LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO but I think the only trigger that sent bsl off was that he saw MS and had opportunity. I think by saying having a fight with his Gf, being drunk or his dad being sick just gives him excuse as to why he could do such a thing! I believe that his driving around isn't just a one off and would most likely be a hobby of his that he did quiet often.

SteveP, for a certain amount of time, a post you make will have an "edit" button if you are logged in -- you can choose that and be taken to a screen where you can make corrections, etc. After the edit button is gone, though, I'm not sure.

Once the 'edit' button is gone, you can still have your post deleted, but you have to ask the mods to do it for you. Just hit on the ALERT button in the upper corner [ !] and then ask them to DELETE.

I am still looking for that statement, because I do remember reading something along those lines.

But if you read the following comments, and put it all together it sort of implies the same thing:

Shunick’s bike was later found near Whiskey Bay with damage that would be considered consistent with having been hit from behind by a vehicle, according to Craft.
"Detectives were able to positively identify the truck, which followed behind Mickey in the video, as belonging to Lavergne," said Craft.
Police said they don’t expect any other arrests in the Shunick case as they believe Lavergne acted alone. They said he may have been out in his truck that night, looking to find a victim.
http://www.wwltv.com/news/Person-in-custody-in-missing-Lafayette-woman-case-161495455.html

ETA: Putting this all together, LE believed it was a Bump'N'Grab, and NOT a drunken accident. I am sure they have reason to believe so, like video of him trolling the area, and forensics which would show how the bike was damaged.

Just to clarify: I knew they'd said the damage was consistent with being hit by a vehicle -- just had never heard that LE stated they felt it was a "light hit". Thanks.

Just to clarify: I knew they'd said the damage was consistent with being hit by a vehicle -- just had never heard that LE stated they felt it was a "light hit". Thanks.
I don't recall reading that the bike sustained a "light hit", either, BW.

Missing Louisiana student Mickey Shunick's recovered bike suffered significant damage to the rear tire, including a bent rim, authorities said today.
"If her bike was hit by a vehicle...you may be able to tell from the damage whether it was intentional or not," he said. "[There] could be a wealth of information potentially gathered in addition to the location of the bike."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/missing-lo...rd-significant/story?id=16458312#.UAIg1fWDmSp

ETA: This statement was made at a presser on May 29th.

Speaking at a press briefing, though, Cpl. Paul Mouton was quick to point out that such assumptions are premature.

“The one thing that we don’t want to jump to conclusions and the thing that we didn’t want to release the damage to the bike initially,” Mouton said, “is because the first initial assumption would be that it was struck by a vehicle.”

“We do not know that for a hundred percent that that’s where that damage came from,” Mouton said.
Mouton said the wheel, which had a bent rim with the tire “dislodged from the rim itself,” was the only visible damage to the bike. It has been turned over to the Louisiana State Police Crime Lab to be looked over by forensics experts, Mouton said.

http://kpel965.com/mickey-shunick-p...bike-vehicles-of-interest-still-being-sought/

Supposing he hit her by accident? How does that turn into an apparent battle for her life, complete with wounds? If he was really so worried about getting into trouble, he would have either fled the scene and left her there, or dropped her anonymously at/near a hospital, IMO.

Why is being taken almost for granted that he was drunk? Has there been an indication that he has a drinking problem?

I just can't make the accident scenario work, other than perhaps he hit her harder than he planned.

But what if he hit her by accident - she's injured/alone - and now she's under his control to an extent - and his old feelings took over.

Possible, IMO.

Started as an accident but then developed into something worse.

The only reason it matters to me is that those would be two different levels of planning - one premeditated and more careful, and the other more on the fly. This would help shed better light on his movements and actions.

JMO but I think the only trigger that sent bsl off was that he saw MS and had opportunity. I think by saying having a fight with his Gf, being drunk or his dad being sick just gives him excuse as to why he could do such a thing! I believe that his driving around isn't just a one off and would most likely be a hobby of his that he did quiet often.

