JLM: What Do We Know About Him?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
**Snipped**

As investigators seized on Harrington’s case with renewed vigor Monday, search crews planned to comb a wooded area behind the yellow vinyl-sided home on Ponderosa Trail that Matthew once shared with his mother.

It was at least the third trip neighbors remembered authorities making to the winding path off Old Lynchburg Road just south of the Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club.

Search crews who walked his land Saturday with a tracking dog likewise found nothing.
Neighbors said Matthew’s mother moved him to the country to keep him out of trouble. He did not cause any in the several years he lived there, they said.
A staffer at the Trading Post, a convenience store on Monacan Trail Road less than two miles from where Harrington’s remains were found at Anchorage Farm, said patrons had seen Matthew in the store after Graham disappeared. The store’s owner could not confirm whether Matthew had been sighted in the store recently.
The farm was searched after Graham’s disappearance, police have said. The owners of the farm could not be reached for comment Monday.
http://m.dailyprogress.com/news/pol...0e8-484e-11e4-b26d-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm

It does appear that 'something' lead them to believe these cases with Hannah, and MOrgan were related early in the investigation. I wonder if someone called in a tip with the same perp name they had seen before? "Location, location, location" is what the now retired investigator kept saying about where Morgan was found, and that it would be key to finding her killer. He kept saying the perp knew that area, and knew it well. Seems he was right. Panderosa Trail was brought frequently in Morgan's case.

If the girls are telling the truth he has a foot fetish. And maybe a leg fetish. jmo

He continued to follow both these women, at the Blue Light and later at the Tempo restaurant, putting his arm around them, his face uncomfortably close to theirs, touching their backs, their hair, their faces, their legs— until one of them cursed at him to stop. After one of the women slipped off the boots she was wearing, LJ unexpectedly pulled off her socks, saying he wanted to see her toes.

http://insidecville.com/blog/ljs-timeline/

Was it ever said if Morgan's knee high boots were found?

I'm really struggling with all the posts trying to pin this on JM's upbringing. I don't feel like we know enough about his past to judge his family. While it's clear his family loves him and assumes the best about him, whether deserved or not, I personally don't see anything to suggest he was treated like a "special snowflake."

Moreover, I haven't seen anything in my rather broad interactions with humanity that suggests kids who are showered in love grow up to be evil. Quite the opposite, in fact--many of the folks I deem "evil" in my mind were treated like inconveniences as children, often beaten, and repeatedly reassured, by their own parents, that they were nothing special and should get over themselves. They end up thinking the same thing of others and show a broad lack of respect for other human beings. They confuse love with violence, emotional abuse, and shame.

In short, I'm sure JM's family is utterly confounded by this. They seem like decent people doing the best they can, even if their best ultimately failed. I don't see any reason so far to judge them.

In short, I'm sure JM's family is utterly confounded by this. They seem like decent people doing the best they can, even if their best ultimately failed. I don't see any reason so far to judge them.

I'm not sure I've seen where anyone has judged his family here. This thread is for us to try to understand him better. It seems he has a history of unacceptable behavior dating back perhaps as far as 7th grade.

If the thought that his family moved him to the country to keep him out of trouble is true, they gave up an awful lot to try to help this kid and protect others. Read this article someone posted earlier: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/m....html?_r=5&src=me&ref=general&pagewanted=all&

I don't think anyone is blaming or judging his family. I think they did the best they could. Perhaps the blame better falls on the services available to his family and the way incidents were handled (repeatedly) throughout his life. He had a way of talking his way out of things, it seems. So no one red flag became "the" red flag. Just a hormonal kid acting out a little too much. Boys will be boys.

Based upon posts from friends, I have no doubt everyone who knows him is floored by this. But, as with Ted Bundy, that is quite possible. And quite frightening.

Perhaps the blame better falls on the services available to his family and the way incidents were handled (repeatedly) throughout his life. He had a way of talking his way out of things, it seems. So no one red flag became "the" red flag. Just a hormonal kid acting out a little too much. Boys will be boys.

Fair enough--you've hit one of my pet peeves in the "boys will be boys" excuse. (Boys will stop being boys IF YOU PROSECUTE, for crying out loud.)

Ultimately, though, I think this is just one very bad dude, and dudes like this will worm their way right through any cracks in the system.

I'm really struggling with all the posts trying to pin this on JM's upbringing. I don't feel like we know enough about his past to judge his family. While it's clear his family loves him and assumes the best about him, whether deserved or not, I personally don't see anything to suggest he was treated like a "special snowflake."

Moreover, I haven't seen anything in my rather broad interactions with humanity that suggests kids who are showered in love grow up to be evil. Quite the opposite, in fact--many of the folks I deem "evil" in my mind were treated like inconveniences as children, often beaten, and repeatedly reassured, by their own parents, that they were nothing special and should get over themselves. They end up thinking the same thing of others and show a broad lack of respect for other human beings. They confuse love with violence, emotional abuse, and shame.

I agree. Sounded like the grandma (per her interview) loved her grandson. Sometimes sociopathic behavior starts extremely young in children, where they harm family pets etc. Sometimes the biology in somebody is so strong their environment is irrelevant. So far it sounds like his environment was positive, his brain chemistry was not.

More information from Parker Slaybaugh ( reporter) - says Mathew talked to his attorney for 2 1/2 hrs yesterday.
Apparently when he was a student at Christopher Newport, an investigation of some kind led to his leaving abruptly after a few months...

https://www.facebook.com/ParkSlaybaugh?fref=nf

eta - correction

Don't really know which thread to ask this question on...this one seems like the right one. :thinking:

Seems we have a big hole in JM's work history (assuming he was employed?) between the cab position and the UVA hospital job. Now, on another thread, AVIXEN posted some very, very interesting public record info about wage garnishments for JM while he was working at Martha Jefferson House. In what capacity he was working, I have no idea.

However. Given that he was a cab driver prior to this employment...I started thinking...what if he was driving a van for MJ House? All of these assisted living facilities seem to have a van - taking the seniors to their medical appointments, grocery stores, and the like. I looked it up and they have a van.

Now, sometimes in my area I have seen the drivers from these facilities utilizing these vans during the after hours. In other words, not during the typical 9-5 hours that you might see a senior citizen needing transportation to their appointments. I have always thought, hmmm...that's strange...why is that van (and that driver) on the freeway at 9 pm? Maybe they are picking up out-of-town relatives? Or maybe they let the drivers just take the van home? No idea.

I'm thinking that if JM was employed as a van driver for MJ House, after his cab position, and before UVA hospital...he might have been in a NUMBER of places with another vehicle that he might have thought couldn't be "linked" to him. Again, MOO and could be totally off the mark here. But what the frick was this guy doing for employment between 2010ish and 2012?! Why can't we find that out?!

I started thinking...what if he was driving a van for MJ House?

Great thought! I really wish Slaybaugh or Barefoot or one of those locals would check out the MJ House link. (Reporters? Are you reading this?)

His reported behavior seems disinhibited, like that of someone who's had a frontal lobe injury to me. Football can certainly cause injury over time, even without a stand-out major event. I wonder if his behavior changed over time or if he was impulsive/had poor self-control as a child, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo