GUILTY MA - Conrad Roy, 18, urged by friend, commits suicide, Fairhaven, 13 July 2014 #2 *guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
3 things to know about Michelle Carter’s sentencing in the suicide-by-text case

https://www.boston.com/news/local-n...arters-sentencing-in-the-suicide-by-text-case

I hope that expert is right and she gets five years. Because even Roy’s aunt agreed that 20 years seems extreme. Which I would agree that would be extreme. At the same time probation would be no punishment at all. Five years would be an appropriate sentence. Anything much less would not be sending much of a message.

I've been following this since it was first made public.

Her comeuppance has been a LONG time coming and if she doesn't get jail time, you will be able to hear me scream all the way from grey, rainy England!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Waiting and Watching here too.

Just texted my sisterinlaw who works right near the courthouse. She said it is already crazy nuts with news stations blocking everything. Seems that it is being widely covered.

WTH, Michelle will be a better person because of Conrad's death?????

I thought I must have misread that. The Judge should send her dad to prison too, just for saying such a careless thing.

I hope that expert is right and she gets five years. Because even Roy’s aunt agreed that 20 years seems extreme. Which I would agree that would be extreme. At the same time probation would be no punishment at all. Five years would be an appropriate sentence. Anything much less would not be sending much of a message.

I disagee that 20 years would be too much and ESPECIALLY that Conrad's aunt agreed it is extreme. She didn't say that. She is asking the court to give MC 20 years. She said it may seem extreme but it is still 20 years more than Conrad had. She said MC should be locked away and kept away from society and that a long sentence would keep her out of the spotlight she so obviously craves.

I agree with Conrads aunt. If you notice MC demeanor at the beginning of all this she was cocky and did not seem to care about any of it.
Only when SHE realized that there was a good possibility of HER getting prison time did the tears start rolling. I can bet she now hates Conrad and blames him for her troubles.
But she is forgetting that he most likely would still be alive if not for her actions.
Her attitude at the beginning of all this is what makes me want to see her get a stiff sentence. She is very aware of what she has done and got caught.
As far as her fathers statements he is in a bubble I think. Personally I can not imagine my daughter being in a situation like this but I do not think I would be saying that she made a mistake. Not after reading those text. Sad all the way around.

I disagee that 20 years would be too much and ESPECIALLY that Conrad's aunt agreed it is extreme. She didn't say that. She is asking the court to give MC 20 years. She said it may seem extreme but it is still 20 years more than Conrad had. She said MC should be locked away and kept away from society and that a long sentence would keep her out of the spotlight she so obviously craves.

Skeptical that she'll even get two yrs, if any jail time. Grateful that she was found guilty in the first place though.

Her parents seem to be in denial of the fact that she did premeditate Conrad's death, and attempted to benefit personally from it. What cemented that in my mind, is the cold, calculating manor in which she "supported" his suicidal idealization. Never the times he was uncertain, afraid, and considering choosing to live.

Once she made up her mind, she refused to support his even considering choosing to live. Not one text saying, "You sound uncertain, no need to rush into such a permanent, drastic decision, that will affect so many people who love you! "

Then there the many messages after he was gone, referring to her valiant attempts to "save" him. And the incredible insensitivity shown to his family, badgering them for some of his cremains, the suicide letter, and trying to insert herself into their grieving process like she was an innocent little angel who just wanted to help them.

Sometimes we do learn from our mistakes, and grow into better people, but this was no "Mistake". Nor was this a teenager who was misguided, but "meant well". She said it herself. "I could have saved him, but I didn't."

I'd give her jail time for just being heartless enough to be able listen to that boy choke and cry in pain...and do nothing. Call no one.

A mistake??? She made a mistake?? Was her father at the same trial I Watched? She is a calculating evil female who did a freaking test run!!!!!!

Well, if we could give her the opportunity of a do-over, maybe she would indeed do something differently -- but we'd have to raise Conrad from the dead to do it, so we can't do that. He got out of the car - he got out of the car - he got out of the car. She had her chance right there, and we know what she did. Reprehensible. She had a pitiful, confused, and depressed human being in her hands, and she told him to snuff his life out. She must go to prison for at least several years. She needs to pay the price, and it's not probation. Not for this.

I wonder if she will take the opportunity to apologize to Conrad's family. She didn't express ANY sort of remorse during the trial and I highly doubt she has sent the Judge a letter saying how sorry she is. She only cried when she realized she was guilty. It actually seemed like at first she thought the Judge was saying she was not guilty at the beginning of his discussion on the verdict and she had to stifle a laugh.

Well, if we could give her the opportunity of a do-over, maybe she would indeed do something differently -- but we'd have to raise Conrad from the dead to do it, so we can't do that. He got out of the car - he got out of the car - he got out of the car. She had her chance right there, and we know what she did. Reprehensible. She had a pitiful, confused, and depressed human being in her hands, and she told him to snuff his life out. She must go to prison for at least several years. She needs to pay the price, and it's not probation. Not for this.

I go back to the fact that his car was parked within walking distance of the police station, if I remember correctly, and all she had to do was call 911. She could have called his family. Instead she told him they would get over his death, as if he weren't a cherished member of their family. Conrad didn't matter to MC, but he mattered to the rest of us. I would never look at my child the same way if she told someone something like that.

She did a test run and already told her friends he was dead. She wanted their attention and she wanted their pity. So once she told them that there was no way in her mind that Carter could live.

I hope she gets 10 years. I would be satisfied with 5 as long as there is no early release. She needs to be punished.

I wonder if she will take the opportunity to apologize to Conrad's family. She didn't express ANY sort of remorse during the trial and I highly doubt she has sent the Judge a letter saying how sorry she is. She only cried when she realized she was guilty. It actually seemed like at first she thought the Judge was saying she was not guilty at the beginning of his discussion on the verdict and she had to stifle a laugh.

I doubt it, since her defense was built around the premise that she was the victim of Conrads relentless depression.
Being the loving caring girlfriend that she was, she just wanted the lad to go to Heaven and be free of his painful life.

I do believe this is how her parents are playing it, and I can see why they would not want to dig to deeply into what her real motivation was. :/

bbm So did I -- her lawyer thought so, too. He put his hand on her shoulder, but then came the BUT from the judge and her world fell apart in a big "poor me" mess. SMH. Monstrous.

The judge really spoke seriously about her telling Conrad to "get back in" -- she had a chance to save his life and redeem herself from the hole she had dug for both of them -- but she could slither out of that hole, and poor Conrad could not. [rant, rant, I know]

I'd like to see her get 10 years -- I don't know what Mass. law is for prison time -- some states give a day for each "good day," thereby allowing a prisoner to cut his/her time in half if good every day -- if something like this is possible in MA, then her sentence wouldn't really be 10 year or whatever. In NC, a prisoner would serve 3/4 of the minimum if no real problems are seen -- if given a 12--15 year sentence, a good prisoner would get out in 9 years in most cases, but he/she would also get parole years.

Does anyone know if this type thing is done in MA state prisons?

Great quote from a law professor...I hope he's right! This is on CNN website but because of videos I can't get the story to link properly.

Medwed believes Carter will receive a prison term of at least five years.
"I doubt he'll throw the (entire) book at her, but probably several hefty chapters," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/

OMG I have been freaking out our internet has been out since yesterday. I was afraid I would miss this very important sentencing today. It just finally came back up. So good to see everyone again
!

I hope the judge gives MC a just sentence with prison time, 10 yrs sounds fair to me or longer.

Justice for Conrad and his family!

I'm glad we all have WS to gather together for this important day!

Love that quote Lilibit! I would be happy if this judge gives her those "several hefty chapters"!

And he just might too... He did work really hard to substantiate his guilty verdict, and I felt he was personally repulsed by her inhumane behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member