LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
nosyparker, the American public is a very valuable tool in missing persons investigations. To keep info close to the vest is squandering this resource and only leads to more precious innocent victim's lives lost & mounting cold cases.

Although there are other reasons for the 'close to the vest strategy', the primary reason is for the prosecution of the perp once identified and arrested. The problem is that they seldom are.

One only has to consider the 100,000+ missing persons cold cases across the US, to conclude that the 'close to the vest/silence & missinformation strategy' by LE used in the past is antiquated and ineffective..
As in the Mickey Schunick investigation, the perp/s remain at large, while empowering them, placing her at risk, as well as jeopardizing the safety of the entire community.

Not to mention LPD has already said this is the biggest investigation this parish has ever seen. And it's true. I think its a matter of small town LE trying to handle this massive investigation while in the midst of the big internal investigation going on and they just don't know how to handle things properly. The strategy taken, while valid once, is no longer the method that should be used to solve crimes...period. It's 2012. This is the technology and information age. It should be shared and utilized to it's maximum potential. We are the eyes and ears and the boots on the ground and need to be kept informed.

Not to mention LPD has already said this is the biggest investigation this parish has ever seen. And it's true. I think its a matter of small town LE trying to handle this massive investigation while in the midst of the big internal investigation going on and they just don't know how to handle things properly. The strategy taken, while valid once, is no longer the method that should be used to solve crimes...period. It's 2012. This is the technology and information age. It should be shared and utilized to it's maximum potential. We are the eyes and ears and the boots on the ground and need to be kept informed.

Retired from Atlanta FD & we had a saying, 'the horses have been long gone, but the horse manure lingers'.. meaning old ways are very difficult to change..

I totally agree with this and also agree with Foxfire's post. Thanks ACI for all you have done to try to help.

P.S. My opinion has always been (for any missing case)....lets find the person first ASAP, and then the cards will fall into place for a proper conviction of any perp(s). Think about the wealth of evidence that can be obtained once someone is found first. IMO, finding the person first should always be the main priority, and the public can be a very valuable resource in helping to find someone. Here is even another angle of it.....For the cases that drag on + on + on + on, and if you could only have 1 choice....would you rather find the missing person (OR) have a conviction and never find the person. Surely, we want BOTH, but the MAIN priority is finding the person (for many reasons, including getting more potential evidence).
Sorry, end-rant.

JMO of course.

Oh, Lordy. There isn't a bike under the truck!

The "light" appears in the exact same location in two pictures, the truck facing the intersection and the truck facing St. Landry. Does anyone really believe that a truck ran over Mickey, or her bike, and dragged her up and down the road? And no one noticed?

Snipped by me & BBM

Sorry but I will say, yes, I do believe it is possible. Many people are not very observant of what goes on around them. IMO, I am not ready to discount the theory, however, I don't believe she was dragged "up and down the road" as you mention, I think you are simply exaggerating a bit for effect?
But yes, I certainly believe Mickey was hit by a vehicle, yes! And I do believe it is possible no one noticed.
I also believe, in theory, that it could be possible that the truck in front of circle K could have passed the camera first and then MS passed the camera, and then truck backed up for some reason and ran over MS while going in reverse.

120 miles away is not far from your family these days. We no longer use horse & buggy to travel. Just because someone wants to move elsewhere doesn't mean they want to get away from those they love. It does say to me that MS realizes there is a WHOLE world out there besides Lafayette and she is curious about it, adventurous and feels confident enough about herself that she could
manage to live away from her parents.
I go home to Nola to make groceries if I can't find what I need in Lafayette & come back the same day, long trip, but I'm picky in food matters. And as for 'man power' v manpower, my people are from New Iberia, they don't be knowin, cher.

Snipped by me & BBM

Sorry but I will say, yes, I do believe it is possible. Many people are not very observant of what goes on around them. IMO, I am not ready to discount the theory, however, I don't believe she was dragged "up and down the road" as you mention, I think you are simply exaggerating a bit for effect?
But yes, I certainly believe Mickey was hit by a vehicle, yes! And I do believe it is possible no one noticed.
I also believe, in theory, that it could be possible that the truck in front of circle K could have passed the camera first and then MS passed the camera, and then truck backed up for some reason and ran over MS while going in reverse.

No, I am not exaggerating at all! If the light (which I believe is a reflection) is under BOTH photos, then the bike, or Mickry, or both, would have had to have been dragged, at least far enough for the truck to turn around and head in the opposite direction.

I understand that we have very little to sleuth right now, but I don't see how all this conjecture about something LE has said didn't happen can help at all. It is a distraction from the facts.

Begging your forgiveness for not searching back through the thread but with 3 computers in front of me with 6 spreadsheets open I have not had time to check......but...what came of the towed/hauled WT with LE cars following yesterday?

Is the FBI the lead on this? Iirc, they were brought in early on this, no?

Begging your forgiveness for not searching back through the thread but with 3 computers in front of me with 6 spreadsheets open I have not had time to check......but...what came of the towed/hauled WT with LE cars following yesterday?

Nothing!

I don't know if anyone else posted about this, but yesterday I was told by 2 different people that there were a large number of LE at the old OLOL hospital yesterday. One told me at 1:15 pm there were about 15 vehicles there near the emergency room entrance with what looked like LPD, sherrifs, and haz-mat. Another person told me at 4 pm there were still a lot of LE there and they weren't searching the streets, they were right up next to the hospital. Maybe they were doing a more intensive search of the hospital for clues? Just thought I'd pass that along...Let's Find Mickey!!!!

Snipped by me & BBM

Still operating under the "alleged" bent rear rim story..MS would have to have been riding her Bike backward...uh no....

Retired from Atlanta FD & we had a saying, 'the horses have been long gone, but the horse manure lingers'.. meaning old ways are very difficult to change..

You're right about that. I run into it a lot with older PI's too. Some are still running around taking pictures and filming with old 8mm cameras, and not utilizing the wealth of information the internet has to offer and all the technology available to us. There's no reason for it. And in a case like this, there no excuse for it. Adapt or retire. Hell, the Lafayette courthouse only recently got a good database for the public to look up records. Some courthouses still don't even have that, and records have to be looked up in the books BY HAND. And these are the systems in place for finding loved ones when they go missing. I personally don't think there's any excuse whatsoever for that.

"Information is the oxygen of the modern age. It seeps through the walls topped by barbed wire, it wafts across the electrified borders." -R.R

It should never be withheld

Is the FBI the lead on this? Iirc, they were brought in early on this, no?

LPD is lead. FBI was "assisting" and lending "resources" which could simply mean one lab tech and a forensics kit. But LPD is the lead agency

The injury the horse had, a sliced nostril sounds horrible! Would like to know how long before MS went missing this happened? Reminds me of a scene from a Godfather movie. Would also wonder if it wasn't an accidental injury, was it reported to police?

ACI, nothing on the two "suspects" Abdella mentioned?

No, I am not exaggerating at all! If the light (which I believe is a reflection) is under BOTH photos, then the bike, or Mickry, or both, would have had to have been dragged, at least far enough for the truck to turn around and head in the opposite direction.

I understand that we have very little to sleuth right now, but I don't see how all this conjecture about something LE has said didn't happen can help at all. It is a distraction from the facts.

BBM: I am not sure exactly what you are referring to that LE said didn't happen. Please elaborate.
You had asked in your post if anyone really believed that it could, and I answered your question. It is sure NOT to be a popular answer, but it is my opinion only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne