Jian Ghomeshi, well known, well respected radio host fired for Sexual Assault

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ghomeshi showed CBC Executives graphic evidence of him causing harm to a woman in his lawyer's office in downtown Toronto so I’m assuming Jian’s lawyers thought this was the right thing to do.

In hindsight, if JG hadn't shown CBC executives the videotape, no one would have known he had it and he wouldn't have been fired 3 days later. Now this incriminating evidence can be used against him when this case goes to trial. I'll be surprised if Jian's case is thrown out of court.

His lawyers also filed the frivolous lawsuit against CBC on behalf of their client which was dropped and ended up costing Ghomeshi $18,000.

If Marie Heinen had done her homework, wouldn't she have found out that a grievance with CBC had to be filed through Ghomeshi's Union? I personally don't think Marie Heinen is a competent lawyer who has her client’s interests at heart. She's only made matters worse for Jian and I wonder if Jian should fire her or if MH should step down and take herself off this case. There seems to be a conflict of interest here.

Henein made jokes at Ghomeshi’s expense as she emceed a dinner celebrating past presidents of the Criminal Lawyers’ Association in Toronto. She is said to have joked to the crowd of lawyers and judges of both the Ontario Court and Superior Courts of Justice, some of whom could hear Ghomeshi’s case if he is charged.

JMO

https://nowtoronto.com/news/features/video-killed-the-radio-star/
http://www.bayview-news.com/2014/11/ghomeshi-lawyer-tough-stylish-and-smart.html

I disagree with the last part. He is not denying that he was into S&M or whatever you call it. Her jokes confirm he's into this stuff and she's making light of it like it is no big deal. She could have very well been retained to act for him by that point and this was a strategy. He has not denied anything she joked about.

Their argument relates to consent.

JMO.

I disagree with the last part. He is not denying that he was into S&M or whatever you call it. Her jokes confirm he's into this stuff and she's making light of it like it is no big deal. She could have very well been retained to act for him by that point and this was a strategy. He has not denied anything she joked about.

Their argument relates to consent.

JMO.

JG hasn't spoken to the media since his arrest so we don't know how he feels about the comments Marie Heinen made at the dinner and whether she had his consent.

Will Ms. Heinen’s comments which were posted in The Toronto Sun “taint the jury pool or Judge” or don’t they matter?

I don’t know why Marie Heinen made those comments about her client at a gala dinner in Toronto but the article in The Toronto Sun said Henein’s jokes were made at Ghomeshi’s expense.

Apparently JG hired her because of her credentials and work on other high profile cases.

She also joked that she and Eddie Greenspan, famed Canadian criminal lawyer and the evening’s keynote speaker, have worked together for many years. “Some criminal. Some regulatory. Some light BDSM.” Both jokes drew huge laughs from the crowd at the Ritz Carlton.

Marie Heinen told the gathered reporters at the Courthouse her client would be pleading not guilty and there would be no further statements to the media "We will address these allegations fully and directly in a courtroom. It is not my practice to litigate my cases in the media," yet she went ahead and made these comments about her client which were posted in The Toronto Sun.

jmo

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/11/03/ed-sock-jian-ghomeshi-facebook_n_6096092.html

"Usually Canadian comedian Ed The Sock (voiced by Steven Kerzner) delivers inappropriate, non-PC humour and steers clear of serious issues.

But in a new Facebook post, he weighs in on the scandal surrounding ex-CBC radio host Jian Ghomeshi."

Ed the sock has more on his Facebook page...

Ed the Sock: "Fame is a privilege. Talent has something to do with it, but more often it's timing. Being famous doesn't mean you're above the rules, it means the spotlight is on you to set an example. And when you need ME to start extolling the virtue of rules, the slippery slope has slid to the bottom."

Well said Ed.

Ed the Sock. Huh. Well, there's a blast from the past.

Ed the Sock. Huh. Well, there's a blast from the past.

(OT) Agreed -- Funny that he should be mentioned here at this time of year. I only remember Ed the Sock as hosting the annual 'Fromage' bad-video special on MuchMusic during the Christmas/New Year's season. Watching it was a tradition of sorts.

CBC management announced Monday they are pulling almost all interviews conducted by Jian Ghomeshi offline, sparking outrage from Q listeners on social media.
“We aren’t erasing the archives, we’re just taking them offline for now,” said CBC media relations chief Chuck Thompson told the Star in an email Tuesday.
Thompson said Ghomeshi’s interviews posted on CBC platforms and YouTube will be taken offline “very soon.” He said “the lion’s share” of interviews will be taken off the CBC’s website and YouTube channel but there may be some exceptions.

Why???? Hmmmmm.....

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/12/16/cbc_yanking_jian_ghomeshis_interviews_offline.html

I strongly disagree with pulling his interviews. His guests have said very insightful things and the focus should be on them instead of him. My favourite Q show was the one with musician Kate Nash. She's really inspiring to young women and speaks out against sexism. Consider what has been made public, it's ironic and kind of hypocritical how Ghomeshi responded with "We live in a patriarchal world" (@11:29) when discussing this matter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wawihKjKv-A

What Jian Ghomeshi’s rapid fall from grace taught us this year
Financial Post
by: Howard Levitt | December 31, 2014 | Last Updated: Dec 31 5:00 PM ET
http://business.financialpost.com/2...is-rapid-fall-from-grace-taught-us-this-year/

From the article:
..."Similarly, Canadians have become more familiar with sexual harassment law, including the duty to investigate complaints and the fact that human rights and criminal processes are quite different. Finally, they have learned that all investigations are not equal, ranging from those designed to expose to those designed to conceal."...

CBC head of radio Chris Boyce, a central figure in the Jian Ghomeshi story, and one other executive were put on a leave of absence Monday.
A memo sent to CBC staff Monday afternoon said Boyce and Todd Spencer, executive director, human resources and industrial relations for English services “will be on a leave of absence effective today until further notice.”
Boyce was one of two CBC executives who said they viewed evidence at Ghomeshi’s lawyers’ offices on Oct. 23 that Ghomeshi had caused physical injury to a woman. Ghomeshi was fired three days later.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/01/05/cbc_radio_chief_taking_leave_of_absence.html

Boyce told the CBC’s the fifth estate in November that the CBC had conducted an internal investigation over the summer into Ghomeshi with regards to allegations of inappropriate behaviour in the workplace, but said they came up empty.
He said the investigation included speaking with staff members at Ghomeshi’s former hit radio show, Q, but the staffers who were there at the time told the fifth estate they had not been spoken to. When confronted with this information, Boyce said he was leaving it up to Janice Rubin, the employment lawyer who is conducting an ongoing workplace investigation at the CBC in the wake of the Ghomeshi allegations.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/01/05/cbc_radio_chief_taking_leave_of_absence.html

New charges..
rbbm.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/jian-ghomeshi-faces-3-new-sexual-assault-charges-1.2893723

"Former CBC radio host Jian Ghomeshi is facing three new charges of sexual assault from three female complainants who had not come forward previously.

The news of the latest charges came Thursday morning.

Ghomeshi was in court for what was expected to be the setting of a date for a preliminary inquiry on previous sexual assault and choking charges.

In addition to the latest charges, Ghomeshi faces four sexual-assault counts and one charge of overcoming resistance by choking.

He appeared in the court accompanied by his mother and wearing a suit and tie. He appeared sombre and kept his head down as the new charges were read in court".

More than 1,000 pages of disclosure about sex assault charges given to Jian Ghomeshi’s lawyers

More than 1,000 pages of information regarding sex assault charges against disgraced former radio star Jian Ghomeshi are in the hands of his lawyers, a court heard on Wednesday.

In a brief appearance at College Park courthouse, the case was put over until February 26.

No trial date has been set.

Mr. Ghomeshi, who is out on bail living with his mother, was not in court personally, instead sending his lawyer Danielle Robitaille to speak on his behalf.

Crown attorney Jennifer Armstrong told the court “the case is progressing” as is disclosure.

“There are remaining items yet to be disclosed,” added Ms. Robitaille.

Mr. Ghomeshi stands accused by six women of a string of sexual assaults dating back several years. He also faces a seventh charge of overcome resistance choking. Actress Lucy DeCoutere is the only alleged victim who has consented to being identified publicly.

None of the allegations have been proven in court. His lawyers say Mr. Ghomeshi intends to plead not guilty to all charges. Ms. Robitaille declined to make any additional comments as she left the courthouse, trailed by a crowd of reporters.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...s-given-to-jian-ghomeshi’s-lawyers/ar-AA8YSNm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back