JLM: Morgan Harrington/Fairfax Rape Victim - *Forensic Link* to MH #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The farmer was completely cleared as a suspect. Regardless, if I understood the articles I read, that was the first place LE took the dogs when they were searching for Hannah.

DIDn't know about the dogs. Thanks!

Yes! I agree 100%. Don't publicly flog me....but I believe (Correct me if I am wrong) Gil has stated that Morgan was raped and while she very well may have been given the history of the POI, I am not sure how she came to that conclusion when she has also stated that all that was left was bones. I feel for her and can't even begin to imagine what she is going through, but I am not sure that what she has said publicly (broken bones due to being brutally beaten, etc) isn't just a matter of forming an opinion based on the autopsy results. JMO of course.

ETA: "Harrington was ultimately reunited with her beautiful, young 20-year-old daughter, 101 days after she vanished. Gil says Morgan was raped and beaten. Her remains were discovered on a farm in Albemarle County."
http://www.nbc12.com/story/26657776/morgan-harringtons-mother-speaks-on-link-to-daughters-homicide

JMO, but I would guess that since Gil released that information and LE didn't release cause of death, perhaps it was blunt force trauma? It would certainly fit the rage-induced profile that has been developing. It fits the pattern of his rage and violence escalating - starting with raping women he knew in college, then raping a stranger and attempting to choke her out (Fairfax victim) then progressed to beating while raping and killing (MH). It breaks my heart to say this, but certainly doesn't bode well for HG. He may have portrayed himself as a somewhat dumb, gentle giant to his friends but he has a secret inner rage and hatred for women and couldn't resist his urges when he had an opportunity. JMO, of course.

I don't think Bass' statement is oddly worded so much as personalized. He calls her Morgan and was probably profoundly affected by discovering her body. Nobody else was in a position to make the discovery, given the location, so he probably just means it took him that long to make the rounds or inspect that part of his property, not that he was actively looking. At least, that is how I read the statement.

I don't think Bass' statement is oddly worded so much as personalized. He calls her Morgan and was probably profoundly affected by discovering her body. Nobody else was in a position to make the discovery, given the location, so he probably just means it took him that long to make the rounds or inspect that part of his property, not that he was actively looking. At least, that is how I read the statement.

I completely agree with you. Can you imagine being the one to have found her? I think maybe even "profoundly affected" might be an understatement if it were me.

Yep - I guess that's what I was noodling. The statement has a strong sense of self. Struck me as a little strange TBH.

A friend of mine had a conversation with Mr. Bass after he found Morgan's remains. She told me that Mr. Bass was deeply affected by having found Morgan. I'm certain that such a discovery is immensely shocking.

several MSM outlets have confirmed that "unnamed" LE sources have said the link is DNA, and no one, named or unnamed, has come out to refute that. IMO you can pretty much take it to the bank that thats what the link is.

I am hoping that the evidence is direct DNA match to JM to incriminating DNA on Morgan and to the Fairfax victim. Whether it is that or not, has not been verified. I don't think the matching results from the swabs directly taken from JM have returned yet and that is what is likely to be needed before charges get filed. There is also DNA type evidence that would not be so strong in terms of a case, and we don't know if that was found.

I am hoping that the evidence is direct DNA match to JM to incriminating DNA on Morgan and to the Fairfax victim. Whether it is that or not, has not been verified. I don't think the matching results from the swabs directly taken from JM have returned yet and that is what is likely to be needed before charges get filed. There is also DNA type evidence that would not be so strong in terms of a case, and we don't know if that was found.

I've been wondering if there is a possibility that there may be more cases linked by DNA to Morgan but that the Fairfax rape was only publicized because of the sketch associated with it. Perhaps other links were kept quiet to reduce fear of a serial killer in the area? But as I type this, I'm really not sure if such a tactic would help or hurt in the case. I really don't know enough about LE or typical cases to make a real educated guess.

