Laura Babcock Murder Trial 12.05.17 - Closing Arguments - Day 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The part where he was complaining about CN not testifying makes no sense. He wrote the letter, what can she add to it.

She sunk you DM. Your goose was cooked the second those letters were found. You were worried about drug trafficking charges? Perhaps you should bring up some evidence to support this in any way during the trial.

He had the ability to subpoena her and call her as a witness. He did not.

MOO

I'm sure Jen is pleased to be dragged through this. Moo

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

She has not really been "dragged through this". Other than a couple of evidence pictures she appears in, which have not been made public, both trials have been nothing but respectful regarding her.

MOO

I keep hearing his voice from those Croatia overlaying it on this spectacle, imagining what he must sound like speaking to the jury. He's got kind of a mid tone voice that occasionally lilts just slightly to the feminine. I was struck by that recent observers comments that he seemed lonely and lost in the courtroom. I do feel some pity for somebody so unselfaware, so unsuited for this grave, life altering situation.

RBBM --

TIA, JuneBug. Is there a link available to hear this? I somehow missed this voice recording.

I was much more impressed with the crown from the TB trial. This one seems more passive.

Dell did a nice thing. He spared MS. He could have easily put it on him. I guess he learned from the TB trial that that approach doesn't work. I wonder if Dungey was expecting that defense. I also wonder if Dungey will go with the flow of LB is still missing or if he will throw poor Dell under the bus.
If you agreed there was a mountain of "real evidence" against DM in Tim's trial, how come he's "poor Dell?"

Just like in the TB trial, people are buying what the accused is selling. Completely disregarding the fact that the accused’s version of events is filled with Grand Canyon sized holes and thus, completely self serving.

MOO, of course.

MIllard hasn't been a terrible lawyer. Sadly, I've seen some "official" lawyers in court who are worse than him.

But make no mistake, he hasn't been a good lawyer either.

Beating up on the victims' parents is one of the stupidest things you can do. Juries hate that.

They even hate when prosecutors are mean to the defendants' parents, which is why no one wants to put Mom and Dad in the witness box to answer tough questions

For Millard to end his address by dissing Laura's parents was beyond awful, but as someone who feels no empathy, he can't realize just how bad a mistake it was. Almost as bad as his opening with Clayton Babcock, which I heard people discussing in coffee shops the weekend after. They were horrified he was allowed to question Laura's father.

Millard says Babcock was struggling with "real mental health issues" and wasn't getting support, even at home.

Laura's father, sitting in the front row, shook his head and mouthed "Wow."

by Shannon Martin 4:43 PM

Wow is right. :maddening:
What scum drags a grieving family into this by saying they did not support her mental health issues and changed the locks. Does that add anything to this trial other than a slap in the face to the family? I feel for the Babcocks... Wow is right Mr. Babcock

MIllard hasn't been a terrible lawyer. Sadly, I've seen some "official" lawyers in court who are worse than him.

Beating up on the victims' parents is one of the stupidest things you can do. Juries hate that.

They even hate when prosecutors are mean to the defendants' parents, which is why no one wants to put Mom and Dad in the witness box to answer tough questions

For Millard to end his address by dissing Laura's parents was beyond awful, but as someone who feels no empathy, he can't realize just how bad a mistake it was. Almost as bad as his opening with Clayton Babcock, which I heard people discussing in coffee shops the weekend after. They were horrified he was allowed to question Laura's father.

However the narrative in Dell's plot is that LB is alive. So there is no victim.

For Millard to end his address by dissing Laura's parents was beyond awful, but as someone who feels no empathy, he can't realize just how bad a mistake it was. Almost as bad as his opening with Clayton Babcock, which I heard people discussing in coffee shops the weekend after.

I couldn't agree more about making a mistake when he was disparaging about her parents.

I don't know if it has come up here or not, but will you be writing a sequel to Dark Ambition? If so, when is it coming out? Would love to read it. I reread Dark Ambition a second time while this trial was happening because I needed to re-familiarize myself with some of the players.

Once this trial is over and done with do you think that you could ever get a 1:1 with MS or will he be silent with the media until after his appeal has been dealt with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Millard pulls up these two photos for the jury side by side. The first one was taken July 4, 2012 at 1:39 p.m. at the hangar. The second at 2:40 p.m. at his farm.

"The Crown wants you to believe Laura Babcock's body is in that tarp. It hasn't escaped me."

"For this to be Laura Babcock's body, one would have to imagine supposedly I'm dragging a body in a tarp, switching vehicles. Then after I do all my day's routines, I go to the farm to drop this off."

"Does any of this theory make sense - stopping for engine parts, going to the hangar, transferring this tarp from the convertible to the van, doing some work on an airplane engine, having a photograph taken, then driving out to the farm.

"I say it doesn't make sense."
Why wouldn't it make sense if it were just a carpet??

However the narrative in Dell's plot is that LB is alive. So there is no victim.

Unfortunately, the claim that she is alive doesn't hold an ounce of credibility. I'm sure you could get a long lineup of people to go on a witness stand and swear that they saw Elvis Presley alive and well.

But DM didn't even get a lineup of people. He had one person who claimed he saw her. Except he said it didn't look like her and she lost 50 pounds. And he failed to identify LB in the meow video. He also admitted to having surgery to that could affect his memory.

IMO, the jury has no reason to believe that there is any possibility of her still being alive.

I think Dell did a great job. He could have been a hell of a lawyer if he went a different path.
A great job? I disagree but we'll see what happens.
He tripped up more then a few times. IMO

The problem with his plot is the fact a girl who was constantly in contact with everyone suddenly just dropped off the face of the earth.

DM the lawyer was screwed by DM the client. He was boxed into arguing LB is still alive when all evidence points to her being dead because DM was out buying incinerators and guns, telling people he's going to remove LB from their lives and then writing letters trying to explain what happened when she disappeared before he's even charged.

Without all of that - you've just got cell phone pings and he can come up with something that a reasonable person might be able to believe (he rejected her and she suicidal or talking about going to use heavier drugs or whatever).

Why would someone bring a rolled up carpet that is wrapped up in a tarp to a place to burn it and take a photo of it? Also, did DM actually state what WAS in the tarp and not just suggest what was in it? If not, why not?

I wish you guys put the bias aside and gave Dell credit. He did GREAT. First time ever acting as a lawyer? At your own murder trial nevertheless? I wish you guys had the privilege to see him in person. He was outstanding! But giving Dell any credit here is like discussing how great your new mink fur is at a PETA forum...
I would have to say, we all know he's a great "storyteller" based on his many letters that have been released. The way he speaks in them and his dream of how he'd address the jury was a reality for him now. I don't see this as something "great" he's done. While I don't share your sentiment, I definitely don't see this performance as anything other then that. A performance. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member