MA - Bella Bond, 2, found dead, Deer Island, Boston Harbor, June 2015 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So on the 25th, the tide started coming in at just past midnight, and the moon set at 1am. We had a lot of fog through June and July even inland. With no moon, and probably fog, it would have been very dark out on the end of the island. Highly unlikely that a person would have been spotted.

And even if they had -- well, it's Boston, people are out at all hours, going for a run or walking the dog or just getting home from a late shift, or heading out early for an early one. Unless somebody saw the person with the bag, they wouldn't think anything of it.

p.s. oops, meant to quote MissPriss's chart with the tide and moon times.

That rings true to me about Boston and that coast in general. If I were near there I would not be immune to going over there if I could not sleep. I knew a guy some ages ago that worked at that plant and it would have been the last place he'd take the wife, but it has come a long way since. But there are so many places for residents and non residents at all hours. Castle Island, City Point, Squantum, Rowe's Wharf and Nahant were always favorites.

FWIW I am still of the camp that it floated from close by in a short time.

MOO

I wondered that too. I am used to tornado warnings living in Missouri, but was quite shocked to see them in Mass while we were there. A bunch of flights got delayed at Logan that day too. I flew out the day after the storm (disabled and cannot travel by car) and Logan was a mess. Flights were overbooked to where the airline was offering to comp people if they gave up their seats. Not sure if that info is helpful, but you never know. Cool pic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's very interesting. Thank you for sharing. I wonder if there were any reports of damage by the storms? Any buildings blown down?

Missouri - That's sort of tornado alley too isn't it? We have lots of tornadoes in Texas and dust devils (which are pretty cool). Lots and lots of tornado warnings.

I lean toward heat exposure. I can't exactly remember the timing, but it got really hot while we were there. The humidity was awful. Maybe a local can remember better than I, but my hubby's aunt said the heat was unusual. I have only been there once before. Oh and we were there in June; not July. I am so darn sleepy.

Definitely part of tornado alley in Missouri. Joplin was the worst we have seen in quite a long time. Dust devils are awesome! I believe there was some damage and power outages, if I recall correctly. I don't think a touchdown was confirmed. I also noticed what an active city Boston is. There were tons of people out walking along various shores that I noticed. Much different from where I live. Probably why I noticed.

That rings true to me about Boston and that coast in general. If I were near there I would not be immune to going over there if I could not sleep. I knew a guy some ages ago that worked at that plant and it would have been the last place he'd take the wife, but it has come a long way since. But there are so many places for residents and non residents at all hours. Castle Island, City Point, Squantum, Rowe's Wharf and Nahant were always favorites.

FWIW I am still of the camp that it floated from close by in a short time.

MOO

Sounds like you guys never sleep either... Castle Island - definitely going to have look that up. Was there a prison at one time on Deer Island? I was binging images and one came up for Deer Island Prison Mass.

You sound like you know about tides and floating and fishing, so you don't think someone specifically came to Deer Island? Where do you think she came from?

BBL! You guys have me wanting to come to Boston now! lol!

I have lurked here a long time and figured I should post. I am not too social. My friend's niece was killed by shaken baby syndrome by the father's fiancé. Her biggest regret was that she didn't bury the body. It is sick and disgusting, but we live in a world where this stuff happens. I think more than likely that a parent is responsible for her death. Several cases where the child went unidentified for quite a long time (the New York and Kansas City does) turned out that way. People do awful things on accident, in fits of rage, during divorce, etc. I hope that this angel gets her name back soon and that her killer doesn't go free.

lol! You have good in your heart! Maybe she even saw the bag the day before, but at a different time when the tide was higher.

Say, you're local too! So, that's Boston across the way there?

Thank you for being kind, LOL.

So directly west of Deer island from the shore where Baby Doe was found is Logan airport. It takes up most of Eastie (East Boston). South west of Eastie is Boston Propa. which is south - south east and south-south west around Logan and up ,the Habah. Boston is a geographically small bump in the confluence of the Charles River and Boston harbor. The skyline is visible from the western shore of Deer island around where she was found.
Directly southwest and more visible is Southie (South Boston) and further west is Fenway (the Green Monstah). Southwest of Southie is Dorchester, where I was bon, haha.

By the way Southie is southeast, the South End is southwest, the North End is Northeast, Beacon Hill is west and The Back Bay is southwest, if that helps.

ETA :Oh directly North is Charlestown, the home of the Bunker Hill Monument which is actually on Breed's Hill, where the Battle of Bunker Hill actually took place.

(chuckle)

It's very interesting. Thank you for sharing. I wonder if there were any reports of damage by the storms? Any buildings blown down?

Missouri - That's sort of tornado alley too isn't it? We have lots of tornadoes in Texas and dust devils (which are pretty cool). Lots and lots of tornado warnings.

As I recall the tornado warnings lasted all of 10 minutes. One came through my TV with all that buzzing and what not and after it was finished I switched to local news and right about then it was over. I started to wonder if they had a new system in place and it hadn't been twerked yet.

Wait, "tweeked" I think?

Either way they gotta jiggle it, LOL

I'm pretty local although not familiar with Deer Island beyond knowing its name. The simplest thing seems like an unexpected death of the child through neglect, rage, etc., followed by panic and hiding the body someplace that seemed safe. Locals who may not live right in that area, but know of it and think it sounds like a good place to leave a body. We may not get any hints until one of the few people who know about it starts talking, which happens most of the time eventually . I'm guessing a couple, the child's parents or one parent and a partner, without close family ties. I think we'll know eventually.

Update on the toddler found in a lagoon in chicago's Garfield park. They believe the child is an African American boy around 2-3 years old but are not ruling out ages between 18 months - 4 years old. That's a big gap in age

They found a 20 lb weight in the lagoon as wellhttp://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ains-of-dismembered-child-20150908-story.html

I also read an article that they found a plastic bag they believe the body parts were in originally. I can hardly type body parts in reference to a child. It's just so awful.

I don't think this child is related to baby doe, just wanted to inform you all of this little guy with no name :(

Gonna check in on his thread while waiting for DNA results on emili

I tend to think she was probably put on Deer Island the night before she was found. The day before she was found was a very pretty day and while my husband's aunt was driving me to the airport, we passed lots of areas where people were out walking. I would think if she had been there that day that she would have been found. I am not familiar with Deer Island, but wouldn't a trash bag be an oddity?

Sounds like you guys never sleep either... Castle Island - definitely going to have look that up. Was there a prison at one time on Deer Island? I was binging images and one came up for Deer Island Prison Mass.

You sound like you know about tides and floating and fishing, so you don't think someone specifically came to Deer Island? Where do you think she came from?

BBL! You guys have me wanting to come to Boston now! lol!

There was a defensive fort on Georges Island, that served as a prison for Confederate Officials during the Civil War. It's a Pentagon and I visited it on a "Harbor Islands Tour" with my wife back in the day because she is from Connecticut and locals somehow have an obligation to entertain visitors as if we know this stuff, LOL. I think on that tour we only had a half hour to explore before the boat blew the horn which I was thankful for haha.

If I recall correctly there was a jail on Deer Island around that era but I thought it was a debtor's prison. I could be confusing it with the Chronic Disease hospital on Long Island just out from Squantum.

I think the Harbor Islands tours are still done?

Now I want to go, LOL

Heat exposure, heat stroke would show on an autopsy from what I understand.

Could she have met her demise elsewhere, her body hidden for a few days before being put on Deer Island?

Could she have met her demise elsewhere, her body hidden for a few days before being put on Deer Island?

Very possible.
I need a cause of death. Would make a big difference for me.

The girl was estimated by authorities to have died recently, within days of her discovery.[18] Despite that she was deceased a short amount of time, she had already begun to decompose and was impossible to identify visually, as bloating was observed on the body.[19][3] Investigators were able to conclude that she was a young child but were initially unsure of her race and ethnicity.[20][16]

Recreating a face

Andrews, originally trained as an artist and animator, was drawn to the forensic sciences. She and three other artists at the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) generally have to touch-up morgue photos using photo manipulation to remove traumatic wounds and decomposition from the elements, like exposure to water or sun. It’s generally about bringing out the natural state that had become obscured through the natural processes of the dead.

But in this case, the girl had to be completely recreated from scratch, due to the deteriorated condition. Information from the medical examiner is key; to base each artistic touch firmly on what the forensic sciences can definitively say about the deceased is paramount, Andrews said.

“It’s a good marriage of science and art,” she added.

Other accoutrements are added to the sketch – including known clothing, jewelry and other detail, like the way the hair may have been arranged in fashions of the time, Andrews said. Together, they form an equation for people who may know the girl – but not even know that she is deceased.

“We started to get a feel for how the child would look in life,” the artist said.

Recreating a face

Andrews, originally trained as an artist and animator, was drawn to the forensic sciences. She and three other artists at the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) generally have to touch-up morgue photos using photo manipulation to remove traumatic wounds and decomposition from the elements, like exposure to water or sun. It’s generally about bringing out the natural state that had become obscured through the natural processes of the dead.

But in this case, the girl had to be completely recreated from scratch, due to the deteriorated condition. Information from the medical examiner is key; to base each artistic touch firmly on what the forensic sciences can definitively say about the deceased is paramount, Andrews said.

“It’s a good marriage of science and art,” she added.

Other accoutrements are added to the sketch – including known clothing, jewelry and other detail, like the way the hair may have been arranged in fashions of the time, Andrews said. Together, they form an equation for people who may know the girl – but not even know that she is deceased.

“We started to get a feel for how the child would look in life,” the artist said.

Can you Please give me that link? :please: I have lost it.

I was originally defensive of the artist and I understand she bumped it out in about 4 hours. But after all this time I would love for her to let us see her other sketches. (I know artists - there are other sketches) or do a different compilation including the teeth. Maybe not the hair tied back if there wasn't a scrunchie in the bag? But Maybe.
What could change,,, dimples, lips pursed or extended, nose line scrunched up? The muscles of the face can have such subtle differences depending on mood. Eyebrows raised, lowered, ears perked, ears hidden? The hairline different - strands of hair blowing or disconnected in a band or barrette? Head down or head upward?

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member