Found Deceased KY - Savannah Spurlock, 22, left 'The Other Bar' with 2 men, Richmond, 4 Jan 2019 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, which article?
One person commented she saw an article saying the last ping was near a back porch. I asked and she didn't remember which article/report it was in. Maybe someone remembers it. I want to know if that is true and if it was the back porch of the home the car was towed from. There was a tarped swimming pool in the Google Earth image. I hope they looked in there.

No idea -- it came from your post above which I was responding to.

Nonetheless, my point and subsequent posts by others was to differentiate between typical "cell tower ping," using a radius, and a phone app using GPS to detect a precise location.

Perhaps it was GPS that led authorities to the unnamed house that SS allegedly "walked away" from? I'm just sorry they didn't immediately locate SS there or nearby. :(

This article gives a concise but easy to understand description, difference, and capabilities of a cell phone "ping" & GPS. It also clears the confusion up.
Note: the article was written prior to the 2018 Supreme Court change to LE's accessibility to cell phone location data.
What Your Cell Phone Can’t Tell the Police
Thanks @BlinkOfAnI ! An excellent resource -- wish we cold "pin" this in every thread! :)

No idea -- it came from your post above which I was responding to.

Nonetheless, my point and subsequent posts by others was to differentiate between typical "cell tower ping," using a radius, and a phone app using GPS to detect a precise location.

Perhaps it was GPS that led authorities to the unnamed house that SS allegedly "walked away" from? I'm just sorry they didn't immediately locate SS there or nearby. :(
Toney Wade actually addresses what led LE to that house in this interview @ 18:25 (IE ping :D).
Young mom of newborn twins vanishes after night out with girlfriends, mystery ping & disturbing video emerge from Crime Stories with Nancy Grace

Thanks, I had not listened to this.
I think this was good to listen to and I agree that a decent person would not let another take off walking on their own without a coat, etc. in an unfamiliar area. They would offer a ride or to call someone at least.

So what happens next? Just hoping she is found by chance?
Could be. Several posters have said in KY prosecutors are reluctant to charge without a body. I'll defer to their experience. I know in other jurisdictions prosecutors would not be. It has always been my thought that LE would have enough against these three men by now if they think they are responsible. jmo

Unless and until someone tells where Savannah is, assuming a crime was committed and someone does know her location, I believe she most likely will be found eventually just by luck, if at all. In my many years here, there have been very, very few cases that I have followed where a victim was found without help from the perp or perps. We all have misplaced our keys or cell phone at home, and we know it is inside our home, and we still turn the house upside down looking. Now imagine looking for someone when you don't even have a real good idea what area you should be looking in, and chances are that the body may be covered or buried. I think it is almost a miracle that anyone is found under such circumstances, honestly. At this point, the best hope of finding Savannah probably rests in either someone getting a conscience , or LE putting enough pressure on someone to get them to cut a deal and tell where she is. JMO

Last edited:
Someone posted a good article on pings & cell towers. If I remember right, the phone pings every 30 minutes. So, if LE said the phone went dead between 8 & 8:30, it pinged at 8 but not at 8:30. Therefore it died between those 2 times. One article said 8:45 which I assume they just used the midway point between those 2 times.

I said something similar in the past threads about pings. I’m a computer science major so this is the stuff that I get really into lol. I used the 30 mins as an example. Most cell companies have their timers set for a phone to ping every few minutes, which narrows the window down even farther. It varies company to company but it’s generally done quite a few times every hour that the phone is turned on. When you turn your phone on in the morning, it sends a signal that it’s on the network, and then continues throughout the day. It never sends a signal when it’s tirned off or dies though. It just kind of drops off the network and never pings again. The use the time information to narrow it down to a window.
For some reason I was thinking LE had thought her phone was off or dead by 830 am bc they had based it on the information gathered from the pings. However, reading old articles, they based that information on when her mom called that following morning and getting SS’s voice mail. I have a feeling LE has a lot of information from her phone activity.

Unless and until someone tells where Savannah is, assuming a crime was committed and someone does know her location, I believe she most likely will be found eventually just by luck, if at all. In my many years here, there have been very, very few cases that I have followed where a victim was found without help from the perp or perps. We all have misplaced our keys or cell phone at home, and we know it is inside our home, and we still turn the house upside down looking. Now imagine looking for someone when you don't even have a real good idea what area you should be looking in. I think it is almost a miracle that anyone is found under such circumstances, honestly. At this point, the best hope of finding Savannah probably rests in either someone getting a conscience , or LE putting enough pressure on someone to get them to cut a deal and tell where she is. JMO

If any of the guys were involved, hopefully one of them talks. Without her body, her case will probably come to a stall. One thing I’ve noticed in similar cases around the state though, is that LE stays on top of the potential suspects. The person of interest in Crystal Rogers case recently got caught stealing from Lowe’s. They came down hard on him. He chose a jury trial and was granted a change of venue since he felt he wouldn’t get a fair trial. He’s technically never been in any kind of legal trouble before. They watch him and a couple other people in his inner circle like hawks.
The same thing happened in Paige Johnson’s case. The guy who was with her last was in and out of jail for all kinds of petty charges.

I said something similar in the past threads about pings. I’m a computer science major so this is the stuff that I get really into lol. I used the 30 mins as an example. Most cell companies have their timers set for a phone to ping every few minutes, which narrows the window down even farther. It varies company to company but it’s generally done quite a few times every hour that the phone is turned on. When you turn your phone on in the morning, it sends a signal that it’s on the network, and then continues throughout the day. It never sends a signal when it’s tirned off or dies though. It just kind of drops off the network and never pings again. The use the time information to narrow it down to a window.
For some reason I was thinking LE had thought her phone was off or dead by 830 am bc they had based it on the information gathered from the pings. However, reading old articles, they based that information on when her mom called that following morning and getting SS’s voice mail. I have a feeling LE has a lot of information from her phone activity.
I'm really confused now. The Nancy Grace interviews said it last pinged at 8:30. Your saying that 8;30 was determined by her moms phone call & the call going to voice mail. tia

We're having some horrible flooding here in eastern and central KY. My road got so washed out that we had to evacuate tonight. Parts of Madison County are impassable and poor Estill County is underwater. Roads have been washed out. I've heard that a lot of other counties are getting it, too. This is the worst flood that some of these counties have EVER seen. On the negative side, the won't be doing any major searches for Savannah for a while. On the plus side, we've had so much water and wind over the past 7 days that it really wouldn't surprise me if some evidence doesn't wash up.

Some pictures I took today of Madison County from today.
flood 3.jpg flood 4.jpg

Could be. Several posters have said in KY prosecutors are reluctant to charge without a body. I'll defer to their experience. I know in other jurisdictions prosecutors would not be. It has always been my thought that LE would have enough against these three men by now if they think they are responsible. jmo

A prosecutor needs evidence of a crime-- with or without a body. I'm currently following 3 cases now with no body but there was sufficient evidence that a crime was committed and by whom to arrest and charge each defendant.

I've not been following as close as most here so please tell me what evidence you believe LE has against the three men that they committed a crime.

I suspect the last men to see SS know what happened to her but nobody is convicted on suspicion. I believe the most we can hope for is that these men are under careful watch that if/when evidence surfaces linking them to any crime against SS that they will be easily apprehended.

The disappearance of this young Mum hurts my heart, and my thoughts and prayers to her family and friends.

We're having some horrible flooding here in eastern and central KY. My road got so washed out that we had to evacuate tonight. Parts of Madison County are impassable and poor Estill County is underwater. Roads have been washed out. I've heard that a lot of other counties are getting it, too. This is the worst flood that some of these counties have EVER seen. On the negative side, the won't be doing any major searches for Savannah for a while. On the plus side, we've had so much water and wind over the past 7 days that it really wouldn't surprise me if some evidence doesn't wash up.
Some pictures I took today of Madison County from today.
View attachment 170824 View attachment 170825

Safety first @mtnlites for you and yours.

Are there still search teams for SS in the area?

Safety first @mtnlites for you and yours.

Are there still search teams for SS in the area?

Not any official ones. There may have been some small groups that met up and looked, but nothing from the state. LE was going to try to get one together at the end of last week but then the rain came. And came and came.

If any of the guys were involved, hopefully one of them talks. Without her body, her case will probably come to a stall. One thing I’ve noticed in similar cases around the state though, is that LE stays on top of the potential suspects. The person of interest in Crystal Rogers case recently got caught stealing from Lowe’s. They came down hard on him. He chose a jury trial and was granted a change of venue since he felt he wouldn’t get a fair trial. He’s technically never been in any kind of legal trouble before. They watch him and a couple other people in his inner circle like hawks.
The same thing happened in Paige Johnson’s case. The guy who was with her last was in and out of jail for all kinds of petty charges.
I agree. I think it's going to require a witness or one of the group to come forward to save himself to find the truth and bring SS home. MOO

A prosecutor needs evidence of a crime-- with or without a body. I'm currently following 3 cases now with no body but there was sufficient evidence that a crime was committed and by whom to arrest and charge each defendant.

I've not been following as close as most here so please tell me what evidence you believe LE has against the three men that they committed a crime.

I suspect the last men to see SS know what happened to her but nobody is convicted on suspicion. I believe the most we can hope for is that these men are under careful watch that if/when evidence surfaces linking them to any crime against SS that they will be easily apprehended.

The disappearance of this young Mum hurts my heart, and my thoughts and prayers to her family and friends.
I'm not sure of what LE has. However, I have a hard time believing the three men jointly killed her. If one killed her or she died accidentally, I can't see them protecting the guilty one if she was killed or if it was accidental, one taking a plea & disclosing what happened.

I’m not sure of what LE has either. I also continue to struggle that these 3 guys went out that night with intent to harm. I don’t know why I feel this way, I don’t even know any of them. Yet, there have been enough cases in the news recently that could give someone ideas of how to dispose of a body quickly. We have Chris Watts and the disposal of his family at his place of work, there was Mollie Tibbits, that was in a field, however LE initially looked at a hog farm for her remains. Point being, crap like this happens, it is blasted all over MSM and I often worry that it gives someone that’s on the edge enough of a push to follow through.
MOO.

I’m not sure of what LE has either. I also continue to struggle that these 3 guys went out that night with intent to harm. I don’t know why I feel this way, I don’t even know any of them. Yet, there have been enough cases in the news recently that could give someone ideas of how to dispose of a body quickly. We have Chris Watts and the disposal of his family at his place of work, there was Mollie Tibbits, that was in a field, however LE initially looked at a hog farm for her remains. Point being, crap like this happens, it is blasted all over MSM and I often worry that it gives someone that’s on the edge enough of a push to follow through.
MOO.

I hope her parents are aware of what the police have. I just don't have the feeling they are privy to that info. I feel so bad for them. Though she is a mother she is still a kid to them. I think that is what drew me to keep up with the case, being the parent of 3 around her age. If good thoughts, prayers, and positive feelings can help I know the crew here is keeping the hope up she is somehow found safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serge