MA - Conrad Roy, 18, urged by friend, commits suicide, Fairhaven, 13 July 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please pay attention. I have said this five times now. Have pity on me and don't make me say it again. I AM NOT SAYING SHE IS A GOOD PERSON. I don't know the chick. SHE SOUNDS PRETTY LAME. I am not arguing on behalf of her delightful personality or sunny disposition. I am saying that people don't commit suicide because someone texts them that it sounds like a groovy idea.

But it was MORE than that. Have you read the texts and the way she involved herself?

She did not make him commit suicide. But she did ENCOURAGE him to do so, repeatedly and directly. And she did use mind tricks on people. She is very manipulative and cunning, in a bad way. I think you are minimizing her role in all of this. JMO

I guess my question to you would be how many encouraging texts would it take for you to commit suicide? 10? 100? 1000? A million? Ballpark it for me.

I'm trying to stay sober; but after reading some of your reasonings for this case; I think I may need a drink. Can I have some of yours so maybe I can understand your rationale more clearly. Lol.

Please explain to me how the above example does not reflect our willingness to indict a culture while absolving an individual. I'm all ears.

In my opinion, the thread title is misleading. It's not that someone 'made' someone else commit suicide, but it's that someone 'encouraged' or 'counseled' someone else to commit suicide. And so, regarding issues like culpability, we're not talking about someone who pulled a trigger, but someone who was involved as an accessory, or worse, and so there is still potential culpability there.

But it was MORE than that. Have you read the texts and the way she involved herself?

Jumping off your post. I read five or six of her texts out of hundreds or more. I would like to see them all to understand the context and what her intent was. She didn't act prudently in this situation but I don't yet know if there was malice involved.

I guess my question to you would be how many encouraging texts would it take for you to commit suicide? 10? 100? 1000? A million? Ballpark it for me.

So if she conspired with him and demanded him to kill her boyfriend and he did; Wouldnt that be conspiracy to commit murder.

I think a timeline of texts will help clear up some of the confusion here. (though, I don't think we will see the complete picture until trial, should this make it to trial.)

Has anyone started a timeline?

A few things that stick out.

July 10, 3:00 pm (appx) MC texts friend that Conrad can't be found and she texted his mother to see if he is alright.
July 10, 3:15 pm MC receives text from Conrad
July 11, evening unknown time, MC texts a friend stating she still hasn't found him and is a mess.
July 11, evening, approximately 1 hour later MC texts Conrad and asks him "let me know when you're gonna do it"
July 11, late evening. Texts her friends telling them it is her fault Conrad is dead.
July 12, MC spends day speaking with and texting Conrad via phone.
July 12, Last contact between MC and Conrad approximately 6:26pm.
July 13, Conrad's found deceased in his pickup truck behind a store.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/article/20150227/NEWS/150229466/101194/EDU02?template=printart

I'm sure there is more detail to the timeline between July 10th and 13th when his body was found. This gives us an example of how much time she spent discussing this event with him before it occured. She had days, not hours or minutes, but days to attempt to help him. She did not.

The length of time is where I see the problem. This isn't a momentary thing, or a few minutes where a teen has to make a quick decision and made the wrong one. She had at least 3 days to reach out to someone and try and get help for Conrad.

Some unanswered questions. Did she really text Conrads mom prior to his committing suicide?
Was she communicating with him while he purchased the items used to commit suicide?

So if she told him to kill her boyfriend and he did; Wouldnt that be conspiracy to commit murder.

Yes. You see there are these things we have called "laws." They determine what behaviors are criminal. Killing another person is a violation of the "law." Killing oneself is not a violation of, again, what we like to call "law."

Yes. You see there are these things we have call "laws." They determine what behaviors are criminal. Killing another person is a violation of the "law." Killing oneself is not a violation of, again, what we like to call "law."

And assisted suicide is not against the law?

And assisted suicide is not against the law?

Really? Are we going there? Fine. Let's go there (for the record I do so under protest). In terms of the legal minutia, this in no way, in no court, in no state, and before no judge meets the standard of assisted suicide. She wasn't even physically present.

If I was talking about killing myself, I would hope my boyfriend would not encourage me to do so.

If I texted him that I had just climbed out of a cloud of carbon monoxide, I would hope he did not reply by saying GET BACK IN THE TRUCK!

If my parents were looking for me, as I hid myself away to ponder suicide, I would hope that my boyfriend would not LIE about where I was and what I was pondering, and try to prevent my family from contacting me.

Yes. Would you commit suicide based on her texts?

If I was suicidal, I would hope that my closest friend would urge me to seek help. Not urge me to climb back into the carbon monoxide filled truck.

Really? Are we going there? Fine. Let's go there (for the record I do so under protest). In terms of the legal minutia, this in no way, in no court, in no state, and before no judge meets the standard of assisted suicide. She wasn't even physically present.

That's why they are charging her with involuntary manslaughter my good friend. Maybe you should have showed up at her arraignment and asked for the charges to be dropped. Or just join her defense team and give the closing arguments. The DA obviously feels the charge is appropriate due to the totality of the evidence.

If I was talking about killing myself, I would hope my boyfriend would not encourage me to do so.

If I texted him that I had just climbed out of a cloud of carbon monoxide, I would hope he did not reply by saying GET BACK IN THE TRUCK!

If my parents were looking for me, as I hid myself away to ponder suicide, I would hope that my boyfriend would not LIE about where I was and what I was pondering, and try to prevent my family from contacting me.

Of course. Makes total sense to me. Thing is, we aren't suicidal. People experiencing suicidal ideation have a different reasoning process. The #1 with a bullet, biological imperative of all species is to survive, right? What does that tell you about how degenerated a suicidal person's mental state is? You're talking about it as you would talk about having your car break down, "I'd be so bummed if my boyfriend didn't help me."

That's why they are charging her with involuntary manslaughter my good friend. Maybe you should have showed up at her arraignment and asked for the charges to be dropped. Or just join her defense team and give the closing arguments. The DA obviously feels the charge is appropriate due to the totality of the evidence.

Oh well if the DA thinks the case is solid then it must be. I mean who ever heard of a DA overcharging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member