Found Deceased KS - Lucas Hernandez, 5, Wichita, 17 Feb 2018 #13 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if any aerial searches (other than drones) have been done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recall a local mentioning a copter(s) flying over early on, as I recall saYing "good, likely thermal detection... (and/or media)"; Thermal detection is usually standard equip for most LE as I understand it. I would definitely guess yes to answer your question, as this is usually standard procedure in situations like this, moo. I would especially imagine so with WPD being the biggest in Kansas iirc, not to mention the magnitude/ resources associated with these searches.

I saw helicopters early on doing searches over the Big Ditch area

The problem we have in Wichita with aerial searches is the air space is tightly restricted with all of our aircraft companies, the Air Force base, our regular airport and our private one. That’s why drones are about our best options to use because of all the places you have to get permission to fly from.

The problem we have in Wichita with aerial searches is the air space is tightly restricted with all of our aircraft companies, the Air Force base, our regular airport and our private one. That’s why drones are about our best options to use because of all the places you have to get permission to fly from.

Yep- for one search they had to get special permission from the Air Force base IIRC

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but about abdondon worn out buildings in the city or construction sites? Are there any of those near where EG and JH lived? What if she dumped him one of them and buried him in stuff?

Be careful going into those, we did check some and found lots of homeless people living in them. During the day, they typically won’t be in there, but they will set traps and spread body fluids around to keep people away. Since there is a small reward on crime stoppers, I’m confident that if they were to come across a body, they’d report it. I’ve done enough work with the homeless to know they wouldn’t let that go unreported.

Just got done watching the new Dateline episode. Don't know if any of you followed Pfc. Kelli Bordeaux's thread....It was mainly about how her remains were pretty much (finally) found by P.I. and bounty hunter David Marshburn and his dog. Of course there's more to the story....but he does kind of have a gift and was definitely deeply affected by the experience of returning Kelli to her family. He is starting a non-profit called the FindMe Foundation.

I just kept thinking during the whole episode that I wish he were there helping to find Lucas....one more asset....

He's also very clever.....actually got Nick Holbert (Kelli's killer) to confess to him. Hmmmmmm.

I'm constantly posting things I learn about/see on Forensic Files/Dateline, and actually posted some of recent tidbits/insights upstream, but you reminded me, last night I saw this Dateline: https://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/video/full-episode-mystery-in-orange-county-347802179518 (Mariel Ramos, Army vet, Orange, CA...I had seen her case featured on another show as well so was already familiar with her case but...)..Anyway, her killer, (obsessed roommate), was observed via surveillance going to the library a lot after she went missing...(googling things like "how long it takes for a body to decay" etc...they actually had undercover LE who would walk past and try to see what he was viewing, etc....).

So. anyway, get this! On her Find FB page, they had posted an upcoming event that people would be assembling for a search/awareness walk...so, what does he do? He goes straight to the library and pulls up the satellite image and maps of the disposal area to see how close it is to where they would be searching! But see LE had already secured a warrant in advance to view the library's computers in real time, live keystrokes and all, and they actually saw him live zooming in on a tree way out in this canyon which was nowhere near their radar or search areas!

So, just a thought, might she have gone to the library to use the internet? Maribel's perp didn't live in the area for very long so he was not as familiar with terrain, etc, as EG may be here, so perhaps not as likely...

Additionally, it was mentioned on this episode how criminals of course often revisit the crime scene, but how now they don't even have to leave their houses because they can just view it on their computers, and they often do! (We have wondered about this before on WS over the years iirc, perps viewing the cs online, so it was odd to hear it confirmed...).

He was wearing her dog tags when was arrested.

Sorry for o/t, point was mention of the library, fwiw.

Ummm, well kinda. The premeditation part for a child whose death is due to child abuse is actually treated a bit differently depending on the state. EG would be better off saying it was an accident, because that is manslaughter, but if she says nothing and we find him then that opens up the door for more heavy charges. But because Lucas has been seen with marks and bruises, that actually takes the premeditation off the table. She’s been abusing him for awhile and the longer she has done that, the longer she has been able to injure him without it being fatal. I’m not sure if that makes sense, but in my experience, the argument that is used is something like this “Stepmom has been abusing child for a year with no fatalities so with the last beating she had no idea that one would kill the child since it was never fatal before”. Sick as it is, there is legal logic behind it.

I’m not questioning or commenting as a VI here...I simply have a legal question.

What if she got home from OG and LH said something like, “Mr. X knocked on the door while you were gone. He waved at me.”...What if this angered EG because she was afraid the LL would know she’d left LH home alone...What if she lashed out at him, hit him, knocked him unconscious and he died shortly thereafter. Would that be considered an impulsive killing with malice aforethought?

I’m not questioning or commenting as a VI here...I simply have a legal question.

What if she got home from OG and LH said something like, “Mr. X knocked on the door while you were gone. He waved at me.”...What if this angered EG because she was afraid the LL would know she’d left LH home alone...What if she lashed out at him, hit him, knocked him unconscious and he died shortly thereafter. Would that be considered an impulsive killing with malice aforethought?

I'm not an attorney, but I would think that would be a manslaughter charge. Consideration of previous abuse charges involving a minor might up the charge. Its been 28 yrs since my last AJ Class, so things have probably changed. IMO the scenario you mention above is likely what happened.

I'm not an attorney, but I would think that would be a manslaughter charge. Consideration of previous abuse charges involving a minor might up the charge. Its been 28 yrs since my last AJ Class, so things have probably changed. IMO the scenario you mention above is likely what happened.

I think- and I could be wrong - but hiding the body and making a false missing call, could demonstrate ‘a guilty mind’ as it were and up the charges to at least murder 2

Has it been revealed post search where TES was recently concentrated? Tia.

Still undisclosed. And volunteers had to sign non disclosure agreements

You may be right. I was thinking it might be a second degree murder charge. I’ll have to research Kansas statutes when I’m not half asleep.

No. Tim explained to me why they aren’t announcing it. His reasoning made sense.

O/T - Tim is one of the most unpretentious men I’ve ever encountered. He’s down to earth, tells you what’s on his mind, and doesn’t play games. I’m so impressed with him and his team.

My first thought immediately right after you posted The information about Lucas being seen by the landlord at 5:30 was “ I wonder if she somehow found out that The landlord saw Lucas while she was gone. “. Generally when kids are abused the reason for it is almost always going to be because they were punished for something and I really think that she found out he was seen by the landlord and then freaking lost it on him in a drugged up state. I’d bet dollars to donuts that she told him do not answer that door don’t let anybody know that your home. I was even going to go as far as to say That maybe she received a call from the landlord and that’s why it showed that she was on her phone those two times when she was gone but then I realize that LE work know if it was outgoing or incoming.

I think- and I could be wrong - but hiding the body and making a false missing call, could demonstrate ‘a guilty mind’ as it were and up the charges to at least murder 2

Yep :(

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. Kansas statute 21-5402 states that 1st-degree murder can be charged if someone commits or attempts to commit child abuse and the child dies as a result:

Universal Citation: KS Stat § 21-5402 (2017)
21-5402. Murder in the first degree. (a) Murder in the first degree is the killing of a human being committed:

(2) in the commission of, attempt to commit, or flight from any inherently dangerous felony.
(c) As used in this section, an "inherently dangerous felony" means:
(G) abuse of a child, as defined in K.S.A. 2017 Supp. 21-5602, and amendments thereto;

K.S.A. 2017 Supp. 21-5602 cites:

21-5602. Abuse of a child. (a) Abuse of a child is knowingly:

(1) Torturing or cruelly beating any child under the age of 18 years;

(2) shaking any child under the age of 18 years which results in great bodily harm to the child; or

(3) inflicting cruel and inhuman corporal punishment upon any child under the age of 18 years.

(b) Abuse of a child is a severity level 5, person felony.

(c) A person who violates the provisions of this section may also be prosecuted for, convicted of, and punished for any form of battery or homicide.

First-degree murder is punished by 25 to 50 years to life.

So it looks like Glass is screwed if the DA can prove she abused Lucas to the point of death, regardless of what she may claim happened. Certainly she can be offered a plea bargain on a lesser charge. Second-degree murder includes:

21-5403. Murder in the second degree. (a) Murder in the second degree is the killing of a human being committed:

(1) Intentionally; or

(2) unintentionally but recklessly under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life.

The punishment is 9-41 years years if unintentional and 12.5 - 54 years if intentional.

http://www.ksrevisor.org/statutes/chapters/ch21/021_054_0002.html
http://www.kslegislature.net/li_201..._article/021_056_0002_section/021_056_0002_k/
http://statelaws.findlaw.com/kansas-law/kansas-second-degree-murder.html

IMO as a layperson I don't think Glass will skate on manslaughter. MOO.

Agree with all that you have written above. I also think some of this might have been anger towards JH because of the abuse charges brought up by her ex. She just got approved by the judge to have visitation, even used Lucas as a reason why she was a capable mother to have at least visitation rights, and then whatever incident happened on the 4th of February caused her anger towards JH that festered. Just my opinion, but to me, that woman is a walking loose cannon- it doesn't take much to set her off, especially if she perceives that she's been wronged.

Exactly.

You know I just had another thought maybe he slipped up and said “Mr. xxxxxx stopped by but I didn’t answer the door like you said” and Emily says to him “ if you didn’t answer the door and how do you know he was there” and then Lucas says “ I saw him outside” and then Emily just freaking lost it on him and freaked out because she was worried that he saw or found out Lucas was alone. It would make sense if it happened this way because Lucas could’ve been trying to prove to her that he was a good boy to make her proud of him but unknowingly it on accident slipped up because he’s a kid and didn’t know then she flipped out. His thought process may have been if Emily knows I’m good and listened to her then maybe she won’t hurt me anymore.

bb33531aac3af059eea09822c7373a5b.jpg

Lucas has now been missing for one month. I never ever imagined it would be this long.

Feb. 17, the Saturday that the stepmother reported Lucas missing, the weather was fairly nice, Tiflati recalled. His children were in their backyard that day, and he and his wife were outside from time to time working on a dining room table. They can see into the backyard of the house where Lucas had moved. They never saw anyone in the back yard next door that Saturday.

Has anyone seen this before? I can't believe I missed this part of the article but this is the first time I have read this part. Has this been talked about? So the neighbor's were outside all day and never seen Lucas come out the back door. This may be the reasoning behind the police saying that Lucas didn't just walk out. An eyewitness to the time frame given by EG? Also, I think that if the neighbors kids were playing outside having fun, surely Lucas would habe wandered over there to play? This would also debunk the kidnapping theory.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.kansas.com/news/local/article201763589.html

His thought process may have been if Emily knows I’m good and listened to her then maybe she won’t hurt me anymore.

Absolutely heartbreaking to think about but I could see that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966