LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So LE actually said they think the white truck hit her? I don't remember that coming from any MSM or LE sources-just internet folks like us throwing around theories. Do we have links to that?

I wonder if LE will release something new on the month or 30 days missing mark.

As frustrating as it may be to us that LE is not sharing what they have on this case, I believe it matters not to them what any of us feel is "necessary". We aren't entitled to releases updating us on the case. At this point we are simply in the dark as to what they have, what leads they may be investigating, or what confirmation or suspect they may already have.

It is quite possible that if they release information publicly it would jeopardize their case.

There has been no statement from LE indicating the white truck has been 'cleared', so I would assume it has not. They did come forward and say the other two vehicles were not VOI's, so I would assume they are not.

There has been much speculation here about things that are seen by one person and not seen by others in some of the pictures released by LE and the fact is there is no way for us to tell one way or the other. There certainly is no consensus on the matter. However, there has been nothing at all said by LE regarding the black car parked on Versailles.

Personally, I feel that the police work for us, the community...to serve and protect. I think that they need to let the community know what they recommend at this time as far as safety protocols. Have they made any suggestions or is everyone left to speculate? Not good, in my opinion and I would be demanding more from them. They had a major incident or incidences and it needs to be addressed i.e. curfews, etc.

Thanks~ I believe the band M.S. went see was, Dr. Michael White part of the Jazz @ the Center Series, which has a connection with Treme' as does P.S. Maybe reason enough for people to travel from N.O. to Lafayette, especially since a well known magazine was there..............
Just a thought..................

I don't think that was it. I can't remember the name of the band, though.

Personally, I feel that the police work for us, the community...to serve and protect. I think that they need to let the community know what they recommend at this time as far as safety protocols. Have they made any suggestions or is everyone left to speculate? Not good, in my opinion and I would be demanding more from them. They had a major incident or incidences and it needs to be addressed i.e. curfews, etc.

From all I can gather, yes it does appear that we are left to speculate. Their number one job is finding whoever is responsible for Mickey's disappearance and I suppose it's possible that they trust we know enough about safety protocols to do our best to keep ourselves safe.

You mention curfews. How big do you like your government? Are you suggesting that LE should implement some sort of mandatory curfew in town? If yes, what time should it start and for how long should it continue? What if they catch whoever did this? Should we then assume we are safe or should there just be a standing curfew in the event that another bad guy comes along?

I don't think that was it. I can't remember the name of the band, though.

I'd always heard it was Feu Follet but after doing some searching just now it looks like they might have played there the night before, on the 17th, so now I am unsure as to who was playing that night.

This is what I have from the dark car picture. I contrasted the figure on the right. It looks more like someone either leaning to the car or he/she looks about to move.

6Mickey-Shunick-Versailles.png

In the second picture, I sharpened the bottom portion of Mickey's leg. She seems to be leaning to the right but looking to the left where the bright light is. If this is the case, it might explain, if indeed the figure on the right is a person, why he/she might appear to be moving towards the road.
1Mickey-Shunick-Versailles-1.png

It's very hard to work with these pictures because the image quality is poor. Another factor is that Mickey is very fair with light blonde hair. You would know the images of her are in fairly bright light so there is not a lot of contrast.

That first one is so creepy. The second one shows what a mess these pics are and how enhancement makes it look like stuff is there that isn't. In the 2nd pic, it's as if something emerges from the street around the bottom of her bike - just like the bike under the truck stuff. I also cannot, no matter how the pics are manipulated, make Mickey out clearly. Very frustrating but I refrain from trying to imagine or fill in what isn't clear. I feel pretty certain that a real professional actually could determine more of what's going one. I mentioned Village Labs before and I'm almost tempted to send them the pics and see if they'd look at them.

LE's job is to protect and serve the community that pays the taxes to pay their salaries. They do owe the public something, if only a few words every now and then. People are scared when things like this happen, seemingly random crimes, someone plucked off the street and out of existence. No one is saying they should jeopardize the investigation-a statement once a week would hardly do that, just to reassure the community that they are doing everything possible.

Yes, we can assume that, hopefully, but people still like, and need, to hear from their officials. I have followed far too many cases where LE acts far too secretive and then the cases end up cold and without suspects or conclusions. Sierra's case is not the norm, IMO (LE working totally behind the scenes and coming thru with an arrest); it is the exception for these types of cases.

JMO

From all I can gather, yes it does appear that we are left to speculate. Their number one job is finding whoever is responsible for Mickey's disappearance and I suppose it's possible that they trust we know enough about safety protocols to do our best to keep ourselves safe.

You mention curfews. How big do you like your government? Are you suggesting that LE should implement some sort of mandatory curfew in town? If yes, what time should it start and for how long should it continue? What if they catch whoever did this? Should we then assume we are safe or should there just be a standing curfew in the event that another bad guy comes along?

Well, since they have brought in FBI for assistance, perhaps they may want to at least discuss safety protcols, some of which could be garnered from profiling and/or DNA. The curfew thing was simply one example. How big do I like my government you ask---enough to know that the salary of those getting paid to protect is actually money well spent and efforts are not spent too much on cat-fighting amongst themselves.
I am not a cop but I think they (NOT ME) bear the responsibility of communicating to their citizens of Lafayette. No? As posted, the college kids and women are pretty scared right now and rightfully so.

I agree wholeheartedly that LE should make some sort of statement to the public, if nothing more than 'we're working tirelessly on incoming tips and leads'. Something would be appropriate. I dislike the extended silence. My previous statements don't contradict this.

So LE actually said they think the white truck hit her? I don't remember that coming from any MSM or LE sources-just internet folks like us throwing around theories. Do we have links to that?

I wonder if LE will release something new on the month or 30 days missing mark.

LE said they didn't want to release info about the bike damage because of the assumptions it was hit and they weren't 100% sure it was.

Mom, Nancy Rowe, sad "we think somebody had an accident and maybe hit her bike"

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation...Louisiana-student-Michaela-Shunick/55253346/1

So basically LE didn't say the white truck hit her then? They didn't put forth any theory in that article.

How sad reading her family's statements asking for her to be dropped off :(

Just wanted to post that since Mickey has disappeared, college aged kids in Lafayette, especially girls, are scared. Our daughter, her best friend, and some of their other friends are leaving Lafayette. Some might say it's an over reaction but they went out last weekend and were watching each other like hawks. They said the anxiety is just too high. Sad and I realize that this does not happen often but they, like we, are saying that there is not enough information and their trust levels of strangers is zero. They are always looking over their shoulders. Our daughter and her friends are devastated by Mickey's disappearance even though they don't know her.

Sad to say, but these days, no place is safe. Big cities, small cities, small towns, middle of the country, it doesn't matter. Unfortunately, these things happen everywhere.

I'm a long way from Louisiana and I am totally disgusted with LPD. There's NO EXCUSE for their failure to have regular press conferences. NONE! I don't think they're playing anything close to the vest. I don't think they have squat. If that's the case, they really need to say so and enlist the eyes and ears of the public.

I'm a long way from Louisiana and I am totally disgusted with LPD. There's NO EXCUSE for their failure to have regular press conferences. NONE! I don't think they're playing anything close to the vest. I don't think they have squat. If that's the case, they really say so and enlist the eyes and ears of the public.

What I can't figure out is why was FBI in Lafayette and on the case almost immediately. A kidnapping would be the most likely explanation but at that point how could they assume it was an kidnapping -- enough to justify involving FBI? That's why I believe they know more than ...well, bupkis.

That first one is so creepy. The second one shows what a mess these pics are and how enhancement makes it look like stuff is there that isn't. In the 2nd pic, it's as if something emerges from the street around the bottom of her bike - just like the bike under the truck stuff. I also cannot, no matter how the pics are manipulated, make Mickey out clearly. Very frustrating but I refrain from trying to imagine or fill in what isn't clear. I feel pretty certain that a real professional actually could determine more of what's going one. I mentioned Village Labs before and I'm almost tempted to send them the pics and see if they'd look at them.

I agree. Even with the photo editing open, it's very hard to differentiate with all of the shades on black and white. Some things do "appear" to be a bit clearer and that's why it looks like Mickey is turned towards the brightly lit area. The problem is what appears to her nose might be a white pixel. The reason she is so hard to make out is because she's so fair and she's in bright light. It's equally hard with the person near the car, if it even is a person, because that part of the image is in shadow. Then her bike for some reason has the handle bars very dark but the bike's tires are barely visible.

I agree wholeheartedly that LE should make some sort of statement to the public, if nothing more than 'we're working tirelessly on incoming tips and leads'. Something would be appropriate. I dislike the extended silence. My previous statements don't contradict this.

Exactly. I would start with a big white board showing each pic or each vehicle - hooptie, both truck pics at St Landry and Uni, the truck on Uni, the blur on Uni, and the car on Versailles. I would give a thorough account of each - hooptie and truck on Uni, owners found and vehicles cleared. Trucks at Circle K - are they are the same or aren't they. Blur - can't make it out. Car in front of bank - ??????? - etc. Then I would move on to discussing if they've questioned everyone who was at Artmosphere, Circle K, school, work, wherever. Then talk about where exactly dogs have searched. Then let the public know if they've got some stuff they can't disclose. Then address what they need from the public, etc, etc, etc. HOW HARD IS THAT? What do these people need, a public relations firm? This is ridiculous.

What I can't figure out is why was FBI in Lafayette and on the case almost immediately. A kidnapping would be the most likely explanation but at that point how could they assume it was an kidnapping -- enough to justify involving FBI? That's why I believe they know more than ...well, bupkis.

Bupkis?

Actually, my bf's mom works at the main branch of Midsouth (which is right by Ryan) and the FBI have an office in there for some reason. Not sure what the reason is...but they were already here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aurorabae