KY KY - Brookelyn Farthing, 18, Berea, 22 Jun 2013

http://www.wkyt.com/news/headlines/Brookelyn-Farthing-family-to-hold-fundraiser-262352561.html

It's been nearly a year since a Madison County teen went missing, and her family and friends are still looking for answers.

Brookelyn Farthing hasn't been seen since June 22 of last year, when police said she left a house on Dillon Court in Berea. She was just 19 when she went missing.

Her family is planning on marking the anniversary of her disappearance by hosting a benefit. It will be at the Madison County fairgrounds.

Bumping...

It's been one year today. Unfortunately, I do not believe Brookelyn is alive, but I hope soon she will be found. Although (to me) it's quite obvious she didn't send that last text, I have wondered if Rockcastle County is where she could be found...or if anyone in particular has or has had certain ties to that county. My thoughts are with her family today.

One Year Later, Search Continues For Brookelyn Farthing

Snipped:

"She did a lot for her community. A lot of people is willing to give back and that makes it better, but it's great because it's not just us asking questions. It's our community, because they're children have to live here too and they want them safe," said Brookelyn's mother, Shelby Walker.

There's also a video at the link.

http://www.lex18.com/news/one-year-later-search-continues-for-brookelyn-farthing-381740/

One-year since Brookelyn Farthing's disappearance
Posted: Sun 10:25 PM, Jun 22, 2014

Snipped:

"There's still a hole. That hole will always be in my heart. I don't wish this on my worst enemy. All I want is Brooke back," said Randal Walker, Brookelyn's stepfather.

cms151.jpg

http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/home/headl...okelyn-Farthings-disappearance-264159011.html

UPDATE: Fundraiser Held Exactly One Year After Brookelyn Farthing Disappearance

XmCxhTl.png

Snipped:

The family raised money by a car show, raffles, food sales, face painting and other activities that is stored in the Brookelyn Farthing Reward Fund at People's Bank.

Her sisters described her as outgoing and fun and said she'd appreciate the community coming together.

"If she was here I'd tell her I love her and miss her.. And I wish she was coming home," said Paige, Brookelyn's Sister.

http://www.wtvq.com/content/localne...After-Disappearan/hjJFh4qIeE6x4MOHuxlDHw.cspx

Video here:

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/play/5186325?wpid=11176

Hello all! Been lurking for years but this is my first post. Okay, so I live in the next county over, in Estill County. Our property backs up to Madison County and is one of the properties LE asked to look around on. Let me say, from a VERY local perspective, there is very little attention being given to this case. You hardly ever hear or see anything about it, although Topix is rife with speculation. I’ll keep you guys updated on anything new.

One thing that bothers me is the fact that the family has spent (raised) a TON of money on getting billboards made with her image-billboards that they’ve placed IN TOWN. (Well, and in the county seat, 10 miles down the road.) Most people in the county know what she looks like and are aware of the case. Seems like they’re preaching to the choir, if you know what I mean. Surely that money would be better spent-like on hiring a private detective.

Hello all! Been lurking for years but this is my first post. Okay, so I live in the next county over, in Estill County. Our property backs up to Madison County and is one of the properties LE asked to look around on. Let me say, from a VERY local perspective, there is very little attention being given to this case. You hardly ever hear or see anything about it, although Topix is rife with speculation. I’ll keep you guys updated on anything new.

One thing that bothers me is the fact that the family has spent (raised) a TON of money on getting billboards made with her image-billboards that they’ve placed IN TOWN. (Well, and in the county seat, 10 miles down the road.) Most people in the county know what she looks like and are aware of the case. Seems like they’re preaching to the choir, if you know what I mean. Surely that money would be better spent-like on hiring a private detective.

Welcome to Websleuths!

Thank you! This case has fascinated me from the start and not just because it's local. Berea is a very small town, almost idealistic. It's a liberal place yet still "Appalachian." One of those towns where everyone knows everyone. Most people wouldn't be able to fathom that such a tragedy like this would happen there. It's something that would happen to "other places." Unfortunately, over the past 3 years or so, heroin has become a HUGE problem in the area, along with meth. Berea is located RIGHT on the interstate and we get a lot of the drug trade coming down from the north. Tighter restrictions on prescription pain pills (which was the drug of choice for awhile) has given way to harder drugs. I don't know that BF's disappearance had ANYTHING to do with drugs, of course. But it was a wake-up call that the area is just not the Mayberry it once was.

Bumping...

It's been one year today. Unfortunately, I do not believe Brookelyn is alive, but I hope soon she will be found. Although (to me) it's quite obvious she didn't send that last text, I have wondered if Rockcastle County is where she could be found...or if anyone in particular has or has had certain ties to that county. My thoughts are with her family today.

ITA that she is not alive IMO. IMO that is why there isn't much going on in this case.

Thank you! This case has fascinated me from the start and not just because it's local. Berea is a very small town, almost idealistic. It's a liberal place yet still "Appalachian." One of those towns where everyone knows everyone. Most people wouldn't be able to fathom that such a tragedy like this would happen there. It's something that would happen to "other places." Unfortunately, over the past 3 years or so, heroin has become a HUGE problem in the area, along with meth. Berea is located RIGHT on the interstate and we get a lot of the drug trade coming down from the north. Tighter restrictions on prescription pain pills (which was the drug of choice for awhile) has given way to harder drugs. I don't know that BF's disappearance had ANYTHING to do with drugs, of course. But it was a wake-up call that the area is just not the Mayberry it once was.

You are correct about drugs. May not have anything to do with BF's disappearance but it makes one wary of meeting new people. I'm from the area too (close by) and its frightening how the meth and heroin has taken over. People with legitimate pain issues can't even get meds so they turn to these other drugs and they don't seem to understand that it turns them into someone else. BF may have trusted the wrong person or people.

I have no doubt the homeowner did this, the couch fire screams of covering up evidence, the way he texted her saying bring the car back to him, knowing she would be alone and in his house with no electricity. and she was scared. you dont go from being scared at 4.30 to the point you are texting people begging to be picked up. to deciding to go to a party, but then miraculously be sitting on the couch smoking at 6am. nothing adds up. and i really hope the police in this area arent stupid and have this guy as a suspect.
where were his "horses" ? how far did her have to go to "Tend" to them. that story seems incredibley suspicious and conveniant that she just up and vanished in that time.
Given the time frame only being a couple hours her body cant be TOO far, its just probably a matter of he knows a good hiding spot. or has had the time to move it in the last year.
I feel like something happened to her very quickly after the 4.30 txt and after her body was disposed the homeowner sent the text at 5.30 saying not to worry about picking her up and then threw her phone either with her or away. if the parents are saying the phone was still ringing out when they rang it in the morning and the last ping was from that address/area then she never left, shes still there.
Or something happened to her and after he saw her phone and read her last few texts and then to cover tracks sent the text and then disposed of the body and phone in the time he claimed to have been going to the horses. he probably lit the cigarette put it on the couch waited for it to flame and then called 911
I feel like this will be similar to the holly bobo case and her body will be found very close by but only by chance

This case should have solved by now. Sadly, it seems like it one of those where until a body is found, nothing will happen.

I get taking the car back as its his property, but God knows why she didnt stall for the 2 hours and just wait til 6am where her ex finished work and taken the car back together.

I keep thinking about that too. I wonder if, when she left him to take her friend home, he was there by himself. But then, when she returned, there were others there and an "after party" going on that she wasn't expecting. I don't think she started getting uncomfortable until later in the evening. I've read in some posts that they found it odd that she texted she was "going to Rockcastle County" for a party and wondered why she didn't say the town's name. That is VERY common around here. Unless you live in a big city, like Louisville or Lexington, you're much more likely to say what county what you're going to or from. I always figured that stemmed from our Irish roots. We actually joke about it quite a bit and it shows up on some "you know you're from Kentucky" lists. With that being said, I don't think she actually sent that text.

There are lots of places to hide a body around here. Madison County itself is rural, especially that area, but the surrounding counties (Rockcastle, Estill, and Jackson) are VERY rural. Lots of sinkholes, caves, forests, ponds, etc. Would not be hard to get rid of something, or someone. Whoever did it could have been in any one of those counties within 30 minutes or less, and pretty deep in.

We have such a huge problem with heroin here now and human trafficking is even becoming an issue, although that's more in the Louisville area. I know quite a few people who have an "in" with LE and it seems that they all know who they should be looking at and are waiting for some harder evidence because they know they only have one shot to get it right.

I think, in this case, the simplest answer is the correct one. I believe there was either an overdose or an attack, or possibly both. Some sort of bodily fluid escaped onto the couch (blood, urine, vomit, semen) and it was thus burnt to destroy the evidence. She may very well have died by accident but her body hidden, again, to destroy the evidence. I wonder if maybe the others involved, and I do think there was more than one, were not all local. Usually people will start talking because the pressure becomes too great. but we have quite a few dealers making the Michigan-Florida run and it's possible some were there, doing business or hanging out, when whatever happened happened. That would explain why nobody has cracked yet-they've moved on and the only local person involved feels secure.

So sad. Maybe this spring will bring much needed answers. Not sure about that area but up here in the north east we are covered by FEET of snow and spring thaw can't come fast enough. I feel so sad knowing that she was scared in likely her last few hours then minutes of life.

I don't get why the home ownervous would call 911 about the fire and not just get rid of the couch. Was it just to avoid questions about where it went when it would eventually come out she was missing from his house? Police took weeks to even consider looking at the couch as connected, plenty of time to "replace the furniture" in my opinion.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back