... My heart is literally broken for that child and the thousands in that boat with him.

0631: Officials say three or four kinds of farm produce have been found to be contaminated, reports Kyodo. Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano is reportedly due to talk about the contaminated food issue around 1600 local time (0700GMT).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

CNN had breaking news on this story.

When will it end?? Such tragedy.

Also warplane dropped from the sky in Benghazi, Libya.

FLASH: IAEA says Japan has ordered a halt to all sales of food products from Fukushima prefecture

from reuters twitter

Japan cites radiation in milk, spinach near plant

FUKUSHIMA, Japan (AP) -- In the first sign that contamination from Japan's stricken nuclear complex had seeped into the food chain, officials said Saturday that radiation levels in spinach and milk from farms near the tsunami-crippled facility exceeded government safety limits.

Minuscule amounts of radioactive iodine also were found in tap water in Tokyo and elsewhere in Japan - although experts said none of the tests showed any health risks.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-03-19-08-25-18

A replacement power line reached the complex Friday, but workers needed to methodically work through badly damaged and deeply complex electrical systems to make the final linkups without setting off a spark and potentially an explosion. Company officials hoped to be able to switch on the cooling systems Sunday.

Once the power is reconnected, it is not clear if the cooling systems will still work.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-19-08-25-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member