Not to get off subject but if anyone can bring this all together it will be Longo.I don't know if this has been mentioned ,he also holds a law degree besides being a chief of police.Chief Longo is a 25-year veteran of law enforcement and is nationally-recognized in the area of police ethics and professional standards. He holds a law degree from the University of Baltimore and was admitted to the Maryland Bar in 1993. From 1981-2000, Longo served on the Baltimore police force, where he commanded several divisions and retired as Colonel in charge of Technical Services. Since 2001 he has served as Chief of Police for the City of Charlottesville, Virginia. http://www.fraziergroupllc.com/experts/timothy-j-longo-sr-chief-of-police/

I don't know where exactly to post this, so I'll do it here and also in the Search #2 thread.

There's been some discussion on if JM had/has any connection with Fairfax- I guess b/c people want to be able to place him there vis a vis the Fairfax rape case (?) Well, I'm of the mindset that JM has already been pegged for being forensically attached to that event, so I'm not entirely sure why it matters all that much to try to place him there ourselves, or to find a definitive broad connection to Fairfax. However, I did a little sleuthing, and I've come upon (yes, a stretch perhaps... but perhaps not) an instagram account of someone who I believe may be related to him. I don't think I can name names, but this individual has JM's grandmother's last name of Carr, and he's in JM's listed f/b friends. In any case, one of his instagram "followers" is FairfaxKia (as in the car dealership), and FairfaxCycle (as in a bike store).

So, I don't know. Seems like there could be a legitimate JM connection to Fairfax there if he hung out around a family member. Have not done research yet to see if that family member actually lived in Fairfax though. Sorry I don't think I can post a link b/c it's a personal page with photos.

Wasn't there forensic evidence found on her body?

Mother said she was raped. There had to be a reason they knew that

http://abcnews.go.com/US/dna-links-abduction-morgan-harrington/story?id=12080850

Human, it would be logical to conclude that conclusive dna was found under her fingernails, imo.. Morgan Harrington, was a fighter.. 'She still is, imo'...

DNA Links Second Abduction-Rape to Morgan Harrington
Nov. 7, 2010

Nov 7, 2010 - Morgan Harrington's parents, Gil and Dan, left and right, and brother, Alex, arrive for a ... Her body was found on a Virginia farm in January. ... knows Harrington would not have succumbed to a killer without putting up a fight.

Family and Friends of Harrington Suspect Foul Play by Local

Family and friends of Harrington have long been convinced that she was a victim of a murderer.

Jenna Testerman, one of Harrington's best friends, said in February that she knows Harrington would not have succumbed to a killer without putting up a fight.

"I really don't know what happened to her," Testerman told ABCNews.com, just days after the search for Harrington came to a grim ending with the discovery of her body. "She wasn't someone who would just wander off."

"But what I do know is that Morgan is a fighter and she would have fought to the death," said Testerman.

I've been wondering if there is a possibility that there may be more cases linked by DNA to Morgan but that the Fairfax rape was only publicized because of the sketch associated with it. Perhaps other links were kept quiet to reduce fear of a serial killer in the area? But as I type this, I'm really not sure if such a tactic would help or hurt in the case. I really don't know enough about LE or typical cases to make a real educated guess.

I don't know how VA LE works in matching up DNA samples they get in their files with cases that need matching. I don't know if when DNA from MH's case was put into the files, if it was run against everything else there, and only got a match with the Fairfax case or if other matches that have not been announced also occurred. My guess is that now that LE has JM in custody and can do a direct easily admissable DNA swab on him, they have done so and are running that profile against all they have, and hopefully sharing this with out of state and national archives. We'll hear in time is what I think if matches occurred.

From what I have read, LE sat on that link betw the Fairfax rape and MH, something that upset MH's family. The info was not released as soon as LE knew.

I don't know where exactly to post this, so I'll do it here and also in the Search #2 thread.

There's been some discussion on if JM had/has any connection with Fairfax- I guess b/c people want to be able to place him there vis a vis the Fairfax rape case (?) Well, I'm of the mindset that JM has already been pegged for being forensically attached to that event, so I'm not entirely sure why it matters all that much to try to place him there ourselves, or to find a definitive broad connection to Fairfax. However, I did a little sleuthing, and I've come upon (yes, a stretch perhaps... but perhaps not) an instagram account of someone who I believe may be related to him. I don't think I can name names, but this individual has JM's grandmother's last name of Carr, and he's in JM's listed f/b friends. In any case, one of his instagram "followers" is FairfaxKia (as in the car dealership), and FairfaxCycle (as in a bike store).

So, I don't know. Seems like there could be a legitimate JM connection to Fairfax there if he hung out around a family member. Have not done research yet to see if that family member actually lived in Fairfax though. Sorry I don't think I can post a link b/c it's a personal page with photos.

I don't know how much more than a direct DNA match from the swab of a person as taken recently from JM and professional rape kit DNA taken from the victim immediately after a very clear rape crime, it would take to convict the person who matches. If JM could clearly and without doubt prove he was not in Fairfax that day at all, I think the DNA link would not do it and LE would have some problems. So, it's not so much coming up with a Fairfax link for him, as proving he was there that day, that time. Especially since the victim is not in this country and is of a culture that will not treat her kindly most likely, if this all came out She may refuse to testify, refuse to be identified. I don't know what LE could do if that happens. I don't think DNA match alone, even as strong as this match could be, would be enough for a DA to want to push such a case. He would have to place JM there 9 years ago. JM doesn't have to prove a thing. And if the victim won't come there...I really don't know how weak or strong that case would be.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/dna-links-abduction-morgan-harrington/story?id=12080850

Human, it would be logical to conclude that conclusive dna was found under her fingernails, imo.. Morgan Harrington, was a fighter.. 'She still is, imo'...

DNA Links Second Abduction-Rape to Morgan Harrington
Nov. 7, 2010

Nov 7, 2010 - Morgan Harrington's parents, Gil and Dan, left and right, and brother, Alex, arrive for a ... Her body was found on a Virginia farm in January. ... knows Harrington would not have succumbed to a killer without putting up a fight.

Family and Friends of Harrington Suspect Foul Play by Local

Family and friends of Harrington have long been convinced that she was a victim of a murderer.

Jenna Testerman, one of Harrington's best friends, said in February that she knows Harrington would not have succumbed to a killer without putting up a fight.

"I really don't know what happened to her," Testerman told ABCNews.com, just days after the search for Harrington came to a grim ending with the discovery of her body. "She wasn't someone who would just wander off."

"But what I do know is that Morgan is a fighter and she would have fought to the death," said Testerman.

Great find, Foxfire. And I tend to agree. Don't know if any scratches were noted on JM's face during the times after that 2005 rape and after MH's disappearance, which is info LE might glean if anyone who knew and saw JM during those times would step forward and talk to LE. He doesn't appear to have much or any facial scratches in that DMV photo taken shortly after Hannah disappeared.

I also don't know how much weight to give best friend testimonials I don't know anyone in those circumstances who would say, "oh, Morgan is not a fighter so she woud have just lain there and let the perp have her way". Morgan clearly was someon who "would just wander off" as she did just that at the arena which is she ended up alone out there. I know what Testerman was saying, but really, would anyone say of a college friend, classmate, that she would have just wandered off and might have gone off with some pick up willingly (which she probably did to some degree before it went wrong)?

As strong as JM was, it wouldn't have taken much to end any fight. Break her neck, strangle her or a very painful blow or twist would have done it He's a big strong guy, a former wrestler, football lineman Might well be very fight in the picture. No idea how her body was so broken, but it was not necessarily due to a fight or the perp doing it, given where it was lying. Getting dragged or roughly handles in transport could have done it

I hope LE has very good DNA evidence from MH's remains, something.

Bass is no pro in PR or any of this. I wouldn't expect a smooth statement. I think he did just fine under those circumstances.

Great find, Foxfire. And I tend to agree. Don't know if any scratches were noted on JM's face during the times after that 2005 rape and after MH's disappearance, which is info LE might glean if anyone who knew and saw JM during those times would step forward and talk to LE. He doesn't appear to have much or any facial scratches in that DMV photo taken shortly after Hannah disappeared.

I also don't know how much weight to give best friend testimonials I don't know anyone in those circumstances who would say, "oh, Morgan is not a fighter so she woud have just lain there and let the perp have her way". Morgan clearly was someon who "would just wander off" as she did just that at the arena which is she ended up alone out there. I know what Testerman was saying, but really, would anyone say of a college friend, classmate, that she would have just wandered off and might have gone off with some pick up willingly (which she probably did to some degree before it went wrong)?

As strong as JM was, it wouldn't have taken much to end any fight. Break her neck, strangle her or a very painful blow or twist would have done it He's a big strong guy, a former wrestler, football lineman Might well be very fight in the picture. No idea how her body was so broken, but it was not necessarily due to a fight or the perp doing it, given where it was lying. Getting dragged or roughly handles in transport could have done it

I hope LE has very good DNA evidence from MH's remains, something.

Morgan and Hannah were both in quite a vulnerable state -- and if we are to include the rape victim tied to evidence from Morgan -- she was too. I think JLM approached all three in a manner that was disarming, that eased whatever red flags may have gone up. He may have offered to carry the Fairfax victim's groceries, for example. I believe he offered to help Hannah home, or find her friends or party or whatever. With Morgan last seen hitchhiking and knowing he was driving his taxi that night I think he picked her up, perhaps even gently chastising her on the dangers of hitchhiking, and quickly learned she was from out of town. I even think he may have told her he'd give her a ride back to Roanoke and Morgan agreed, knowing her parents could afford the fare.

But whatever transpired, he somehow got them to let down their guard. Then his demeanor turned on a dime and he attacked. They were already physically vulnerable and that sudden change would have hindered them further. IMO their minds are now reeling as they try to process what's happening; they've suddenly gone from feeling relief, safe, grateful to fearing for their lives. That hesitation would simply give him more time to incapacitate them. Morgan was petite; Hannah very thin. I'm willing to bet the Fairfax victim was a small woman. JLM could pin together his victims' wrists with one hand and still have a hand free to bind them.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that none of his victims fought back to any extent (including those at LU and CNU).

Morgan and Hannah were both in quite a vulnerable state -- and if we are to include the rape victim tied to evidence from Morgan -- she was too. I think JLM approached all three in a manner that was disarming, that eased whatever red flags may have gone up. He may have offered to carry the Fairfax victim's groceries, for example. I believe he offered to help Hannah home, or find her friends or party or whatever. With Morgan last seen hitchhiking and knowing he was driving his taxi that night I think he picked her up, perhaps even gently chastising her on the dangers of hitchhiking, and quickly learned she was from out of town. I even think he may have told her he'd give her a ride back to Roanoke and Morgan agreed, knowing her parents could afford the fare.

But whatever transpired, he somehow got them to let down their guard. Then his demeanor turned on a dime and he attacked. They were already physically vulnerable and that sudden change would have hindered them further. IMO their minds are now reeling as they try to process what's happening; they've suddenly gone from feeling relief, safe, grateful to fearing for their lives. That hesitation would simply give him more time to incapacitate them. Morgan was petite; Hannah very thin. I'm willing to bet the Fairfax victim was a small woman. JLM could pin together his victims' wrists with one hand and still have a hand free to bind them.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that none of his victims fought back to any extent (including those at LU and CNU).

I don't know about that Fairfax rape victim. A Muslim woman, visiting, walking to a home with groceries. She was hardly going to go anywhere with anyone so close to home. That attacke is very different IMO than the MH and Hannah cases which are more alike. Two girls, intoxicated or whatever,not in good cognitive state, gets into a vehicle with him, feeling safe and then things go bad. The Fairfax situation is something we all fear so much, because there is not much we can do about it. We can avoid going off a lone at night intoxicated. We can refuse rides from strangers, but to be walking in any random place that seems fairly safe that happens to be secluded that moment,and you get attacked? A whole other kind of animal, IMO.

My interest is more with MH and Hannah, and the extreme case of date rape when someone willing to kill is involved, so the Fairfax case is really not something I've even followed. I would have categorized in in a whole other place, but the DNA is linked, so...

Morgan was not petite, though Hannah was thin, she was an athlete. All young, strong women, none fragile from what I gather, but they were most likely caught completely by surprise by the attack, I agree, and they didn't have much chance against him. He's too big and strong. It's a wonder he did not strangle the Fairfax victim or snap her neck. She was very lucky to survive. That is, if JM is indeed the perp, which IMO he likely is.

Quote Originally Posted by MJPeony View Post
There's been a lot of discussion here on whether it was, or was not, DNA that LE was referring to regarding JM's link to MH and the Fairfax rape. I for one, have thought from the moment they said forensic evidence that it was something scientifically "provable", but I just now went and looked up the legal definition of "forensic evidence":

" Forensic evidence is evidence obtained by scientific methods such as ballistics, blood test, and DNA test and used in court. Forensic evidence often helps to establish the guilt or innocence of possible suspects. Analysis of forensic evidence is used in the investigation and prosecution of civil as well as criminal proceedings. Forensic evidence can be used to link crimes that are thought to be related to one another...."

From http://definitions.uslegal.com/f/forensic-evidence/

Seems to me that whatever forensic evidence they have is provable and usable in court to link JM to MH and Fairfax rape. JMO.
<BBM For Focus>

Quoting foxfire,from.another,post on a closed thread
MJPeony, The FBI CODIS DNA database has had the DNA of the suspect in the system since soon after after the 2005 Fairfax rape. The problem is that the suspect's identity still eluded investigators since the suspect had never been arrested or convicted of a crime that required DNA submission. When DNA was discovered during MH's abduction/murder investigation and entered into CODIS, the DNA matched the same suspect, but still no identity.

FBI - Help Us Catch a Killer
Unknown Offender Linked by DNA in Two Separate Cases
http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2012...rington_060412
Suspect on ViCAP poster <Sketch>
A Familiar Face?

We are asking the public to review the sketches and other information in the Morgan Harrington and Fairfax City cases and consider whether they know someone who fits this description or who lived or had ties to the areas around the times of the assaults.

People who know the suspect may not believe he is capable of committing such crimes. He may not have a violent criminal history. Because investigators have DNA evidence that can positively link the suspect to his crimes&#8212;or exclude innocent parties&#8212;the public should not hesitate to provide information.

The Jefferson Area Crime Stoppers is offering a $100,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for Morgan&#8217;s murder. The band Metallica has added an additional $50,000 to that amount.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/biom...dis-fact-sheet

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on the CODIS Program
and the National DNA Index System

Q: What is CODIS?
A: CODIS is the acronym for the &#8220;Combined DNA Index System&#8221; and is the generic term used to describe the FBI&#8217;s program of support for criminal justice DNA databases as well as the software used to run these databases. The National DNA Index System or NDIS is considered one part of CODIS, the national level, containing the DNA profiles contributed by federal, state, and local participating forensic laboratories.
<sniped - read more>

They have DNA,evidence in both Morgan and Fairfax. Hard to get out of that

I don't know about that Fairfax rape victim. A Mubgslim woman, visiting, walking to a home with groceries. She was hardly going to go anywhere with anyone so close to home. That attacke is very different IMO than the MH and Hannah cases which are more alike. Two girls, intoxicated or whatever,not in good cognitive state, gets into a vehicle with him, feeling safe and then things go bad. The Fairfax situation is something we all fear so much, because there is not much we can do about it. We can avoid going off a lone at night intoxicated. We can refuse rides from strangers, but to be walking in any random place that seems fairly safe that happens to be secluded that moment,and you get attacked? A whole other kind of animal, IMO.

My interest is more with MH and Hannah, and the extreme case of date rape when someone willing to kill is involved, so the Fairfax case is really not something I've even followed. I would have categorized in in a whole other place, but the DNA is linked, so...

Morgan was not petite, though Hannah was thin, she was an athlete. All young, strong women, none fragile from what I gather, but they were most likely caught completely by surprise by the attack, I agree, and they didn't have much chance against him. He's too big and strong. It's a wonder he did not strangle the Fairfax victim or snap her neck. She was very lucky to survive. That is, if JM is indeed the perp, which IMO he likely is.

He is a date raper in the same way that Ted Bundy was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove