MA - Conrad Roy, 18, urged by friend, commits suicide, Fairhaven, 13 July 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her lawyer will cherrypick the texts to make it sound like it was all Conrad's idea. Reading the DailyMail article, that's the impression I'd get.

Cataldo is a little bit screwed imvho-he has tried to imply that there were "earlier" texts where she tried to encourage him to get help. If he is hanging his hat on the ones she sent that referenced her own treatment at McLean hospital, I would think that someone is going to have to step into the spotlight with what they are being treated for. Ahem.

The crime itself can be defined within those 45 minutes referenced by the judge, I think. It is like the difference in between degrees of murder charges...was Carter capable of knowing what she was doing during those 45 minutes? If you cast the many months of phone calls and text messaging aside, did she understand the consequences of telling Conrad to get back into the truck?

No way to dodge this one...she did. Because she knew she was going to jail once LE got a hold of Conrad's phone.

The ball is in Cataldo's court, but I hope he isnt hanging his hat on an appeal. jmvho.

Absolutely! Beyond nagging him to commit suicide, not stopping him/actively seeking help, she hindered his family from trying to find him and told him they wouldn't miss him and they'd get over it!!! She is evil, she wanted him to die- she brainwashed him into going through with it, otherwise, if it weren't for her, he'd probably still be alive. This boy just wanted help for his depression. It was all about her.

She hindered his family from trying to find him? Wow - I must have missed that in the document. I will have to go back a re-read.

She hindered his family from trying to find him? Wow - I must have missed that in the document. I will have to go back a re-read.

"Carter is accused of text messaging Roy's mother and sister after his death - asking if they knew where he was."
http://fox6now.com/2015/08/30/his-d...an-encouraged-boyfriend-to-take-his-own-life/

His mother was looking for him at that exact time yet she did not tell the mother where Conrad was. Thus she hindered them from finding him.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/article/20150822/NEWS/150829806
"CARTER: "Do you know where you brother is?"
The sister was surprised that Carter had her phone number. The following morning, Carter text messaged Conrad's mother and asked her if she knew where Conrad was, but made no mention of the fact that she knew Conrad had committed suicide in the K-Mart parking lot.
Conrad's mother informed Carter that "they [had] been looking for him the past few hours and they can't find him."

Ok I really want to know why someone would do this. What is her mental problem? I mean, I can even understand murdering someone because you're angry with them, or burglary (NOT saying I think that behavior is ok, just that I get the "desire" of those less morally inclined). I just can not get the reason for someone to do this. Family life issues, abuse, history of severe psychiatric issues? Any thoughts?

I remember reading about this, IMO. She should be held responsible for her actions.

Ok I really want to know why someone would do this. What is her mental problem? I mean, I can even understand murdering someone because you're angry with them, or burglary (NOT saying I think that behavior is ok, just that I get the "desire" of those less morally inclined). I just can not get the reason for someone to do this. Family life issues, abuse, history of severe psychiatric issues? Any thoughts?

She doesn't have a mental problem. She IS less morally inclined. She is an insensitive, self indulged, evil minded criminal. There is no medical cure for that, no pill. Evil people actually do exist.

MOO

I think they went with manslaughter because there is no law in MA against assisting suicide. I'm pressed for time, so I hope someone can link or you can google. We do know that Carter had spent time at a mental health institution, but we don't know why. It was mentioned earlier. Yes, it would be interesting to know more about her. But as we found with Jodi Arias and others, it doesn't help explain why. Those of us who are "normal" could never understand the thinking of a psycho/sociopath, if that's what she is. JMO

A big Thank You, Lilibet, for your post -- I have been away from this thread for a couple of weeks -- I didn't want to seem uninterested in your response! And I agree, even if we saw the results of a psych discussion/examination of/with Carter, we wouldn't know why. Jealousy? A cruel streak? Was she retaliating for some perceived wrong he had done to her? Was she merely curious to see if he would do it? Millions of "was she," "did she," and "why, why, why?"

Like Munchausen's, she wanted the sympathy playing the grieving girlfriend would bring her. If he failed, she wouldn't get to do that- she'd already told friends he was dead/dying. That's the real reason why she ordered him to get back into the truck. Not because she cared about him or his family.

It really upsets me to see "free speech" invoked.

There is a HUGE difference between "encouraging" and "nagging and badgering" someone. I'm not sure how this will play out, but it's an issue that needs to be addressed. JMO

Here is an interesting analysis.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/is-it-a...setts-case-of-conrad-roy-and-michelle-carter/

Her trial is November 30th. This Washington Post article clears up both sides fairly eloquently. Of course in the prosecutions favor. But the defense makes some points as well. Now I think guilty will be the verdict. But I think some sympathetic judge will go light on the sentence when time comes. Or the Supreme Court will use an election to state their opinions if pushed on an appeal. Jmo.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...y-encouraging-boyfriends-suicide-judge-rules/

There was a court appearance yesterday

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

There was a court appearance yesterday

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2015/11/michelle_carter_teenager_accus.html

Michelle Carter, the Plainville teenager accused of successfully encouraging her boyfriend to kill himself, is expected to appear in Taunton Juvenile Court this morning.

She is currently being charged as a "youthful offender," which allows for more severe sentences and means that the case is public record, unlike the sealed proceedings of most juvenile cases.

Today's pre-trial hearing will be the first time all parties are back in court since Borders upheld the charges in September, according to the Standard-Times.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/article/20151130/NEWS/151139984

Judge Lawrence Moniz suggested Monday in Taunton Juvenile Court that the case against Carter, a Plainville teen, be continued until Jan. 21. Meanwhile, Carter's attorney, Joseph P. Cataldo, is appealing Judge Bettina Borders' decision in September to let stand an involuntary manslaughter charge against her.

Cataldo is seeking a dismissal of the charge.

Moniz told both sides Monday to complete all of their discovery, or evidence-gathering, because he wants to move forward to trial quickly, if the appeal fails. The defense has filed its appeal and prosecutors are in the process of filing an answer.

This could go on and on if the defense has its way. Don't count on January 21 IMO. The wheels of justice grind slowly.

Cataldo is asking a single justice of the state's Supreme Judicial Court to dismiss the involuntary manslaughter charge, or to treat the 18-year-old Carter as a juvenile and not as "a youthful offender," where the penalities would be more severe.

The defense attorney said, if a single justice denies his appeal, he will most likely file an appeal with the entire high court. "I'll ask the full SJC to consider (taking) the case," he said.

BBM

http://m.southcoasttoday.com/article/20151130/NEWS/151139984

She is guilty because she hid the fact from all while being the one to verbally hound him to do it.

It's one thing to know. But to verbally hound someone to kill is a total different thing. Especially when they confide with you that they really need to stop and reconsider. But one decides to verbally hound the person on. Jmo.

That is conspiring to have a murder committed. Jmo

She is guilty because she hid the fact from all while being the one to verbally hound him to do it.

It's one thing to know. But to verbally hound someone to kill is a total different thing. Especially when they confide with you that they really need to stop and reconsider. But one decides to verbally hound the person on. Jmo.

That is conspiring to have a murder committed. Jmo

After reading the transcripts, I don't really see any difference between what she did and actually pointing a gun and pulling the trigger. She murdered him. IMO of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garybeans