JLM: Morgan Harrington/Fairfax Rape Victim - *Forensic Link* to MH #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched an episode of Paula Zahn's true crime show. They had a DNA on a cold case, to someone who had never entered their investigation in any way. But that was not enough, they had to go on to investigate who he was, where he had been at the time of the murder, find a link, etc...so DNA alone is not enough to make an entire case, at least not always.

You know how there are so many cases where we say that LE knows who did it, but they do not have enough for a conviction? IMO, "enough" is different for every case. I think in some cases, you would need a lot more evidence for a conviction than others. So I wouldn't be surprised if LE doesn't have the world's strongest case, but figures if the chance of acquittal is extremely low, and the chance of recidivism is high, might as well go for the trial.

The question is, why haven't they filed charges in MH's case yet? Going under the assumption that the DNA results are back, could there be a strategic reason for waiting? If the DNA results haven't been fully examined yet, will we be hearing about other charges in the next few days? I guess with DNA it depends on how backed up the labs are, or perhaps what kind of tests they are doing but I am surprised it is taking this long if that is the case. I have a friend who was the victim of a stranger rape, and they came back with the DNA results within a week at most, linking it to someone. Anyone with more experience in this, please fill me in.

I have wondered the same thing. I think if they had the evidence to press chargers, they would do it. Especially since Hannah could be alive still, if he was charged they could start issuing some sort of plea bargain to get him to give them more information. Just any room for negotiation at this point because it seems to be quite evident he isn't saying a word to assist the police and knows something.

my other thought is - I also thought that DNA evidence could be processed fairly quickly. However, I have heard cases where they will match DNA on only a few of the alleles - meaning the person is related to the perpetrator. They haven't said much more about his family other then the dad and the mom - does he have any siblings? cousins? Just a thought - but I wonder if JM was an accessory and the perp is related to him.

The question is, why haven't they filed charges in MH's case yet? Going under the assumption that the DNA results are back, could there be a strategic reason for waiting? If the DNA results haven't been fully examined yet, will we be hearing about other charges in the next few days? I guess with DNA it depends on how backed up the labs are, or perhaps what kind of tests they are doing but I am surprised it is taking this long if that is the case. I have a friend who was the victim of a stranger rape, and they came back with the DNA results within a week at most, linking it to someone. Anyone with more experience in this, please fill me in.

He's not going anywhere. The police and the CA are going to take their time and build as air-tight a case as they can. It was reported that JLM was driving a cab the night Morgan disappeared, so I'd like to know if the police have been successful in locating the records and even the cab he was driving.

Does anyone know if cab companies are required by law to maintain their records for a certain length of time?

Why do people keep doubting that LE made a DNA match? :gaah:

In Jenise Wright's case GG was swabbed on Friday, August 8th. On Saturday, August 9th the WA state crime lab linked his DNA to the crime. One day!!! Yes, it was moved up as a priority, but so would have JM's. He was wanted on a federal fugitive from justice warrant. LE suspected that he could be a serial killer. They would have swabbed him as SOP when he was processed in Texas. LE probably knew Saturday he was a match, sat on it Sunday and then announced the "forensic evidence" connecting him to MH on Monday. I thoroughly expected to see that and even posted as much somewhere in these threads.

It's quite clear LE is not going to tell us much in this case. They only release information when they need help from the public or are strategizing with the defense. JM isn't talking. The less he and his defense team know at this point in time, the less time it gives them to build their defense. It's not rocket science.

ETA. . .they have not filed charges yet because the do not have a complete case against him. Will the DNA match be enough on it's own? That might be a really slim case file. LE's best possible case right now is to find Hannah. If they can find her, they already have a case file that puts JM with her at the time of her disappearance, as well as any evidence taken from his car and apartment. If they can find Hannah soon, they can charge him and ask for the DP. I believe that's what they want. If they don't find Hannah soon. . .well then we'll see what they come up with.

I really don't expect police to confirm much of anything. They will tell us when they find Hannah, but beyond that we're going to hear little until the trial.

If things don't go the way they expect, will we know prior to December?

If things don't go the way they expect, will we know prior to December?

I sure hope so. Snow comes earlier to Charlottesville than much of central and eastern Virginia.

The Blue Ridge mountains and the location of the James River stop much of it getting through to Richmond but its not unusual for Charlottesville to get a foot more snow than we do every year.

I sure hope so. Snow comes earlier to Charlottesville than much of central and eastern Virginia.

The Blue Ridge mountains and the location of the James River stop much of it getting through to Richmond but its not unusual for Charlottesville to get a foot more snow than we do every year.
I've always thought this might play into the timing as to when these killers act. The subsequent searches are so much more difficult in the late months of the year.

I bet LE have been reexamining all the photos and videos from the concert area in an attempt to spot JLM.

We've heard many time that serial killers usually put way more miles on their cars than normal drivers. I assume it's the hunting for prey that largely contributes. In some cases, just trying to keep the crimes away from home. I think it would be wise to look for similar crimes in the various college towns within a few hours drive.

I doubt LE would want to publicly contradict the parents if they had formed opinions from info they may have heard or seen, which could be why the autopsy report and cause of death (if known) was never released. But it will have to come out in court. I too think being run over by accident is possible, sometime after death, but jmo. Any number of things could have happened during those three or so months.

Yes! I agree 100%. Don't publicly flog me....but I believe (Correct me if I am wrong) Gil has stated that Morgan was raped and while she very well may have been given the history of the POI, I am not sure how she came to that conclusion when she has also stated that all that was left was bones. I feel for her and can't even begin to imagine what she is going through, but I am not sure that what she has said publicly (broken bones due to being brutally beaten, etc) isn't just a matter of forming an opinion based on the autopsy results. JMO of course.

ETA: "Harrington was ultimately reunited with her beautiful, young 20-year-old daughter, 101 days after she vanished. Gil says Morgan was raped and beaten. Her remains were discovered on a farm in Albemarle County."
http://www.nbc12.com/story/26657776/morgan-harringtons-mother-speaks-on-link-to-daughters-homicide

Yes! I agree 100%. Don't publicly flog me....but I believe (Correct me if I am wrong) Gil has stated that Morgan was raped and while she very well may have been given the history of the POI, I am not sure how she came to that conclusion when she has also stated that all that was left was bones. I feel for her and can't even begin to imagine what she is going through, but I am not sure that what she has said publicly (broken bones due to being brutally beaten, etc) isn't just a matter of forming an opinion based on the autopsy results. JMO of course.

ETA: "Harrington was ultimately reunited with her beautiful, young 20-year-old daughter, 101 days after she vanished. Gil says Morgan was raped and beaten. Her remains were discovered on a farm in Albemarle County."
http://www.nbc12.com/story/26657776/morgan-harringtons-mother-speaks-on-link-to-daughters-homicide

I agree. I often wondered how she came to this conclusion too.

It may be that his semen was found on her underwear, or someting similar.

I just watched an episode of Paula Zahn's true crime show. They had a DNA on a cold case, to someone who had never entered their investigation in any way. But that was not enough, they had to go on to investigate who he was, where he had been at the time of the murder, find a link, etc...so DNA alone is not enough to make an entire case, at least not always.

I think in this case, there is a lot to link JM to Hannah. The right DNA evidence could nail JM's coffin shut.
In the case of MH, the situation might be like the one you mention. Not much evidence put together yet to link MH and JM. Though certain DNA is strong evidence, it is possilbe what they have is not enough without other connection to make a tight case.

I just had a thought reading the Search thread....

It's been pondered about this "Forensic Evidence" linking JM to Morgan's disappearance. Could this evidence possibly be his fingerprints on her cell phone found in the overflow lot?

This would account for the expeditious link upon his arrest. This is assuming that his prints weren't already on file.

Wasn't there forensic evidence found on her body?

Mother said she was raped. There had to be a reason they knew that

Wasn't there forensic evidence found on her body?

Mother said she was raped. There had to be a reason they knew that

I've seen it stated that there was DNA found on her but I'm not sure that I've seen LE confirmation of this. My supposition above simply explains the quick link upon his arrest. I agree that it would not hold up in court and that DNA linking him to her physically would be necessary. But as others have pointed out, LE has linked JM to Morgan and not specifically to the Fairfax rape. This could indicate another type of link. Granted we will not know for sure until LE releases further information.

I'm not saying that I necessarily believe that the link is fingerprints, just throwing it out there as a possibility.

I just had a thought reading the Search thread....

It's been pondered about this "Forensic Evidence" linking JM to Morgan's disappearance. Could this evidence possibly be his fingerprints on her cell phone found in the overflow lot?

This would account for the expeditious link upon his arrest. This is assuming that his prints weren't already on file.

several MSM outlets have confirmed that "unnamed" LE sources have said the link is DNA, and no one, named or unnamed, has come out to refute that. IMO you can pretty much take it to the bank that thats what the link is.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/0...ns-in-0-wonders-if-vast-land-holds-next-grim/

Article from a few hours ago. Virginia farmer who found remains of '09 murder victim wonders if next grim discovery awaits

"It takes a long time to see these things in rural places," Bass told FoxNews.com, noting that his farm consists of open fields as well as heavily wooded areas, ravines and a small mountain. "Morgan went missing in October. It took me till January to find her.

Oddly worded? Or am I reading into it?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/0...ns-in-0-wonders-if-vast-land-holds-next-grim/

Article from a few hours ago. Virginia farmer who found remains of '09 murder victim wonders if next grim discovery awaits

"It takes a long time to see these things in rural places," Bass told FoxNews.com, noting that his farm consists of open fields as well as heavily wooded areas, ravines and a small mountain. "Morgan went missing in October. It took me till January to find her.

Oddly worded? Or am I reading into it?

The farmer was completely cleared as a suspect. Regardless, if I understood the articles I read, that was the first place LE took the dogs when they were searching for Hannah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member