KatieCoolady Holds 'Court' - The Dedicated KCL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am off to "little India" a well kept secret here in Southern California, about a 10-15 minute drive from my house. It is a quaint little old main street type of place stuck in the middle of a busy, modern shopping district. It boasts the largest Indian population outside of New York, and most locals don't even know of its existence.

They have the most amazing shops full of Indian silks (literally the finest silk in the world), hand carved objects and jewelry; restaurants with the finest- authentic- Indian cuisine. Markets that put "Whole Foods" to shame with their produce, spices, and baked goods- especially the prices. I buy the most amazing boxed spice combinations, fresh ginger, garlic, cilantro and Mango's. Yum!

I am taking our exchange student from Thailand there (finally) because they have the coolest 'Bollywood' video and music shop. I am going to purchase my umpteenth copy of a film entitled "Guzaarish", meaning "The request" for $5 to send to my father-in-law as he recoups from ankle surgery.

If you have never seen a genuine Bollywood film- you don't know what you are missing, and this is one of the best. They have very deep, yet humorous plots and the set design, costumes, and cinematography is/are some of the most beautiful in the world. They are PG and family friendly too (which is a big plus when you have little kids and still want to see a great film). If anyone is interested I can recommend more films or PM me to pick you up and ship you a copy at a later date! I try to make a trip there at least once a month.

Have a blessed day fellow sleuthers~ Frigga

Have you watched 'Monsoon Wedding'? It's one of my favorite Bollywood.
Also of course Slumdog Millionaire...

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is also a other "Indian type" movie.

Katydid23, I didn't even know anything about it til a couple of years ago, and I have lived here almost all my life!

It is essentially Artesia- a small strip off the 605 or 91 freeway(s) on Pioneer Blvd. I will post a link and map!

http://eat-la.com/good-food-neighborhoods/artesia/

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=little+india&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x80dd2d09ef076265:0x3fb524c56d73cf46,Little+India,+Artesia,+CA&gl=us&ei=BjytUYyFJ6HQiwLI9YC4Dw&sqi=2&ved=0CHsQtgM

I have alot more information and would be happy to share! Most of the shops are closed on Mondays (I completely forgot) but I love it there.

I have never seen either! I will have to get them. My favorite films so far are:

Guzaarish, (The Request) an amazing film set in India but with a Spanish flair in costumes and setting. The film is about euthanasia, a heavy topic but a beautiful story.

Lagaan, (Tax) a story about taxes, British rule, and the resilient spirits of the natives.

My Name Is Khan, which is basically the Indian version of Forest Gump, in my opinion. Funny, heartwarming and touching- a love story between an Autistic man and a typical, beautiful, woman.

I have many more but these are some of my favorites!

Katiecoo, I am sending you all three along with some of my favorite spice mixes and recipes from little India, I just need to know one thing- what is the design style of the Sedona house going to be? Colors, textures, look etc? TIA

Love Bollywood movies!

Anybody watch Dr. Drew? Tara and Diane made some interesting comments when shown the tape of Mr. Arias being interviewed by Det Flores as did DD's co-host and guest panelists -- his lack of emotion (didn't seem shocked) compared to Sandy Arias who showed emotion (crying) and seemed shocked.

FYI - I can't release a balloon tomorrow as I will be traveling so I changed my avatar in memory of Travis Alexander. Blessings to his family, friends, colleagues and of course, dear Napolean.

Love Bollywood movies!

Anybody watch Dr. Drew? Tara and Diane made some interesting comments when shown the tape of Mr. Arias being interviewed by Det Flores as did DD's co-host and guest panelists -- his lack of emotion (didn't seem shocked) compared to Sandy Arias who showed emotion (crying) and seemed shocked.

FYI - I can't release a balloon tomorrow as I will be traveling so I changed my avatar in memory of Travis Alexander. Blessings to his family, friends, colleagues and of course, dear Napolean.

Thanks for the DD report - missed it but will watch the rerun tonight!

Yes, Thanks for the DD report. What else did the jurors have to say about the trial or anything they have seen subsequently?

Love Bollywood movies!

Love the avi, but glad you're not releasing a balloon .. the turtles and seagulls will thank you :)

Juror No. 6 Diane Schwartz and alternate Juror No. 17 Tara Kelley have both made clear that they neither believed Jodi Arias’ story, nor did they ever see her show any kind of remorse in the brutal murder of her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander. And they both agreed that she should have gotten the death penalty.

But on Monday night, Schwartz and Kelley returned to Dr. Drew On Call. They viewed pieces of video pertaining to the Arias case that they had never seen before, including the interrogation tapes where Arias' father was being questioned. Watch their reactions in the video player above.

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/06/03/what-jodi-arias-jurors-never-saw

Monsoon Wedding is one of my favorite movies! I've seen it at least 8 times. Love Slumdog Millionaire too.

Jayarohh- what a lovely, heartfelt post. Thank you so much for sharing. I will say the same to you... you are talented, funny, with a gift for creativity, music and words... keep on sharing with us. Your message is important too!

I feel like everyone here has a message or gift to share. I love reading here and continue to check in, reading and thanking, but not necessarily posting too much.

FaceTheMusic~ Thank you for sharing your granddaughter with us- the love and pride you feel for her shines through in your words. It is so special to me when someone reaches out to share a Down syndrome loved one with me, as it is hard to explain, and I certainly don't like to generalize but they really are of the same 'tribe', so to speak.

I have a 16 year old niece, a darling friend Isobel (the Izzy beverage is named after her), and an adult friend Rafe Day who all share an extra 21st chromosome, and I love all of them dearly! As you said, the love and happiness they exude is quite remarkable, and not to be overlooked.

My son thinks no one has a mean bone in their body and finds good in everyone and everything. He brings a tremendous amount of joy to our family... and everyone he touches, quite frankly! He has taught me what is valuable in a human being... it is not academic achievement, athletic ability, or money making power... it is someones heart.

Our granddaughter takes dance lessons with another friend of hers that has down syndrome and one of their dance teachers went back to school so she could work with children with disabilities. She said it was because of the enjoyment that she got working with those sweet little girls. How touching is that!

Leaving in morning for a mini trip to visit family so just want to add that tomorrow will have thoughts and prayers for Travis and his family. It will be a sad day for all.

Five years tomorrow June 4th since we lost our dear angel Travis Alexander.

RIP Travis and blessings to your family. You are very loved and very missed.

Jane Siberry & KD Lang - Calling All Angels - YouTube

I hadn't realized it 'til the local news just now, but June 4th is also the day Kyron Horman went missing in 2010 :(

I wonder if like the Rainbow Bridge for our pets, there is a bridge for those victims of violent crimes. If Kyron is dead, I like to imagine Travis was there to welcome him home to the Light. And that Cindy was there to welcome Travis. May they and all those taken from us violently truly rest in peace.

Love the Bollywood discussion (Netflix has a lot of Bollywood available on streaming). Another one on a small tangent is a beautiful film called Latcho Drom, a Cannes award-winning documentary told in dance and music, about the journey of the Roma people out of India. Gorgeous! It's a bit hard to find but well worth seeking it out if you have a specialty video store in your area.

Thanks to everyone for all the stories of visits from the other side of the door we call Birth/Death. So heartening. I have a couple experiences along those lines but I've never written about them so it will be awhile before I post them. I have had other experiences with the other side in the form of dreams, or sometimes dreams within dreams - i.e. I once dreamt that I had a dream where I met a deceased uncle of my mother's that in my waking life I never knew about. And in my dream within a dream, the circumstances of his death were exactly how his death actually occurred.

Katie, love your blog! Jayrohh, love yours too! I was howling with laughter so hard my huskies had to chime in! :D

:seeya:

La Louve

Love the avi, but glad you're not releasing a balloon .. the turtles and seagulls will thank you :)

In light of concerns for the environment people are invited to light a candle today at 5:30 wherever they are in the world. I love that idea and packed one in my travel bag.

Also a personal message from Steven Alexander was posted on the FB page:

June 4th will forever be a dark reminder of who has been ripped from our lives. June 4th will always be the day we stop and think this is the day Travis was murdered. You will think about all the horrible pain and suffering he went through. That day will always come.

Read the rest here:

https://www.facebook.com/Justice4Travis?fref=ts

I have never seen either! I will have to get them. My favorite films so far are:

Guzaarish, (The Request) an amazing film set in India but with a Spanish flair in costumes and setting. The film is about euthanasia, a heavy topic but a beautiful story.

Lagaan, (Tax) a story about taxes, British rule, and the resilient spirits of the natives.

My Name Is Khan, which is basically the Indian version of Forest Gump, in my opinion. Funny, heartwarming and touching- a love story between an Autistic man and a typical, beautiful, woman.

I have many more but these are some of my favorites!

Katiecoo, I am sending you all three along with some of my favorite spice mixes and recipes from little India, I just need to know one thing- what is the design style of the Sedona house going to be? Colors, textures, look etc? TIA

Good luck getting this song out of your mind once you have seen the movie..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx6n8MKLo7k

You look far too young to have a great grandson ;)

Aw...KCL, you are too sweet. :)
I started young but life goes by doesn't it? Our time here is short. I am 64 and I look at my great grandson and think how did I ever get old? Guess that question has been asked since the beginning of time. Haha.

I showed my granddaughter a picture of me when I was young and she said "wow, you were pretty. You look different now.". :(. I didn't show any expression as I looked at my picture and said, hmmm, I haven't changed at all. I look the very same now. And I smiled as her little eyes got huge. She wanted to laugh but she didn't. It was pretty funny. She is only nine.

Good luck getting this song out of your mind once you have seen the movie..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx6n8MKLo7k

ZsaZsa- I Zumba to this song several times a week! How funny, I almost posted this yesterday. I had no idea this was from the movie- I definitely want to see it now. My darling mormon friend turned me on to the Bollywood films and also happens to be my Zumba instructor.

I will be thinking of Travis and the Alexanders all day today. For the first time in a long time wishing she would get LWOP and just go away. They have no idea what they are in for with a death penalty verdict. It's in Gods hands now, so I guess we'll see.

Just catching up on this thread..

KCL, congrats on the home in Sedona..what a wonderful, amazing, spiritual, healing place for you and Alfonse! You are a wonderful sister and I know Cindy is smiling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nhommesss