JLM: Morgan Harrington/Fairfax Rape Victim - *Forensic Link* to MH #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, they do print it too...

"NEW: DNA links Jesse Matthew to death of Virginia Tech student, source says"

It's just that it was confirmed unofficially from an LE source, and like Jamicat said, there are definitely different levels of DNA evidence. I just wanted to provide a link that shows a hardcore mainstream media outlet like CNN has an LE source that says the forensic link is DNA. No snark intended, really just to preserve the link on the forum for later

The problem with that is it is an unidentified source, that might or might not be correct. We do know that Longo said there was a forensic link that provided them with a lead on a murder case. But we also know that the MH homicide was linked to an earlier rape through (presumably) DNA. So, if the forensic link was DNA, why would Longo not have referred to more than one case, since presumably DNA would link to both, not just one.

Otto, apparently Tempo doesn't keep an eye on things...or at least won't admit to it! They won't even admit that Hannah was inside the establishment with JM that night. They say she waited for JM outside - which I think is BULL. Others have placed her inside, but none of the staff there will admit they saw Hannah inside and that is damn shame because someone could probably provide some useful information -but no - they are in COA mode. Damn shame. A young woman is missing and they are tight lipped and denying Hannah was ever inside.

It was my understanding that only one person had placed her inside.

The problem with that is it is an unidentified source, that might or might not be correct. We do know that Longo said there was a forensic link that provided them with a lead on a murder case. But we also know that the MH homicide was linked to an earlier rape through (presumably) DNA. So, if the forensic link was DNA, why would Longo not have referred to more than one case, since presumably DNA would link to both, not just one.

Why I believe it IS DNA:

"Last week, the arrest of Jesse L. Matthew Jr., 32, of Charlottesville, Va., provided a significant break in this case with a new forensic link for state police investigators to pursue. There is a still a great deal of work to be done in regards to this investigation and we appreciate the public’s patience as we move forward," Virginia State Police public relations director Corinne Geller wrote in a statement.

Police would have collected a swab on his arrest.

You aren't being juvenile or being a jerk at all! I was thinking the same thing when I posted that! I'd boycott them in a New York second. They are covering their own rear while poor Hannah is out there somewhere needing to be found! I wish one of the employees would step forward and tell the truth and tell LE anything that they saw even if they think it doesn't help the case!

Ditto. For once, someone needs to be more concerned with someone's life than a liquor license or lawsuit.

Still trying to catch up, do we know if LE has located and processed the vehicle JLM drove when he worked as a cab driver?

Still trying to catch up, do we know if LE has located and processed the vehicle JLM drove when he worked as a cab driver?

There was a video posted out here a few days ago, interviewing the (new?) owner of yellow cab. The owner said back when JLM worked for them, cabbies kept written logs and conceded those could be falsified. He said they now use GPS. JLM left yellow and went to work for a cab company no longer in business. I would like to know if he left after the electronic logging was installed and if the one he moved to used written. I think this was the report where it was confirmed JLM was working his cab the night Morgan went missing.

There would have to be records of the VINs and sales of the cabs, even if to another state. I hope police are looking into this.

There was a video posted out here a few days ago, interviewing the (new?) owner of yellow cab. The owner said back when JLM worked for them, cabbies kept written logs and conceded those could be falsified. He said they now use GPS. JLM left yellow and went to work for a cab company no longer in business. I would like to know if he left after the electronic logging was installed and if the one he moved to used written. I think this was the report where it was confirmed JLM was working his cab the night Morgan went missing.

There would have to be records of the VINs and sales of the cabs, even if to another state. I hope police are looking into this.

I agree. Hopefully the vehicle(s) he drove are still in tact and were not sold to a scrap yard.

Seems like tracking down the VIN and registration history should be simple.

Why I believe it IS DNA:

"Last week, the arrest of Jesse L. Matthew Jr., 32, of Charlottesville, Va., provided a significant break in this case with a new forensic link for state police investigators to pursue. There is a still a great deal of work to be done in regards to this investigation and we appreciate the public’s patience as we move forward," Virginia State Police public relations director Corinne Geller wrote in a statement.

Police would have collected a swab on his arrest.

Sources have said that they had gotten unofficial word that the forensic evidence does include DNA results. But there is a wide arrange of what that could mean. Also, that's awfully early from the arrest swab. Doesn't it usually take longer than that?

Sources have said that they had gotten unofficial word that the forensic evidence does include DNA results. But there is a wide arrange of what that could mean. Also, that's awfully early from the arrest swab. Doesn't it usually take longer than that?

Maybe that's why LE isn't confirming the forensics are a DNA match? I just don't understand why those results would be kept hush-hush if it was a definite match.

Maybe that's why LE isn't confirming the forensics are a DNA match? I just don't understand why those results would be kept hush-hush if it was a definite match.

i think that if they say they have a dna match jlm and his lawyer know there is no escaping that and they will clam shut even further than they are now. i'm pretty sure that it's 100% a match and LE knows it, but they don't want to seem too definitive in hopes of jlm talking or eventually confessing.

i think that if they say they have a dna match jlm and his lawyer know there is no escaping that and they will clam shut even further than they are now. i'm pretty sure that it's 100% a match and LE knows it, but they don't want to seem too definitive in hopes of jlm talking or eventually confessing.

But if they're a match, he has no place to run, and no place to hide. IMO, he'd have more reason to talk if they said they had definitive proof.

I would love to sound juvenile and a jerk, but I don't think it's in me anymore.

Boycotting bar/restaurant places like Tempo would be a good idea. What we know so far is that Hannah was in Tempo with her murderer, Jesse Matthew. It is known that although she was illegally in the bar, and she was seen in the bar and incapacitated outside of the bar, the management and servers of the Tempo Restaurant and Bar in Charlottesville Virginia have denied that Hannah was taken advantage of in Tempo. They appear to be not the least bit concerned about the welfare of drunk, under-aged women that appeared drugged after spending time in Tempo ... and are found murdered after leaving Tempo with a "jovial" regular like Jesse Matthew. At least the owner admitted that he was familiar with Jesse Matthew at Tempo, weird that he was recognized (although not when he made the purchase for alcohol for HannaH) ... weird that no one in the building noticed what happened to Hannah. Weird that on one notice the jovial regular Jesse Matthew walk out of the bar with a victim.

I hope that they have nightmares.

We don't KNOW who is lying, telling the truth, mistaken in Tempo. They may not remember for sure. I worked checking IDs at one time, and, no, I could not swear most of the time who went in, who did not , though I might remember seeing someone in the area. Especially on busy nights The checker at the door has said outright that she does not remember JM returning a second time even though people inside have said he did return and buy/pay for something and they have the charges on record. Instead of corroborating the story from inside, the checker has said she can't say she saw JM come back in--that she remembered him from earlier but not at the time of his return. Why not believe her? It's not a neat, wrapped package there Girl also says she remembers seeing Hannah, but not going inside, but outside where a lot of people were mulling. Adds detail to what she saw, that Hannah was having trouble standing, walking.

What to do if you own/manage a bar, and your employees all say they did not see Hannah in there, but a patron seems to remember seeing her? I can't imagine a bar trying to coerce employees to lie about this as the consequences would be very harsh. I also can't see a bunch of people all agreeing to lie about something so critical. So I am inclined to believe the various reports from the place. I also think it is possible that there is a side entrance--maybe someone from Charlottesville can check out Tempo and see if there is such an entry way where she could have waited, or maybe gone to the restroom without going into the main part of the bar.

It's pretty much a given that JM went in there, paid for something, maybe got something, two beers are what are mentioned, should not have been to go, but he might have walked out with them. Gone out and given one to Hannah, drunk one himself. As I've mentioned, after her walks and running, plus from drinking earlier, she'd welcome a cold drink.

She could have also been in there, yes. But what difference would that make? She was in that area and was with JM, which are the only salient points of all of this. She was there, she was with JM, she was not in great shape, they left together, JM paid for something at the bar. The big concern is where they went from there, and where she is now and what happened in the time period in between. If LE has little evidence of what happened during that time period and JM can spin a tale that is entirely possible, I see a true uphill fight for the DA in court. JM is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, and there has to be that presumption when looking at what might have happened. If there is are reasonable possibilities, they have to be considered.

I hypothesize that the DNA match to Morgan Harrington's case came from DNA in the car or the house, but that JLM's swab sample has not yet been processed fully. So, they know that they have a link between the two cases, but they can't yet definitively say that JLM is that link.

I really don't expect police to confirm much of anything. They will tell us when they find Hannah, but beyond that we're going to hear little until the trial.

I hypothesize that the DNA match to Morgan Harrington's case came from DNA in the car or the house, but that JLM's swab sample has not yet been processed fully. So, they know that they have a link between the two cases, but they can't yet definitively say that JLM is that link.

I get the same feeling. It takes longer, even with a rush to get DNA matches than that report of forensic evidence found came out after they had JM in custody to take the swab. I would think he'd get charged with the 2005 rape case and the MH case if there was a direct DNA match from him to the samples on file. That has not happened. They do not have a strong case against JM for Hannah's disappearance. If the story is given that he took her in his car and she asked, insisted on being let out 10 minutes later, unless there is something showing that she was "defiled" or harmed, in that car or apt, the heavy duty charges are not going to hold up. It is entirely possible that happened, though every hair on my arm goes up thinking about that--unbelievalbe, but that isn't how it works in court. It just has to be possible, and it is.

The stronger cases may well end up being the earlier ones, not Hannah Graham's disappearance.

But if they're a match, he has no place to run, and no place to hide. IMO, he'd have more reason to talk if they said they had definitive proof.

He is in jail right now, which IMO is the safest place for him, his family, his friends, and the rest of the world. Bear in mind that he is jail with charges regarding his reckless driving, the Assault with intent to defile charge regarding Hannah, and additional charges from Texas. The charge regarding Hannah is going to be tough to prove in a court of law where innocence has to be presumed unless LE has some solid evidence. They might, but they haven't shared it with us. And they have not filed charges for the earlier cases yet, which leads me to believe that do not yet have definite DNA matches from swabs direct from JM's person yet.

I think he is sitting tight in hopes that Hannah's body is not found. Unless the match is strong enough in the early cases that charges can be brought against him for them, he might well end up going free for lack of evidence. Not really go free, as I'm sure LE will hit him for the max on whatever charges they can, but it is possible they can't nail him for the more serious charges. All depends on DNA at this point and what kind of DNA.

He is in jail right now, which IMO is the safest place for him, his family, his friends, and the rest of the world. Bear in mind that he is jail with charges regarding his reckless driving, the Assault with intent to defile charge regarding Hannah, and additional charges from Texas. The charge regarding Hannah is going to be tough to prove in a court of law where innocence has to be presumed unless LE has some solid evidence. They might, but they haven't shared it with us. And they have not filed charges for the earlier cases yet, which leads me to believe that do not yet have definite DNA matches from swabs direct from JM's person yet.

I think he is sitting tight in hopes that Hannah's body is not found. Unless the match is strong enough in the early cases that charges can be brought against him for them, he might well end up going free for lack of evidence. Not really go free, as I'm sure LE will hit him for the max on whatever charges they can, but it is possible they can't nail him for the more serious charges. All depends on DNA at this point and what kind of DNA.

The question is, why haven't they filed charges in MH's case yet? Going under the assumption that the DNA results are back, could there be a strategic reason for waiting? If the DNA results haven't been fully examined yet, will we be hearing about other charges in the next few days? I guess with DNA it depends on how backed up the labs are, or perhaps what kind of tests they are doing but I am surprised it is taking this long if that is the case. I have a friend who was the victim of a stranger rape, and they came back with the DNA results within a week at most, linking it to someone. Anyone with more experience in this, please fill me in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member