JLM: Morgan Harrington/Fairfax Rape Victim - *Forensic Link* to MH #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Otto
I noted the following on photo #11 in your link:

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2012/june/help-FBI-catch-morgan-harrington-killer/photo-gallery/#

That is the first time I read about a suspicious vehicle outside the grocery store. Then there is this statement from the fbi.gov site:

http://www.fbi.gov/washingtondc/pre...dia-campaign-in-morgan-harrington-murder-case

I always thought he was lying in wait to attack by surprise. So did he follow her in his vehicle?

i know this is about MH but in relation to this look up autumn wind day

Jmo I think it is going to be tough to try to link him to disappearances up to ten years back, especially since most of the victims were never found. Very hard to pin down where someone was on a particular day that far back, I would think. And then try to prove a case. I am also not convinced that he was interested in women in cars so much as the "pure" victimness of a lone woman on foot, even more "appealing" if late at night with possible intoxication a factor. Neither Morgan or Hannah would have provided much of a challenge in their states of intoxication. I am not sure how many others of those missing were on foot.

But jmo.

Hi Otto
I noted the following on photo #11 in your link:

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2012/june/help-FBI-catch-morgan-harrington-killer/photo-gallery/#

That is the first time I read about a suspicious vehicle outside the grocery store. Then there is this statement from the fbi.gov site:

http://www.fbi.gov/washingtondc/pre...dia-campaign-in-morgan-harrington-murder-case

I always thought he was lying in wait to attack by surprise. So did he follow her in his vehicle?

Hi, I'm new. Sorry if this has already been posted. I read that the victim was being followed, and when she turned around, he said he was waiting for a friend. Hope this link works:
http://patch.com/virginia/fairfaxcit...-mor84c9a34d12

It is said that among the last to be seen with MH were 3 members of the UVA men's basketball team. You will not find them identified anywhere. The 3 would be among the 15 on the team roster for that season. Here is that roster:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/virginia/2010.html#roster::none

Roster

Player Class Ht Summary
Calvin Baker SR G 6-2 3.0 Pts, 1.2 Reb, 1.9 Ast
Doug Browman FR G 5-11 0.0 Pts, 0.3 Reb, 0.0 Ast
Jontel Evans FR G 5-11 2.4 Pts, 1.5 Reb, 1.9 Ast
Mustapha Farrakhan JR G 6-4 6.5 Pts, 1.7 Reb, 2.0 Ast
Jeff Jones JR G 6-6 7.3 Pts, 1.3 Reb, 0.4 Ast
Tom Jonke SR G 6-0 0.0 Pts, 0.3 Reb, 0.0 Ast
Thomas Kody FR G 6-3 0.0 Pts, 0.3 Reb, 0.3 Ast
Sylven Landesberg SO G 6-6 17.3 Pts, 4.9 Reb, 2.9 Ast
Jerome Meyinsse SR F 6-9 6.5 Pts, 4.1 Reb, 0.4 Ast
Mike Scott JR F 6-8 12.0 Pts, 7.2 Reb, 1.3 Ast
Assane Sene SO C 7-0 1.6 Pts, 3.6 Reb, 0.2 Ast
Will Sherrill JR F 6-9 3.0 Pts, 3.0 Reb, 0.5 Ast
Tristan Spurlock FR G 6-8 2.4 Pts, 0.8 Reb, 0.1 Ast
Solomon Tat SR F 6-5 1.4 Pts, 0.6 Reb, 0.0 Ast
Sammy Zeglinski SO G 6-1 8.9 Pts, 3.8 Reb, 2.6 Ast

Do you know where I can find more details about the Fairfax rape? I had not read that she was beaten or bloody.
Hey there Detective Klimpt, I read that she was beaten bloody in this article. Took me awhile to go back and find it....but here it is. http://www.readthehook.com/67132/morgans-killer-fairfax-case-connection-offers-hope-fresh-fear

"When resident Stephen Hannan arrived home that night at around 10:30pm from his job cooking at a nearby restaurant, he says seven police cruisers were already on the scene and an ambulance parked on the grass near a wooden gazebo, where the victim–- whose identity has not been released–- was being treated inside.
"I didn't know what happened," says Hannan, noting that the next day the neighbors who had offered her assistance by calling 911 described the horrifying sight that greeted them when they opened the door to find the traumatized woman asking for help.
"She was beaten bloody," he says."

How does someone with an IQ of 80 (which has been suggested during the larger case discussion) get away with murder and rape for nearly 15 years? Is he actually low IQ, really good at appearing contrite and playing dumb, or is he simply rather clever when it comes to rape and murder?

Snipped from the article below: "When I was looking over his work, it was truly at the age of Grammar school. It was see spot run, with handwriting to match."

Here's a link to an interview with a former classmate who was tutoring him when he was at LU.
http://www.wset.com/story/26669474/classmate-of-jesse-matthews-speaks-out

However, I believe people compensate in other areas when they have learning disabilities, especially if it's a disability like dyslexia. I think he is street smart even if he is not book smart. A learning disability and intelligence are not mutually exclusive so he may very well have the capacity to plan and carry out a crime that goes undetected. I think his experience at LU taught him what it takes to get away with it and he just got better at it as time passed. And, honestly, if he lacked ideas to get away with a crime, all he had to do was turn on the tv.

I don't think his crimes showed much finesse ... I didn't keep up 100% with Morgan's story but watched the disappeared episode last night, and I'm assuming there is a decent chance she was taken off the bridge and there was no CCTV where their paths crossed. He was too dumb to realise that they'd be CCTV of him and Hannah and it has been his undoing. Or he intended to have a consensual encounter and ended up raging, regardless this is no criminal mastermind, it is just lucky circumstance that he got away with Morgan's murder for so long. In this day and age, the ones that lose control unexpectedly are going to be caught increasingly quickly because of technology, the digital footprint we all leave behind constantly is increasingly easy to analyse, better quality cameras, recognition software, credit cards and the ever present location revealing mobile phones.

Jmo I think it is going to be tough to try to link him to disappearances up to ten years back, especially since most of the victims were never found. Very hard to pin down where someone was on a particular day that far back, I would think. And then try to prove a case. I am also not convinced that he was interested in women in cars so much as the "pure" victimness of a lone woman on foot, even more "appealing" if late at night with possible intoxication a factor. Neither Morgan or Hannah would have provided much of a challenge in their states of intoxication. I am not sure how many others of those missing were on foot.

But jmo.

<BBM for Focus>
I agree cluciano63. I have studied and researched missing/murdered persons investigations and prosecution strategies of serial predators for years. The strategy that was utilized in LA, 08/18/2012 - Brandon Scott Lavergne, 33, pleaded guilty Friday to two counts of first-degree murder in the death of ULL student, Michaela &#8220;Mickey&#8221; Shunick. The MS investigation went from stranger abduction to sentencing in less than 90 days. Serial killer BS Lavergne's prosecution is synonymous to the strategy used in the Green River serial killer Gary Ridgeway, Kings Co., WA, almost a decade earlier. A guilty plea, the identification and location of all of their victims, in exchange for taking the death penalty off the table for LWOP. The alternative is that many of the unknown victims are never identified, located, and justice for them and their families denied..

Due to many reasons, the death penalty is very seldom carried out in the new millennium. Not only is it very expensive, but the families, and friends of the victims having to relive the tragedy over & over again for decades due to automatic appeals, security, and a means to an end to begin the healing process for them and the entire community/state. Usually, depending on the magnitude/number of victims, these cases go from arrest to sentencing in only a few weeks or months, instead of a trial which can last years..

When a plea agreement of LWOP was reached in the four capital murder serial killer cases that I am aware of, the right to appeals was forfeited by the serial killer defendant. Two were in NC/Federal, one in GA, & the other in Seattle, WA.

Drifter Pleads Guilty To Killing Hiker
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/drifter-pleads-guilty-to-killing-hiker/
02/2008 DAWSON COUNTY, Ga. &#8212; Gary Michael Hilton was sentenced Thursday to life in prison without parole after pleading guilty to murder in the beating-death of a young woman hiker in the north Georgia mountains. A plea agreement means Hilton will be sentenced to life in prison and will avoid the death penalty in this case.
During a hearing in Dawson County Superior Court, District Attorney Lee Darragh said the plea agreement was signed earlier in the day.

The plea spared Hilton from the death penalty, reports the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Judge Bonnie Oliver asked Hilton how he pleaded. He replied, "Guilty."

Convicted serial killer Gary Michael Hilton has pleaded guilty to two more murders in North Carolina(federal).
As part of the plea deal, Hilton will spend life in prison with no chance of parole.
Hilton pleaded guilty today to killing John and Irene Bryant in 2007.
Prosecutors say Hilton camped out waiting for victims before he encountered the elderly couple hiking in the Pisgah National Forest.

Hilton is already serving a life sentence in Georgia for kidnapping and killing a hiker there and he is on death row in Florida for the kidnapping and murder of Crawfordville Sunday school teacher Cheryl Dunlap.

Gary Leon Ridgway (born February 18, 1949) is an American serial killer known as the Green River Killer, convicted of 48 separate murders and confessed to nearly double that number. As part of a plea bargain wherein he agreed to disclose the whereabouts of still-missing women, he was spared the death penalty and received a sentence of Life imprisonment without parole.

* King County Prosecuting Attorney Norm Maleng explained his decision to make the deal:
We could have gone forward with seven counts, but that is all we could have ever hoped to solve. At the end of that trial, whatever the outcome, there would have been lingering doubts about the rest of these crimes.

This agreement was the avenue to the truth. And in the end, the search for the truth is still why we have a criminal justice system ... Gary Ridgway does not deserve our mercy. He does not deserve to live.
* The mercy provided by today's resolution is directed not at Ridgway, but toward the families who have suffered so much .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Ridgway

* Assistant District Attorney Keith Stutes is taking a no-holds-barred approach, .... Imo, the strategy being used to prosecute BS Lavergne, is straight from the playbook of the Gary Ridgeway prosecution(Kings county,WA)"
A possible preview of tomorrow's evidentiary hearing, imo..

Gary Ridgway'Green River Killer' Part 5 of 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmOUAdLgN1A

(Unfortunately) he learned one lesson in life, a dead girl does not tell to get you in trouble. It took him 7 years to learn that (with mistakes in 2002, 2003 and 2005)... but sadly with Morgan it worked for a while, then why not do the same with Hannah. :(

Foxfire
"* Assistant District Attorney Keith Stutes is taking a no-holds-barred approach, .... Imo, the strategy being used to prosecute BS Lavergne, is straight from the playbook of the Gary Ridgeway prosecution(Kings county,WA)"
A possible preview of tomorrow's evidentiary hearing, imo.. "

Thanks Foxfire, This answers my questions as to prosecution of a killer of this magnitude. Makes a lot of sense for sparing the families, and helping bring home the victims.

Re: Alexis Murphy. It is impossible for me to believe RAT would NOT have ratted out ANYONE who had the even the s.l.i.g.h.t.est possibility of casting doubt on his involvement long ago. Grasping for straws/media attention. imho

Sorry that I did not follow the MH story, but can someone tell me why she left the arena to go to the bathroom? Are there not bathrooms inside the arena?? JMO

Sorry that I did not follow the MH story, but can someone tell me why she left the arena to go to the bathroom? Are there not bathrooms inside the arena?? JMO

I believe she went outside for a cigarette and could not get back inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaexo21