GUILTY MA - Conrad Roy, 18, urged by friend, commits suicide, Fairhaven, 13 July 2014 #2 *guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
this judge is looking at this as if she's a child. She's not a child...

Legally, he is bound by law to regard her as a juvenile. It's Juvenile Court. Three freakin' months & she would have been 18 years old.

She was found guilty. She was free until sentencing. She should be locked up now. Noone should be out "awaiting an appeal"!!! Of course there will be an appeal - there almost always is.

What is going on here? No guts?? I am not sorry that I am disgusted by this!

Money talks. A good enough lawyer can keep anyone out of prison.

Seriously! What a joke! He issues the sentence and five minutes later stays his own sentence! WTF?

Because he knows an appeal will be introduced. There are almost always appeals -- unless the defendant takes a plea. That's how our legal system works. Appeals in many cases fail, but the defendant has a right to appeal, so why not?

Ok this situation is really upsetting me. I guess because I have young kids and bullying is so rampant. But here is how I've now decided to think about it.

I think her appeal will be denied. I don't think anything done at trial was improper and her fate is sealed. So, that said, when that appeal is over she will be a grown adult and have to go to an adult prison. She would have really just gotten her life back together over the couple years the appeal process will take. I think it would be way worse for her to go to prison at that point, than a juvenile detention center now. That makes me feel a little better.

This is truly sickening. In order to be "the first" to get the story out about her sentencing, ALL news agencies, local and the BIG ones (who didn't stick to the end to see the STAY being granted) have reported she gets 2.5 years, 15 committed, etc.

THE NEWS agencies did not report it accurately. NOW the "story" is that she DID get a sentence and no one knows she walked out of court today for perhaps YEARS of freedom, if she serves any time at all.

Yeah, it's all a scam. 2.5 years > Commuted > 1.5 years > Stayed > Five Years Probation. It would have been better if the judge had just been honest and given her probation from the start. He had no intention of ever sending her to jail. The judge is all talk and no action. This way he can say he tied to send her to jail, but the appeals keep her out. It's not his fault.

What was the prosecutor talking about when she asked if she could submit a hand written motion? (I think she said motion.)

I agree it is unusual. But her lawyers are very good, and I think they just found a way to keep her out of jail. Now all they have to do is drag out the appeals for five years, and her sentence will expire. I'm sure they are going to go as slow as possible with their appeals.
Her sentence will not expire. It could be overturned and she will not have to serve it, but it will not expire if the appeals take however many years.

I'm finally able to see what I missed. She looks completely strung out. I mean no offense to her but she looks horrible.

I have said this before during the trial that she looks somewhat sedated. Mostly it all rolls off of her. Only asks her lawyer if she is going to jail or not.
Just got off the phone with my sisterinlaw and before I said anything she said "she looked drugged". And of course before that the eveil eyebrows.
So many people are disgusted with it.

Her sentence will not expire. It could be overturned and she will not have to serve it, but it will not expire if the appeals take however many years.

You need to watch it again. The judge even said so. It's all over on August 1, 2022. All they have to do is drag out their appeals for five years, which will be easy. Then they can drop their appeal and she will be free forever. She just got off scot-free.

Watch the video starting at 22:10. The judge said what will happen.

[video=youtube;oN9fLmPh_C4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN9fLmPh_C4[/video]

Legally, he is bound by law to regard her as a juvenile. It's Juvenile Court. Three freakin' months & she would have been 18 years old.

No three weeks. Her birthday is this month and she will be 21. The procecution said that but to deaf ears. She was not 18 at that time but three weeks shy of it.

I agree it is unusual. But her lawyers are very good, and I think they just found a way to keep her out of jail. Now all they have to do is drag out the appeals for five years, and her sentence will expire. I'm sure they are going to go as slow as possible with their appeals.

That is exactly what I am afraid of is dragging the appeals out until her sentence is totally commuted. Ugggggggg!!!!!!!!!

I am having disubing thoughts of her and her family out to dinner celebrating right now.

:tantrum:

That is exactly what I am afraid of is dragging the appeals out until her sentence is totally commuted. Ugggggggg!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, the judge even said that if he stayed the sentence though the federal appeals process, there was no chance that she would ever serve her sentence. The fastest federal appeal would take longer than five years. So he compromised, but he knows that the state appeals will easily take five years. He is just brushing his hands of the matter of having to send her to jail.

How long can they hold off on applying for the appeal? I don't think she will spend a day in jail, not for this.

(b) Appeals in Criminal Cases. In a criminal case, unless otherwise provided by statute, the notice of appeal required by Rule 3 shall be filed with the clerk of the lower court within thirty days after entry of judgment or order appealed from; or entry of a notice of appeal by the Commonwealth; or the imposition of sentence. The running of the time for filing a notice of appeal shall be terminated as to the moving party by a motion for a new trial pursuant to Massachusetts Rules of Criminal Procedure 30 filed in the lower court within thirty days after the verdict or finding of guilt or within thirty days after imposition of sentence and the full time fixed by this rule shall commence to run and shall be computed from the date of entry of an order denying such motion.

http://www.mass.gov/courts/case-legal-res/rules-of-court/appellate-procedure/mrap4.html

I am having disubing thoughts of her and her family out to dinner celebrating right now.

:tantrum:

I'd suggest they stay in...
When his younger sister was reading her heartbreaking statement. MC looked...totally bored. I could just imagine her thinking, how insufferable to have to sit through "these people", when she was waiting hear about...herself. And only then, did she show any 'emotion'.

So she can't appeal while locked up?

Inmates without money have to do it all the time.

I have said this before during the trial that she looks somewhat sedated. Mostly it all rolls off of her. Only asks her lawyer if she is going to jail or not.
Just got off the phone with my sisterinlaw and before I said anything she said "she looked drugged". And of course before that the eveil eyebrows.
So many people are disgusted with it.

Yeah, what's up with the Groucho Marx eyebrows? She must have read in some beauty blog that natural brows (unwaxed, not plucked, or shaped)are in right now.

Edit: I think she has been sedated every day in court because I believe she is probably prone to temper tantrums and they didn't want her acting like a brat in front of the Judge. Or she is a drug user.

This was a very novel case... I think in juvenile court a judge is more compelled to error on the side of leniency and potential rehabilitation.

I do feel he may have gone over board to show impartiality that he may not have felt. Pity because she already had her Disney fantasy, and her debt is past do. imo

I think it's a combination of factors that allowed for a stay - the short sentence (as others have said, it could be totally served by the time the appeal was decided), her age, the controversy of the conviction and her social status and/or heritage. The justice system treats people of certain social status and/or ethnic backgrounds as more dangerous than others and sentences them and grants perks like stays, accordingly. That's a fact.

I thought the prosecute said three WEEKS.?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member