Kyron's Artwork

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Kyron_Sun.jpg

http://www.flashalert.net/news.html?id=1276

This is beautiful. I studied childhood art education in College a little bit..as boys grow up and socialize with other boys in school etc they usually move away from themes such as these to themes that are more in a 'boy' than 'girl' section..like spaceships, cars etc. So this is strange to me...IMO it shows a very happy unaggressive nature and is very personal...(psychologists usually get children to draw pictures of how they feel instead of verbalizing it as their drawing capabilities usually outstrip their ability to describe situations/feelings at this age!)

I have also worked with children who drew like this a few years ago and have kept up their interest in art/drawing and have become quite accomplished! I am a potrait artist and his drawings remind me of what I used to draw like when I was little. I hope he gets to express himself so happily again.

A face with glasses. Very abstract. The glasses are rectangular. Not a typical portrait.

That is also beautiful. The fact he doesn't focus on harsh outlines shows how comfortable he is with his work...most children would go over the glasses in darker paint trying to 'fix' it to make it look realistic (this frustration is what usually makes kids, especially boys, give up drawing by age 10)..

A great book with some awesome chapters on childrens perception in Art is ;

http://www.google.com/products/cata...TO2VPJWgwwWf_6wV&sa=title&ved=0CAgQ8wIwADgA#p

Ps..after spending 5 years in one of the best art schools in Europe..little Kyron's painting here is better than a lot of the stuff I've seen at the last few years degree shows!:angel:

I don't believe this necessarily at all, but if one looks at the smile in the sun face, it is not a curved smile. It has sharp angles to it.

So to me it implies a false smile. Smiling, but cruelty behind the smile.

I am just throwing it out there as a thought. I am not committed to it at all.

Plus, the sun shapes are very much like daggers to me, not friendly at all. They seem ot be thrusting out from the sun aggressively.

It's a sharp picture, not a soft one to me at all.

What does this mean? Nothing, as other people have totally different ideas.

I don't believe this necessarily at all, but if one looks at the smile in the sun face, it is not a curved smile. It has sharp angles to it.

So to me it implies a false smile. Smiling, but cruelty behind the smile.

I am just throwing it out there as a thought. I am not committed to it at all.

Plus, the sun shapes are very much like daggers to me, not friendly at all. They seem ot be thrusting out from the sun aggressively.

It's a sharp picture, not a soft one to me at all.

What does this mean? Nothing, as other people have totally different ideas.

Actually it can mean very specific things..I wish I had access to my college library right now..reams of books on tone, colour, sharpness shapes and what they mean in relation to child psychology! That is why they are used in assessing the mental health and wellbeing of a child.

What strikes me most about the sun picture are the eyes: he draws in the upper and lower lids with extra folds. This is very realistic detailing for such a young child. I taught high school art and most students drawing their self portrait could not imagine drawing those in since it is not flattering, etc. or they just can't step out of the idealized drawing of an eye i.e. almond shape with one lid on top and eyelashes. The eyes in Kyron's drawing suggests to me an older person or a wrinkled person.

Either Kyron copied this from something familiar or from an image given to him by his art teacher (e.g. mandala images) or he has a higher level seeing and thinking ability as an artist.

In the self-portrait, I like how his head is huge compared to his body and the glasses are the largest feature of his head. The colour is lighter than the border (with quite the interesting texture). His glasses are the most important part of him (and his mind from the enormous head). Interesting that his portrait seems almost invisible in the surrounding border. It toook me a few minutes to figure out what the focus is inside of the negative space. JMO

I noticed the folds too..thats why I don't think it's a menacing Sun..it looks content..almost sleepy..

Happy Saturday.

I wanted to cheer myself up and look at Kyron's Art again...:)

IMO - I think Kyron probably copied the sun drawing for a directed art study class.

We discussed this weeks ago on the numbered general thread. Doing art units (native american art, impressionism) in Art is common - wholistic study and then the kids are invited to choose a piece they've studied and try to replicate it or stylize from it. I asked the forum for input because I could not figure out how a 7 year old could draw such a picture without being very very gifted. (This isn't to say Kyron's not a wonderful artist - he is. It's not that easy to copy so well!)

My kids are old enough that they didn't have this type of art education experience in early years in school. As it turns out, many on the forum do, and had a good idea how the sun project likely came to be... Based on thier feedback, to me this seemed the most logical explanation of Kyron's widely publicized art.

Again JHMO, The squirrel picture by Kyron is NOT a squirrel at all - it is a chipmunk. Kids know the difference. Kids care about the difference. Young science geeks with boy scout older brothers really care about the difference. You can bet Kyron's family taught him the difference. (I won't insult our little outdoorsman Kyron by calling his chipmunk a red squirrel!) :biggrin:

(That doesn't mean that Kyron wasn't aware that the red squirrel is special to his stepmom - it probably means he'd already done 10 red squirrels and decided to do a chipmunk. In all likelihood, he made yet another drawing of a woodland creature expecting to have it admired by his stepmom, especially.)

The most recent photo of a Kyron work of art we have - be-spectacled self-portrait - might be more indicative of Kyron's young artisitic ability. I totally love his portrait, (and so does he!). He's in the woods! And so happy! And, man does he LOVE LOVE LOVE his glasses. :)

The sun picture is an complete copy of what my children were instructed to draw in art. When I questioned the art teacher it was a project for children to copy a piece of modern art. All the kids had to do it. They even took this picture and sent it in to a company that makes magnets for a school fund raiser. Apparently this picture in on refrigerators through out the U.S.A.. really I believe they could find something better to teach the kids to draw.

Thank you. As an artist and children's art instructor, I agree. Children can come up with some really detailed work when they are copying another artist's style or a particular picture. I actually prefer children's art that is based on their interests and topics.

So, I agree, these look like art projects copying a style or artist, and there is no meaning in any of the details.

I do have to say I find it interesting... the 'hidden' meanings so many people are finding here. I wonder if they would find the same meanings if they were asked to evaluate the same drawings- and the child was not missing.

I have no doubt that Kyron was aware that what he drew was not a red squirrel, but was in fact a chipmunk.

I'm curious- are there even red (or grey) squirrels in that area? We have squirrels, but no chipmunks around here. Has nothing to do with this thread, I'm just curious.

Happy Saturday.

I wanted to cheer myself up and look at Kyron's Art again...:)

IMO - I think Kyron probably copied the sun drawing for a directed art study class.

We discussed this weeks ago on the numbered general thread. Doing art units (native american art, impressionism) in Art is common - wholistic study and then the kids are invited to choose a piece they've studied and try to replicate it or stylize from it. I asked the forum for input because I could not figure out how a 7 year old could draw such a picture without being very very gifted. (This isn't to say Kyron's not a wonderful artist - he is. It's not that easy to copy so well!)

My kids are old enough that they didn't have this type of art education experience in early years in school. As it turns out, many on the forum do, and had a good idea how the sun project likely came to be... Based on thier feedback, to me this seemed the most logical explanation of Kyron's widely publicized art.

Again JHMO, The squirrel picture by Kyron is NOT a squirrel at all - it is a chipmunk. Kids know the difference. Kids care about the difference. Young science geeks with boy scout older brothers really care about the difference. You can bet Kyron's family taught him the difference. (I won't insult our little outdoorsman Kyron by calling his chipmunk a red squirrel!) :biggrin:

(That doesn't mean that Kyron wasn't aware that the red squirrel is special to his stepmom - it probably means he'd already done 10 red squirrels and decided to do a chipmunk. In all likelihood, he made yet another drawing of a woodland creature expecting to have it admired by his stepmom, especially.)

The most recent photo of a Kyron work of art we have - be-spectacled self-portrait - might be more indicative of Kyron's young artisitic ability. I totally love his portrait, (and so does he!). He's in the woods! And so happy! And, man does he LOVE LOVE LOVE his glasses. :)

When I first saw the book site a few days ago I wondered what came first..Terri's nickname or the book titled (I assume written with her in mind) Terri, That Red Squirrel ..Any idea? TIA!

Just to bounce off your post regarding the book. In light of Kristian Horman's statement of being sexually abused by his grandfather, the website of these stories gives me the creeps.....all about secret places, hiding places, etc. The author is Kaine and Kristian's father, correct? Does anyone else find this website suspicious or do I need a vacation from WS? :) JMOO

Just to bounce off your post regarding the book. In light of Kristian Horman's statement of being sexually abused by his grandfather, the website of these stories gives me the creeps.....all about secret places, hiding places, etc. The author is Kaine and Kristian's father, correct? Does anyone else find this website suspicious or do I need a vacation from WS? :) JMOO

Not really. Neil is adoptive father of kaine & kristian. They may have had a number of grandfathers in their lives.

Both Neil & Melvin, Neil's father seem of academic ilk. Neil was a literature major at Wash U. People who love literature often take to writing things themselves. Looks like he wrote for his grandchildren. In my research I fouond that many of character names in the books are actual Horman grandchildren names.

The children's books are about the area where Neil actually lives. Snoqualmie area is in a national forest. Beautiful country. I got the feeling everything he described is real - and the grandchildren have walked to this special place with him on several occaisions...Rolf's Hideout.

This is beautiful. I studied childhood art education in College a little bit..as boys grow up and socialize with other boys in school etc they usually move away from themes such as these to themes that are more in a 'boy' than 'girl' section..like spaceships, cars etc. So this is strange to me...IMO it shows a very happy unaggressive nature and is very personal...(psychologists usually get children to draw pictures of how they feel instead of verbalizing it as their drawing capabilities usually outstrip their ability to describe situations/feelings at this age!)

I have also worked with children who drew like this a few years ago and have kept up their interest in art/drawing and have become quite accomplished! I am a potrait artist and his drawings remind me of what I used to draw like when I was little. I hope he gets to express himself so happily again.

I think this is a beautiful picture drawn by kyron. Reminds me of a joker. interesting that each point leads to a number. There are 8 blue points then 7 red points then 8 yellow points surrounded by a cricle of the three colors 16 blue, 17 red. then 16 yellow the outer points 8 red and 7 yellow.

8,7,8, 16 = 1+6=7, 17 = 1+7=8, 16= 1+6=7, 8,7 and last the lines in the inner circle are 8
8,7,8,7,8,7, 8, 7,8.

Too wierd. Interesting picture though

Someone posted 3 days ago that the reading book for Kyron's class had a story about a squirrel. They might have been asked to draw a picture to reflect their impression of the squirrel in the story. IMO, I don't know that much can be inferred from these drawings without more personal info r/t Kyron.

It does look like a 7 year old tried to color the squirrel and background.

IS that a squirrel? From the stripe and the 2-tone face, it looks like a chipmunk to me.

If there is any numerological meaning to anything about the sun drawing, no doubt it can be attributed to the original artist, as it's pretty clear that is was a drawing based on an established artist's pre-existing artwork.

As far as the other drawing- yes, it is a pretty good representation of a chipmunk, not a squirrel, and the skill level is more reflective of a child that age that is not being asked to do a project based on a known artist.

Please read back in the thread for a lot more info from other parents, teachers and artists.

Do we know that Kyron done this artwork all by himself? Maybe he had some help form Terri/Kaine or teacher...if so, is it really Kyrons personal artwork? Is it really Kyron expressing himself?

Not really. Neil is adoptive father of kaine & kristian. They may have had a number of grandfathers in their lives.

Both Neil & Melvin, Neil's father seem of academic ilk. Neil was a literature major at Wash U. People who love literature often take to writing things themselves. Looks like he wrote for his grandchildren. In my research I fouond that many of character names in the books are actual Horman grandchildren names.

The children's books are about the area where Neil actually lives. Snoqualmie area is in a national forest. Beautiful country. I got the feeling everything he described is real - and the grandchildren have walked to this special place with him on several occaisions...Rolf's Hideout.

Emma, thanks for your reply. First, I want you to know how much I enjoy reading your posts. You are so logical, organized, and always informed. I just put that post out there to see what others thought. Now that you have given me so much new info, I am satisfied with your deduction. Thanks again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee
Back