Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My question is what did stines say or do before that.? Or was stines being short or cocky in conversation to cause mullins to say that.

If not mistaken stines was said to be quiet at lunch.
I don't know, of course, but my hunch is Stines was stewing and said something sharp to the judge and the judge responded by asking if they should meet in his chambers, implying the discussion should be private.

Time will tell.

jmo

Many reasons -- the intent here was just find cause to bind the matter over to a Grand Jury for Indictment where we many see revised and/or additional charges against Stines. The Court also does not want to prejudice the jury pool by releasing more than necessary for probable cause. The rest of the decisions moving forward will be made in secret until trial (i.e., secret grand jury). JMO
Or there could have been segments revealing questions that would have hampered binding over.
Get to see the whole truth at trial.

But, wouldn't LE have his daughter's phone now (and undergoing forensic exam with the other phones)? Stamper stated on the stand they didn't have daughter's phone. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the theory of Stines having daughter's phone.
I'm thinking he had accessed it; possibly the cause of his changed demeanor/actions in recent activities, had figured it out but had to confront. Would not have needed her phone, used the judges as he knew what to press.

So the judge and sheriff have lunch together. Been best buddies for years. Both pillars of the community. Apparently, sheriff asked to speak with the judge in his chambers saying he needed to discuss something with him. The two men had a dispute about what? Cell phones were exchanged? That followed with gunshots being heard and the sheriff surrendering without incident.

Why would someone be so willing to give up their freedom so quickly - unless it's personal?

This sounds a lot like rage and very personal. Did sheriff see something that triggered the crime on the judge’s phone? Seeing minor daughter’s phone number on sheriff’s phone and dialing phone number is a red flag.

All jmo

So the judge and sheriff have lunch together. Been best buddies for years. Both pillars of the community. Apparently, sheriff asked to speak with the judge in his chambers saying he needed to discuss something with him. The two men had a dispute about what? Cell phones were exchanged? That followed with gunshots being heard and the sheriff surrendering without incident.

Why would someone be so willing to give up their freedom so quickly - unless it's personal?

This sounds a lot like rage and very personal. Did sheriff see something that triggered the crime on the judge’s phone? Seeing minor daughter’s phone number on sheriff’s phone and dialing phone number is a red flag.

All jmo
I don't think the sheriff asked to speak with the judge privately in his chambers. The judge seems to have offered that space for the conversation. jmo

What good would it do to seize the daughter's phone? They would not be able to get a search warrant on it because she is not suspected of a crime. She also told them what the content of her conversations with the judge were. That was stated in open court today.
"She also told them what the content of her conversations with the judge were. That was stated in open court today."
I missed that. Could you enlighten as to what?

BINGO! That's exactly what I think happened.

We have seen how hot tempered Stine is. Cold Stone temper---ate a quiet lunch with him then shot his life long friend 8 times at close range, then calmly walked away.

What could make him so extremely angry?

What if his wife was trying to leave him but was afraid for her and her daughter's safety? She couldn't just call the police because that would be of no help. So she reached out to her family friend for help----got the Judge to sign a Protective Order and they all exchanged numbers in case of emergency, if they needed help. The judge could get LE to go help with his one phone call, where the wife or daughter might be ignored if they called about an abusive Sheriff.

If Stine found out about the alleged protective order and his wife's plan to leave, he'd be furious at his friend for siding with his wife and daughter.

[A protective order is issued during the court process to protect the alleged victim in domestic violence cases. While the case is pending, a judge will order you stay away from the victim and to stop contacting them.]
If this is, indeed, the scenario, I wonder what the son's place in all this is. MOO MOO MOO

Stines is a large man, some reports citing his weight in excess of 300#. I've wondered if he started taking diet Rx or the non FDA compounds which may have triggered something unintended. One need not go far to read the negatives of the latest miracle drugs to the stars.

Just the same, I'm also wondering about Judge Mullins and his good deeds with recovery versus jail. Recent reports are that the very same Addition Recover Centers (ARC), a for profit organization frequented by inmates sentenced my Mullins (transportation by Stines) is under Federal Investigation for Insurance fraud.

I'm seeing some familiar names previously reported in this case including the Attorney General and the KY Governor. The founder of ARC, Tim Robinson -- a lawyer and recovered alcoholic who started the company that became ARC in 2010, has emerged as a politically well-connected figure and major political donor.

IMO, it would not be shocking to learn Judge Mullins was receiving kickbacks for sending addicts to ARC verus sentencing then to jail, and justify this as a win-win!

I dunno... perhaps if the most powerful politcos in the state were trying to get to Stines to cover for Mullins (in this federal investigation) by threatening Stines family, perhaps this might cause some bullets to fly Mullins way.

Just speculating after realizing things in KY are not always as what they seem... MOO

Your post reminds me of the Luzerne County, PA “Kids for Cash” scandal.

Snipped

appears to show Stines, a hulking man who stands 6’4” and weighs more than 300 pounds, firing on Mullins as he sits at his desk with his left hand up.

The plaintiff and her two attorneys said Stines seemed agitated during the deposition, often turning to his attorney for guidance and asking for frequent breaks. The day after the deposition, Stines — who usually returned press calls promptly — took many hours to get back to a reporter about a fatal accident, according to The Mountain Eagle, Letcher’s weekly newspaper. Stines told the newspaper that he’d “told everyone at the sheriff’s office not to say anything to anyone until he returned.”

Stines also told the newspaper that he had lost 40 pounds in the past two weeks and did not know why.

Yes, like whatever it was, he got it done.

Or rather, overdone. Seriously. He shot the guy three more times when he was already down. That seems like overkill to me.

This was definitely done in a fit of rage. I guess because his daughter's phone number was on the judge's phone? Good grief, I have tons of phone numbers in my phone, that doesn't mean that I have more than a business or friendly relationship.

Snipped

appears to show Stines, a hulking man who stands 6’4” and weighs more than 300 pounds, firing on Mullins as he sits at his desk with his left hand up.
snipped

About the video, I'm wondering why it was shown in open court at this point? Maybe I have this wrong (correct me!), but I thought the decision to send this case to the grand jury is under consideration. Grand juries are private, so why show this damning video in public view before the GJ meets?

Maybe that's acceptable but it felt uncomfortable to me, at this stage, like it subverted the grand jury process?? idk?

jmo

All jmo
Perhaps it was something that was going to expose Stine. IMO

I believe the minor daughter's cell phone should be subpoenaed and archived as evidence. The data would not necessarily need to be analyzed at this time. If the cell phone information is not preserved, there could be issues at trial.

Her cell phone would not necessarily match the judge's phone. Information may have been deleted by one party and archived by another.

It seems that the defense is going for a crime of passion defense. It would be in the State's favor to have proof that there was no inappropriate material on the minor's phone.

BINGO! That's exactly what I think happened.

We have seen how hot tempered Stine is. Cold Stone temper---ate a quiet lunch with him then shot his life long friend 8 times at close range, then calmly walked away.

What could make him so extremely angry?

What if his wife was trying to leave him but was afraid for her and her daughter's safety? She couldn't just call the police because that would be of no help. So she reached out to her family friend for help----got the Judge to sign a Protective Order and they all exchanged numbers in case of emergency, if they needed help. The judge could get LE to go help with his one phone call, where the wife or daughter might be ignored if they called about an abusive Sheriff.

If Stine found out about the alleged protective order and his wife's plan to leave, he'd be furious at his friend for siding with his wife and daughter.

[A protective order is issued during the court process to protect the alleged victim in domestic violence cases. While the case is pending, a judge will order you stay away from the victim and to stop contacting them.]
That doesn't make sense to me, imoo. In your scenario, why would that wife who is so terrified of her husband, try to see him in jail and sit mere feet away from him in court?

With all due respect, they only have scope to investigate Mickey Stines at this point. They can seize the judge's phone because he is a dead victim. They can seize the sheriff's phone after arrest. But invading the privacy of a minor who is not suspected of a crime seems like a huge stretch and I doubt a judge would authorize a search warrant unless something from the searches of the judges or sheriff's phones turns up something to make a search of Lila's phone important (to prosecution or defense). The defense MAY be able to get a warrant for the daughter's and wife's phones for exculpatory information but I think that is a stretch as well.

I mentioned that I am FB friends with someone who is friends with the judge's sister. Can my phone be seized because that connections means they suspect I was in contact with the judge or maybe the underage daughter?

Things can only stretch so far!

Having "reason to believe" is not enough for a warrant
In the scope of investigating Mikey Stines, they can obtain a warrant to obtain evidence against him. If they have probable cause to believe that evidence of that crime exists on a third party device, they can obtain a warrant to obtain that information. Her being a minor is irrelevant.

Your example is well outside providing the probable cause necessary to seize your device. Here, we have a nexus to the daughter, thus her device. Stines placed phone calls to his daughter using his phone and the judge's phone, immediately preceding the murder.

This isn't "reason to believe," there very well could be probable cause that evidence exits there. They either can't reach that burden (know it's irrelevant), or they are being sloppy.

The sheriff’s comment is strange:

“They’re trying to kidnap my wife and kid.”

Who is they?

Perhaps he (sheriff) was wrong and his family were actually leaving him of their own accord.

Was the judge helping family to leave? Or something more sinister?

It's only an opinion and speculation.

Snipped

The plaintiff and her two attorneys said Stines seemed agitated during the deposition, often turning to his attorney for guidance and asking for frequent breaks. The day after the deposition, Stines — who usually returned press calls promptly — took many hours to get back to a reporter about a fatal accident, according to The Mountain Eagle, Letcher’s weekly newspaper. Stines told the newspaper that he’d “told everyone at the sheriff’s office not to say anything to anyone until he returned.”

Stines also told the newspaper that he had lost 40 pounds in the past two weeks and did not know why.
Arg! I wish the mountain eagle wasn't paywalled!

Is the "fatal accident" related?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
N2URIQ