MA - Conrad Roy, 18, urged by friend, commits suicide, Fairhaven, 13 July 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Note, it also says speech which was actually assisted in suicide was not protected. Telling someone to get back in the truck knowing it was full of lethal poisonous gas assisted in Conrads death.
Thank goodness there's hope a conviction will withstand appeals.

These cases may differ depending on state laws. But hopefully the state tacs on more minor accumulative charges in order to get her a longer sentence just in case she beats the main charge. If not ; more kids will prey on others and start boasting about how they continually coerced somebody to commit suicide. They may can charge her with hindering a missing person investigation. Or something. Idk. But right now she is looking like she can be the spawn of Melchert-Dinkel. Lol

Encouraging someone to commit suicide is free speech? What happened to the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

This is why I think technology & SM will change laws. They can be used to manipulate people. Although, as I explained in my last post, people can manipulate others to make life unbearable for them without technology, SM & technology create a permanent record of people's words. I think holding people accountable is a step in the right direction. Maybe the Melchert-Dinkel case was a step in the right direction even if it amounted to no more than telling him, "No, no! Bad boy!" It may eventually lead to changes in the law.

I have heard that there are websites instructing people how to commit suicide. I don't think only one person was guilty of doing what M-D did. Technology enables certain personality types to manipulate others through SM; it seems fitting that technology be used to convict people who do so.

Oh my, those texts of his are so utterly heartbreaking.

I know and I keep thinking about how the words seem like a giant cry for help, I mean if someone wasn't conflicted about their plan to die I feel like they wouldn't reach out to anyone at all for fear they'd be stopped. It's painful to read even for an outsider, and to think his words were sent direct to his little sister and she had to read them unfiltered. That too should have been the mom's decision on what to share.

I know and I keep thinking about how the words seem like a giant cry for help, I mean if someone wasn't conflicted about their plan to die I feel like they wouldn't reach out to anyone at all for fear they'd be stopped. It's painful to read even for an outsider, and to think his words were sent direct to his little sister and she had to read them unfiltered. That too should have been the mom's decision on what to share.
BBM. Yep, take Robin Williams for a prime example. He really wanted to end his life, his wife whom he loved was in the same house and didn't even know. No suicide notes, no phone calls. He first tried to slit his wrists and when that didn't work he decided on another method that was foolproof. He was in so much pain he made a final decision without reaching out for help.

http://http://www.southcoasttoday.com/article/20150302/NEWS/150309869

Wow, and is it me or does she speak condescendingly to his mother, almost like she's the adult, older, wiser one...

Reading those texts brought tears to my eyes. Much of what Conrad allegedly wrote, I have felt first hand. Depression is a horrible disease. Med's can sometimes make the mind feel funny and mess with the memory while adjusting to them. My heart honestly greives for Conrad's mom. She was deceived by Michelle in the worst way possible.

It appears to me Michelle made adult decisions and should reap adult consequences. Who was she to decide Conrad could not get better because she could not fix him? Seriously, she got tired of going the long haul with his possible recovery and she decided the best option was to push him towards taking his life. She knows nothing. I know kids in 4th and 5th grade who already know to recognize when something is more than they are capable of handling and to reach out for adult assistance. I'll never understand her thinking.

Conrad needed an adult who could help him navigate the way to recovery. He needed to know those irrational thoughts were not a shortcoming or fault, but a result of some misfiring in his brain. Whether it be chemical, electrical. (I liken it to spark plugs misfiring and an engine not starting until the parts are repaired.) He needed someone with patience and the ability to walk beside him, even when they didn't quite understand what he was feeling or going through. Someone who would encourage him to trust the professionals (psychiatrists, therapists....) and someone who told him it was OK to not rush through everything and that it would take time, but it ALWAYS gets better.

Instead he got some young inexperience girl who thought she could rescue him and when she didn't have the answers, pushed him into making the worst possible decision. Not only did she push him when he was at his most fragile, she hid the seriousness from his parents. All while fully knowing exactly what he was doing, when he was going to do it, and how he planned it.

So increadly heartbreaking. This didn't have to happen.

I highly doubt if she suffers from MBP.
But I would be looking at sociopathic tendencies, psychopathy, narcissism, or BPD.
I would think those should be investigated.

All moo.

I think that too. People here are comparing Michelle Carter to Jodi Arias.

http://http://www.southcoasttoday.com/article/20150302/NEWS/150309869

Wow, and is it me or does she speak condescendingly to his mother, almost like she's the adult, older, wiser one...

Oh my, those texts of his are so utterly heartbreaking.
Oh, the poor thing. That is not only depression. It's clear he had intense anxiety disorders. With OCD intrusive thoughts, I'm sure he felt he was going out of his mind and he'd never have a chance at feeling normal. His depression was the result of having to struggle with the anxiety disorder and intrusive thoughts on a constant basis. My heart breaks for him.

Oh, the poor thing. That is not only depression. It's clear he had intense anxiety disorders. With OCD intrusive thoughts, I'm sure he felt he was going out of his mind and he'd never have a chance at feeling normal. His depression was the result of having to struggle with the anxiety disorder and intrusive thoughts on a constant basis. My heart breaks for him.
I think she may have fabricated some parts like when she said that he felt that he wouldnt make a good husband for her or good father to their kid, etc. Her text to his mother sound like they were an engaged couple. Plus she could have altered or even wrote some of the things she shared with the sister that was suppose to be from Conrad. It sound like she wanted to look like she was his confidant and wife and sole holder of his last will and testament and declaration of love to his family. Jmo

I think she may have fabricated some parts like when she said that he felt that he wouldnt make a good husband for her or good father to their kid, etc. Her text to his mother sound like they were an engaged couple. Plus she could have altered or even wrote some of the things she shared with the sister that was suppose to be from Conrad. It sound like she wanted to look like she was his confidant and wife and sole holder of his last will and testament and declaration of love to his family. Jmo
She may have fabricated the stuff about her, but she couldn't have fabricated his struggle with intrusive negative thoughts. At such a young age, I highly doubt she could understand such a thing exists.

I know two people who went through this, and they literally thought they were going insane because they never got a break from their racing intrusive negative thoughts. The key is the proper med combination at the proper dosage. The main problem is finding competent mental health professionals who can quickly figure out the right meds before the patients give up entirely.

Many times when one threatens to commit suicide and tells someone they love or are close to, it’s really a call for help. They do not want to commit suicide, they are desperate and hopeless and reaching out to someone. Instead of doing what most would do if someone came to you threatening to kill themselves, she coaxed him for days, even a week or so before. Helping him research the best way and how much carbon monoxide it would take. She did this up until the very end.. even when he got out of the vehicle and told her he was scared and didn’t want to leave his family. At that point, maybe she made him feel like he was at the point of no return. That he had to. Had she been a human being and a friend, he would be getting help now, he would not be dead. JMO

And that is a shame but no one killed him but him. He is the only one responsible for his death. Now to charge her with violating something else,like some good Samaritan law, I get but not for the death.

I don't like charging other people for suicides. That is just too much for me. We have become a nation where we want to blame everyone else for our own problems or issues. We have to own our own stuff.

And that is a shame but no one killed him but him. He is the only one responsible for his death. Now to charge her with violating something else, like some good Samaritan law, I get but not for the death.

I don't like charging other people for suicides. That is just too much for me. We have become a nation where we want to blame everyone else for our own problems or issues. We have to own our own stuff.
Degrees of murder are the official charge for assisted suicide in Massachusetts.

Massachusetts Laws on Assisted Suicide

Assisted suicide is governed by common law in Massachusetts. Common law is a body of law that is based on custom and general principles and is embodied in case law that serves as precedent or is applied to situations not covered by statute. In general, assisted suicide is covered by the murder statute and a statute within the laws for health care proxies.

Section 1. Murder committed with deliberately premeditated malice aforethought, or with extreme atrocity or cruelty, or in the commission or attempted commission of a crime punishable with death or imprisonment for life, is murder in the first degree. Murder which does not appear to be in the first degree is murder in the second degree. Petit treason shall be prosecuted and punished as murder. The degree of murder shall be found by the jury.

http://euthanasia.procon.org/view.re...esourceID=5104

Degrees of murder are the official charge for assisted suicide in Massachusetts.

That is not assisted suicide to me. That would be shooting someone or gving someone meds.

The problem is that we have no idea what he was thinking. At any point he could have stopped and walked away and he didn't because his intention was to die. We want to blame others because Suicide is so flipping awful but it is what it is, Someone choosing to end their own life. Not someone else choosing for them. IMO

Did the family know how much he struggled with depression? Michelle wrote about trying to help him, but did she ever reach out to his family. I can't imagine why Michelle would think no one would ever read his last texts. I understand suicide is tricky but he seemed very concern for his family. I quickly read the messages she sent Conrads mom, and I also felt something was off. I am going to read the messages from Conrad.

I edit some of my opinions out.

I wonder what all the other texts were about.

I think there is a possibility that Conrad thought he would be rescued again. That he was worth saving...maybe that is what he needed to hear. Maybe it never occurred to him that she wouldnt take any action other than to revel in the experience and prolong it with a fund raiser and self serving texts and posts.

Oops, that sounded harsh. I am admittedly bitter today. I am especially bitter when someone chooses to prey on the weak and vulnerable which is how I see this case. She is fairly charged and perhaps under charged. jmvho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChriNBelusk0