GUILTY MA - Conrad Roy, 18, urged by friend, commits suicide, Fairhaven, 13 July 2014 #2 *guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gitana can you weigh in on whether her sentence will "expire" after 5 years? I watched the video Kaboom posted but I just don't think that is what the Judge is saying. My understanding, and I could be wrong, of where the 5 year thing came from is that if she were to start her sentence today and serve her 15 months of her 2.5 year sentence, as long as she didn't get in trouble before 5 years is up, she won't have to serve the remainder of the sentence. But if she got in trouble on probation she would have to serve out her sentence.

I think that discussion about 5 years was before the Defense asked for a stay, so that was why the date was August 2022, but I assume that the clock starts on her sentence the moment she starts serving it if she doesn't win her appeal.

She looks very...unusual. Very mentally disturbed. Reminds me of one of the famous Munchausen by proxy cases - Mary Beth Tinning. I remember reading she came to work looking very odd, at the height of her murderous spree, killing her nine babies. She showed up to work with no eyebrows or partial eyebrows "penciled in with great, big, black lines."
https://books.google.com/books?id=p...v=onepage&q=marybeth tinning eyebrows&f=false

This is not meant as a disparagement of her appearance, but as an observation as to how (I have heard) mental disturbance can sometimes manifest itself in a bizarre appearance.

She looks very...unusual. Very mentally disturbed. Reminds me of one of the famous Munchausen by proxy cases - Mary Beth Tinning. I remember reading she came to work looking very odd, at the height of her murderous spree, killing her nine babies. She showed up to work with no eyebrows or partial eyebrows "penciled in with great, big, black lines."
https://books.google.com/books?id=p...v=onepage&q=marybeth tinning eyebrows&f=false

This is not meant as a disparagement of her appearance, but as an observation as to how (I have heard) mental disturbance can sometimes manifest itself in a bizarre appearance.

I've noticed in photos from years past that her eyebrows have been come sort of a work in progress. They have darkened up and become thicker over time. I've also noticed she seems to have thinning hair and I wondered if she had that problem where someone pulls their hairs out. If so I wonder if she does it to the eyebrows too? Maybe she was filling them in over time and today just got a little carried away.

I'd suggest they stay in...
When his younger sister was reading her heartbreaking statement. MC looked...totally bored. I could just imagine her thinking, how insufferable to have to sit through "these people", when she was waiting hear about...herself. And only then, did she show any 'emotion'.
She's probably trying to figure out why they aren't "over it" yet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

When his younger sister was reading her heartbreaking statement. MC looked...totally bored. I could just imagine her thinking, how insufferable to have to sit through "these people", when she was waiting hear about...herself. And only then, did she show any 'emotion'.

Post of the day! :goodpost:

Yeah, what's up with the Groucho Marx eyebrows? She must have read in some beauty blog that natural brows (unwaxed, not plucked, or shaped)are in right now.

Edit: I think she has been sedated every day in court because I believe she is probably prone to temper tantrums and they didn't want her acting like a brat in front of the Judge. Or she is a drug user.

Her eyebrows didn't look like she drew them on with a Sharpie when this case first started. I'd guess she might be on xanax, but she looked like she had puffy eyes, maybe from crying?

Gitana can you weigh in on whether her sentence will "expire" after 5 years? I watched the video Kaboom posted but I just don't think that is what the Judge is saying. My understanding, and I could be wrong, of where the 5 year thing came from is that if she were to start her sentence today and serve her 15 months of her 2.5 year sentence, as long as she didn't get in trouble before 5 years is up, she won't have to serve the remainder of the sentence. But if she got in trouble on probation she would have to serve out her sentence.

I think that discussion about 5 years was before the Defense asked for a stay, so that was why the date was August 2022, but I assume that the clock starts on her sentence the moment she starts serving it if she doesn't win her appeal.

Well, the judge's concern was that if he allowed the stay to continue though the federal appeals process, the ruling could come after the end of her sentence. So the next question is why didn't the judge have the same concerns about the state appeals process? Why didn't he just make her probation longer, so there would be time for the appeals process to take place before the end of her sentence? I would argue that it was because he didn't really want to send her to jail. He just wanted to put on a big show for the Roy family, to make them think he cared about them. He changed from a lion when he found her guilty to a mouse when he sentenced her.

Less than a month ago, when she was shown coming out of a tanning salon, she looked fine, ( if slightly annoyed). Remember that? And the one where she was wearing that ironic tee-shirt that said, "Get up Stand up, Don't give up the fight!" ?

My guess is she had a hard time sleeping this week, (certainly at least last night?), and I am glad if she did, even if the only reason was anxiety for her own life. She had none when she was pressuring Conrad to discard his. Nor when he he was making his last painful gasps, so only fitting she feel something "painfully uncomfortable" now. Small Favors....

I don't think she's "mentally ill". I think she's devoid of what it is that makes a person "Human"... a structural deformity. I will bet you a week from now she will be out on a beach somewhere, right as rain again.
4190CB0D00000578-0-image-a-2_1498146193386.jpg

In his remarks, the judge said that if someone were to go to jail and serve the jail sentence, and then an appeal reversed the verdict, then the prisoner, whose verdict has now been nullified, has already served time which cannot be given back. That was a main concern, seemed to me, for the judge to stay the sentence until whatever appeals appropriate had been exhausted.

Well, the judge's concern was that if he allowed the stay to continue though the federal appeals process, the ruling could come after the end of her sentence. So the next question is why didn't the judge have the same concerns about the state appeals process? Why didn't he just make her probation longer, so there would be time for the appeals process to take place before the end of her sentence? I would argue that it was because he didn't really want to send her to jail. He just wanted to put on a big show for the Roy family, to make them think he cared about them. He changed from a lion when he found her guilty to a mouse when he sentenced her.

I think the point he was trying to make about letting the stay be in place through state vs federal appeals is that by the time she lost all of her federal appeals she would need to start the sentence and had she not waited so long she would have been free to live her life. IMO. Sentences don't expire, I'm pretty sure. She was sentenced to pay a debt to society for her actions and I don't believe that goes away just because she drags her feet. Otherwise why aren't other defendants who are out waiting on appeals doing the same thing?

https://www.google.com/amp/boston.cbslocal.com/2017/08/03/michelle-carter-sentencing/amp/

"Cataldo said he’s confident Carter eventually will be vindicated. He said his appeal will be based on several grounds, including his argument Carter’s text messages and conversations with Roy amounted to free speech protected by the Constitution. He said he will also argue Carter didn’t break any laws because Massachusetts doesn’t have a law against assisting or encouraging suicide."

I am having disubing thoughts of her and her family out to dinner celebrating right now.

:tantrum:

I have held my tongue all day, but this has bothered me since watching the judge give his sentence. I thought her mother looked like she was waiting to bust out in joy at any moment. She did not seem appropriately dressed nor particularly affected by the enormous effect of her daughter's actions. It is no wonder the daughter seems self-righteous, she may have learned it from home. JMO

No. Her sentence doesn't "expire" in 5 years. Let's say her appeals go on for five years. At the end, she still has to serve 15 months, if she loses those appeals. However, the suspended sentence portion of the 2.5 years may be lost, because he gave a specific end date to the suspended portion rather than a fixed amount of time (like "15 months committed sentence and thereafter 21 months suspended.") That is what I think the judge may have been getting at.

However, while I didn't see the ruling on the motion, the defense was only asking for the incarceration portion to be suspended and not the probation requirements portion, so I don't know why the court would give them more than they asked for.

What that means is that the probation terms kick in immediately, such as not profiting off the case, the psych assessments, and whatever other terms there were and should she violate those terms, she can be incarcerated now, pending an appeal, because her violation would act to revoke probation. And that's a separate crime.

Less than a month ago, when she was shown coming out of a tanning salon, she looked fine, ( if slightly annoyed). Remember that? And the one where she was wearing that ironic tee-shirt that said, "Get up Stand up, Don't give up the fight!" ?

My guess is she had a hard time sleeping this week, (certainly at least last night?), and I am glad if she did, even if the only reason was anxiety for her own life. She had none when she was pressuring Conrad to discard his. Nor when he he was making his last painful gasps, so only fitting she feel something "painfully uncomfortable" now. Small Favors....

I don't think she's "mentally ill". I think she's devoid of what it is that makes a person "Human"... a structural deformity. I will bet you a week from now she will be out on a beach somewhere, right as rain again.
attachment.php

May she live a haunted life.

In his remarks, the judge said that if someone were to go to jail and serve the jail sentence, and then an appeal reversed the verdict, then the prisoner, whose verdict has now been nullified, has already served time which cannot be given back. That was a main concern, seemed to me, for the judge to stay the sentence until whatever appeals appropriate had been exhausted.

Agreed.

https://www.google.com/amp/boston.cbslocal.com/2017/08/03/michelle-carter-sentencing/amp/

"Cataldo said he’s confident Carter eventually will be vindicated. He said his appeal will be based on several grounds, including his argument Carter’s text messages and conversations with Roy amounted to free speech protected by the Constitution. He said he will also argue Carter didn’t break any laws because Massachusetts doesn’t have a law against assisting or encouraging suicide."

I really enjoyed the state's quick retort to that nonsense, when arguing against the stay: This is not about assisted suicide or free speech no matter how much the defense wants to make it so. It's an involuntary manslaughter case. She created a duty and then violated her duty to act. She was wanton and reckless. Period.

I have held my tongue all day, but this has bothered me since watching the judge give his sentence. I thought her mother looked like she was waiting to bust out in joy at any moment. She did not seem appropriately dressed nor particularly affected by the enormous effect of her daughter's actions. It is no wonder the daughter seems self-righteous, she may have learned it from home. JMO

So disturbing. Does anyone have a link to that footage? I'd like to see it. (Or maybe I won't!!).

So disturbing. Does anyone have a link to that footage? I'd like to see it. (Or maybe I won't!!).

(I snipped your post, G)
Sentencing: (mom is hard to see clearly. Pay attention starting @ 28.3, and particularly at 31.45)
[video=youtu;oN9fLmPh_C4]http://youtu.be/oN9fLmPh_C4[/video]

Justice?? I see none here.IMO She abused not only the son but the mother with those letters.The mother did everything to help her son and MC
destroyed it.Laws need to change now! Mark my word we will hear about her in the future,she is deranged.

(I snipped your post, G)
Sentencing: (mom is hard to see clearly. Pay attention starting @ 28.3, and particularly at 31.45)
[video=youtu;oN9fLmPh_C4]http://youtu.be/oN9fLmPh_C4[/video]

Bare in mind, G1, there was a LOT that went on before the start of this clip. I hope they eventually post the live stream in it's entirely. It's cruel, and obnoxious but a true study in abnormal Psychology. And a riveting, and starkly contrasting example of what "being Human" looks like from Conrad's little sister Camden.

Well hopefully he is wrong. I can't imagine how he can appeal this when they tried every route possible to get the charges dismissed because of these same issues. If I were her mother I would *need* her to go away for at least 15 months before I could even look her in the face after what she did.

Thank you for explaining how her sentence works, Gitana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member