LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading (especially on the Description tab) it is astonishing. But, I know what I've experienced and friends/family have, so this leads me to believe there is much more going on in the bad neighborhoods that you'd think, especially looking at the shaded areas on the map. My area is dark blue. Doesn't mean things are perfect of course, but it does show which areas are "safer" than others.

Yeah, it seems to vary from neighborhood to neighborhood. It's a pity when stuff changed so drastically from street to street. Really makes it seem like there are haves and have nots living side by side. Makes me sad.

totally unrelated but what's the name of the restaurant in Lafayette with the huge fake alligator at the door and the dance room attached? I want to go there this weekend and cannot remember the name!

I just wonder what the purpose is of hammering into everyone's heads how unsafe it is there? I mean, we aren't asking if WE should or shouldn't go riding around at 2am on our bikes. It's not going to solve the case if every Lou-wee-zee-anian agrees that we live in a crime filled, unsafe place, right?

I guess there's just nothing else to talk about in regards to this case. IDK but it seems seriously pointless.

Personally, there is no intent to hammer. When I moved here, everyone told me how wonderfully safe Lafayette is. The effect was that I walked around calmly all over the place including near that one Walmart. Then I did some research and was stunned at the mismatch between what I was told by natives and the actual situation. The natives were being honest based on the personal experience but a LOT OF **** goes on in Lafayette. Initially I felt betrayed. But then I thought it had more to do with ignorance and that ain't a sin. A lot of petty stuff, and a lot of rapes etc. It doesn't solve THIS case to talk about that. But I was someone like Mickey who felt safe. And now knowing what I know (that violent crime is HIGHER THAN NATIONAL AVERAGE) I would definitely not walk around at night alone. It seems somewhat relevant and to me, there seems to be some purpose in letting people know. I've come across almost nobody who knows this. Or who knows that there are something like 200,000 homeless children in Louisiana. The only thing I've seen that people know is that Baton Rouge is bad for human traficking. I think the reason that people know that is that people are not shutting up about it. I don't know if you want me to keep quiet, but I wanted to make sure to explain where I am coming from. These things are not meant in a personal way. I think crime stats don't reflect on the people. They reflect on socioeconomics. I love Lafayette so far, it's not meant in an offensive way when I bring up the crime stats.

I just wonder what the purpose is of hammering into everyone's heads how unsafe it is there? I mean, we aren't asking if WE should or shouldn't go riding around at 2am on our bikes. It's not going to solve the case if every Lou-wee-zee-anian agrees that we live in a crime filled, unsafe place, right?

I guess there's just nothing else to talk about in regards to this case. IDK but it seems seriously pointless.

I am going to state for the last time what my purpose was for mentioning my *opinion* of what the area looked like around MS's bike route-----my *observation* was that a young woman riding in that area from the looks of things was a very risky action. Perhaps people feel (and apparently some here have deep emotional attachments to their town of Lafayette) that this area (around the saint streets) isn't risky and I disagree based on observation.

Purpose--->just to ask everyone in the area to be careful, especially since there has been little initiative from the L.E. to make statements about protection, observations, etc. to the citizens.

It's funny how meth, crack, and gangs can change a "landscape" of a city quickly.....

totally unrelated but what's the name of the restaurant in Lafayette with the huge fake alligator at the door and the dance room attached? I want to go there this weekend and cannot remember the name!

Randols on Kaliste Saloom

but I think Prejeans on the Evangeline Thruway has one also

when LE quit giving us new information.:banghead:

WHY is this thread about everything else EXCEPT LA LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #27

PLEASE keep the focus on FINDING MICKEY SHUNICK!!!

These statistics can be misleading, though. Your post doesn't separate violent crime from property crimes, which are annoying, but not necessarily dangerous. Further, how much of that crime is random and how much can be attributed to domestic abuse, drug crime, etc.?? I think how people feel in their community is a better measure of its safety than a number.

The crime rate that I gave included the following areas of crime: Murder, Rape, Robberies, Assaults, Burglaries, Thefts, Auto Thefts, and and Arson.

Another of my "eccentricities"...I check the back seat before I get in the car. I don't know why, because someone could take advantage of that second when my attention is focused on what's in the car instead of what's going on around me outside the car, but there you have it. I also check in all the closets and the shower as soon as I walk in the house. None of these behaviors has ever been tangibly rewarded, but I keep checking.

I never ever leave my car doors unlocked and lock it as soon as I get in. Am rarely out alone after dark, but I will keep my eyes on the underside of the car just in case someone plans to grab my ankles!

I just don't see how this is helping us find Mickey......

Now 12 days (and counting) since last LPD update on their Shunick page.

Exactly how not to keep the public involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faithfülly