Laura Babcock Murder Trial - *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
No knock to anyone mimimic. I enjoy having discussions, and the odd heated constructive argument with the good people here. My animated "smiley" was just an "up" vote to this article, and especially the description of CN, "succubus". Made me laugh out loud.

I enjoy your posts. :)

I really despise CN but it was keeping those letters that convicted DM of M1, so maybe she had that in mind all along. She duped DM , hahaha and he thought she was going to save him. more like convicted him. A reporter with the Sun wrote about it should read her coverage , I thought it was excellent.
LOL.

I’m sorry Winter, I mean no disrespect, but no. CN did not keep those letters to get justice served for the victims. She didn’t keep those letters to get a killer convicted. She kept them for her own bizarre reasons, be it “love”, or extortion, or blackmail, I reall don’t know, but it wasn’t to help anyone but herself. A court order had to be made to raid her home, that’s how willing to “help” she was.

I’m incredibly behind so my apologies if a like minded comment has already been made on this. Back to catching up for me!

Twas ten days before Christmas, on Websleuths
All were a waiting, praying, hoping for truths;
Then Saturday dawned, something was in the air
A feeling the jury, soon might be there;

When out in twitter there arose such a clatter,
Over to websleuths to see what was the matter.
Logged in, then reloaded to clear out the cache,
Was the news as hoped, or just more DM trash?

The jury was coming back, the poster did say...
Could the predictions be right, today is the day?
A verdict is in, Justice Code did announce!!
And all of us waiting... praying 2 counts!!

Then the most wonderful words, we did see
Both guilty of murder, in the 1st degree!!
Millard looked back, he spun in his chair
Looked at Linda, with a stare and a glare.

Many of us would have been tempted for sure,
to flip him the bird, or say things unpure.
But instead, Linda Babcock, gave him a smile...
strength that has carried them all through this trial.

This is a smile that we all should remember
A very good day, was this 16th of December
Today was the day, we know who was strong..
Today was the day, right triumphed over wrong,

The system worked, now both Smich and Millard
Are back in their cells, tightly locked up and barred.
Thanks to the Babcocks, Jill Cameron, Judge Code,
Them we admire, our respect is rightfully owed.

I have one more thing, before I drop out of sight,
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD-NIGHT!

(... see you again in March...)
For me, that is up there with the best of what has been written about both trials. <3

It still bothers me, even more so after JC's post verdict comment. "no stone un turned" by the TPS.
Had LE followed up on LB's last contacts and and at the very least, confronted DM, I would agree they did their job.
DM was never questioned. SL did more than the LE. SL handed them that crucial evidence that helped determine LB's last whereabouts. And that helped prove to the jury where and with whom she was with, when she disappeared.
Yes, I know, its easy to point fingers after the fact.
Sad, that it took fate of TB's life for the LE to start to investigate the disappearance of LB.

It still bothers me, even more so after JC's post verdict comment. "no stone un turned" by the TPS.
Had LE followed up on LB's last contacts and and at the very least, confronted DM, I would agree they did their job.
DM was never questioned. SL did more than the LE. SL handed them that crucial evidence that helped determine LB's last whereabouts. And that helped prove to the jury where and with whom she was with, when she disappeared.
Sad, that it took fate of TB's life for the LE to start to investigate the disappearance of LB.

I think she was referring to the investigation done after the Bosma disappearance. She was thanking Mike Carbone who was not responsible for either of the original investigations. So it's not incorrect to say that his team at TPS left no stone unturned.

Agreed. I was surprised that both JC and Laura's father thanked TPS. I sensed zero resentment or bitterness in their tones when thanking TPS. I've personally never been through anything like they have, but man, they are better people than I am... :shame:

She was still in love with him for the first few months of letters. And when she started losing interest, she likely realized the letters could be a good insurance/blackmail policy although she denied this at the Bosma trial.

A prosecutor not involved with this case once told me, "The girlfriend always keeps the letters."

And she couldn't show LE she had nothing to do with the crime, because she was involved in the crime.

The thing you need to accept to understand this case is that MIllard, Smich and Noudga are all remorseless psychopaths who do not operate like normal human beings.

BBM

LOL. So true.

CN kept the letters
MS kept the IPad and the bag. Including his RAP's and photos
DM kept the truck, and his clans digital conversations and photos on his network of game machines.

MOO

I believe those letters were kept because DM knows how to manipulate emotion, but understands it only superficially. There are very, very few still besotted women who would not have kept those letters with their flowery, angsty expressions of love and desire. He manipulated her right into being unable to throw out the evidence he created. Well done, Don Juan.

This is a brilliant deduction. Surely you are accurate, insightful, and reveal a touch of humour in the midst of the tragedy. You should hang up your shingle: JuneBug - Master of Human Behaviour.

"Succubus" ...a new one for me. Excellent adjective for the female demon!

No knock to anyone mimimic. I enjoy having discussions, and the odd heated constructive argument with the good people here. My animated "smiley" was just an "up" vote to this article, and especially the description of CN, "succubus". Made me laugh out loud.

I think she was referring to the investigation done after the Bosma disappearance. She was thanking Mike Carbone who was not responsible for either of the original investigations. So it's not incorrect to say that his team at TPS left no stone unturned.

This is an important clarification.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seems this lawyer does lots of shady stuff and gets away with it! So why not if it means winning his case? Some are all about the win no matter what it takes!

JMO

Not only the win, but I suspect there was a little extra $ in the deal. MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just catching up.

I heard the news on the car radio early yesterday afternoon and was so relieved the juries could see through everything to come to M1 verdicts for both!:clap::thewave:

After reading the Rosie DiManno article in the TheStar, I got to thinking a bit more about why CN wasn't called as a witness for the crown or either of the defendants.

For the crown, they just needed to get the letters in, so they found another way so as not to invite the circus of disrespect her performance in the TB trial created.

And for DM and MS? Well doesn't she have a criminal record now? And would that not have to be revealed? Accessory after the fact to murder! (without mentioning TB, or course). After all, it goes to her credibility as a witness. Yes, she knows a thing or two about murders - and how to cover them up! :ashamed:Oh, and if she gave a similar performance as she did at the TB trial, wouldn't that make the jury loathe her and believe even more in the likelihood that those messages back and forth between her and DM (the "makes me feel warm and fuzzy that you want to cure me of a herpes infection" texts) were not just silly banter?

It seems she was poison to everyone! But I do have a small thanks to her and her messy bedroom and the fact that she wanted to cling to the fantasy of her "sweet serial killer"! :winko:

MOO

In the weeks and months that followed, Babcock's phone continued to receive countless calls from friends and family, desperate to reach her.
But the jury was told Millard never texted, never called Babcock, not once after that night.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/laura-babcock-murder-trial-millard-smich-1.4448140

FANTASTIC.
This is what I was getting at a few days back when I was asking about the cellular data re: incoming calls.
It frustrates me that this PIVOTAL piece of information was never reported in tweets/articles before now ... but I am so, so happy that it was brought up, and that it was brought up for the jury.

THIS is huge. If I were on the jury, THIS piece of information would be very compelling for me.

I thought I could stop reading about this case, but apparently not. Does anyone know if there will be much more of "what the jury didn't hear" and more content released that was a part of the publication bans for the TB and LB murder trials? I look forward to ABro's further reporting on the letters.

On the above comment and bbm, if I were in the jury's shoes, it would really not be that compelling or pivotal. First off, among other things, they had LB/SL's iPad and the cell phone pings along the Lakeshore, to his farm, the photo of the body in the tarp. Even if there had been appropriately timed texts from DM to LB to the effect of "where are you? people are worried and looking," the evidence afterwards and the chronology of events was still more important. If there was such a text and DM claimed he was worried, I wouldn't have bought it when the other evidence was weighed.

We already found out that he deleted more timely and relevant texts from both hers and his phones before he discarded hers; texts that LE said were unrecoverable. He thought he was smart in that way (well, he thinks he's smart in a number of ways, when he isn't) and he never thought he'd be caught. This God Complex of his astounds me. With the above speculation/comments, I started to think in a sinister way just now: if he'd been smart, with her phone still in his possession, he'd have driven back to Kipling station or to the airport, then deleted the messages and ditched the phone. His phone of course would have been on and that would have been the route that was tracked by LE. Then he could have claimed he returned her to a transportation hub after a night's stay, doesn't know where she went, she said she was going to Montreal etc., did she get on a bus or a plane under another name, who knows? (Plane you have to show ID and passport for leaving Canada. From experience, I know for buses and trains in Canada you're not always asked for ID even when they say be prepared, you are expected to show it.) And only then, if he texted afterwards like other people in her life showing concern, might his story--still shady--have rung true. He had no idea that the cell phone pings and still being in possession of her phone on the post-murder dates and times would be so important. He didn't get it for LB and he didn't get it for TB. He had a burner phone (Lucas Bate) for TB and thought that once he ditched it, it'd be the end of the line for LE to connect him to TB.

As for CN and the letters. She's cut from the very same fabric and she never thought she would get caught. She kept them for the blackmail purposes--in the TB trial she claimed she was being young and stupid--and her opportunist position is the most likely one. She also kept them because she and DM were a sickening, terrible perfect storm. She was endeared to the letters' content and connection (who else knew how truly evil and black hearted she was/is?). She was in an old-fashioned vein by keeping the letters.

She never thought she'd get caught. She fooled even her parents. Look at her room! An utter slob. Most parents I know cannot abide that type of mess in their house and it's tolerated only so long until drastic measures are taken. You know, while you're under my roof type of thing. There's a respect for privacy (which her parents and Smich's mother were just too generous with), but there are also standards. Clean up or I'll do it for you. Fortunately, no one did. LE and the Crown got what they needed.

I'm still processing everything I've read in the last 24 hours. I'm very grateful the jury found their way to guilty verdicts for both DM and MS for 1st degree murder, though I do wish they were as unanimous when it came to the concurrent vs consecutive question. (I fear this will fuel MS's side somehow in their quest for an appeal.)

Does anyone know why sentencing has been put over until the new year? In the Bosma trial, the sentence was delivered the same day (though, IIRC, the judge was caught off-guard by the crown's request to do sentencing immediately). Is the issue the request for consecutive sentences? I just thought since they have the courtroom blocked off still, Code would deliver the sentences this week at the latest. It would have been nice for Laura's family to start the new year without having to see the faces of DM and MS.

And did I read something about DM not wanting to attend the sentencing hearing? If so, what nerve. It should not be optional -- you do the crime, you should be forced to stand and look the judge in the eye (smirk optional) while justice is doled out.

Just catching up.

I heard the news on the car radio early yesterday afternoon and was so relieved the juries could see through everything to come to M1 verdicts for both!:clap::thewave:

After reading the Rosie DiManno article in the TheStar, I got to thinking a bit more about why CN wasn't called as a witness for the crown or either of the defendants.

For the crown, they just needed to get the letters in, so they found another way so as not to invite the circus of disrespect her performance in the TB trial created.

And for DM and MS? Well doesn't she have a criminal record now? And would that not have to be revealed? Accessory after the fact to murder! (without mentioning TB, or course). After all, it goes to her credibility as a witness. Yes, she knows a thing or two about murders - and how to cover them up! :ashamed:Oh, and if she gave a similar performance as she did at the TB trial, wouldn't that make the jury loathe her and believe even more in the likelihood that those messages back and forth between her and DM (the "makes me feel warm and fuzzy that you want to cure me of a herpes infection" texts) were not just silly banter?

It seems she was poison to everyone! But I do have a small thanks to her and her messy bedroom and the fact that she wanted to cling to the fantasy of her "sweet serial killer"! :winko:

MOO
Love the members on Websleuths they usually nail it right on about the characters in both trials.

I thought I could stop reading about this case, but apparently not. Does anyone know if there will be much more of "what the jury didn't hear" and more content released that was a part of the publication bans for the TB and LB murder trials? I look forward to ABro's further reporting on the letters.
<snipped for space>

RSBM - I certainly hope we will be hearing more and getting some of our questions answered. I still want to know what was up with the hoses on Riverside (from the Bosma trial), and the summer camp witness from this trial.

I trust ABro will be delivering some great gifts of information -- most of us have been very good boys and girls! :innocent:

... Police were stunned to find the letters in her bedroom. Not long after all parties to the case went before a judge in Hamilton to ensure that they weren't violating solicitor/client privilege and that this evidence could later be thrown out.

This must have been interesting. I imagine that both client and solicitor had to state that the information contained in the letters was not shared between them. It's astonishing that the solicitor would pass on the envelope without knowing what it contained. But it is equally astonishing that he would pass it on, knowing what it contained.

In the weeks and months that followed, Babcock's phone continued to receive countless calls from friends and family, desperate to reach her.
But the jury was told Millard never texted, never called Babcock, not once after that night.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/laura-babcock-murder-trial-millard-smich-1.4448140

FANTASTIC.
This is what I was getting at a few days back when I was asking about the cellular data re: incoming calls.
It frustrates me that this PIVOTAL piece of information was never reported in tweets/articles before now ... but I am so, so happy that it was brought up, and that it was brought up for the jury.

THIS is huge. If I were on the jury, THIS piece of information would be very compelling for me.

Yes !! I kept wondering whether he tried to call her and assumed I missed it. Thanks for this it was nagging away at my mind out of curiosity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he brought out the fact that he hadn&#8217;t initiated communication with her in months though, so it wouldn&#8217;t be odd on it&#8217;s own that he didn&#8217;t try after early July. In fact I&#8217;m surprised that he didn&#8217;t text or call once or twice as a coverup. Guess he really thought he was that untouchable.

Yeah, with a bit of smarts...it might have gone something like this...

message to self
July 7 - barn smell check
July 8 - text laura’s phone

Fortunately for society, the homocidal maniac was also a overconfident fool.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr
Back