I personally do not equate 'trigger' with 'excuse'. There are certain mental illnesses and psychological conditions that can be dormant for a period of time before being triggered by a certain stressor. A stressor might include an illness, loss of a loved one, job loss, bankruptcy...just to name a few. Interesting to note that not all stressors are negative. Birth of a child, marriage..these too can cause significant stress, feelings of loss of control, etc.

I think most people realize when something is very wrong with their thought processes. Failure to seek help is a choice. Choosing to hurt another is a choice. We're all responsible for our choices. Hence, lies culpability. I will allow that some people in certain situations may have diminished culpability. Not in this case, mind you, but the gold digger who marries for money then offs the hubby may have more culpability than say, a wife who suffered physical and emotional abuse for years snapping and killing her husband in his sleep because she dare not confront him. Is she guilty? Absolutely. These are extreme examples, of course, but not all bad guys are created equal, I guess is my point. Just my two cents...

Very sorry to hear about your Dad. May he rest in peace.

Thank you Buckeye lady. He is very much missed and without answers my family will never be the same. I just hope and pray daily that she is at least found and laid to rest. I want to believe she is alive and well but when they released the first pic with the cut on his neck and then a week later releasing the report of him going to the er my heart then agreed with my mind. Poor Mickey :-( she was going places in life (and at times I feel it should of happened to someone like me) Its not fair but often times life is not for some. The good are taken young or without ryme or reason. Lord I hope they find her soon soon sooon! Amen

I agree. During Katrina, my family evacuated to the Lafayette area (the residents were very gracious, btw). To keep the young ones amused - and to unglue us adults from the TV coverage - we'd explore the area by car. Very little rain, as I recall.

Katrina wasn't bad, but Rita and Gustav did some damage

Don't know why I aksed! BSL was in jail! he didn't own it then!

I've done some sleuthing.
Anyone have any thoughts on this location?
It's off a dirt road that look more like a driveway.
search3.png
Leads to an area that dirt bikes etc could get to...
I put it in the brainstorm thread.
[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Wordy+Lane,+Church+Point,+LA&hl=en&ll=30.505151,-92.258549&spn=0.010409,0.021136&sll=30.505003,-92.257519&sspn=0.010409,0.021136&oq=Wordy+lane+&t=h&hnear=Wordy+Ln,+Church+Point,+St+Landry,+Louisiana+70525&z=16"]Wordy Lane, Church Point, LA - Google Maps[/ame]
There is a pond thing there...
search.jpg
I wonder if it has been checked!
It's 2.6 miles from his home.
maybe it's the farmers land?
I agree he didn't bury her with a stabbed hand.
moo

I think if it was much more than his air bag would have deployed
can't they go off in minor front end fender benders?
On Star? would get an alert~ if it was functional...?

When the air bag deploys can you still drive the vehicle?
I guess he would know how to reset it though...
moo

I personally do not equate 'trigger' with 'excuse'. There are certain mental illnesses and psychological conditions that can be dormant for a period of time before being triggered by a certain stressor. A stressor might include an illness, loss of a loved one, job loss, bankruptcy...just to name a few. Interesting to note that not all stressors are negative. Birth of a child, marriage..these too can cause significant stress, feelings of loss of control, etc.

I think most people realize when something is very wrong with their thought processes. Failure to seek help is a choice. Choosing to hurt another is a choice. We're all responsible for our choices. Hence, lies culpability. I will allow that some people in certain situations may have diminished culpability. Not in this case, mind you, but the gold digger who marries for money then offs the hubby may have more culpability than say, a wife who suffered physical and emotional abuse for years snapping and killing her husband in his sleep because she dare not confront him. Is she guilty? Absolutely. These are extreme examples, of course, but not all bad guys are created equal, I guess is my point. Just my two cents...

I understand what you are saying. But I also think that mental illnesses such as depression, psychosis etc have different stressors. Are you trying to say that the fight, his dad being sick could of been a stressor? To be honest I don't agree if anything was a stressor in bsl situation it was him being convicted and locked up for his 1999 crime.

I don't recall reading that the bike sustained a "light hit", either, BW.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/missing-lo...rd-significant/story?id=16458312#.UAIg1fWDmSp

ETA: This statement was made at a presser on May 29th.

http://kpel965.com/mickey-shunick-p...bike-vehicles-of-interest-still-being-sought/

Chief Craft said at the press conference on July 6th, "A: Uhm, the bike was consistent – the rear rim was consistent with being struck by a vehicle and …"

A reporter cut him off before he could finish.

But what if he hit her by accident - she's injured/alone - and now she's under his control to an extent - and his old feelings took over.

Possible, IMO.

The only reason it matters to me is that those would be two different levels of planning - one premeditated and more careful, and the other more on the fly. This would help shed better light on his movements and actions.
HI CF.
FWIW both scenarios would still come under the heading legally of pre-meditated because he had time to change his mind. Pre meditation can be all of a few seconds.

I think if it was much more than his air bag would have deployed
can't they go off in minor front end fender benders?
On Star? would get an alert~ if it was functional...?

When the air bag deploys can you still drive the vehicle?
I guess he would know how to reset it though...
moo

An airbag sensor relies on a more solid hit and transfer of inertia than would be provided when hitting a bike. IMO it's vanishingly unlikely that the airbag would have deployed.

A kid T-boned me and totaled my car in Oct. doing 30 mph and just due to a slight downward deflection of his bumper that lessened the horizontal force, his airbags didn't deploy.

HI CF.
FWIW both scenarios would still come under the heading legally of pre-meditated because he had time to change his mind. Pre meditation can be all of a few seconds.

Hey yourself,, :)

Yes, legally speaking, you're right. I was thinking in terms of his planning this for a week or month or year and having certain actions preplanned, vs. having 5 minutes to plan after he got her in his truck

- I believe Mickey fought tremendously at the kidnapping.
- I believe due to BSLs injuries he couldn't physically throw Mickey or her bike far for disposal. I don't think he could use a shovel for digging for some time.

*snipped*

- I believe he went home and bathed after the kidnapping to remove mace and/or blood....

Perhaps he was still bleeding and first went to WB to ditch the bike (at least)...and there's traces of his blood. Outside chance, to be sure, due to rain. But possible.

Heading home tomorrow, after 5 days of pretty much wall-to-wall meetings and events.

Looks like there's a new mugshot and new info regarding BSL's injuries. Did I miss anything major over the last few days?

Possible, IMO.

Even if it was an accidental hit and he was taking her home or whatever
then changed his mind... he had a chance to do the right thing.

My opinion is that he duped her. HE KNEW THE RULES!:jail:

I understand what you are saying. But I also think that mental illnesses such as depression, psychosis etc have different stressors. Are you trying to say that the fight, his dad being sick could of been a stressor? To be honest I don't agree if anything was a stressor in bsl situation it was him being convicted and locked up for his 1999 crime.
Does this make sense?

"ESCAPING & AVOIDING HIGH RISK SITUATIONS"
for a Violent sexual offender

"WHAT IS A CUE"?
* "Car accident

HOW NOT TO MAKE EVENTS TURN INTO TRIGGERS
*"Don't drive when upset."

"Note: These Cues, Triggers & High Risk Factors/Situations are crucial to your understanding of your offending cycle."

*"Cruising in car with no particular destination, frequent drives alone"
*"Carelessness in driving, breaking minor laws"

Destruction Warning Line (DeW Line)
*"hearing the pleadings of a victim" :what: :(

http://stopthehurt.bravehost.com/hrf.htm

Sounds like it's plausable...:moo:

Heading home tomorrow, after 5 days of pretty much wall-to-wall meetings and events.

Looks like there's a new mugshot and new info regarding BSL's injuries. Did I miss anything major over the last few days?

You heard about his "mugging" at a NOLA gas station on May 19, and his subsequent questioning by NOPD and Jefferson Parish cops?

His stepdad's illness could be a possible stressor, if he felt a connection to him. Or perhaps the stressor might be trying to keep up 'normal' appearances in his social life (engagement, impending stepparenting). Reconnecting with biological mother & sister...do we know when that happened? Who knows what stressors -- if any -- BSL might have experienced.

Again, I don't think these are excuses, but I do think it's worth exploring. The more we know about mental illnesses, the better the treatment. The more we know about psychotic behavior, the better the profiling tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody