MA - Conrad Roy, 18, urged by friend, commits suicide, Fairhaven, 13 July 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will wait to see what she did with that $2300 she fundraised in his honor before voting for the max. Btw: With the text we have seen so far makes me believe that her actions should not go unpunished. They lived a hour away from each other; so its not like she had to deal with him on a consistent basis. This shows me she preyed on him. Besides if they let her go then it will send the wrong message to kids about encouraging and antagonizing a friend to commit suicide. Jmo.

I agree. Using your post as a spring board. She had the choice to bow out. Not answer her phone, block his number, change her number. She didn't. We haven't seen the thousands of texts sent between them, and what appears to be contradictory stories between her conversations/texts with his family and her friends in the hours and days leading up to the suicide.

Yes, of course that is possible. It's also possible that she could have begged him not to, called his parents, called the police, and rushed over with a siren blaring on the top of her car and the outcome would be the same. I am more than willing to condemn her bad character or judgement, but I will not ascribe to her the legal responsibility for his death, it's simply more complex than that.

I'd agree with all of that. I'm torn on criminal culpability, on the one hand I hate the ever expanding culture of blame so prevalent now, but on the other this is clear in its reckless and wanton disregard for the life of another. I guess I'll wait for more facts to see how it plays in regard to criminal intent, but I have all the facts I need to have made my mind up on moral responsibility.

That's just it, it didn't have to be Herculean in that moment, he reached out in doubt, he'd stopped. I have to think if he really wanted to die that day, he never would have gotten out of the vehicle saying he wasn't sure, his intent would never have swayed. I understand that doesn't mean he would suddenly have been okay or wouldn't have gone on to another attempt that ended his life, but in that very moment he was unsure and she told him to go ahead. People do overcome suicidal intent, it does happen, and what if just maybe she hadn't said get back in so he didn't? A small chance to overcome it is better than no chance.

Preach on preacher. I agree with your statement totally.

I'd agree with all of that. I'm torn on criminal culpability, on the one hand I hate the ever expanding culture of blame so prevalent now, but on the other this is clear in its reckless and wanton disregard for the life of another. I guess I'll wait for more facts to see how it plays in regard to criminal intent, but I have all the facts I need to have made my mind up on moral responsibility.

You hit on the head my problem with these charges. Our "culture of blame," to borrow your phrase, is an exercise in misdirection. Pay no attention to the fact that we lose 40,000 Americans to suicide each year (more than car accidents) that over 57 million Americans have a diagnosable mental illness, or that 22 veterans commit suicide every single day. Instead look at this mean girl. She's the real problem.

You hit on the head my problem with these charges. Our "culture of blame," to borrow your phrase, is an exercise in misdirection. Pay no attention to the fact that we lose 40,000 Americans to suicide each year (more than car accidents) that over 57 million Americans have a diagnosable mental illness, or that 22 veterans commit suicide every single day. Instead look at this mean girl. She's the real problem.
So if she did this to your kid; What would you want to see done with her? Just curious. Dont lie now.

That's unfair. She isn't responsible for the broad spectrum you mention in your post, but in her own words, she states she could have stopped him and she states she wasn't going to let him change his mind and why she wasn't going to let him live like that anymore. Her own words mention she told him to get back in the car when he had exited after changing his mind. She WAS and IS Conrad and the Roy families problem.

Heck, she even asked him to let her know when he was going to do it in the days prior to his actually committing the act.

(source, previous msm links)

Ah, but therein lies the conundrum. One cannot take exception to those who ascribe to a culture mentality, but then overlook individual action. Her individual actions in this singular situation deserve scrutiny, and do deserve blame to some extent.

That's unfair. She isn't responsible for the broad spectrum you mention in your post, but in her own words, she states she could have stopped him and she states she wasn't going to let him change his mind and why she wasn't going to let him live like that anymore. Her own words mention she told him to get back in the car when he had exited after changing his mind. She WAS and IS Conrad and the Roy families problem.

Heck, she even asked him to let her know when he was going to do it in the days prior to his actually committing the act.

We should make your post a sticky for Schuby. Hmmmm

Yes, of course that is possible. It's also possible that she could have begged him not to, called his parents, called the police, and rushed over with a siren blaring on the top of her car and the outcome would be the same. I am more than willing to condemn her bad character or judgement, but I will not ascribe to her the legal responsibility for his death, it's simply more complex than that.

I will.

THANK YOU. For me, it i more than just the way she messed with his head. She also brought his baby sister to hysterics with a cruel text, all the while pretending it was the words of the teen. And they way she mocked his family and played with them, while they were trying to find him and were so fearful. She bold-faced lied to them about his whereabouts, about his intentions. She prevented them from doing any kind of intervention, pretending she had no idea where he was. when she was simultaneously communicating w/him and urging him to die. She orchestrated this.

I think some are minimizing her actions and the power of her intentions here. And the icing on the sick cake was the way she milked it in the aftermath---throwing the fundraiser, posting all the 'memorial' memes, pretending to be so grief stricken. It just screams Sociopath, to me.

What does that even mean?

I just think he is confusing the difference with this case vs how hard it is not to set off a suicidal person. That post and Katydid23 post are good examples on how this situation is way different than the point he is trying to make. But still no offense to his point of view.

How about the crowds who shouted "Jump?". I have linked the articles in my previous post.

How about the crowds who shouted "Jump?". I have linked the articles in my previous post.

Were they his confidant and phone buddy and friend like michelle or were they just a pack of wolves screaming for blood?

So if she did this to your kid; What would you want to see done with her? Just curious. Dont lie now.

I have been through the suicide of a loved one. In the immediate aftermath of something like that, everyone tries to cobble together whatever they can to make it make sense. People come to you with stories of all kinds of things they did/witnessed/heard about that, etc., in hope of giving rationality to this thing that is inherently irrational. I understand how someone removed can be baited into thinking "he did this because of x," (in this case x being the young lady in question). I can't speak for this young man's parents and I won't pretend to. My own experience is that the endless theories of why become background noise to an event you were despairing many years before it finally happened. You want to get angry at someone? How about getting angry at the people slashing budgets for mental health care? Or the doctors who refuse to discuss a patient's care or changes in medication with his family, or the hospitals that decide a person doesn't need to be admitted because there aren't any more beds in the psychiatric unit? I've got a long list of things to be angry about, but this girl? She was just a momentary tourist in the long sad of treating mental health in this country.

I think some are minimizing her actions and the power of her intentions here. And the icing on the sick cake was the way she milked it in the aftermath---throwing the fundraiser, posting all the 'memorial' memes, pretending to be so grief stricken. It just screams Sociopath, to me.

This part really gets me too. As a mom I've always been vigilant in keeping up with the social media activity of mine, and in the course of that noticed the trend of these memorial memes and such whenever a tragic death occurred of a young peer. I guess it can be a way of healing and moving on mixed with some immaturity and lack of real experience with death at that age so I understand, but I also saw instances where some were just so much more into it and I'd wonder where or whom the benefit of it was for. I see that factor here, she knew it would be a tragic event and saw the chance for attention and sympathy, but in this instance it's not an innocent overuse drawing attention in the aftermath. She was an active participant in what happened and even encouraged it, so her blatant use of it for self-serving attention is that much more sickening.

THANK YOU. For me, it i more than just the way she messed with his head. She also brought his baby sister to hysterics with a cruel text, all the while pretending it was the words of the teen. And they way she mocked his family and played with them, while they were trying to find him and were so fearful. She bold-faced lied to them about his whereabouts, about his intentions. She prevented them from doing any kind of intervention, pretending she had no idea where he was. when she was simultaneously communicating w/him and urging him to die. She orchestrated this.

She didn't just milk it in the days following. She was milking it in the days prior to the event. Now I am wondering if part of the reason she orchestrated this is because she had already told her friends he was dead. How would it look when her friends found out he was alive if he had changed his mind? Thing is he did change his mind. He did try to help himself before MC intervened telling him to get back into the truck.

Days prior to Roy’s suicide, Carter was allegedly telling her friends “it’s her fault that Conrad is dead, even though he was still alive and speaking and texting with her regularly,” police said.
South Coast Today reported that on July 11, 2014, Carter texted a friend saying she couldn’t locate Roy and was “a mess,” then an hour later texted Roy and allegedly said, “Let me know when you’re gonna do it."

http://fox59.com/2015/02/27/investi...suicide-then-tweeted-how-much-she-missed-him/

Ah, but therein lies the conundrum. One cannot take exception to those who ascribe to a culture mentality, but then overlook individual action. Her individual actions in this singular situation deserve scrutiny, and do deserve blame to some extent.

We can and we do. We revere George Washington and Tommy J (both owners of slave plantations) while also condemning the ante bellum slave culture.

Sorry Schuby but this is Compliments of Katydid23

For me, it is more than just the way she messed with his head. She also brought his baby sister to hysterics with a cruel text, all the while pretending it was the words of the teen. And the way she mocked his family and played with them, while they were trying to find him and were so fearful. She bold-faced lied to them about his whereabouts, about his intentions. She prevented them from doing any kind of intervention, pretending she had no idea where he was. when she was simultaneously communicating w/him and urging him to die. She orchestrated this.*

“Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Please pay attention. I have said this five times now. Have pity on me and don't make me say it again. I AM NOT SAYING SHE IS A GOOD PERSON. I don't know the chick. SHE SOUNDS PRETTY LAME. I am not arguing on behalf of her delightful personality or sunny disposition. I am saying that people don't commit suicide because someone texts them that it sounds like a groovy idea.

We can and we do. We revere George Washington and Tommy J (both owners of slave plantations) while also condemning the ante bellum slave culture.

I'm trying to stay sober; but after reading some of your reasonings for this case; I think I may need a drink. Can I have some of yours so maybe I can understand your rationale more clearly. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro