GUILTY MA - Colleen Ritzer, 24, brutally murdered, Danvers, 22 Oct 2013 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think the key is the cell phones and when exactly his teammates saw him heading away from the practice field to take care of something. Was it before or after 3:25-3:30and what was he wearing -- track suit or not. Also wonder why the case is sealed if he's being tried as an adult. Is that often the case in similar situations?

jmo

Think I read that both cell phones were located smashed in the vicinity of the movie theater PC attended.

More Photos/Videos/etc..
Revealed: Boy, 14, 'hid out in high school before slashing teacher, 24, to death with box cutter stolen from art class'

In a bizarre twist, WCVB-TV today reported that after the gruesome killing, Chism walked to Hollywood Hits theaters in Danvers and watched Woody Allen's latest film Blue Jasmine - a movie about a middle-aged woman's mental breakdown. Miss Ritzer's phone was later found near the movie theater.

A police source told ABC News that surveillance video from the high school, which is rigged with 130 cameras, shows Chism dragging a recycling bin with Miss Ritzer's body through the halls and out the door of the school.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...der-teacher-Colleen-Ritzer.html#ixzz2j5CVPrxR
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Think I read that both cell phones were located smashed in the vicinity of the movie theater PC attended.

More Photos/Videos/etc..
Revealed: Boy, 14, 'hid out in high school before slashing teacher, 24, to death with box cutter stolen from art class'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...der-teacher-Colleen-Ritzer.html#ixzz2j5BCju3K
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

yes, I read that. There's obviously something on the cell phones.

yes, I read that. There's obviously something on the cell phones.

May be, Karmady...

RE: Also wonder why the case is sealed if he's being tried as an adult. Is that often the case in similar situations?

'Yes, while it is still under investigation'.. I'm surprised at the amount of info that has been released thus far. If the FBI enters the investigation, it may be silenced until trial, imo..
Transparency is dependent on the MS Media and the investigative agency, imo..

May be, Karmady...

'Yes, while it is still under investigation'.. I'm surprised at the amount of info that has been released thus far. If the FBI enters the investigation, it may be silenced until trial, imo..
Transparency is dependent on the MS Media and the investigative agency, imo..

I'm talking about the court file, though. I thought the court file has been sealed. Typical in the case of juveniles, but very atypical in the case of adults. Especially a blanket seal. I was wondering if court files of juveniles tried as adults typically are sealed. I was thinking they'd be treated like adult files, but maybe not.

I'm talking about the court file, though. I thought the court file has been sealed. Typical in the case of juveniles, but very atypical in the case of adults. Especially a blanket seal. I was wondering if court files of juveniles tried as adults typically are sealed. I was thinking they'd be treated like adult files, but maybe not.

'Karmady, juvenile 17 year old Austin Sigg was tried as an adult in CO & there was a gag order by the judge. Becoming more common, imo..

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201717&page=9
http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/10/01/austin-sigg-pleads-guilty-murdering-jessica-ridgeway
"The charges Sigg pleaded guilty to include first-degree murder, sexual assault and kidnapping. Sigg’s sentencing is scheduled to begin November 18 and could take two days to complete.

Sigg could be sentenced to life in prison for his crimes. However, because he was 17 when he committed murder, he cannot be sentenced to life without parole.
Austin Sigg pleads guilty in kidnapping, murder of Jessica Ridgeway...
Nearly one year after 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway disappeared on her way to school, Austin Sigg pleaded guilty on Tuesday in her kidnapping

I agree the cell phones clearly have something to do with this. I can't help but think he maybe sent her a text that afternoon. There could be a couple different scenarios as to what it said. But something about the response set him off. He maybe mistakenly thought he could destroy evidence of the text by smashing the phones. I know this school has a lot of cameras (130-200). And there are cameras in the hallways, but has anyone heard if there are cameras in the classrooms that could have captured the interaction between him and her after school?

I agree the cell phones clearly have something to do with this. I can't help but think he maybe sent her a text that afternoon. There could be a couple different scenarios as to what it said. But something about the response set him off. He maybe mistakenly thought he could destroy evidence of the text by smashing the phones. I know this school has a lot of cameras (130-200). And there are cameras in the hallways, but has anyone heard if there are cameras in the classrooms that could have captured the interaction between him and her after school?

Destroying the cell phones could be no more than an attempt to prevent him being tracked. Why he took hers in the first place could just be an after thought when he took her credit cards. Le has not said what else may have been taken.

Destroying the cell phones could be no more than an attempt to prevent him being tracked. Why he took hers in the first place could just be an after thought when he took her credit cards. Le has not said what else may have been taken.

Certainly possible. We have no idea what his mindset was at that time. I am still amazed that he was able to think clearly enough to put the body in a recycle bin and get it outside without being seen.

Certainly possible. We have no idea what his mindset was at that time. I am still amazed that he was able to think clearly enough to put the body in a recycle bin and get it outside without being seen.

That makes me think this wasn't a spur of the moment decision.

http://www.ijreview.com/2013/10/90674-msnbc-obama-really-onlooker2-white-house/

October 29, 2013
Newspapers challenge judge's sealing of documents in murder case

BY JULIE MANGANIS
STAFF WRITER

---- — DANVERS — Attorneys for The Salem News, Eagle-Tribune and other news organizations are challenging a Salem District Court judge’s order sealing search warrant materials in the Philip Chism murder case.

Chism, 14, is charged with murder in the death of Colleen Ritzer, 24, last Tuesday at Danvers High School, where she was Chism’s math teacher.

Late Thursday afternoon, Essex County District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett’s office filed a motion to impound the search warrant materials that were returned by a state police investigator in the case, including an affidavit outlining the facts of the case and other evidence being sought.

They are normally considered public records unless a judge finds good cause to seal them. Judges are required to make written findings detailing those reasons.

The request to seal the materials was granted by Judge Michael Lauranzano, who also sealed the motion outlining the prosecution’s request to seal the materials.

A spokeswoman for Blodgett said Friday that the request was made on three grounds: concern for prejudicing Chism’s right to a fair trial, the emotional impact that details of the crime might have on Ritzer’s family and friends, and the fact that the materials identify witnesses who have not testified before a grand jury.

“The press’s ability to keep the public informed is premised in large part on open access to the court system, and on its ability to examine and report on judicial documents,” Caruso wrote. “The impoundment challenged by (the newspapers) here seeks to deny that access, and will impede the press from carrying out its important responsibility of reporting fully and accurately on a newsworthy matter of legitimate public concern.”

Joining in the newspaper’s efforts are attorneys for the Associated Press and GateHouse Media Inc.

A hearing on the request was scheduled for yesterday afternoon, but was delayed after Blodgett’s office objected on procedural grounds. The hearing has been rescheduled for Friday.

<sniped-read more>

Who was the 15 year old kid that was convicted of murder partially based on some typical teenage drawings he had done? The body was found in a field near his house. Many years later he was totally exonerated. Tim somebody?

The drawing theory is ridiculous, imo.

That was the Peggy Hettrick murder and Tim Masters was the accused. I'm from the area and the entire drawing issue was so utterly absurd, I don't know how it moved through the court as a reasonable direction.

Tim Masters was convicted largely based on juvenile doodlings. A travesty, truly, and no justice for Peggy Hettrick.

In the case of Colleen, I think PC's crime and his behavior afterwards speak louder than any drawing he was doing. I think he's a budding sociopath, enraged/obsessed over something, and she became the focus of that. We'll see if he has a history that is consistent with what he did to this poor woman.

Whatever the case, they need to keep him locked up for the rest of his days.

I suspect that the order sealing the case will at least in part be overturned, esp once the grand jury has been concluded. The emotional impact the evidence may have on the victim's family really can't be considered a reason for sealing the court file, since that will all come out eventually anyway and the public's right to know will likely over-ride that.

From earlier today, this article:

http://m.salemnews.com/TSN/pm_104190/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=4AKuXayX

Newspapers challenge judge's sealing of &#8364;documents in murder case
BY JULIE MANGANIS 10/29/2013 4:30 AM
Salem News

DANVERS &#8212; "Attorneys for The Salem News, Eagle-Tribune and other news organizations are challenging a Salem District Court judge&#8217;s order sealing search warrant materials in the Philip Chism murder case."

"Late Thursday afternoon, Essex County District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett&#8217;s office filed a motion to impound the search warrant materials that were returned by a state police investigator in the case, including an affidavit outlining the facts of the case and other evidence being sought.

They are normally considered public records unless a judge finds good cause to seal them. Judges are required to make written findings detailing those reasons.

The request to seal the materials was granted by Judge Michael Lauranzano, who also sealed the motion outlining the prosecution&#8217;s request to seal the materials.

A spokeswoman for Blodgett said Friday that the request was made on three grounds: concern for prejudicing Chism&#8217;s right to a fair trial, the emotional impact that details of the crime might have on Ritzer&#8217;s family and friends, and the fact that the materials identify witnesses who have not testified before a grand jury.

Peter Caruso, of the firm Caruso and Caruso, which is representing The Salem News and Eagle-Tribune, argued in a motion filed yesterday morning that such concerns fail to meet the high standard required to overcome the presumption of public access to the materials."

"In another departure from normal procedure, however, only a three-paragraph &#8220;statement of facts&#8221; was included in the public case file, rather than the full police report typically required by a clerk to make a probable-cause determination for charges to be issued.

Joining in the newspaper&#8217;s efforts are attorneys for the Associated Press and GateHouse Media Inc.

A hearing on the request was scheduled for yesterday afternoon, but was delayed after Blodgett&#8217;s office objected on procedural grounds. The hearing has been rescheduled for Friday."

More...

ETA: Sorry, missed that this was posted earlier. My mistake.

I suspect that the order sealing the case will at least in part be overturned, esp once the grand jury has been concluded. The emotional impact the evidence may have on the victim's family really can't be considered a reason for sealing the court file, since that will all come out eventually anyway and the public's right to know will likely over-ride that.

BBM - Just one State over, CT, is doing just this in regards to initially the Sandy Hook school killings...Absolutely NOTHING has been released, even though the doer is dead. They are now extending it to 9-1-1 calls for other murders, etc. And it does not look like it is going to end, or slow down. This meeting was two weeks ago:

http://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/ctnj.ph...t-to-know_advocates_against_public_officials/

They are now demolishing the school - TOTALLY under guard/workers had to sign confidentiality agreements/cannot talk about ANYTHING they see in the school/and they have to reduce the rubble to DUST, so no one can try and get "memorabilia" from the sight.

PrairieWind, hopefully, but sealing info & lack of transparency by many Judges seems to be the norm in many high profile cases over the past few years..
The sealing of information only leads to rampant speculation and rumors, imo.

Awareness by the American public is the key to successful investigations and prosecutions, imo.
Imo, "Silence by the Justice system/LE is the predators most Lethal weapon"..

I wouldn't be surprised if they discover that PC locked the bathroom door in advance somehow - the women's faculty restroom - prompting use the student restroom- for whatever reason. It just seems odd to me that the door was locked.

I wouldn't be surprised if they discover that PC locked the bathroom door in advance somehow - the women's faculty restroom - prompting use the student restroom- for whatever reason. It just seems odd to me that the door was locked.

I thought it was locked because someone was using it? I assumed it was a one-person bathroom.

PrairieWind, hopefully, but sealing info & lack of transparency by many Judges seems to be the norm in many high profile cases over the past few years..
The sealing of information only leads to rampant speculation and rumors, imo.

Awareness by the American public is the key to successful investigations and prosecutions, imo.
Imo, "Silence by the Justice system/LE is the predators most Lethal weapon"..

I tend to agree. I can understand sealing some parts, especially early on, but not blanket sealing of the record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow