LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I had one when the traffic camera caught me making a right-turn on red after a "California stop." i just wrote a check today for $480 + $57 for traffic school. First ticket in my whole life.
License plate covers, etc. are illegal in California. Just sayin'....
I haven't heard that since I left the Bay Area! I flunked my first california drivers' test b/c I didn't 'stop when the pedestrian appeared on the street' I just slowed down, Louisiana style.

Okay, peeps are missing the broad picture of my post. A lot of choices remain up to the individual and their personal values I guess. My husband missed stuff too. Usually when he did it was unavoidable but if he was in town, short of an emergency, he'd come to whatever it was to support his kid. He retired a full colonel who had a lot of responsibility at all times.

That said, if there are pressing situations going on in real time they may have to disappoint the family but sometimes they choose to and say it was the Army standing in the way or whatever. Over time I began to recognize soldiers who used that excuse because I knew their wives and they'd complain to me about it. Their husband never asked and if he did, he'd probably been given time off. Geesh.

The way I read it was he was planning on being there and was home at 2am the day of his son's graduation. He got called in the middle of the night to go. So, I think he tried to be there. My husband works for the forest service putting out forest fires, saving homes and lives by dropping fire retardant by airplane. Because fire season starts in February to October, he missed all five of our son's high school graduations. Thank GOODNESS for yahoo messenger, Skype, and Facetime. :)

Saying someone appears mentally unstable is not the same as saying someone is mentally ill. For example, you may say a person who is confused and irritable is mentally unstable. That does not mean they are mentally ill.
Low blood sugar, anemia, carbon monoxide poisoning,alcohol withdrawal,swelling of the brain, a concussion,subarachnoid bleeding,a skull fracture, low salt in body fluids,or drug allergies can all cause confusion and agitation. They are all considered physical illnesses.
Unless the POI told A. C. I that they have a mental
illness or somehow A.C.I obtained medical records on the person we don't know that the person has a mental illness. We just know that A.C. I's perception of the person was that they were mentally unstable. That could mean many things to different people. What does that mean? To one person someone who dresses bizarrely in mismatched clothes all the time may be deemed mentally unstable. In reality maybe the person is color blind and can't tell that their clothes don't match.

I don't believe I ever referred to him as mentally ill. Just that based on my observations he appeared to be unstable and "a little off." I did state however that mental illness runs in the family.

Umm... It's not like Mr. Shunick decided to go fishing instead or anything...

I don't believe I ever referred to him as mentally ill. Just that based on my observations he appeared to be unstable and "a little off." I did state however that mental illness runs in the family.

Yep! Thread #26 Post 607 "No past criminal record. Mental illness in the family. Lost a child similar to Mickeys age. Went missing and wasnt found for months (Guilty party was caught)" ACI

ETA: You were right, you never said the POI had a mental illness.

:moo:
And my point was that not all military jobs are created equal. That was your experience..I was giving mine. I don't discount your experience at all, but there are certainly are other people in the military that didn't have that same experience. My husband is at every.single.thing he can be at and he has missed things when not deployed and it wasn't because he didn't care or used the army as an excuse ( I know you didn't say that I just feel like I have to point that out for some reason because even when not deployed he has missed important events that he very much wanted to be at). I did edit to say I wasn't trying to argue, but give another viewpoint because all military jobs are not the same and I assume all oil are not as well.

Agreed! Not all jobs military or civilian are created equal and not all pay grades either. Example: Does a commander have to come in at 2am because the gate guard needs to access the computer and reset the scanners that went down? No, the A1C who is in charge of the program does. Also, my husband's job hours and deployments does not ruin his family, same goes for truckers, oil feild workers, first responders and any one else called away at those important life moments. What is important to the families and what they will remember is the quality of time the parents spend with them when they are home...not the social expectations of a ceremony. Jmo... Btw.. Good luck on the PCS (we are a few months from being done and homesteading...no more moves for a while :rocker:) And now...going back to the search for MS.

I have a son who works in a "Distribution Center" - these are jobs that are very hard to get and the company will fire employees for various reasons. Shortly after he was hired, he was in a very bad car accident - he had stitches in his head and a concussion. His job was to work on a forklift which went several stories up. He was released from the ER very early on a Sunday morning and had to go to work on Monday. He would have lost his job otherwise. He has gone to work with all kinds of illnesses. Now that he has been there for many years and has an established work history, they are a little more lenient and use a "point" system. You are allowed so many points for calling off work (not counting vacations), but if you point out, you are gone. There are plenty of others wanting a job there.

So I guess I understand having to miss important events. It happens in various lines of work - my LE family members run across this often as do the 2 nurses who are in my family. So, I totally get that Mickey's dad may not have been able to make it to a graduation. I imagine he was planning on doing something special with his son to celebrate.

Ok not trying to be rude to anyone but I really don't see any need to continue the discussion about Mr. Shunick having to go to work--let's remember to be respectful to the family. We've established that some understand the industry, others don't, some think graduation is important, others don't. At this time, there is nothing that says his going to work had anything to do with Mickey's dissapearance.

I do wish we had something else to discuss. But like I said earlier, Team Let's Find Mickey has been silent all day :(

Ok not trying to be rude to anyone but I really don't see any need to continue the discussion about Mr. Shunick having to go to work--let's remember to be respectful to the family. We've established that some understand the industry, others don't, some think graduation is important, others don't. At this time, there is nothing that says his going to work had anything to do with Mickey's dissapearance.

I do wish we had something else to discuss. But like I said earlier, Team Let's Find Mickey has been silent all day :(

OK :) Changing the subject sounds like a good idea!!

While I understand your suggestion, ACI does not seem to be the type to just take something at face value. His job depends on gut instincts backed by facts.

LA

A.C.I did not state the POI had a mental illness.
He stated the POI was mentally unstable.

That's fact.

I don't understand why people can't see the difference.
Someone else came along and falsely stated A. C. I said the POI was mentally ill and I am saying that A.C.I did not claim the person had a mental illness.

I am trying to defend A. C. I 's reputation because someone is twisting what was said and attributing it to A. C. I.

So - ACI - since things have been quiet today, do you believe there is news breaking or new leads?

If I'm not mistaken, the carnival had only just started getting to town that weekend, that not many people were there at all Friday night (the fair started the next weekend). My SIL said they went there with fliers and talked to some of the people who worked with the carnival. I have to assume LE talked to them as well, especially since they were in town for nearly 2 weeks.

If I'm not mistaken, the carnival had only just started getting to town that weekend, that not many people were there at all Friday night (the fair started the next weekend). My SIL said they went there with fliers and talked to some of the people who worked with the carnival. I have to assume LE talked to them as well, especially since they were in town for nearly 2 weeks.

Did you notice that they were scheduled to start in Mobile on June 7th, right after b. wood disappeared?

So - ACI - since things have been quiet today, do you believe there is news breaking or new leads?

No breaking news or anything. But there are still many very viable leads to look into. The case is far from running cold. There are still plenty of avenues to check out.

Did you notice that they were scheduled to start in Mobile on June 7th, right after b. wood disappeared?

whoa, that's pretty bizarre. I don't know too much about her case, is it her uncle who committed suicide?

I think it might be important, because some employees from the carnival would have been rolling into town that night. And they had some free time, because it was not being set up yet.

Anyone know why 2 of these photos are zoomed in and the one of MS on the bike is not. I just noticed the bush in the forefront of the MS pick but it is not there in the other 2 pictures, why would that be?

If we could see the orignial pic-sometimes less is more!

No breaking news or anything. But there are still many very viable leads to look into. The case is far from running cold. There are still plenty of avenues to check out.

I am very happy to hear this. It seems some of us are getting a bit jumpy. ;)

LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member