Local 6 - DP motion just DENIED

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As usual, MM, you are the man. Thank you for the timely news and thanks to Judge Strickland for being a fair and wise man.

Interesting - today's news about the DP motion being denied has made it to a Northern NJ newspaper.

And there we have it folks. Motion DENIED.

I truly enjoy reading Judge Stricklands decisions.

I am not certain about Florida laws. I asked on rhornsby thread. In this state there is no way JB can be lead counsel. He can be co-counsel, and, in effect will just be learning and filing motions that are approved by AL. Actually, if I were KC I would want lead and co-counsel DP qualified. Never know what a jury will decide........

I thought there was co-counsel that was DP qualified; I can't remember his name . . . was it Macaluso?

Not to throw a monkey wrench into things...but something just struck me.

The Judge's comments have pretty much guaranteed that there is no way she can get a fair trial around Central Florida. His comment "The prosecution's brief recitation of facts" has, in my mind at least, stated that what the prosecutor said in his statement is how it happened, and has probably tainted the opinion of anyone who reads it.

Just my .02, and I'm not saying he's wrong. Just saying that he might have worded things a bit better.

Even though I think KC is as guilty as heck I hope this will make the defense get serious about doing some 'fending and stop doing motions and throwing everyone that looks their way under the bus.

KC et al - this isn't a game anymore.

I hear you loud and clear SallyLu, but what else do they have - a mysterious Nanny? I do believe after the passionate plea from the defense about the DP, the only thing Casey's defense team will focus on is keeping her from receiving the death penalty.
A question for all - is there anyone among us who is not overjoyed by the decision to keep the DP for Casey? And why?

I guess JB will be holding one of his press conferences soon. I know he's going to say the same old thing....KC wants her day in court, and then we will know the truth. Wha Wha Wha!

True but don't forget that he'll add: "The state wants to kill my client." Isn't that the defense's new motto?

her job is to do anything she can to keep the end result from being KC executed.

she better get started on her time machine so she can go back to June 15 of 2008 and buy KC a soul, cause the way history is written as of now, KC is going to be convicted of the crimes she committed.

I hear you loud and clear SallyLu, but what else do they have - a mysterious Nanny? I do believe after the passionate plea from the defense about the DP, the only thing Casey's defense team will focus on is keeping her from receiving the death penalty.
A question for all - is there anyone among us who is not overjoyed by the decision to keep the DP for Casey? And why?

Well, did you open up big can o' worms or what?

Me, az, I am not overjoyed. I am not one to jump on the DP bandwagon, I have seen loads of DP cases, studied every serial killer in this country and some other countries. The only case that gave me pause was jed, iii. I just don't know how to explain it, and don't know what should be done with serial murderers, but in this particular case, while it is horrendous, I think LWOP is sufficient, maybe even 40 to 65 years, (which is life in KC's youthful mind) given our legal system, if guilt is the verdict.

(Slaps self for typing it, much less posting it, sigh.)

Let the chaos begin.........

The Judge's comments have pretty much guaranteed that there is no way she can get a fair trial around Central Florida. His comment "The prosecution's brief recitation of facts" has, in my mind at least, stated that what the prosecutor said in his statement is how it happened, and has probably tainted the opinion of anyone who reads it.

Just my .02, and I'm not saying he's wrong. Just saying that he might have worded things a bit better.

IDK....I was thinking it happened similar...at least when the State presented it it was actually in a court of law and not on one of the many many media blitzs the defense and the a's seem to go on to poision the jury as well....

I don't see that. A 'fact' is a 'fact' by any other name. :twocents:

Me, az, I am not overjoyed. I am not one to jump on the DP bandwagon, I have seen loads of DP cases, studied every serial killer in this country and some other countries. The only case that gave me pause was jed, iii. I just don't know how to explain it, and don't know what should be done with serial murderers, but in this particular case, while it is horrendous, I think LWOP is sufficient, maybe even 40 to 65 years, (which is life in KC's youthful mind) given our legal system, if guilt is the verdict.

No chaos from me, 21Merc7. There are a lot of thoughtful, intelligent people who have given this topic a great deal of attention and study and have come to the same conclusion you just expressed. I respect that.

The truth is most of us have never had to come right down to seriously looking at the death penalty issue -- I mean seriously as in real life -- as opposed to an expression of our anger and frustration at a particular behavior or criminal but so far removed we don't have to make that decision. It is very sobering to actually have to make that decision. It is very sobering to have to decide whether or not more medical treatment is going to be given to a critically ill/injured patient. It is sobering to sit on a medical ethics board. It is sobering to decide to sew up a patient during surgery because there is nothing else that is realistic to do. It is sobering to decide how much intervention to give at the scene of a horrible accident. It is very sobering to actually have to decide other non-medical cases that involve life or death choices; like who will be on a roster to have to go into a military battle. Having to decide a death penalty in a particular case is no different. I have had some of these experiences and they will inevitably change the way you view the world.

I really think that there is evil in the world and that some people are evil. Maybe they were not born that way, but have become evil beyond redemption and have committed acts in accordance with that evil intent.

So, while I certainly understand why those who seek justice in this case are relieved and happy about Judge Strickland deciding to deny the motion and let the issue of death as a possible penalty go to the jury, I also understand that some may have come to that bridge where the issue is a present and solid reality from which there is no escaping the real life decision -- and a good many even on this website and even after celebrating the news today -- would choke.

So, I respect your effort and your stance.

For me the value of the DP 'threat' is that KC will get a DP-qualified Jury and given the shenanigans and spin of the Defense team --- I think this is a good thing. Important. This is serious and we need a conservative DP-qualified Jury to consider the evidence and cope with duelling experts, spin, etc.

Having said that, do I think KC will get the DP? -- no. I do think that she will get LIFE and in FL LIFE means LIFE. That works.

I'm not against the death penalty in certain cases, this being one of them. A defenseless toddler has been murdered, and an adult is responsible. The state has the right adult behind bars. That adult, Casey Anthony is a total misfit, not only to society, but also to a general prison population. She fits in nowhere in this world nor can she be rehabilitated.

For me the value of the DP 'threat' is that KC will get a DP-qualified Jury and given the shenanigans and spin of the Defense team --- I think this is a good thing. Important. This is serious and we need a conservative DP-qualified Jury to consider the evidence and cope with duelling experts, spin, etc.

Having said that, do I think KC will get the DP? -- no. I do think that she will get LIFE and in FL LIFE means LIFE. That works.

Yep, only 2 choices here now.

I'm not against the death penalty in certain cases, this being one of them. A defenseless toddler has been murdered, and an adult is responsible. The state has the right adult behind bars. That adult, Casey Anthony is a total misfit, not only to society, but also to a general prison population. She fits in nowhere in this world nor can she be rehabilitated.

I agree on all counts. I know KC could adapt to prison, but prisoners will not adapt to her. She will have lots of hard lessons to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove