LA LA - Shane Fell, 36, Marrero, 9 June 2011 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had a rollover accident, I'm thinking it would take me a while, 10-15 mins or more to compose myself (and thank God for surviving the accident) and be able to speak to someone on the phone. I think Shane sat for a little bit before he actually spoke to Brett. IMO

How well traveled is River Road at that time of night and that day of the week?

Is it possible that other cars passed the accident earlier and didn't report it for what ever reason? (no cellphone, thought someone else called it in, didn't want to get involved, etc)

It's also being speculated by several here, including myself, that whatever the circumstances, there quite possibly was another vehicle involved. But if so, why is it that Shane reported it to Brett as being specifically a one vehicle accident ? Why say that if it wasn't true ? Threat , coercion ?
<rsbm>

I don't recall that Shane referred to a "one vehicle accident".

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA LA - Shane Fell, 36, Marrero, 9 June 2011

His brother says he talked with Shane shortly after he failed to make the turn on a winding stretch of River Road locals call "dead man's curve," near the old Celotex factory.

"I asked him if he was okay and he told me he was involved in a car accident," said Brett Fell. "He told me his car flipped over.

First paragraph seems to be reporter's summary/wording. Second paragraph is the direct quote attributed to Brett .. that he was "involved in a car accident ... flipped over".

I wonder if those were Shane's precise words .. might only be Brett's summation of the convo. Semantics here, but if that was me, I would not refer to it as a car accident ... I would simply say "omg, I missed the turn and flipped my car".

Bringing this over for discussion...
Fantastic work sillybilly!!

REVISED TIMELINE - JUNE 18 2014

Notes from JPSO report in green font
Notes from LA State Crash Report in blue font
Notes from all other sources in black font

ANY CHANGES OR ADDITIONS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW

June 9 2011

6:00 pm Shane got gas at a nearby gas station; he then picked up Popeye&#8217;s for supper

7:00 pm Shane met Brett at Rum Runners daiquiri shop (1670 Barateria Blvd), They shot some pool, and Shane bought a round for the pool team. Shane himself had about 6 beers and 1 shot the entire time he was there.

June 10, 2011

June 10 2011 noted as Date of Crash (as per LA State Crash Report)

12:20am approx. time Brett and Shane leave the bar in separate cars

12:20-12:45am Shane lived east of Barateria, but the accident occurred west of Barateria, on River Road between Marrero Rd and Klein St

12:45-12:50am Brett called Shane. Shane said he was in accident. They spoke for about 3 minutes; Shane called Brett back &#8220;a short time later&#8221; to make sure Brett was on his way

12:48am JPSO Missing Person report says Shane was seen at the intersection of the crash (incorrectly stated as River Rd and Barataria Blvd)

12:45 &#8211; 12:58am A young couple stopped and asked Shane if they could help. He said family is on the way

???? (time unknown) Pipe yard people saw PT Cruiser stop and turn by Shane; LE say they couldn't find those people to talk to. In youtube video Brett made, he says there were approx 11 cars, including a maroon PT Cruiser

12:58am Passerby called 911 to report the accident.

00:58:48 AL1 E911Phne: ___________E911Add: 249 KLEIN LN - SE SECT, WF E911Subs: SPRINT NEXTEL; CDMA E911Srce:WPH2 AltLong: 90.117416 Alt Latitude 29.903423

00:58:48 CREATE Location: RIVER RD/BARATARIA BLVD, MA Type 201 DAREA;MHF Area: 8002 TypeDesc: A Injury LocDesc: <5399/ 395> Priority: 6 Class: F:I Agency: MHF LocType: H

00:58:48 ALTGEO GeoLong: 90.117416 GeoLat: 29.903423

00:58:48 ALTGEO 90.117416 GeoLat 29.903423 ClosestAdd: 8347 RIVER RD AddDesc: 28 ft NW ClosestInt: RIVER RD / UNKNOWN InterDesc: 2078 ft W Area1:3101 Area2:8704 Area3:3101

12:58am At some point after the 911 caller had arrived at the scene, a Westwego fireman arrived on scene and broke the passenger window of the car.

1:00 JPSO info entered

01:00:13 ENTRY Comment: CAR FLIPPED OVER ON RIVER RD &#8230; PONTIAC SEDAN &#8230; UNK EXTENT OF INJ&#8217;S, WILL ADV LSP

01:00:13 ASSOC Service P Event: #J111610035 Type: 201 Agency: JP

01:00:13 ASSOC Service E Event: #H110032259 Type: 201 Agency: JH

01:00:13 PREMIS Comment: PPR

01:00:15 NOMORE

01:00:16 NFPREM

1:01 JPSO dispatch

01:01am Time

01:01am Rescue unit called

1:02 JPSO enroute

01:05am Rescue unit arrived on scene (Fire Department: Marrero-Harvey)

1:05 JPSO onscene (note: further down says ONSCN 1:08:04 S819)

01:07:00 MISC C811 Comment: PROBABLY ABOUT 6700 BLOCK

01:07:15 RETURN E818

01:07:56 SELECT

01:08:04 ONSCN S819

1:09am Brett talked to LE, said Shane was fine. Brett said when he arrived a few LE, ambulance and fire department were already on scene.

01:09:11 MISC C811 Comment: WILL HANDLE &#8230; OCCUPANT OUT OF CAR AND LEFT SCENE

01:09:12 INFO DAREA: MHF Comment: VIA 3C11 ADVD THAT ONE OF THE RELATIVES OF THE THAT CALLED THIS IN IS IN A 20 &#8230; ADV TRY GETTING IN TOUCH WITH RELATIVE AND TELL THEM HE IS FINE

01:09:18 HOLD

01:09:23 AIO C802

01:09:23 CLEAR C802

01:11:59 AIO E818

01:11:59 CLEAR E818

01:16:34 CLOS E808 C811 S819 Location: 6700 BLK RIVER RD, HA

01:17:07 MISC C811 Comment: RAGUSAS ROLL BUT WILL HANDLE &#8230; WAITING ON STATE WRECKER &#8230; CHECK WITH STATE

01:17:30 SELECT

01:17:31 HOLD

01:18 Time of Notification

01:18:39 MISC Comment: LSP ADVD THEY WILL SEND SOMEONE OUT

01:30 Time of Arrival

01:30:53 MISC C811 Comment: LSP ONSCENE

Notes / Observations from LA State Crash Report

Lat 29.90326; Long 90.11736, Hwy 541, milepost 7.50, River Road, 1 mile W of LA 560-2, .5 mile W of Marrero Road; Hit & Run, Photos made;

Road surface &#8211; dry, black top; Roadway conditions - no abnormalities; type of roadway - two-way road with no physical separation; Alignment &#8211; curve, level; Weather &#8211; clear; Kind of Location &#8211; manufacturing or industrial; Relation to Roadway &#8211; beyond shoulder &#8211; right; Access Control &#8211; no control (unlimited access to roadway); Primary Factor &#8211; violations; Secondary Factor &#8211; condition of driver; Lighting &#8211; dark, no street lights; Driver &#8211; front seat left side; Ejection &#8211; not ejected; Trapped or Extricated &#8211; not trapped; Airbag &#8211; non deployed; Occupant Protection System Used &#8211; non used, vehicle occupant; Injury &#8211; no injury; Transported to Medical Facility &#8211; no; Instructed to Exchange Information &#8211; no

Vision Obscurements &#8211; no obscurements; Violation &#8211; unknown; Traffic Control &#8211; yellow no passing lane; Condition of Driver/Ped &#8211; unknown; Driver Distraction &#8211; unknown; Reason for Movement &#8211; unknown; Sequence of Events/Harmful Events &#8211; ran off road right, culvert, ditch, other post/pole/support; Most Harmful Event &#8211; ditch; Movement Prior to Crash &#8211; proceeding straight ahead; Vehicle Condition &#8211; no defects observed; Vehicle Lighting &#8211; unknown; Traffic Control Conditions &#8211; controls functioning; Alcohol/Drug Involvement &#8211; yes, alcohol, no test given; Drugs &#8211; test not given

Direction Before Crash &#8211; headed West on LA 541; Final Location of Vehicles &#8211; off road; Distance Traveled After Impact &#8211; unknown; Speed &#8211; Posted 35; Skidmark Data (Feet) &#8211; 000 000 000 000; Damage to Vehicle &#8211; area damaged, total; Extent of Deformity - severe

02:04:45 AIO C811 Comment: RET ALL UNITS SCENE TURNED OVER TO LSP

02:04:45 CLEAR C811

02:05:30 RETURN ????

2:15 JPSO closed

02:30 Time all lanes opened

June 12 or 13
Family found one of Shane&#8217;s shoes in the water where the wreck was. It was shown to LE that day who said they would be back to get it

June 13 LA State investigator went to Jake's wrecker yard to look for the insurance card and check the seatbelt .. was unable to locate an insurance card and observed the seatbelt was locked in the vertical position which investigator stated would indicate driver was not wearing seatbelt at the time of the crash

June 11 Saturday, family got together a group of fireman and volunteers on 4 wheelers and started searching the area around wreck site.

June 12 Kenny advises that family conducted another search with a larger group today (Sunday). The news media got involved and &#8220;thats when the police showed up with 4 wheelers running on the levee ... once the news media left .. the police did also. Kenny advises LE never advised family on when/where/how to search

June 14
K9 search for Shane without results

June 14 or 15 Shane&#8217;s cell phone went dead &#8220;5 days after the wreck&#8221;

June 15
LE retrieved the shoe from the family. Later family asked to see the shoe and were told no, that they would send a pic but never did.

June 17 Investigating Agency &#8211; LADPS;

June 17 Investigation Complete &#8211; Yes; Investigating Agency &#8211; A (State);

June 17 Date Report Completed

June 19
Texas EquuSearch was searching today without results

June 21
Texas EquuSearch was to meet with Jefferson Parish officials today

June 30
Approx date billboard went up

View attachment 44476

View attachment 44477

This how the car looked on Saturday Morning...Windshield is not caved in....The door you can see the little blood at the top of the door...and the door handle is stuck in the open position...I am looking for the pics of the other door...I think i remember it was still in the lock position....I will post if i find it..Gonna try and talk to the Volunteer fireman this week...I will ask if the car was on its side and running......

Um, am I correct that the quarter panel was still on in that pic taken Saturday morning? And of course the windshield is not as broken as we see in the later pic of the car in the yard?

Who removed the quarter panel after the fact and why, and why bash the window totally out after the fact when that makes it appear more serious than it was?

View attachment 44476

View attachment 44477

This how the car looked on Saturday Morning...Windshield is not caved in....The door you can see the little blood at the top of the door...and the door handle is stuck in the open position...I am looking for the pics of the other door...I think i remember it was still in the lock position....I will post if i find it..Gonna try and talk to the Volunteer fireman this week...I will ask if the car was on its side and running......

I see now why Terrie said he may be injured, seeing blood on the door, but LE listed in the report as no injury. I guess they didn't make that assumption?
Even though LE did check the hospitals.... contradictions hurt my brain...:banghead:

<bbm>

My car keys and house keys are on the same ring. I can see Shane wanting to get the keys out of the car, but it still doesn't explain Kenny being told the car was still running. This begs the question, at what point was the car still running ... when the 911 caller phoned, or when FD or LE arrived?

Geaux, where on earth are you seeing a mess of papers on the roof of the car? I don't see paper and I don't see the roof of the car in any pic.

Here is the photo I'm talking about. Of course, this morning when I was looking at it, I saw papers. Right now, I see air bag.

Either way, I am still wondering if he didn't encounter LE.

Attachments

• shane.car.jpg
    shane.car.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 50
<bbm>

My car keys and house keys are on the same ring. I can see Shane wanting to get the keys out of the car, but it still doesn't explain Kenny being told the car was still running. This begs the question, at what point was the car still running ... when the 911 caller phoned, or when FD or LE arrived?

Geaux, where on earth are you seeing a mess of papers on the roof of the car? I don't see paper and I don't see the roof of the car in any pic.

Here is the photo I'm talking about. Of course, this morning when I was looking at it, I saw papers. Right now, I see air bag.

Either way, I am still wondering if he didn't encounter LE.

I see airbag as well.

<rsbm>

I don't recall that Shane referred to a "one vehicle accident".

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA LA - Shane Fell, 36, Marrero, 9 June 2011

First paragraph seems to be reporter's summary/wording. Second paragraph is the direct quote attributed to Brett .. that he was "involved in a car accident ... flipped over".

I wonder if those were Shane's precise words .. might only be Brett's summation of the convo. Semantics here, but if that was me, I would not refer to it as a car accident ... I would simply say "omg, I missed the turn and flipped my car".

Re bolded: Now you have me wondering, I'll go back and see if I can find where I read / heard that. Maybe it was in one of the news reports, or could be I'm imagining things... :confused: ... not that it would be the first time :giggle:

Re bolded: Now you have me wondering, I'll go back and see if I can find where I read / heard that. Maybe it was in one of the news reports, or could be I'm imagining things... :confused: ... not that it would be the first time :giggle:

Here it is: Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA LA - Shane Fell, 36, Marrero, 9 June 2011

This quoted from the JPSO missing person's page:
Missing Person last known location was at the intersection of River Road and Barataria Boulevard in Marrero, Louisiana. Missing Person was involved in a single car crash at that location and could possibly be injured as a result of the accident. Subject was last seen on June 10th, 2011 at 12:48 a.m. at the intersection of the crash.

So is the JPSO the only source for the "single car crash"?

Something else I apparently missed, this was posted early in the thread:

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2011/06/marrero_man_still_missing_afte.html
Sgt. Larry Dyess, a spokesman for the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office, said investigators understand that Fell told his brother that he was going to try to find a way to leave the crash site, and he was not there when his brother arrived about 20 minutes after the wreck.

However, Fell's family members disagree. They think his disappearance was the result of foul play or an accident. They say Fell never told them he was leaving the scene of the accident and he knew his brother was on his way.

ETA: Also found this where Brett states Shane was involved in a "single car accident".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp_GqxC2_SY

Elainera the way LE has treated the Fell family from day one has been a disgrace, i don't think they can be bothered to help them one way or another.

IMHO this has cover-up all over it and i will take some convincing otherwise. I hope for Shane's sake my gut instinct is wrong.

After seeing some things I missed, I have to agree; as you, I hope I'm wrong.

What you hear is what we got.........SAD

Can you request a printed transcribed copy from the police of the 911 caller? How did they give copies of 911 calls to family before there were computers. I would ask for the transcribed copy, and ask them to print it and black out what was cut. Then you can see which of the questions and which of the answers belong together..

ALSO did the 911 caller stop and get out of his car? Was he on the scene when the fireman got there? I thought I read up thread a few pages that he was a Security Guard in training to be a Cop and was out of his car and on the scene when first responders got there. Is that true? Maybe he was asked to be quiet because of what he may have saw when that first fireman got there and kicked in the passenger side window.

Also if the windshield was not a big hole why would they give those pictures to unexplained. Unexplained even zooms into the broken window for a moment, But the window was not like that until many days later. It makes the accident look worse than it was. Why would they want to do that? To me it is like providing false information to the public.

That's just craziness. The operator jumps to talking about Barataria Blvd when the caller only mentioned River Rd. Obviously there had to be some discussion in the middle there, right?

What you hear is what we got.........SAD

That's just craziness. The operator jumps to talking about Barataria Blvd when the caller only mentioned River Rd. Obviously there had to be some discussion in the middle there, right?
I'm pretty sure the dispatcher referred to Barataria Blvd because it came up in the CAD system as the nearest major intersection.

I'm pretty sure the dispatcher referred to Barataria Blvd because it came up in the CAD system as the nearest major intersection.

See that is what I was originally thinking. Its the phone trace, but how do they trace a cell phone? does that not have to do with the Pinging off the cell phone towers? Do the 911 dispatchers have immediate access to that information. Where as the Fell family has to have it court ordered?

We saw a one vehicle roll over accident a few years ago while driving through Florida. It was on the interstate, and there was a grass median between the north and southbound lanes. The car crossed over the median from the north to the southbound lane and started flipping. About the time it got over to the ditch, we saw a person fly out of the car, like a human sized rag doll. It wasn't good :( . Come to find out later though, that was the passenger who wasn't wearing a seatbelt. The driver survived more or less unharmed, but they weren't ejected from the vehicle. Anyway, it was so shocking to witness something like that I can still picture it in my head after all these years.

Main point, that was a much more severe accident, imo, than Shane's. So I can easily see him walking away. As several have questioned here though, I wonder if the car landed more or less on it's side, and then was turned upside down after being disturbed , either by LE or others.

Has anyone else considered the possibility of a road rage event ? Then the driver of the other car returned to the scene ? Could that have been the 911 caller ? But if that was the case it seems Shane would have told Brett this during their phone conversation. Right ? :confused:

It's also being speculated by several here, including myself, that whatever the circumstances, there quite possibly was another vehicle involved. But if so, why is it that Shane reported it to Brett as being specifically a one vehicle accident ? Why say that if it wasn't true ? Threat , coercion ?

You can't really rule out anything in this case,

However, all accounts say this was a one-car, (Shane's car) accident. Oh anything to get a transcript of Shane and Brett's phone conversations!! Do we know for sure that Brett said to Shane, "You are going to get arrested for a DUI?" We seemingly know that Shane was not drunk, but he still could have had a buzz on him.

Could LE had believed that Brett was coming to help aide and abet Shane escape from the law, rather than assist a crash victim? I think this is a critical thing. You might have had some "Rambo Robocop" at the site think, "Oh, I'm gonna nail this kid for DUI and look like a hero in the department for doing that."

Shane may have been intimidated by someone or several someone's with LE and it COULD be that a fight (physical, verbal, or both) existed between LE and he. With Brett's words of "You're gonna get arrested" ringing in Shane's ears, maybe he COULDN'T wait for him, because Shane felt that LE was "out to get him." So he ran away and is afraid to come home.

But what puts a dent in that theory is why go into hiding for three years? A potential DUI is serious, but to leave and not be seen for three years is really mystifying. Unless Shane tragically passed away from injuries from the crash, or LE took him into custody for a DUI, and he passed away in the patrol car. And they have to cover this up to save their own skin. They could have dumped his body someplace and the someone in LE, or several someone's swore each other to secrecy. That could be why LE is inaccurate with the published reports, won't release the phone records, and won't help the family beyond the basics, if at all.

IMO, it seems that LE does not want the Fells to find out the truth about what happened to Shane, because a cover up is involved.

Satch

According to this, yes they trace by pings off the nearest tower:

http://firstaid.about.com/od/callingforhelp/bb/cell911.htm

But I thought that was what the 249 Klein address was? How would that become Barataria Blvd? Call me confused...

See that is what I was originally thinking. Its the phone trace, but how do they trace a cell phone? does that not have to do with the Pinging off the cell phone towers? Do the 911 dispatchers have immediate access to that information. Where as the Fell family has to have it court ordered?

According to this, yes they trace by pings off the nearest tower:

http://firstaid.about.com/od/callingforhelp/bb/cell911.htm

But I thought that was what the 249 Klein address was? How would that become Barataria Blvd? Call me confused...

The caller states in the 911 call that there is a car turned over on the river rd. the 911 Dispatch said barataria blvd. from what was pinged. the address on klein was where the phone I think is registered too. Or the man was driving when he made the call and it first pinged from barataria and then switched as he drove towards the other tower?

I REALLY WANT TO KNOW IF THIS MAN GOT OUT OF HIS CAR? Did any of the Pipe Yard employees see his car stop?

The caller states in the 911 call that there is a car turned over on the river rd. the 911 Dispatch said barataria blvd. from what was pinged. the address on klein was where the phone I think is registered too.
The Klein address is where the switch, or substation, is located. I've posted the photo of the antenna tower here and on the MAP. (On the map, click the items in the list on the left.) Klein is NOT the caller's address.

Line 1
Dispatch received the call through Enhanced 911. Using GPS, the CAD system finds the call location, beginning with the nearest major intersection.

Line 2
Operator enters information obtained from caller. "Car overturned in ditch"; "Pontiac sedan"; "Extent of injuries unknown"; "[Dispatcher] will advise Louisiana State Police"

Line 3
Enhanced 911 returns caller's phone number, address of the substation that transmitted the signal, and finally, the caller's (phone's) coordinates -- 90.117416 -29.903423.

Line 4
Then, the system tries to narrow in on the nearest (non-major) intersection. Because the street addresses are screwy on River Road, the system shows 8347 River Rd, and can't find a cross street (because there is no longer an 8347 River Rd).

In the long run, it doesn't matter because the GPS part of the system has provided the correct geographical coordinates.

Hope that makes some sense.

The E911 CAD system will show the location of the 911 caller's phone. It tells nothing about Shane's phone. And even if it did -- let's say Shane had called 911 -- the 911 system would show where the phone was at the time the call was made. It would provide no information about where his phone "pinged" once the call ended. That's the information the family needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member