John Tavolta's son Jett dies at age 16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jbean I had posted my post and it was hanging for some time so i had not seen you post
I don't believe my post contravenes the message ?
I hope not ?

IF this were Joe Smooshe And Mary Smooshe and this was reported in the papers and everything happened so quickly ie death Friday Autopsy Monday Cremated Tuesday and the person belonged to any cult be it scientology or JW's or any other cult type one that dictates what you can and can not do, and there was a cloud over them I guarantee that the people here (and elswehwere) would be picking it to pieces and bring up all types of scenarios

But because its a celeb that we all love people are in protective mode....

I bet if it was Britney Spears people wouldn't be saying half of the things here. I bet she would be ripped to pieces.....

It does seem that there is a bias because of who it is.

Personally I believe that they are devastated parents who would most definitely be churning up inside about decisions that they made or didn't make

LIKE ANY OTHER PARENT.

It is a fact that John T and Family were heavily into Scientology
It is a Fact that Scientology has questionable beliefs and practices
But it is ONLY speculation that one has anything to do with the other or with Jetts Death
Speculation

Now this is a thread about a boy who died at 16 yrs of age - a tragedy in itself. Yes he is a famous persons son and so its going to get media attention and gossip and rumour attached to it

But I think it would be better served discussing the pros and cons of Scientology in another thread.

That way it separates the emotion of this young boys death from the subject
JMO

I totally agree with everything you've stated here. For one thing, the Travolta family is very well respected and I believe it should stay that way. This is just a complete tragedy no matter what way you look at it.

Personally I believe that they are devastated parents who would most definitely be churning up inside about decisions that they made or didn't make

LIKE ANY OTHER PARENT.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Any parent would be sitting back and questioning..what if? What if I didn't have to go to the store than the drunk driver wouldn't have hit us? What if because I had that xray that I caused her cancer? Or what if , what if...I am soooo sure you are absolutely correct. We all have things happen and we all, as parents, have made mistakes that "could have had" devastating results. I agree, 100%. And I'm just as sure they may be evaluating what if we had him back on the medication maybe this wouldn't have happened? However, I'm a strong believer in God has his purpose for everything. They certainly did not recklessly cause the death of their son and because they made a choice to no longer have him medication...doesn't mean that was the cause of his demise. Fact is, maybe they were enabled 3 or 4 more years with him as had they continued him on the meds something else could have happened. It is a tragedy that no family should ever have to endure...and unfortunately, many do....and everyday. I don't know about the majority of folks here...but I'm going to guess that a lot of people who post here are because of their caring nature and due to wanting to help others in whatever way they can....thus, even if this were Joe Schmoo's son....I would be mourning in the same way. It just hits too close to home. As I'm sure others here with children can understand, as well.

You know what? The more I think about it. This is really unfair. Jett is their child and a minor. What right did the authorities/media have to release ANY information to the public about his autopsy/medical information? It is nobody's business but his parents. I don't know why this did not dawn on me....however, there are many times in the newspaper that someone passes at home by "unknown; coroner investigating" and they certainly do not follow up and then state the cause for the public. Why should this have been any different? So if people think this got attention because of their fame....how worth it is fame anyhow? I know one thing for sure. I hope my children and family to NEVER be in any media spotlight. Ever. How much this truly compounds their grief. We should all pray for them. That's the right thing to do. I know a lot of us have. Keep praying.
Hugs.

I totally agree with everything you've stated here. For one thing, the Travolta family is very well respected and I believe it should stay that way. This is just a complete tragedy no matter what way you look at it.

I am in 100% agreement as well.

I agree. there was a point in my son's care where I had to choose between some very nasty drugs and possible seizures. I chose seizures for 15 years. They have come a long way with anti-convulsants, but unfortunately all drugs do not work the same, if at all, on all patients. It is a very tough road.
Fortunately Lamictal, which is one of the best drugs around, works well for my son, but I know people right on this board that it does not work on at all.

Lamictal is a great new drug, ITA! It is saving lives and not just the lives of people with seizure disorders as you are well aware! :)

I have been choosing to keep my mouth shut on this issue because my brother is a member of the "Church of Scientology" (as the long term posters here are aware), the issues discussed just get me too riled up and I'm bound to get myself banned. I do a well enough job of that in threads related to mental illness. But I do want to say this- these people (followers of LRH), as mis-guided and neglectful as they may seem to be to outsiders, honestly believe what they are taught within this organization. They honestly believe they are doing right by their family, their society, in helping to make the world a better place for the future generations.

My brother was madly in love with his wife, they had a 3 month old baby- he would have done anything in his power to help her get well from cancer but when Scientology told them absolutely no cancer treatment, they were both in agreement on how to move forward, no cancer treatment.

Anyway- I don't know.

Kawasaki disease is totally seperate from Jett having grand mal seizures. Jett was on medication and it did not help. It caused him more harm, than good. Please educate yourself as Christian Scientology DO allow prescribed medications. Jett was in the utmost care of two nannies, a baby monitor and around parents nearly at all time. Please do not judge. This family is grieving. And yes...epilepsy can be life threatning. I am the parent coordinator for parents of children with seizure disorders and have been for over 18 years. I cannot tell you how many children and young adults have died from situations that they have been in due to a seizure...at the same time, I know of two who died during the seizure due to status epileptus. Fact is, my own son encountered status epileptus twice in which he was induced into a brain coma to stop his brain from seizing.

Just to clarify- "Christian Scientology" is a non-entity. If you are thinking of Christian Science, it is not the same thing as Scientology.

Lamictal is a great new drug, ITA! It is saving lives and not just the lives of people with seizure disorders as you are well aware! :)

I have been choosing to keep my mouth shut on this issue because my brother is a member of the "Church of Scientology" (as the long term posters here are aware), the issues discussed just get me too riled up and I'm bound to get myself banned. I do a well enough job of that in threads related to mental illness. But I do want to say this- these people (followers of LRH), as mis-guided and neglectful as they may seem to be to outsiders, honestly believe what they are taught within this organization. They honestly believe they are doing right by their family, their society, in helping to make the world a better place for the future generations.

My brother was madly in love with his wife, they had a 3 month old baby- he would have done anything in his power to help her get well from cancer but when Scientology told them absolutely no cancer treatment, they were both in agreement on how to move forward, no cancer treatment.

Anyway- I don't know.

Bold Mine

:( Im so sorry..

NO CANCER TREATMENT really ? omg....

My Mother died of Cancer. Due to other complications and her age 71 they could not give her chemo/radio etc or operate.
She just had to die with painrelief in the most horrific way...
My SIL has the same cancer she has Chemo shes been going 4 years with it now..
She's alive, not sure how much of a life she has though..But she is alive and there are always new treatments and cures developing for things ....

Thats the hope....

Im sorry about your Bro and SIL :(

Anyway- I don't know.
Lamictal is the best drug around and those that can use it with results are extremely lucky.

Don't get riled up OLG. there is nothing to indicate that this boy did not get the best of care. Treating a chronic illness that is not necessarily life threatening is certainly open to different methodology and it is definitely not a one size fits all situation.
Sure with hindsight being 20-20 and all it is easy for all of us to say what WE would have done. but there is not a person on this board that has the intimate details about his problems or how they were managed.
I would challenge anyone here to tell me from a distance with no inside knowledge of my son's condition how I should have treated him. Sorry, I did my own research, interviewed different doctors and followed my own mind and instinct as to what his care would be as a youngster. Many doctors were opposed to my care plan and guess what? they were all wrong :)

Just to clarify- "Christian Scientology" is a non-entity. If you are thinking of Christian Science, it is not the same thing as Scientology.

Yes, I was aware of the difference. Thanks for clarifying how I wrote that. :)

Lamictal is the best drug around and those that can use it with results are extremely lucky.

Don't get riled up OLG. there is nothing to indicate that this boy did not get the best of care. Treating a chronic illness that is not necessarily life threatening is certainly open to different methodology and it is definitely not a one size fits all situation.
Sure with hindsight being 20-20 and all it is easy for all of us to say what WE would have done. but there is not a person on this board that has the intimate details about his problems or how they were managed.
I would challenge anyone here to tell me from a distance with no inside knowledge of my son's condition how I should have treated him. Sorry, I did my own research, interviewed different doctors and followed my own mind and instinct as to what his care would be as a youngster. Many doctors were opposed to my care plan and guess what? they were all wrong :)

You are absolutely correct and I agree, 100%. Fact is, just the Lamictal experience that you've had and what I've had with my son in law is night and day. What works for one doesn't for another. One thing for sure...thank God that there are options and that science is where it is today....because 50 years ago many of our children would not have the lives they have today because of it.

Lamictal and Keppra is the combo my son is on, life saving drugs. I'm so thankful Sam was treated when new improved drugs have been available. Intially he was treated with phenobarb, a freaking nightmare. His at the time nuero told us we had no choice, thank goodness for the epilepsy foundation who sent us to doctors that were up to speed. Epilepsy sucks.

Sorry, I did my own research, interviewed different doctors and followed my own mind and instinct as to what his care would be as a youngster. Many doctors were opposed to my care plan and guess what? they were all wrong :)

Never a truer word spoken

I had the SAME issue with my son in regards to some problems he has a baby. Nothing major but the Dr's had NO CLUE
But
TRUST a Mothers Instinct....

Even the chemists say in so many cases a mothers instinct is right on cue

You take all the evidence, all the info, all the research and make the best decision that you can at the time...

I don't want to go into a whole long thing but you are right. My daughter would be dead if I hadn't got all rowdy and challenged them. They walk the line now and she is alive. She has the best care on earth but it is a lot of hard work from everyone. They know I research everything and I am authorized to do so. I even came up with a few options over time which they agreed with.

The Travolta's didn't have the option as Jett's death was not in their hands, period. It was a complete tragedy that they will never get over but the happen stance of this is regular in so many of our lives. None of us can prepare for everything and anything, it is just not possible. But, we try. They tried too, it didn't work. My heart breaks for them.

Personally I cannot think of ANY situation where a "What If" will not apply.

I wish I could believe in "God has a purpose". That is another issue entirely.

Reconciling the "What If" and "God has a purpose" poses problems for me. Subject for another thread.

"Trust a Mother's Instinct" is probably written up in the medical journals.

I know- :) My point really is that as adults we make the best decisons we can for our children and sometimes that includes keeping them off of medications that may cause more extreme issues with their body.

I know- :) My point really is that as adults we make the best decisons we can for our children and sometimes that includes keeping them off of medications that may cause more extreme issues with their body.

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

A couple of good quotes that caught my attention.

And you know that because.....?? I see a family with lots of money, who has a child die in questionable circumstances, yet goes to the trouble to have an autopsy.....and yet, they choose to have it done in the Bahamas and cremate his remains before any reputable ME might take a look....give me a break.

Free choice is one thing, but endagering a child's life due to religious beliefs is not a perogative. Burying a child in the Catholic Church has nothing to do with this, this is about a so-called Church which advances so-called scientific practises which have no basis in science and the people who practice this so-called religion are brainwashed into believing this nonsense. Scientology does not believe in free choice...it's their way or the highway, but if you have an ample bank balance they'll do whatever it takes to keep you in the fold. Do you think Nicole Kidman's free choice is to not see her adopted children?

Have you heard of Operation Freakout or Operation Snow White? Go to youtube and find out what Paulette Cooper and Scott Mayer had to say during the Clearwater hearings.

Listen, I am NOT a fan of scientology. I am very well aware of nonsense espoused by this organization as well as some of the harm it has caused to its members. Hubbard was a fraud, IMO. BUT, we DO know that the Travoltas did not deny treatment for their son's seizures, for three reasons. One, scientology does not deny medical treatment to its members, with the exception of psychiatric medications which many other people are against for several other reasons. Seizure treatment and medications do not fall under psychiatric treatment or medications, so their beliefs would not preclude treatment for this neurologial problem. Two, there have been several reports that the Travoltas DID treat their son for seizures with proper medical care and adminstered medication for those seizures until the cure became worse than the disease. Three, while I am certain that the child had autism (I am VERY familiar with autism for several reasons and Jett's toe walking, the video and photo I have seen of hand flapping and other stims, the reports that he is non-verbal, the fact that his uncle did a documentary on autism - which the Travoltas failed to attend - and his demanor in the video I saw, all evidence severe to moderate autism, nothwithstanding the photos I have seen of Jett making eye contact. A few moments of good eye contact when directed or interested occurs with some people with severe to moderate autism), and I know seizures are related to autism in a significant proportion of those with the disorder, lack of acceptance of autism does not mean lack of acceptance of seizures or the willingness to treat those.
On another note, even if scientology does not accept autism as existing and even if the Travoltas failed to accept such a diagnosis, it does not mean that they actually failed to treat his autism. They may have tried to attribute his developmental problems as stemming from Kawasaki syndrome, but call it what they will, they appear to have used some of the very same treatments on Jett for his "Kawasaki's disease" that are considered cutting edge treatments for autism by autism activists that believe vaccinations are to blame, in part and that kids with autism suffer severe immune problems as a result. I read this in interviews with the mother, a while ago.
Further, many celebrity scientologists reportedly pratice a watered down version and it is very possible that the Travoltas did treat their son's autism, if he did have it, in standard ways, while labeling it something else.
The fact is, while scientology can be dangerous in many ways, I see absolutely no connection between Jett's death and negligence on the part of the Travoltas due to a belief in scientology. Again, scientology is NOT against standard medical treatment for seizures. They seem to have taken amazing precautions to ensure their child's safety such as door alarms, monitors, fulltime caregivers, etc.
Finally, while the debate about scientology is a good one and important, especially due to some of their practices and beliefs which I believe are dangerous, I don't think it should play a part in the discussion about Jett's death as there is absolutely nothing to connect the two. There is NO evidence that, via neglect or other means, this family contributed to their son's death. Frankly, I find it disgusting, given the total lack of any evidence of a connection between their beliefs and their child's death, that anyone is accusing them of such. Their kid just died. It seems clear they loved him irrevocably. They must be in hell right now and second guessing everything they did or did not do. I feel so sad for them that anyone would contribute to their feelings of sorrow and vulnerability at this time.
P.S., Kidman states she has joint custody of her kids and does have them with her often but that they live primarily with their dad because they like California. Australia and Tennessee can be boring to children in comparison with L.A./Hollywood. Not everything that happens in families that practice scientology can be linked to their beliefs.

A couple of good quotes that caught my attention.

lol they catch my attention every day! Some days I'm more a collection of flaws than a human being. :) but hell, my child still alive so..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocky.marie
Back