Kyron's Artwork

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have a question.:waitasec:

Was it writen somewhere by Kyron that this was the sun?

Because when I look at it, I first think of a joker
123582004695bwxc.jpg
which is something scary to me - kind of like clowns (some are scary looking and some aren't)

UBM

Reminds me of a joker too, Aimee

But a happy joker

UBM

Reminds me of a joker too, Aimee

But a happy joker

I thought that the artwork resembled some type of colorful Indian headdress with face paint. I considered the possiblity that Kyron's class had studied Indians, Pilgrims, etc., possibly around Thanksgiving time, and that the students had been asked to render their impressions of the various topics that they had covered during the unit plan. Also of note in Kyron's drawing is the use of the three primary colors. jmo

Yes, they are in the same family. (My mother has a Masters in Natural History). Problem is that they look different. Which wouldn't be a problem if people weren't trying to ascribe meaning to perfectly innocent drawings of chipmunks. Sometimes a chipmunk is just a chipmunk, or a mislabelled squirrel is just a squirrel.

Funny story, when my brother was little, my mom was called into school (this was about 40 years ago) about a picture my brother drew. He was supposed to have drawn a picture of his mother. They were worried because he drew a picture of a black lady with a huge pole looking like she was doing something violent. Which should draw flags, since my adoptive mother is very white.

Turns out, they had just built a new house built on hardpan, and my mother was having to use a metal throwbar to try to break through the hardpan in order to be able to plant trees. Sometimes a throwbar is just a throwbar.

I agree with your posts.

I'm certainly no art therapist, but I am an artist, and in addition to selling my work, I teach an art camp in the summer, and I teach art during the school year for a local organization (ages 5-13, though this year I will have some older kids, too). I see SO many different drawings from so many kids. Sometimes they are just drawing something innocent, but let's face it, the hand eye coordination is developing at that age for most (at least writing/drawing). Anything could be interpreted so many different ways. Something innocent can look menacing.

Also, I'd like to add that when I was little, my FAVORITE color was black. I always used it, I colored with it, I even wrote poems about it, and when my sisters and I had to pick different colored toys or trinkets, if there was a black one, I wanted it! I didn't necessarily associate it with anything bad- I just liked it. It looked sleek and cool to me. My mom later told me that it used to worry her at first.

I am impressed that Kyron fills up the page with his work! He also appears to have some innate sense of composition and balance:) I also like the borders he drew in his own work...he fills that space up, as well. I wonder if his teacher prompts him to do this, or if he did it on his own. I am always telling my kids to fill up the page! Not only does it keep them from rushing through an assignment and distracting others, it often makes for a better composition, and makes them really plan and think about the drawing (or painting) as a whole!

Anyway, he is a talented little boy.

I asked my kids what they thought of the drawings. The Sun could have been done in math class to show patterns (counting). The apple looks like a stoplight and the worms could've represented the family. The squirrel could be that or a chipmunk. I asked my youngest why he didn't finish the leaf and she said because he died...very weird that she would say that.

I asked my kids what they thought of the drawings. The Sun could have been done in math class to show patterns (counting). The apple looks like a stoplight and the worms could've represented the family. The squirrel could be that or a chipmunk. I asked my youngest why he didn't finish the leaf and she said because he died...very weird that she would say that.

bbm
Children are so perceptive and honest.

I know nothing about art, but I am still so surprised that a 7 year old could draw as well as he did - The Sun.

I could not have drawn it as well as he did. If I didn't know better, I would have said that The Sun was done by an older child. Gosh I think he's talented. Heck, I'd buy that drawing.

Yikes, LMax, does your daughter know anything about this case ?

How old is she ?

No, I don't think she has heard anything about this case til I showed her the drawings. She is 6. Actually, I keep feeling/hoping he is alive.

The format and coloring of the pictures makes me wonder if he knew someone who made stained-glass ornaments or suncatchers, or if he'd had a craft class in the plastic equivalents. The way he lays out the frame inside the square, then divides the colors, is very reminiscent of lead-channel or plastic-channel work. The "sun" photo especially looks like he might have been remembering other treatments he had seen.

I'm neither an art teacher nor art therapist, so I can't comment on hidden meanings or whatever, but I am an artist and I recognize that this kid has a fair amount of talent. The execution is above average but what really strikes me is his eye for detail and his ability to convey it.

I thought the nuts in the squirrel picture represented his family. 2 larger nuts for stepmom and dad, and a tiny nut for the baby. I think he put a peace symbol up by the stepmom and dad acorn because he wants them to get along.

I thought the nuts in the squirrel picture represented his family. 2 larger nuts for stepmom and dad, and a tiny nut for the baby. I think he put a peace symbol up by the stepmom and dad acorn because he wants them to get along.

That could well be, though I don't think that's a peace sign. It looks to me like a leaf -- that whole corner of the picture is uncolored, like he was interrupted before he could finish.

Well, except for the fact that the picture he drew is NOT of a red squirrel. It is a chipmunk.

And, all this drama is based on a total of '3' drawings we've seen? If red is so important in Kyron's life, you'd think he'd have drawn the apple as red, instead of red, yellow and green. The subject matter of all 3 pictures is appropriate as a child, and the use of primary colors is normal. I am an artist and have taught children's art. His pictures, the 3 we've seen, appear perfectly normal.

Children tend to not use symbolism and representation in their artwork or writing until quite a bit older, unless specifically asked to in an art project. meaning, when you tell them to draw the sun, they draw the sun- not some representative drawing of a family member. Pretty simple.

actually, therapists do analyze art work of children. sometimes based on subject matter, Sometimes based on the size and placement of objects on the paper. And other things I am sure.

actually, therapists do analyze art work of children. sometimes based on subject matter, Sometimes based on the size and placement of objects on the paper. And other things I am sure.

I can tell you from experience, and this may differ from state-to-state and person-to-person, but everything in the drawing is almost void but color when being analyzed by a trained therapist (inside a school setting.) Of course, things like genitalia, violence and the such is looked at, but for the most part they will straight at color first - and deeply.
I had an episode of genitalia drawings, and it was brought up, but what wasn't mentioned was that the class had JUST gone to the Science center, and they walked by an exhibit showing things like this.

It was the color that he used in the drawing that caused the "problem."

Also, people keep saying that the sun looks like certain things, and it could be, but if this was made in school I can almost say for certain it was made after reading a book.....

caterpillar.jpg

This is how teaching is fun for children, and how you keep their attention in the classroom.

I am just trying to give my personal experience, which I think could help in this area because Lord knows I have spent my time trying to take it all in. Maybe I can help sharing it with you.

I can tell you from experience, and this may differ from state-to-state and person-to-person, but everything in the drawing is almost void but color when being analyzed by a trained therapist (inside a school setting.) Of course, things like genitalia, violence and the such is looked at, but for the most part they will straight at color first - and deeply.
I had an episode of genitalia drawings, and it was brought up, but what wasn't mentioned was that the class had JUST gone to the Science center, and they walked by an exhibit showing things like this.

It was the color that he used in the drawing that caused the "problem."

Also, people keep saying that the sun looks like certain things, and it could be, but if this was made in school I can almost say for certain it was made after reading a book.....

caterpillar.jpg

This is how teaching is fun for children, and how you keep their attention in the classroom.

I am just trying to give my personal experience, which I think could help in this area because Lord knows I have spent my time trying to take it all in. Maybe I can help sharing it with you.

I was a teacher for almost 30 years-about 15 teaching elementary art until that "frill" was eliminated. Fortunately, I have an additional teaching license.

I also took some art therapy classes for continuing education.

So I do know that you have to know the child which comes out in being with the child , in therapy.

However, I had a child that was 6 years old in class , which was my most horrifying situation. She was a sex abuse victim, but the story is far worse than that.

Anyway, her regular drawings were filled with meaning.

I might imagine that LE had an expert look at his art work. For some reason LE chose to put those out, Why? Who knows.

Is analyzing a child's drawings a precise science? Of course not. But sometimes it may give insights not otherwise visible.

We do so many things that come from unconscious places in our beings.

Con men and women of all kinds tune right into it. Card sharks tune right into it. All kinds of professions do.

I have no idea what these drawings may be saying.

When I was an art teacher, we would meet once a week to exchange ideas.

So many times we would come with examples of the lesson that the art teacher had told us about the week before. We would use the ideas in our own classrooms, and when we presented our lesson, it was nothing like the original art teacher had presented to us. The art teacher was surprised that it was even the same lesson.

So a teacher can present a lesson to a child, and it comes out totally different than one expected.

That could well be, though I don't think that's a peace sign. It looks to me like a leaf -- that whole corner of the picture is uncolored, like he was interrupted before he could finish.

Oh Okay, I never even thought of that! Definite possibility of that. Thank you!!
I noticed he also uses that peace symbol/leaf vein design in parts of the sun too. At the tip of the rays.

With all the stories about siblings and their drawings worrying the teachers ... this might be good for a laugh.

http://cyclotron.tamu.edu/chem101h/ppt9x-102H.pdf

A coworker had given this cartoon to me after I told her about my son always drawing me with really big hair.

I was amazed I could find it online, even tho in a different source.

And although I was sure my daughter would call the animal in question a squirrel, when I showed her the pix she said:

Apple being eaten by worms
Sun with a man-face
Chipmunk

When I asked her why she thought it was a chipmunk and not a squirrel, she pointed to the stripes.

Art is often interpreted differently than the artist intended. To my daughter, Kyron's "Red Squirrel" was a chipmunk.

ETA
She is 4 years old.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeybadger503